CSNbbs
UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI (/thread-682185.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - jobu - 03-16-2014 09:07 PM

http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/cbi/cbi14_bracket.pdf

RE: UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - STexMiner - 03-16-2014 09:17 PM

UTEP v. Fresno St.
Tulane v. Princeton
ODU v. South Dakota St.

UTEP and Tulane would meet if they win.

RE: UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - DrBox - 03-16-2014 09:19 PM

What the hell are we doing in that tournament, much less hosting.

RE: UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - UofMemphis - 03-16-2014 09:23 PM

(03-16-2014 09:19 PM)DrBox Wrote:  What the hell are we doing in that tournament, much less hosting.

WIN!

We need Tulane and ECU to build a little momentum...

RE: UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - Native Georgian - 03-16-2014 09:26 PM

(03-16-2014 09:19 PM)DrBox Wrote:  What the hell are we doing in that tournament, much less hosting.
It is incredible, isn't it?

RE: UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - RUNVSFD MINER - 03-16-2014 11:44 PM

(03-16-2014 09:23 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  

WIN!

We need Tulane and ECU to build a little momentum...

OK. We'll do it for you.

RE: UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - STexMiner - 03-17-2014 07:56 PM

Even though it's a meaningless game in a meaningless tourney, but I think UTEP-Fresno is a pretty important game for the conference. I think the wisdom is that the top 2 in the MWC are a step or two ahead of the top teams in CUSA, but the middle of the pack might be the opposite. UTEP and Fresno both came in fifth, so it might be a decent measuring stick to see where we are.

RE: UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - JDTulane - 03-17-2014 08:19 PM

Yah we belong in NO tourney.

RE: UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - Native Georgian - 03-18-2014 09:37 AM

(03-17-2014 07:56 PM)STexMiner Wrote:  Even though it's a meaningless game in a meaningless tourney, but I think UTEP-Fresno is a pretty important game for the conference. I think the wisdom is that the top 2 in the MWC are a step or two ahead of the top teams in CUSA, but the middle of the pack might be the opposite. UTEP and Fresno both came in fifth, so it might be a decent measuring stick to see where we are.
Pulling for UTEP in that one!

The winner of UTEP/Fresno plays the winner of Tulane/Princeton.

RE: UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - VA49er - 03-18-2014 10:52 AM

I don't agree with playing in those tournaments but since you are in it might as well win it! Best of luck!

RE: UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - Native Georgian - 03-18-2014 11:02 AM

(03-18-2014 10:52 AM)VA49er Wrote:  I don't agree with playing in those tournaments
What's the downside of participating in them?

RE: UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - Cnelson203 - 03-18-2014 11:12 AM

I disagree with those who say any team should automatic decline a post season tournament like the CBI (in particular, which includes larger schools) and the CIT. Winning in one of those tournaments is a bit of a resume builder. We aren't in a position, as a conference, where we can be all that selective given than we had ZERO bids, beyond Tulsa, in the NCAA's. If ECU wins the CIT and one of our reps wins the CBI, don't you think our conference rep will improve?

Now, if a group of Seniors chooses not to play (like MTSU), I understand that, given where they were last year, but to make blanket aspersions against post season play doesn't seem to be in our best interests as a conference.

i know Marshall is nowhere near even sniffing a post season tournament, and I would imagine most of our players would like to have continued playing a few more games.

Think where we might be if we win the NIT, the CBI and the CIT AND schedule and win a few more top 100 RPI games OOC.

RE: UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - bit_9 - 03-18-2014 11:40 AM

Experience is the best teacher. Our young team needs it. We hosted for $25,000. We will probably cover that and make money to boot and get an extra game under their belt at home. It's win win for us.

That being said if you don't think people will attend and you pay to host or have to pay for travel then I can see your argument.

RE: UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - oliveandblue - 03-18-2014 12:20 PM

Princeton is playing at Tulane... ...and I don't think that travel costs really mattered for a school like Princeton. I honestly think that Princeton-Tulane is more of an exhibition show than a postseason game.

RE: UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - olliebaba - 03-18-2014 12:25 PM

If it's only 25k to host I think UTEP will come out smelling like a rose. UTEP is selling 10 dollar general admission tickets and 30 dollars on the floor. They'll make that with no sweat. Besides, I think coach wants to try playing the new kids in town more as the games aren't as important as conference games.

RE: UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - WhyIsTheRumGone - 03-18-2014 02:21 PM

Good luck to all 3 schools! Would be cool to see a C-USA CBI Title game.

UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - davenat1986 - 03-18-2014 02:32 PM

Welp, the last time we played in it, and lost in the championship finals with a young team. The next year we made it to the NCAA. These games won't hurt our young team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - WhyIsTheRumGone - 03-18-2014 03:04 PM

(03-18-2014 02:32 PM)davenat1986 Wrote:  Welp, the last time we played in it, and lost in the championship finals with a young team. The next year we made it to the NCAA. These games won't hurt our young team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Really don't understand those who poo-poo these tournaments. Great experience! Best of luck to the Miners.

RE: UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - ODUBB35 - 03-18-2014 03:06 PM

Whether or not these tournaments are worth it depends on the team. A young team like ODU can gain valuable experience. (Frank Hassell really grew up in the 2009 CIT, and led us to back to back NCAAs in 2010 and 2011). If the team is senior laden, I guess it depends on what those seniors want to do. Perhaps a reward for a good season in which they fell short. Or some just say forget it, especially if they had higher expectations. ODU is happy to be in anything right now after last year’s nightmare.

RE: UTEP, Tulane and ODU in CBI - Wavebacker - 03-19-2014 09:53 AM

No one expected this from this season's Tulane team. This is a good thing. It may ring hollow and not register in many people's minds but playing in the post season and particularly playing Princeton at home is nice. We could learn a thing or two about the way they play and get a noteable "W" against them.