CSNbbs
What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? (/thread-686400.html)

Pages: 1 2

What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - Wolfman - 04-16-2014 07:50 AM

It has taken 2,000 years to finally get a D1 football play off. There has already been talk/rumors of expanding the field. What are the chances of a secondary play off (like the NIT)? There certainly are enough good teams (beyond the 4 in the NC play off). It seems like there is enough money out there.

One scenario I could see is the BCS coming back to life and making a deal with what used to be known as the BCS bowls. It would not be easy. They would have to strike a more lucrative deal than the conferences have with their bowls (like the ACC/Orange bowl deal). They would have to get approval from the NCAA, which would be considerably easier if the P5 gets the autonomy they want.

RE: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - Bull_In_Exile - 04-16-2014 07:55 AM

* 0 *

RE: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - arkstfan - 04-16-2014 09:46 AM

(04-16-2014 07:50 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  It has taken 2,000 years to finally get a D1 football play off. There has already been talk/rumors of expanding the field. What are the chances of a secondary play off (like the NIT)? There certainly are enough good teams (beyond the 4 in the NC play off). It seems like there is enough money out there.

One scenario I could see is the BCS coming back to life and making a deal with what used to be known as the BCS bowls. It would not be easy. They would have to strike a more lucrative deal than the conferences have with their bowls (like the ACC/Orange bowl deal). They would have to get approval from the NCAA, which would be considerably easier if the P5 gets the autonomy they want.

The BCS was an entity owned by the (then) 11 conferences and Notre Dame, the CFP is essentially the same entity (operates from the same office space with the same director).

RE: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - BoiseStateOfMind - 04-16-2014 09:57 AM

The laughable excuse for a "playoff" is really just a trumped-up rebranding of the BCS. We will never get a true playoff because, as usual, the P5 are cowards.

RE: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - mac6115cd - 04-16-2014 10:03 AM

This will never happen in the P5; however, I expect the number of playoff teams to grow as soon as they realize how much money the playoofs make.

On the other hand, a G5 playoff may happen. They're D1 but most likely to be excluded from the NC playoffs for as long as the P5 can do it. Of course, that brings up the question of what to do with all the other bowl games.

RE: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - Tbringer - 04-16-2014 10:51 AM

Could see a scenario one day where the G5 schools create their own playoff separate from the power conferences--especially if the P5 one day creates their own organization or even an upper division in the NCAA.

Games might be on the home fields of the higher ranked teams with a nice destination for a final.

Don't see any way to create an NIT type system, the major and minor bowls and bowl cities are taken for the P5 matchups and even some for a few G5 games.

RE: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - arkstfan - 04-16-2014 10:53 AM

I think before the 12 years on this contract runs that they re-negotiate it and make it 6 or 8.

RE: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - john01992 - 04-16-2014 10:59 AM

I think we might see something like this:

only instead of something modeled after the NIT it would be modeled after the preseason BB tournys like the maui (only played in the post season).

i think the concept of having multiple 4 team playoffs with only 1 as the designated (championship playoffs) would be very appealing and a nice way to:
1) get teams to make more money without the headaches of having 16-17 game seasons with an expanded playoffs
2) get more teams to 14/15 games as opposed to just conference championship game & national championship game contenders

RE: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - curtis0620 - 04-16-2014 11:13 AM

We already have a Football NIT. It's called Bowl Games.

RE: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - msm96wolf - 04-16-2014 11:14 AM

(04-16-2014 11:13 AM)curtis0620 Wrote:  We already have a Football NIT. It's called Bowl Games.

NIT - P5 Bowl Games

CBI/CIT - G5 vs G5 Bowl games

RE: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - NotANewbie - 04-16-2014 11:51 AM

(04-16-2014 11:14 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  
(04-16-2014 11:13 AM)curtis0620 Wrote:  We already have a Football NIT. It's called Bowl Games.

NIT - P5 Bowl Games

Chances of an NIT type of event - virtually ZERO in the next ten years. After there is a history with the playoff and changes have been made including expanding it to something like 16 teams, then there will be a chance.

