CSNbbs
Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Toledo (/forum-479.html)
+----- Thread: Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? (/thread-684627.html)

Pages: 1 2

Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - Nick in Cleveland - 04-01-2014 02:44 PM

An under the radar 7-foot 2-inch player from Willoughby OH without a current D-I offer is someone we should grab quickly, gray-shirt and with a little luck he becomes the next Chris Kaman.

Someone in the Toledo area forward this to Coach K.

Article: Nick Detlev, Willoughby Andrews-Osborne Acad., 7-2
http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20140326/high-school-boys-basketball-andrews-osborne-center-nick-detlev-follows-mothers-steps-to-news-herald-classic

"While Detlev doesn’t have any Division I college offers yet, he said 10 have contacted him about the possibility. The list includes Cleveland State, Eastern Michigan, Florida International, Florida Gulf Coast and Siena"

Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - utpotts - 04-01-2014 03:38 PM

Just because you're tall doesn't mean you're a great basketball player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - MidnightBlueGold - 04-01-2014 05:02 PM

(04-01-2014 03:38 PM)utpotts Wrote:  Just because you're tall doesn't mean you're a great basketball player.

But the saying goes...you can't teach height.

RE: Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - tolfbfan - 04-01-2014 08:28 PM

Tall players if they fail are called "coach killers". With no offers, I MEAN NO OFFERS, it's pretty obvious to me that the odds are bad for this kid to be productive. ALL D 1 programs look at 7'2" guys so he has had plenty of exposure.

RE: Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - Campbell4President - 04-01-2014 09:20 PM

(04-01-2014 08:28 PM)tolfbfan Wrote:  Tall players if they fail are called "coach killers". With no offers, I MEAN NO OFFERS, it's pretty obvious to me that the odds are bad for this kid to be productive. ALL D 1 programs look at 7'2" guys so he has had plenty of exposure.

Watching his video, he moves like you'd expect a 7'2" guy to move. However, according to Rivals, before Western Michigan offered Shayne Whittington the same thing could have been said about him. Obviously he wouldn't be ready to play D1 as a freshman according to his video but if he could thrive in a strength and conditioning program to improve his athleticism a bit, I don't think anything's out of the realm of possibilities in terms of productivity. Look at the Riley kid from EMU...he didn't need to know how to play basketball. 98% of his play was parking just north of the arc and blocking everything that came in the lane. I don't see why this kid couldn't do the same thing.

But after watching his video, my guess is he isn't going to get a D1 offer. If so, I see no reason why the Rockets shouldn't offer him preferred walk-on status and see if he can develop athletically with a couple years of college practice under his belt.

RE: Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - rocketpete - 04-01-2014 10:00 PM

(04-01-2014 05:02 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  
(04-01-2014 03:38 PM)utpotts Wrote:  Just because you're tall doesn't mean you're a great basketball player.

But the saying goes...you can't teach height.

Teach height...coach height
Coaches are ultimately teachers.
Coaches can make players better, but not taller.
Other things coaches can do?

Make individuals a team.
Respect your opponent.
Play defense first.
Take advantage of opportunities.
Listen to what we say.
Know opponents weaknesses.
Create training environments that match your opponent.
Create a lineup that gives your team the best chance to win.
Every so often a Doug Hess comes along, grab it.
Get Him.

RE: Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - Rockketdork - 04-02-2014 06:57 AM

Where could I see a video of Mr. Detlev?

RE: Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - joeo58 - 04-02-2014 09:19 AM

(04-02-2014 06:57 AM)Rockketdork Wrote:  Where could I see a video of Mr. Detlev?

the final four are great defensive teams. i hope Coach K has taken note of that

RE: Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - Boca Rocket - 04-02-2014 10:11 AM

(04-02-2014 09:19 AM)joeo58 Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 06:57 AM)Rockketdork Wrote:  Where could I see a video of Mr. Detlev?

Final Four Scoring Defense:
UF #3
Wisc #37
UConn #38
UK #82

Only one great defense, two good, and one mediocre.

RE: Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - Campbell4President - 04-02-2014 10:27 PM

RE: Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - Rockketdork - 04-03-2014 07:29 AM

He would be a project. There is potential. He looks to be mobile, not a tree stump. Runs the floor well. Keeps the ball high. Needs to add strength. I think he compares evenly with the 6' 10" kid from Onsted Mi. that UT has offered. The kid from Onsted has worked on moves around the basket more. This kid can play. He needs coaching and to be pushed. Hard work would make him a viable recruit.

