CSNbbs
David Letterman announces retirement - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Charles Harris Memorial People's Forum (/forum-511.html)
+------ Thread: David Letterman announces retirement (/thread-684944.html)

Pages: 1 2

David Letterman announces retirement - Latilleon - 04-03-2014 04:17 PM

Announced today during taping.

I can't see them giving the first show to Craig Ferguson (wrong demographic).

Who gets it?

RE: David Letterman announces retirement - BuffaloTN - 04-03-2014 04:56 PM

About 8 years too late imo.

RE: David Letterman announces retirement - mapdude - 04-03-2014 06:48 PM

When?

RE: David Letterman announces retirement - Latilleon - 04-03-2014 07:20 PM

(04-03-2014 06:48 PM)mapdude Wrote:  When?

Sometime in 2015.

RE: David Letterman announces retirement - supertiger - 04-03-2014 07:48 PM

It's about time.....He's become a hack.

CBS is rumored to want Colbert for the spot. I don't know how that'd work out.

RE: David Letterman announces retirement - Tiger46 - 04-04-2014 09:04 AM

(04-03-2014 04:56 PM)BuffaloTN Wrote:  About 8 years too late imo.

Not really. He's still relevant and funny but with the energy and skits that Kimmel and Fallon are doing, it's time for a change and Letterman is the first to admit it.

I don't think Craig Ferguson is the one either.

Does Conan get another shot? I went to one of his shows here in Dallas this week. That was fun although I have never been a Conan "fan".

RE: David Letterman announces retirement - tigergreen - 04-04-2014 10:23 AM

(04-03-2014 07:48 PM)supertiger Wrote:  CBS is rumored to want Colbert for the spot. I don't know how that'd work out.

Sounds great off-hand, but after a second thought I think he's more suited for cable.

RE: David Letterman announces retirement - Latilleon - 04-04-2014 03:06 PM

(04-04-2014 10:23 AM)tigergreen Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 07:48 PM)supertiger Wrote:  CBS is rumored to want Colbert for the spot. I don't know how that'd work out.

Sounds great off-hand, but after a second thought I think he's more suited for cable.

Plus he is playing a character on his show... That premise doesn't work on a network late night talk show.

Jon Stewart would be better, but Stewarts makes as much as he would on CBS for less commitment (22 minutes 4 times a week vs. 45 minutes 5 times a week).

RE: David Letterman announces retirement - eltigre - 04-04-2014 03:44 PM

(04-03-2014 07:48 PM)supertiger Wrote:  It's about time.....He's become a hack.

CBS is rumored to want Colbert for the spot. I don't know how that'd work out.

Agreed and the Jimmy's are the new kings of late night and have been for some time now. Letterman quit being relevant in late night TV years ago.

RE: David Letterman announces retirement - BuffaloTN - 04-05-2014 12:11 PM

(04-04-2014 09:04 AM)Tiger46 Wrote:  
(04-03-2014 04:56 PM)BuffaloTN Wrote:  About 8 years too late imo.

Not really. He's still relevant and funny but with the energy and skits that Kimmel and Fallon are doing, it's time for a change and Letterman is the first to admit it.

I don't think Craig Ferguson is the one either.

Does Conan get another shot? I went to one of his shows here in Dallas this week. That was fun although I have never been a Conan "fan".

You missed the "imo" in my post.

RE: David Letterman announces retirement - supertiger - 04-10-2014 12:02 PM

CBS has announced that Colbert will be letterman's replacement.

RE: David Letterman announces retirement - Latilleon - 04-10-2014 12:09 PM

(04-10-2014 12:02 PM)supertiger Wrote:  CBS has announced that Colbert will be letterman's replacement.

I guess expected, but how does a 50 year old attract the advertiser friendly 18-49 demo?

I think this will be Pat Sajak all over again.

RE: David Letterman announces retirement - supertiger - 04-10-2014 01:09 PM

I know he probably likes doing hard news, but Anderson Cooper would make a great late night host. He's hilarious and very affable in the talk-show format.

RE: David Letterman announces retirement - Tiger46 - 04-10-2014 04:48 PM

(04-10-2014 12:02 PM)supertiger Wrote:  CBS has announced that Colbert will be letterman's replacement.

That is a surprise. First one I know of to come from a cable show to a network mainstay. He's funny and he will definitely pull his fans from Comedy Channel to CBS.