Will we still be posting to these boards by then?

RE: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - arkstfan - 04-16-2014 12:06 PM

Let's see.

Choice 1. Go to Mobile, play someone from the MAC, eat my weight in oysters and shrimp over three or four nights, party on the streets, drink lots of beer, have four to six weeks to plan to take off work and make travel plans.

Choice 2. Find out on Sunday that we have a December home game against a MAC team OR discover we have a Saturday road game in Toledo, OH. With the winner playing the winner of Utah State and Marshall.

Hummm, I like option 1.

RE: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - Native Georgian - 04-16-2014 02:22 PM

All of the crapola bowl games serve a similar basic function for football, as the NIT (and CBI/CIT) does for basketball. It gives decentish teams something to do at the end of the season.

RE: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - Wolfman - 04-16-2014 02:57 PM

The NIT may not be the best analogy. I could see a scenario where, a team like Alabama finishes the season just outside of the NC playoff. They could go to the Sugar, Orange, etc. and make whatever. Or, they could go to a secondary tourney and make the same amount if they only play one game. They would make twice as much if they played 2 games.

This would be a for-profit, invitation type tourney. Alabama would not wind up playing Savannah State. I would think TV would love the opportunity to get Alabama for a 2nd game vs a "crapola bowl."

RE: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - ken d - 04-16-2014 03:22 PM

What would be the point of another tournament? To give more teams a chance to play two more games in the postseason instead of one? You don't need another tournament for that. Just let schools like Alabama play in more than one bowl game. As long as they are scheduled more than a week apart, you're only taking away a bowl opportunity for a lesser team that doesn't deserve it. No big deal, right?

RE: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - Native Georgian - 04-16-2014 03:29 PM

(04-16-2014 03:22 PM)ken d Wrote:  Just let schools like Alabama play in more than one bowl game. As long as they are scheduled more than a week apart, you're only taking away a bowl opportunity for a lesser team that doesn't deserve it. No big deal, right?
Right.

But I doubt it will come to that. We seem to be gravitating towards a system where every team will simply be allowed to play 2 (or 3, if they are not in a CCG) "extra" games after the regular season, if they want to. Whether the extra games have the word "BOWL" as part of their name or not is irrelevant, although I suppose all or almost all of them will.

RE: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - Bull - 04-16-2014 04:02 PM

The playoff is not a playoff, since the schools are 'selected'. Go to 8 teams, conference champs and a few wildcards... true playoff.

RE: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - DawgNBama - 04-16-2014 05:53 PM

(04-16-2014 11:14 AM)msm96wolf Wrote:  

NIT - P5 Bowl Games

This is the Football NIT, IMO. Right there. And believe it or not, I have no problem with it. The playoff for the NCAA Div I FBS national championship I do have a big problem with!!!

RE: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - goodknightfl - 04-17-2014 06:47 AM

(04-16-2014 10:51 AM)Tbringer Wrote:  Could see a scenario one day where the G5 schools create their own playoff separate from the power conferences--especially if the P5 one day creates their own organization or even an upper division in the NCAA.

Games might be on the home fields of the higher ranked teams with a nice destination for a final.

Don't see any way to create an NIT type system, the major and minor bowls and bowl cities are taken for the P5 matchups and even some for a few G5 games.

The gang officially becomes 1aa at that point. No one watches 1aa playoffs, and no one will watch the g5 playoff.

RE: What is the possibility of a Football NIT? - BruceMcF - 04-17-2014 08:30 PM

Bearing in mind that the future of the BBall NIT is not assured, as the significance of winning the NIT has declined dramatically over the past forty years ... a FB NIT would be heading in the opposite direction that the market is pushing.

And a Go5 playoff especially. The appeal of a Go5 playoff to pick the best Go5 champion would be limited in any event. And as it stands now, the best of the Go5 gets a ticket to one of the Access bowls ... nobody would give that up in order to participate in a Go5 playoff, and the interest in a Go5 playoff to be the second best Go5 champion would draw even less interest than a Go5 playoff to be the best Go5 champion.