CSNbbs
Coach Matt Brady - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Coach Matt Brady (/thread-685599.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Coach Matt Brady - Hotrod829 - 04-08-2014 11:04 PM

(04-08-2014 10:23 PM)Jmubarkers Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 10:04 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Do you think if they move quick enough they could have a new coaching staff in time to grab some recruits and convince Cooke to stay around?

Wonder if we talk to the same people sometimes...that's not too far from AD department thinking, I also think Jeff was pretty disturbed by conversation with Cooke and reasons for leaving. People need to understand that Cooke is leaving because he doesn't want to be part of the mess that is basketball, no direction or improvement.

Talking to some A10 Bball staff and others in other programs, Cooke is definitely leaving. It would take grades derailing his plans and a significant hire and promises(that I would never make to a player) for him to stay.

Conversation in Admin regarding Brady now is....
1.APR
2.institutional control(you don't have your best player out for more than half season and 2 transfer) among other things and think you have control of program.
3.recruiting in talent
4. Not winning in a sub par league
5. A lot of admin and boosters are fed up with Bball program and want a fresh start like football program
6.that conference move decision is upon us.

I don't blame the APR on the coach, i feel that's the athletes responsibility. The institutional control is fine, one player out of thirteen is not a bad 5 regardless of who the players is. I was excited when Brady was hired because I thought he would bring in some really good Philly talent. I think its hard to recruit talented players annually to JMU because of facilities and location.
And i don't understand why people are fed up with this program, we just had a good run last year. Sometimes I think the JMU fan base can be unrealistic at times.

Coach Matt Brady - brizzock - 04-08-2014 11:05 PM

If we could bundle a conference transition and an APR penalty in the same year (2014-15), that would lessen the pain for any new coach coming in.

Coach Matt Brady - brizzock - 04-08-2014 11:10 PM

And I would be absolutely shocked if Brady's contract doesn't explicitly say that he is responsible for APR.

RE: Coach Matt Brady - rufus - 04-08-2014 11:12 PM

(04-08-2014 11:04 PM)Hotrod829 Wrote:  And i don't understand why people are fed up with this program, we just had a good run last year. Sometimes I think the JMU fan base can be unrealistic at times.

We won the CAA tournament in an extreme down year. The CAA's conference RPI was #24 -- the worst CAA showing that I can recall. We got a low 16 seed, resulting in a play-in game. Sure we won the play-in game, but I would hardly call that a good run. I agree that JMU fans, like all fans, can sometimes have unrealistically high expectations at times. On the other hand, I think our expectations are unrealistically low if all we expect is a 16 seed NCAA bid every five years or so. We can do better.

RE: Coach Matt Brady - DoubleDDuke - 04-08-2014 11:27 PM

That's the problem I see is the low expectations. There are people here who will argue about how the convo is a good basketball facility.

RE: Coach Matt Brady - HolyCityDuke - 04-08-2014 11:31 PM

(04-08-2014 11:27 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  That's the problem I see is the low expectations. There are people here who will argue about how the convo is a good basketball facility.

Same goes to our tournament appearance last year... We were a bad team in a terrible conference. Brady would have been canned any other year, but our luck in basketball has seemed to be quite awful.

RE: Coach Matt Brady - UofRfan - 04-08-2014 11:48 PM

Quote:I think Brady is a darn good coach

Quote:It's his hiring of assistants and inability to build team/program concepts

With all due respect, if you think Brady sucks at the latter not sure how you can think he a good coach.

RE: Coach Matt Brady - Hotrod829 - 04-08-2014 11:51 PM

(04-08-2014 11:12 PM)rufus Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 11:04 PM)Hotrod829 Wrote:  And i don't understand why people are fed up with this program, we just had a good run last year. Sometimes I think the JMU fan base can be unrealistic at times.

We won the CAA tournament in an extreme down year. The CAA's conference RPI was #24 -- the worst CAA showing that I can recall. We got a low 16 seed, resulting in a play-in game. Sure we won the play-in game, but I would hardly call that a good run. I agree that JMU fans, like all fans, can sometimes have unrealistically high expectations at times. On the other hand, I think our expectations are unrealistically low if all we expect is a 16 seed NCAA bid every five years or so. We can do better.

