CSNbbs
CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected (/thread-686175.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - Fitbud - 04-14-2014 01:21 PM

The law's insurance coverage provisions are now projected to cost close to $1.4 trillion between 2015 and 2024, a decline of about $100 billion from previous estimates, the CBO found.

The benefits will cost taxpayers $36 billion this year, or $5 billion less than past projections. The coverage provisions include tax subsidies to help people purchase coverage on the health exchanges as well as the law's expansion of Medicaid.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/health-reform-implementation/203464-cbo-lowers-o-care-cost-projection#ixzz2yt07wN00
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

RE: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - Bull_In_Exile - 04-14-2014 01:24 PM

(04-14-2014 01:21 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  The law's insurance coverage provisions are now projected to cost close to $1.4 trillion between 2015 and 2024, a decline of about $100 billion from previous estimates, the CBO found.

The benefits will cost taxpayers $36 billion this year, or $5 billion less than past projections. The coverage provisions include tax subsidies to help people purchase coverage on the health exchanges as well as the law's expansion of Medicaid.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/health-reform-implementation/203464-cbo-lowers-o-care-cost-projection#ixzz2yt07wN00

Wait I thought when this was sold the cost was under 1 trillion....

RE: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - Paul M - 04-14-2014 01:26 PM

Hard to keep up with all those revisions huh Bull.

RE: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - pharaoh0 - 04-14-2014 01:27 PM

(04-14-2014 01:21 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  The law's insurance coverage provisions are now projected to cost close to $1.4 trillion between 2015 and 2024, a decline of about $100 billion from previous estimates, the CBO found.

Yep, you play with numbers and assumptions and voila, new lower costs!! I am waiting for the ACTUAL numbers and not the projections, which are based on whatever is feed to the CBO.

RE: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - SuperFlyBCat - 04-14-2014 01:28 PM

There is a massive shortfall between the cost and income from the subsidized policies.
Just another huge unfunded mandate. Fitbud thinks money grows on trees.

RE: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - Hambone10 - 04-14-2014 01:29 PM

They delayed the roll-out. Of COURSE expected spending over a fixed period of time decreases if you delay the spending.

If you buy a home in 2014 and pay 10,000 per year... Your expected total spending between 2014 and 2024 is 100,000. If you delay your purchase until 2015 and pay the same, your expected total spending between 2014 and 2024 is only 90,000. Is that a cost saving?

Yes, premium expectations are slightly lower than anticipated because insurers are finding other ways to cut costs... like cancelling more policies.

Still... The COST of Obamacare isn't really the major issue.

RE: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - SuperFlyBCat - 04-14-2014 01:31 PM

And remember many hospital groups, physician practice groups won't take the subsidized insurance policies.
Having insurance does not mean they have to accept you or your policy. This isn't health care.

RE: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - JMUDunk - 04-14-2014 01:59 PM

(04-14-2014 01:31 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  And remember many hospital groups, physician practice groups won't take the subsidized insurance policies.
Having insurance does not mean they have to accept you or your policy. This isn't health care.

Oh, you wait. These stories begin to trickle out, then come like a deluge and the full court press will be right behind. Hospitals, Doctors, NP's, NA's etc must provide care, prove to "The Board" why they can't or didn't or face fines, charges, or even licensing issues.

Afterall Healthcare is now a "right" and how can we deny anyone that findamental right? Costs be damned.

RE: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - 200yrs2late - 04-14-2014 02:20 PM

(04-14-2014 01:29 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  They delayed the roll-out. Of COURSE expected spending over a fixed period of time decreases if you delay the spending.

If you buy a home in 2014 and pay 10,000 per year... Your expected total spending between 2014 and 2024 is 100,000. If you delay your purchase until 2015 and pay the same, your expected total spending between 2014 and 2024 is only 90,000. Is that a cost saving?

Yes, premium expectations are slightly lower than anticipated because insurers are finding other ways to cut costs... like cancelling more policies.

Still... The COST of Obamacare isn't really the major issue.

Ding Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! Too bad most are too stupid to link the delay to a decrease in expected costs.

