CSNbbs
Funny Baskerville story/quote in the Times Picayune - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Funny Baskerville story/quote in the Times Picayune (/thread-685255.html)

Funny Baskerville story/quote in the Times Picayune - 3601 - 04-06-2014 05:38 PM

The other day Ron Higgins wrote a story about covering the Final Four for thirty years. He listed some of his favorite quotes from over the years. This was one...

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/04/thirty_years_of_runnin_the_fin.html

One last thing that I love about the Final Four is it produces memorable quotes. Here are my favorites:

"Baby, I need me a smoke, I need me a drink and I need me some lovin', and I need 'em right now."-Memphis State forward Baskerville Holmes, exiting the dressing room after a 1985 semifinal loss to Villanova and throwing his arms around his consoling girlfriend du jour.

RE: Funny Baskerville story/quote in the Times Picayune - fathergoose714 - 04-06-2014 06:20 PM

Ha! Thats funny right there, I don't care who you are. Sounds like 60's baseball with players smoking and such in the dugout.

RE: Funny Baskerville story/quote in the Times Picayune - ballen - 04-06-2014 06:22 PM

That was a good one. I remember how all the media loved to say Baskerville's name over and over. One of the best names ever. RiP

RE: Funny Baskerville story/quote in the Times Picayune - 83msu - 04-06-2014 06:35 PM

I loved watching him play. He was so in your face. Sad ending.

RE: Funny Baskerville story/quote in the Times Picayune - MemphisTigerPawr - 04-06-2014 07:46 PM

Very sad ending. Batman was a great player and athlete.

RE: Funny Baskerville story/quote in the Times Picayune - TallTiger - 04-06-2014 09:33 PM

Yes, it was sad. Had not heard that quote before.

Watched the Final Four game in person. Still a mystery why Askew wouldn't shoot when he was the only one open.

Lapides mentioned recently the penalties for the Pell Grant violations were severe.

The last 30 years of Tiger football and basketball have been like a roller coaster...peaks and valleys.

RE: Funny Baskerville story/quote in the Times Picayune - howboutthemtigers - 04-06-2014 09:54 PM

I was 14 when we lost to Villanova in the final four. Some of my friends were over at my house watching. I remember tears starting to roll down my face when it was inevitable that we were going to lose. Even with my friends present, I wasn't ashamed that I was crying.

RE: Funny Baskerville story/quote in the Times Picayune - MGR - 04-06-2014 10:15 PM

I did not get to go to many games back then....but hearing Fred Cook introduce "a 6'7" senior from Memphis, Tennessee...Bas-kerville Holmes" is one of my favorite Tiger related memories.

RE: Funny Baskerville story/quote in the Times Picayune - Tiger46 - 04-07-2014 08:25 AM

(04-06-2014 09:33 PM)TallTiger Wrote:  Yes, it was sad. Had not heard that quote before.

Watched the Final Four game in person. Still a mystery why Askew wouldn't shoot when he was the only one open.

Lapides mentioned recently the penalties for the Pell Grant violations were severe.

The last 30 years of Tiger football and basketball have been like a roller coaster...peaks and valleys.

Pell Grants....Selective enforcement.

And I don't think a cigarette was the "smoke" that Batman needed!!

RE: Funny Baskerville story/quote in the Times Picayune - EarthBoundMisfit - 04-07-2014 09:01 AM

(04-06-2014 09:54 PM)howboutthemtigers Wrote:  I was 14 when we lost to Villanova in the final four. Some of my friends were over at my house watching. I remember tears starting to roll down my face when it was inevitable that we were going to lose. Even with my friends present, I wasn't ashamed that I was crying.

me too.
I think I was 12 or 14 myself.
Our English class at Bellevue Jr. High had composed a poem about how we were going to beat Villanova by 3.

RE: Funny Baskerville story/quote in the Times Picayune - TiggerFan - 04-07-2014 09:05 AM

Well, a buddy and I took Baskerville and Willie Becton out to dinner after the game. No smokes that I recall. No girl. We went to Bennigan's in Lexington and after about 5 minutes at the table we had about 6 or 7 bottles of champaign.
Baskerville thought Bennigan's was high living. And he loved driving my buddy's Bronco. That was the coolest time ever. At the team hotel I ordered a beer and the server said "Shouldn't you head over to the arena?" I said, "Not as long as the guy behind me is here." It was Dana and he laughed. Rode to and from the game on the bus. Dana was three rows back sitting with a blonde that I used to see hosting parties during the golf tournament.

RE: Funny Baskerville story/quote in the Times Picayune - Brother Bluto - 04-07-2014 09:05 AM

(04-06-2014 09:33 PM)TallTiger Wrote:  Yes, it was sad. Had not heard that quote before.

Dana has been dead 3-4 years and the old goat can't help but take a shot. George and his ilk have done more to impede to growth of Tiger athletics than everyone else combined IMO.