I really only like dealing with things we can control.The politics should be left up too upper management and not on the shoulders of the coaches and players. Because they probably want to play in the best conferences as well. The conference was down last year , yes , but we still had to come out and play basketball. We won the games we needed to win.There were hundreds of other teams watching us play two nationally televised games. We were a young teem this year that competed very hard. Being youung and a mid major is not a very good mix.

We are a mid major team wanting to move up to be a bigger mid major team lol. But has you can see top programs also deal with players leaving, so i am not putting that on Brady. Four years is short period of time to play a sport you love. So if your not going to play at you current school , go somewhere else and play.

I say give Brady two to three more years to see if he can help this group mature.

RE: Coach Matt Brady - HolyCityDuke - 04-09-2014 12:01 AM

(04-08-2014 11:51 PM)Hotrod829 Wrote:  

I really only like dealing with things we can control.The politics should be left up too upper management and not on the shoulders of the coaches and players. Because they probably want to play in the best conferences as well. The conference was down last year , yes , but we still had to come out and play basketball. We won the games we needed to win.There were hundreds of other teams watching us play two nationally televised games. We were a young teem this year that competed very hard. Being youung and a mid major is not a very good mix.

We are a mid major team wanting to move up to be a bigger mid major team lol. But has you can see top programs also deal with players leaving, so i am not putting that on Brady. Four years is short period of time to play a sport you love. So if your not going to play at you current school , go somewhere else and play.

I say give Brady two to three more years to see if he can help this group mature.

Even as an outsider, you can see how downtrodden the program is. Brady doesn't come across as a very personable coach and he's responsible for all of the issues. He brings in the players (who can't pass or go to class), he sets the plays, he sets the mood of the program. To be honest, he just doesn't fit at JMU. It's all a business to him, he doesn't seem to enjoy his job.

RE: Coach Matt Brady - Hotrod829 - 04-09-2014 12:11 AM

(04-09-2014 12:01 AM)HolyCityDuke Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 11:51 PM)Hotrod829 Wrote:  

Even as an outsider, you can see how downtrodden the program is. Brady doesn't come across as a very personable coach and he's responsible for all of the issues. He brings in the players (who can't pass or go to class), he sets the plays, he sets the mood of the program. To be honest, he just doesn't fit at JMU. It's all a business to him, he doesn't seem to enjoy his job.
Downtrodden compared to what previous recent golden years. I've been here thru Dillard and Keener. If his personality deters him from recruiting then that becomes a problem for me. If it doesn't hinder his recruiting I don't care how personable he is. Coaching is a business for all coaches and I respect that if they handle it that way. Academic issues are throughout college athletics.

RE: Coach Matt Brady - NJDuke97 - 04-09-2014 05:58 AM

I think when you look at it logically Brady will get this year- I don't see JMU who tends to be very cautious firing him a year removed from an extension when he hasn't done anything egregious- even the APR thing while it has hovered over the program probably wouldn't be grounds for termination- other mid major programs- UNCW, Towson, etc. have had APR issues and their coaches have kept their jobs- I don't think a team on APR penalty is very attractive for another coach anyway. The recruiting has been uneven- he has brought in some talent and some of that could be validated in a weird way by where guys like Cooke and even Bessick end up- but he's also had a couple of classes where there wasn't much talent but there haven't been off court issues, he's presented himself well in terms of representing the university (where he lives and the lack of the summer camp notwithstanding). I think he deserves the year and he gets it- I doubt Bourne even has the ability to make the call himself even if he was ready to move on from Brady.

