CSNbbs
to recap - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: to recap (/thread-682478.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

to recap - BobL - 03-18-2014 12:52 PM

During the past 2 seasons I have seen NIU field a team that appeared in a BCS bowl, had a Heisman Trophy finalist QB and a potential 2nd round NFL draft pick.
We hope to retain our coaches longer, bring in BCS opponents, improve the stadium and improve the overall game day experience(all of which take money) yet some find it necessary to whine about price increases that were clearly intended to boost season ticket sales.
Unreal.

RE: to recap - 7 - 03-18-2014 12:58 PM

Maddawgz doesn't count as somebody. He's a moron.

RE: to recap - MaddDawgz02 - 03-18-2014 01:11 PM

Im not arguing with on the field success, Im arguing with NIU leadership not caring about the future. I wouldn't even care as long as you don't hear this "we are going to take NIU football to the next level" crap. Words are cheap, actions show that those words are not genuine. The conflicting signals are maddening. Frazier is Compher.

RE: to recap - MaddDawgz02 - 03-18-2014 01:18 PM

And anyone wondering why NIU will never reach that next level consistently, all you have to do is peruse the views of people on this board. They don't care about the future and growth, if we don't demand it, why would leadership care about it

RE: to recap - huskiealum03 - 03-18-2014 01:27 PM

this appears to be looking at the team's success in a vacuum. it cannot possibly account for the fickleness of NIU fans.

RE: to recap - MaddDawgz02 - 03-18-2014 01:29 PM

(03-18-2014 01:27 PM)huskiealum03 Wrote:  this appears to be looking at the team's success in a vacuum. it cannot possibly account for the fickleness of NIU fans.

All I know is when NIU attendance tanks, not one person here has the right to blame the fans for it. We dug our own grave on this one.

RE: to recap - OldTtimeNIU - 03-18-2014 01:44 PM

(03-18-2014 01:11 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Im not arguing with on the field success, Im arguing with NIU leadership not caring about the future. I wouldn't even care as long as you don't hear this "we are going to take NIU football to the next level" crap. Words are cheap, actions show that those words are not genuine. The conflicting signals are maddening. Frazier is Compher.

Your words are cheap....sure you aren't a politician ?

RE: to recap - Boneyard_Hype - 03-18-2014 01:49 PM

(03-18-2014 01:29 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(03-18-2014 01:27 PM)huskiealum03 Wrote:  this appears to be looking at the team's success in a vacuum. it cannot possibly account for the fickleness of NIU fans.

All I know is when NIU attendance tanks, not one person here has the right to blame the fans for it. We dug our own grave on this one.

Not true at all, how about NIU fans stop being cheap bastards and start shelling out the same $$ that other programs do. We want to hold ourselves to those standards, then it's time to start acting like it as fans. Pay the damn money and support a team that works their asses off.

RE: to recap - GCD70 - 03-18-2014 02:08 PM

(03-18-2014 01:29 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

if after the success we have had for the last 15 yrs, if fans don't come it is their fault.

RE: to recap - armour248 - 03-18-2014 02:09 PM

(03-18-2014 12:58 PM)7 Wrote:  Maddawgz doesn't count as somebody. He's a moron.

/endthread

RE: to recap - Lord Stanley - 03-18-2014 02:31 PM

(03-18-2014 12:58 PM)7 Wrote:  Maddawgz doesn't count as somebody. He's a moron.

Just because Maddawgz may feel NIU Athletics is run about as efficiently as the monkey house at the Brookfield zoo, (except with more poop-flinging!) that doesn't make him a moron. Just that he has a different opinion.

I'll take NIU superfans anywhere, anytime, of any persuasion.

RE: to recap - BobL - 03-18-2014 02:38 PM

(03-18-2014 02:31 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  

Just because Maddawgz may feel NIU Athletics is run about as efficiently as the monkey house at the Brookfield zoo, (except with more poop-flinging!) that doesn't make him a moron. Just that he has a different opinion.

I'll take NIU superfans anywhere, anytime, of any persuasion.

Read post 3, I cant say if he is a moron or not, but he certainly has more than his fair share of inane posts.