It will be interesting. Fallon and Kimmel are kicking butt right now, you never know what Fallon is going to do or who is going to be on.

Russell Crow playing guitar and singing? Wow.

RE: David Letterman announces retirement - Latilleon - 04-10-2014 04:56 PM

(04-10-2014 04:48 PM)Tiger46 Wrote:  

That is a surprise. First one I know of to come from a cable show to a network mainstay. He's funny and he will definitely pull his fans from Comedy Channel to CBS.

It will be interesting. Fallon and Kimmel are kicking butt right now, you never know what Fallon is going to do or who is going to be on.

Bill Maher owned Politically Incorrect and took it to ABC.

The replacement show was the Daily Show. The original host, Craig Kilborn went from the Daily Show to the Late Late Show. I think Stephen Colbert was a corespondent under Kilborn. Jon Stewart replaced Kilborn.

Jimmy Kimmel had the Man Show on Comedy Central before ABC hired him to do Jimmy Kimmel live.

RE: David Letterman announces retirement - BuffaloTN - 04-11-2014 08:48 AM

(04-10-2014 01:09 PM)supertiger Wrote:  I know he probably likes doing hard news, but Anderson Cooper would make a great late night host. He's hilarious and very affable in the talk-show format.

He definitely likes the hard stuff.

RE: David Letterman announces retirement - Latilleon - 04-11-2014 08:51 AM

(04-11-2014 08:48 AM)BuffaloTN Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 01:09 PM)supertiger Wrote:  I know he probably likes doing hard news, but Anderson Cooper would make a great late night host. He's hilarious and very affable in the talk-show format.

He definitely likes the hard stuff.

Never know... He's arrogant enough to believe he wants a soft landing.

RE: David Letterman announces retirement - Tiger46 - 04-11-2014 08:56 AM

(04-10-2014 04:56 PM)Latilleon Wrote:  

The replacement show was the Daily Show. The original host, Craig Kilborn went from the Daily Show to the Late Late Show. I think Stephen Colbert was a corespondent under Kilborn. Jon Stewart replaced Kilborn.

Jimmy Kimmel had the Man Show on Comedy Central before ABC hired him to do Jimmy Kimmel live.

You are correct. Of all those, Kimmel may the only successful one. Kilburn walked away on his own didn't he?

I like Maher, but since he's still on HBO, I didn't put him in the mix.

RE: David Letterman announces retirement - Latilleon - 04-11-2014 09:30 AM

(04-11-2014 08:56 AM)Tiger46 Wrote:  

You are correct. Of all those, Kimmel may the only successful one. Kilburn walked away on his own didn't he?

Craig Kilborn would probably still be on the Late Late Show. I think he demanded much more money and Letterman/CBS weren't willing to pay. Miscalculation on Kilby's part.

How different would the world be if Worldwide Pants hired Jon Stewart in 1999?

Bill Maher lasted five or six years on ABC. That would be successful. He got kicked off because he made comments after 9/11 that caused his show to lose sponsors. Maher rebuked comments that the terrorists were cowards. In the sensitivity of the time, that led to his downfall.

Jimmy Kimmel took years to gain respectability, and he owes his popularity to the internet and deft use of social media and viral videos.

All three had levels of success. None were #1, but each created a unique voice that wasn't crappy.

RE: David Letterman announces retirement - Tiger46 - 04-11-2014 10:25 AM

(04-11-2014 09:30 AM)Latilleon Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 08:56 AM)Tiger46 Wrote:  

Craig Kilborn would probably still be on the Late Late Show. I think he demanded much more money and Letterman/CBS weren't willing to pay. Miscalculation on Kilby's part.

How different would the world be if Worldwide Pants hired Jon Stewart in 1999?

Bill Maher lasted five or six years on ABC. That would be successful. He got kicked off because he made comments after 9/11 that caused his show to lose sponsors. Maher rebuked comments that the terrorists were cowards. In the sensitivity of the time, that led to his downfall.

Jimmy Kimmel took years to gain respectability, and he owes his popularity to the internet and deft use of social media and viral videos.

All three had levels of success. None were #1, but each created a unique voice that wasn't crappy.

Kimmel kind of got a bump from being on one of the NFL pre game shows didn't he?

My wife made an interesting observation last night, wondering out loud if Ellen would have taken Letterman's spot if offered?

Does she make more in daytime than she could at the Late Show?

Oh well, it doesn't matter now but I found that interesting.