RE: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - EagleX - 04-14-2014 02:34 PM

(04-14-2014 01:24 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

Wait I thought when this was sold the cost was under 1 trillion....

not one dime more than 900 billion . . . if you like your doctor you can keep him.

RE: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - SumOfAllFears - 04-14-2014 03:08 PM

You can almost smell the fear and desperation in the democratic party.

RE: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - HeartOfDixie - 04-14-2014 03:08 PM

It's cheaper because fewer people than expected signed up.

RE: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - JMUDunk - 04-14-2014 03:13 PM

My wife and daughter just back from shopping at the Outlets.

Told me they were planning to drop a grand, but only spent $900. Said, Honey/ Dad, aren't you proud of us? We saved you a hundred dollars!!! 03-banghead

People can't be this dumb, can we people?

RE: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - Hambone10 - 04-14-2014 03:25 PM

(04-14-2014 03:13 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  My wife and daughter just back from shopping at the Outlets.

Told me they were planning to drop a grand, but only spent $900. Said, Honey/ Dad, aren't you proud of us? We saved you a hundred dollars!!! 03-banghead

It's worse. They told you they were only going to spend a grand and you begrudgingly said okay because you like sleeping in your own bed... and then called you while in line at check-out... too late for you to do anything about it and told you that they might have to spend $1500. NOW they want you to be HAPPY that they only spent $1400... even though that other $100 was put on a card they'll have to pay off later.

RE: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - olliebaba - 04-14-2014 03:45 PM

And don't forget the incidentals like gas to get there, lunch afterward.

How much money was spent on advertising obamacare? How many people had to get hired to sign the people up. How many places had to be rented out to house these workers to do their job? Etcetera, etcetera. How many workers were needed to teach them obamacare for them to sign up the masses. And for how long? Fact: My niece works doing this job and the company that hired her has a one year contract.

RE: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - Hambone10 - 04-14-2014 04:13 PM

Anyone who presents to an ER and doesn't have insurance is automatically signed up by the hospital in an attempt by them to get paid. No premiums are collected, but they are signed up.

There is nothing wrong with this, but I hardly see it as a 'success' to be touted as some sort of milestone for O-Care.

Look, business is showing up to get paid when people who can't pay are given services. Shocking

RE: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - Fitbud - 04-14-2014 04:22 PM

(04-14-2014 03:13 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  My wife and daughter just back from shopping at the Outlets.

If you gave them a grand and they gave you back $100 then you did save $100 because you weren't expecting to get it back.

RE: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - Hambone10 - 04-14-2014 04:36 PM

(04-14-2014 04:22 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  If you gave them a grand and they gave you back $100 then you did save $100 because you weren't expecting to get it back.

Once again, they didn't.

You never agreed to the $1,000. They just took the money out of the bank over your objections and then spent $1300... and you're supposed to be happy that it wasn't $1400??

Besides... they PROMISED you that they would improve healthcare when they took the money from the account without your agreement.

As someone who works in healthcare, I can promise you that every one of my doctors is trying to figure out how to replace their lost income.,.. and the general consensus is to deliver lower quality. Doctors are 'teaching to the test' trying to figure out how to get high patient satisfaction scores while seeing more patients... which means when people habitually present to the ED because they have terminal diagnoses and they want their lives extended, we are now offering them palliative care... which means we work on getting them more comfortable with their death, and not on prolonging their life... and people who come in who smoke, are obese and sedentary are given pain pills rather than told to stop smoking, exercise and eat better. They will leave THAT job to Michelle.

I'm deadly serious. Those are the discussions.

RE: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - Fitbud - 04-14-2014 04:39 PM

(04-14-2014 04:36 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(04-14-2014 04:22 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  If you gave them a grand and they gave you back $100 then you did save $100 because you weren't expecting to get it back.

Once again, they didn't.

They spent $1300

So in your mind, when you buy something at a discount, you think only of the money you spent and not the money you saved?

RE: CBO: Obamacare costs lower than expected - QuestionSocratic - 04-14-2014 04:42 PM

The only analogy I can construct that parallels the CBO report is one where you go to the hospital with 3rds degree burns and you hear the ER nurse say: "He has 3rd degree burns over 90% of his body." Then the next day, they tell you that the burns only cover 85% of your body.