Coach Matt Brady - HolyCityDuke - 04-09-2014 06:48 AM

(04-09-2014 05:58 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  I think when you look at it logically Brady will get this year- I don't see JMU who tends to be very cautious firing him a year removed from an extension when he hasn't done anything egregious- even the APR thing while it has hovered over the program probably wouldn't be grounds for termination- other mid major programs- UNCW, Towson, etc. have had APR issues and their coaches have kept their jobs- I don't think a team on APR penalty is very attractive for another coach anyway. The recruiting has been uneven- he has brought in some talent and some of that could be validated in a weird way by where guys like Cooke and even Bessick end up- but he's also had a couple of classes where there wasn't much talent but there haven't been off court issues, he's presented himself well in terms of representing the university (where he lives and the lack of the summer camp notwithstanding). I think he deserves the year and he gets it- I doubt Bourne even has the ability to make the call himself even if he was ready to move on from Brady.

Too late to fire. Brady stays at least one more year.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: Coach Matt Brady - JMUNation - 04-09-2014 07:00 AM

Barkers:

I appreciate the inside info but I really wish you would not have posted this information. If Matt's job security is threatened, posting that is not going to help him. You have been right on so many things that you have credibility. If I am a young recruit reading this thread, I am probably going elsewhere unless I don't have any other offers. That is a bad spot to put Matt.

I think most everyone feels ambivilant toward Matt's tenure at JMU. He has done better than the two previous coaches. Player issues are always going to be. For me, I see Matt as an excellent #2 at a large school where he can focus on all things basketball and leave the CEO job up to the head coach. For me, that is who Matt is.

Deciding to live in Crozet was his first mistake. Not building strong relationships with his players and community was the second. Third, he burned a bridge with the administration over the Marist situation. Throw in continued concerns about APR and all this is likely going to spell "new coach" at some point. Player off the court issues would be the one area, besides Nation and Goins, where he has not had too many problems.

I like Matt. He has made JMU better. The issue is not too many see him taking JMU any further than he already has done. I was in favor of keeping him last year but now, I think it is best for Matt and the school to move on. They both need a fresh start.

Coach Matt Brady - brizzock - 04-09-2014 07:12 AM

Does an APR issue void any years on Brady's contract?

RE: Coach Matt Brady - HMK - 04-09-2014 07:33 AM

7. Not going to get a great response for a capital campaign for a new convo if you can't win in a downtrodden CAA, not playing any VA schools, terrible OOC home schedule. They are in the silent-silent phase I would imagine at this point, trying to get the 7 figure donors on board. Have to show them what their investment is going towards, cause the current state is very poor.

I agree completely. Heck, at this rate we could move our games back to where it all started at the old Harrisonburg High School Gym. A good cinderblock paint job and a floor refinish could take the place over a new condo. The old gym would make for an intimate atmosphere for the big home games with High Point, UNC-G, Winthrop, and Elon. If we give away hotdogs we might be able to sell out the place which would put us on equal footing with VCU. Perhaps a magician to pull a rabbit out of the hat for half time entertainment. I get excited thinking about the possibilities!

RE: Coach Matt Brady - 2XDuke - 04-09-2014 07:56 AM

I've heard Brady doesn't love Harrisonburg and he hasn't received the warmest embrace from the community. I believe he lives in Crozet, not even in H'burg which is why some people feel he's not embracing the community

RE: Coach Matt Brady - UofRfan - 04-09-2014 08:01 AM

Unless there is an APR issue I find this hard to believe. The admin wouldn't pay for a year to fire Matt or help him avoid a lame duck year by extending him, which is causing some of the problems you are dealing with now. Now they are going to pay for three years? We KNOW that's not happening.

So back to the APR, Barkers any idea what the current situation is? This is the only way they are going to be able to do something here I would think. I say this knowing nothing of course and with all due respect to the poster who gets everything correct :-).

RE: Coach Matt Brady - JMU2004 - 04-09-2014 08:06 AM

Failing APR gives cause and terminates the contract, no?

RE: Coach Matt Brady - JMU_Degenerate - 04-09-2014 08:11 AM

(04-09-2014 07:56 AM)2XDuke Wrote:  I've heard Brady doesn't love Harrisonburg and he hasn't received the warmest embrace from the community. I believe he lives in Crozet, not even in H'burg which is why some people feel he's not embracing the community

This cant possibly be true.... I refuse to believe it.

RE: Coach Matt Brady - UofRfan - 04-09-2014 08:12 AM

I heard he doesn't have a basketball camp as well, seems hard to believe?