RE: to recap - Lord Stanley - 03-18-2014 03:13 PM

(03-18-2014 02:38 PM)BobL Wrote:  Read post 3, I cant say if he is a moron or not, but he certainly has more than his fair share of inane posts.

I understand though don't necessarily agree with his Need Opponents at Huskie Stadium hobby horse.

But I don't get the name calling on someone who obviously has the same interests at heart as the rest of the NIU faithful.

RE: to recap - BobL - 03-18-2014 03:29 PM

(03-18-2014 03:13 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(03-18-2014 02:38 PM)BobL Wrote:  Read post 3, I cant say if he is a moron or not, but he certainly has more than his fair share of inane posts.

I understand though don't necessarily agree with his Need Opponents at Huskie Stadium hobby horse.

But I don't get the name calling on someone who obviously has the same interests at heart as the rest of the NIU faithful.

Agreed.

RE: to recap - NIU007 - 03-18-2014 03:35 PM

The namecalling usually comes from one poster.

It's hard to compare our fan support with other schools that get much better fan support - because none of them have had the home schedule we've had for the past decade. Not saying we'd ever have great fan support because this is a pro sports area, but the schedule has an impact. As of right now I think our ticket prices are very reasonable, so I don't think that's the problem.

RE: to recap - Dog Fan - 03-18-2014 03:45 PM

(03-18-2014 03:35 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

It's hard to compare our fan support with other schools that get much better fan support - because none of them have had the home schedule we've had for the past decade. Not saying we'd ever have great fan support because this is a pro sports area, but the schedule has an impact. As of right now I think our ticket prices are very reasonable, so I don't think that's the problem.

You are correct. Bring Northwestern to Huskie Stadium instead of marketing the game in Evanston as an ersatz home game and watch what happens. I have confidence that we will get better teams coming to Huskie Stadium, but the scheduling will take some time. However, on the other side of the coin, we can't expect season ticket sales to rise until that does happen.

RE: to recap - 7 - 03-18-2014 03:47 PM

Northwestern and Illinois will never play in Huskie Stadium. Let it go.

I'm not sure how people are struggling so much with Northwestern being a defacto home game. It's obvious Frazier wanted to get 6 home games but because of how late in the game it was couldn't. So he switched out Wake with Northwestern in an effort to give the fans a game they could at least easily attend. He should be applauded for his forward thinking on that.

RE: to recap - NIU007 - 03-18-2014 03:51 PM

(03-18-2014 03:47 PM)7 Wrote:  Northwestern and Illinois will never play in Huskie Stadium. Let it go.

I'm not sure how people are struggling so much with Northwestern being a defacto home game. It's obvious Frazier wanted to get 6 home games but because of how late in the game it was couldn't. So he switched out Wake with Northwestern in an effort to give the fans a game they could at least easily attend. He should be applauded for his forward thinking on that.

I'm holding off on opinions of Frazier regarding scheduling since it's too soon to say. He at least seems to recognize it as an issue.

RE: to recap - BobL - 03-18-2014 04:17 PM

(03-18-2014 03:45 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(03-18-2014 03:35 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

You are correct. Bring Northwestern to Huskie Stadium instead of marketing the game in Evanston as an ersatz home game and watch what happens. I have confidence that we will get better teams coming to Huskie Stadium, but the scheduling will take some time. However, on the other side of the coin, we can't expect season ticket sales to rise until that does happen.

03-banghead

2004: Average attendance was 27052
Home Schedule:
SIU: 28,071
Bowling Green: 25,819(Friday Night)
Akron: 26,266
CMU: 27,385
Toledo: 27,719(Tuesday Night)

RE: to recap - armour248 - 03-18-2014 04:19 PM

(03-18-2014 03:51 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  I'm holding off on opinions of Frazier regarding scheduling since it's too soon to say. He at least seems to recognize it as an issue.

Scheduling is obviously a long process and it will be years before anyone can assess what Frazier did schedule wise. As 7 said, the NW game was a massive scheduling upgrade from the Wake game. Compher was notoriously bad at scheduling and Frazier has basically said as much. Honestly I'm not sure what anyone with any intelligence thought Frazier could do to our future schedules in less than a year.

And yeah, NW and Illinois will never set foot in Dekalb unless it's some sort of state mandate situation like in Michigan.