CSNbbs
Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial (/thread-685449.html)

Pages: 1 2

Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - NIU32 - 04-08-2014 06:53 AM

Mini Abe? Really???03-confused

RE: Weird NIU/DeKalb Commercial - uiniu57 - 04-08-2014 07:05 AM

(04-08-2014 06:53 AM)NIU32 Wrote:  Mini Abe? Really??? I'm sure this will get thousands to visit...03-confused

Mini Abe is part of a series of commercials for Illinois tourism and actually I think it's great they've included all the NIU references as well as DeKalb. Other versions have shown Mini Abe in various Chicago locations as well as downstate landmarks. While I'm sure there's an ILL-ness version showing around Champaign, it's a plus that we're being included in the series.

RE: Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - HuskieJohn - 04-08-2014 08:19 AM

Yes its corny...but this is awesome.

It wonder if there is any chance of this being run during our games on ESNP2/U, CSN or WPWR.

Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - thxjoenovak - 04-08-2014 08:33 AM

And it features the first career TD for Joel Bouganahaumananon!

RE: Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - Dog Fan - 04-08-2014 08:38 AM

While I think the commercials are corny and Illinois lags SO far behind its neighboring states in terms of tourism, this is great publicity for DeKalb and NIU. I would hope these commercials are shown out-of-state as well, but I'm not sure it would attract many visitors.

RE: Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - NIU007 - 04-08-2014 08:41 AM

I think it's pretty neat. And we can take all the (non-negative) publicity we can get.

RE: Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - HuskieJohn - 04-08-2014 08:44 AM

FYI there are 2 different commercials of Mini Abe in DeKalb Co.

RE: Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - BarsemaBone2 - 04-08-2014 08:46 AM

(04-08-2014 07:05 AM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 06:53 AM)NIU32 Wrote:  Mini Abe? Really??? I'm sure this will get thousands to visit...03-confused

Mini Abe is part of a series of commercials for Illinois tourism and actually I think it's great they've included all the NIU references as well as DeKalb. Other versions have shown Mini Abe in various Chicago locations as well as downstate landmarks. While I'm sure there's an ILL-ness version showing around Champaign, it's a plus that we're being included in the series.

There is, and while the DeKalb/NIU one may seem corny, it kicks the **** out of the Champaign one. It's essentially a bunch of still photos with captions for 2 and half minutes.

RE: Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - Huskie_Jon - 04-08-2014 08:46 AM

(04-08-2014 08:19 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  Yes its corny...but this is awesome.

It wonder if there is any chance of this being run during our games on ESNP2/U, CSN or WPWR.

I happen to like the scene of him eating the corn on the cob.

RE: Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - HuskieRak - 04-08-2014 10:49 AM

So much better than those damn Pure Michigan commercials

RE: Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - Dog Fan - 04-08-2014 10:59 AM

(04-08-2014 10:49 AM)HuskieRak Wrote:  So much better than those damn Pure Michigan commercials

Are you sh-tting me? Those Pure Michigan commercials with Tim Allen are the best around. They really make you want to go to Michigan, and they have helped increase Michigan tourism. They are tasteful and classy. These Illinois commercials are infantile. All we seem to have going on in this state is Abraham Lincoln.

RE: Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - NIU007 - 04-08-2014 11:08 AM

(04-08-2014 10:59 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 10:49 AM)HuskieRak Wrote:  So much better than those damn Pure Michigan commercials

Are you sh-tting me? Those Pure Michigan commercials with Tim Allen are the best around. They really make you want to go to Michigan, and they have helped increase Michigan tourism. They are tasteful and classy. These Illinois commercials are infantile. All we seem to have going on in this state is Abraham Lincoln.

Well, we have Abe Lincoln, and we have Chicago. And we have corn. Did I miss anything?

RE: Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - Dog Fan - 04-08-2014 11:18 AM

(04-08-2014 11:08 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  

Well, we have Abe Lincoln, and we have Chicago. And we have corn. Did I miss anything?

The PigDog?

RE: Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - HuskieJohn - 04-08-2014 11:42 AM

(04-08-2014 11:18 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

The PigDog?

Um, you are forgetting the Grotto!

Actually did you guys know that Illinois has city ruins including a pyramid like structure of an old indian civilization...not it was not wiped out by Europeans. At its peak it had the largest population in the US until the very late 1800's. I think that the state does not really advertise it because its so close to St Louis and they don't want people from up North spending their dollars across the boarder in MO. Anyways I highly recommend it for people who like old ruins and are up for lots of walking and stairs for the large structure.
http://cahokiamounds.org/

RE: Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - Dog Fan - 04-08-2014 11:49 AM

(04-08-2014 11:42 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

The PigDog?

Actually did you guys know that Illinois has city ruins including a pyramid like structure of an old indian civilization...not it was not wiped out by Europeans. At its peak it had the largest population in the US until the very late 1800's. I think that the state does not really advertise it because its so close to St Louis and they don't want people from up North spending their dollars across the boarder in MO. Anyways I highly recommend it for people who like old ruins and are up for lots of walking and stairs for the large structure.http://cahokiamounds.org/

Ruins? Save the time and just walk through the south side of Chicago. Yes, I guess this state is filled with ruins!

P.S. I was glad the commercial did not feature the Grotto. The last thing I need is to fight off long lines and crowds to get to my private viewing booth.

RE: Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - NIU007 - 04-08-2014 12:52 PM

The PigDog?

Actually did you guys know that Illinois has city ruins including a pyramid like structure of an old indian civilization...not it was not wiped out by Europeans. At its peak it had the largest population in the US until the very late 1800's. I think that the state does not really advertise it because its so close to St Louis and they don't want people from up North spending their dollars across the boarder in MO. Anyways I highly recommend it for people who like old ruins and are up for lots of walking and stairs for the large structure.

I had heard of that but never thought to check it out. Thanks for the link. Although I did see a lot of ruins in Detroit, too.

RE: Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - 3OrangeWhips - 04-08-2014 01:37 PM

(04-08-2014 08:46 AM)Huskie_Jon Wrote:  

Abe Lincoln eating a cob of corn is cute, but it would not entice anyone to visit DeKalb County - or Illinois, for that matter. People are not motivated by a commercial of people eating corn to then say, "hey honey, load up the station wagon, we're headed to Illinois on vacation so we can eat some corn".

RE: Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - Dog Fan - 04-08-2014 01:43 PM

(04-08-2014 01:37 PM)3OrangeWhips Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 08:46 AM)Huskie_Jon Wrote:  

Abe Lincoln eating a cob of corn is cute, but it would not entice anyone to visit DeKalb County - or Illinois, for that matter. People are not motivated by a commercial of people eating corn to then say, "hey honey, load up the station wagon, we're headed to Illinois on vacation so we can eat some corn".

Very true. This state has little to offer tourists except, perhaps, a prison tour to look at the convicted politicians.

Whenever my wife and I go on mini trips (day or weekend), we never stay in Illinois. Nothing for us here. We head out to Michigan, Indiana, and Wisconsin. There is precious little in this state to attract tourists (except for the prison tour).

RE: Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - 3OrangeWhips - 04-08-2014 01:45 PM

The only difference between Iowa and Illinois is Chicago.

RE: Mini Abe Visits NIU/DeKalb Commercial - niuaccy1976 - 04-08-2014 03:50 PM

The PigDog?

I visited Cahokia last year. Very cool that something that historic is right here in Illinois. I was shocked that we'd never gone on a school field trip there, although it is a bit far. St Louis also had a ton of Indian mounds but they were bulldozed.