RE: Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - emanoh - 04-03-2014 08:53 AM

This kid looks more mobile than the kid from onstead.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RE: Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - Rockketdork - 04-03-2014 09:07 AM

Yes he does look more mobile then Austin Davis from Onstead.

RE: Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - FrickerRon - 04-03-2014 01:45 PM

(04-01-2014 08:28 PM)tolfbfan Wrote:  Tall players if they fail are called "coach killers". With no offers, I MEAN NO OFFERS, it's pretty obvious to me that the odds are bad for this kid to be productive. ALL D 1 programs look at 7'2" guys so he has had plenty of exposure.

Do we have any scholarships left? What is his GPA. He may dumb as a box of rocks, or he can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

RE: Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - Rockketdork - 04-03-2014 02:23 PM

Unless someone leaves, there aren't any schollies left. Nothing in the article about his GPA. I would guess he's smarter then a box of rocks. Maybe two boxes. At best he would be a walk on. If any scholarships come available there are other players UT are after.

Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - adunifon - 04-03-2014 02:35 PM

(04-02-2014 10:11 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

UF #3
Wisc #37
UConn #38
UK #82

Id take a top 40 d with out offense.

RE: Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - Boca Rocket - 04-03-2014 05:51 PM

(04-03-2014 02:35 PM)adunifon Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 10:11 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

UF #3
Wisc #37
UConn #38
UK #82

Id take a top 40 d with out offense.

UF is the favorite, but the worst defensive team(UK) may win because of their young NBA talents.

RE: Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - PTLROCK - 04-03-2014 06:01 PM

(04-01-2014 02:44 PM)Nick in Cleveland Wrote:  An under the radar 7-foot 2-inch player from Willoughby OH without a current D-I offer is someone we should grab quickly, gray-shirt and with a little luck he becomes the next Chris Kaman.

Someone in the Toledo area forward this to Coach K.

Article: Nick Detlev, Willoughby Andrews-Osborne Acad., 7-2
http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20140326/high-school-boys-basketball-andrews-osborne-center-nick-detlev-follows-mothers-steps-to-news-herald-classic

"While Detlev doesn’t have any Division I college offers yet, he said 10 have contacted him about the possibility. The list includes Cleveland State, Eastern Michigan, Florida International, Florida Gulf Coast and Siena"

This kid moves pretty well for his size. He has good hands, is flexible enough to reach the floor to grab a loose ball, and is pretty unstoppable at the hoop. he goes left and right pretty well. What I really like about him is his ability to stay above the competition. Did you notice boothe was used to get Toledo back in the game against USM in the NIT, since Toledo had the height advantage. He has a lot to build on. interesting call. Thanks for posting the video.

RE: Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - MotoRocket - 04-04-2014 01:04 AM

Struggles to get off the floor on the jump ball and rebounding. Kind of strange how he seems to not be able to jump at all - but he does run the floor well.

RE: Why is Toledo Basketball not all over this guy? - pono - 04-04-2014 03:00 PM

the florida kid reyes is potentially the biggest impact recruit we may add, both immediate and long term. however, he is probably somewhat of a long shot as he has a lot of other offers and we came in kinda late.

ritchie from indiana is one of those guys you can't really go wrong with. good size, good athlete, good student, small town kid playing fairly close to home-so likely to stick through any rough stretches and not transfer. kinda like lauf. however, his game is not that dynamic at this point for D1, and there's a chance he is never more than a quality role player.

there's always some 5th yr transfers and reg transfers looking around at this point as well. my feeling is that we need an interior guy who can make an immediate impact- an n'dour, weatherspoon, type who improves the inside game immediately as our perimeter is deep and good but the inside game needs more depth.

it would all depend on someone else leaving. as of now all scholarships are spoken for. there's rumors aubrey williams might be pushed out, so to speak, as he hasn't improved at the rate it was hoped. good kid and student, but maybe not the player they hoped (btw, this is an example of why players want to unionize. so a player who is doing well in school and wants to complete his degree but isn't becoming a key player on his team has security with his scholarship). aparicio is also a non-factor, but I got no info on what his standing is...