CSNbbs
My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches (/thread-682070.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - MemTiger90 - 03-16-2014 04:17 PM

Had a chance to sit on the front row during the AAC tournament here in Memphis this week. Got to see and hear 7 coaches up close and personal and here is a summary of what I witnessed first hand:
Mick Cronin - fowl, vulgar little man...I would not let him keep my dog after seeing how he talks to his players...by the way several of his players acted the same way...
Rick Pitino - coaches every possession, very active and very involved...even benched Russ Smith once because he didn't run the play...told him if you don't want to run the offense then go sit on the bench....however, was disappointed in the language that he used.
Larry Brown - still passionate about the game after all these years, demanded attention and he got it from his players
Kevin Ollie - very active, you can tell he is a players coach and understands the game like the player he was...he was the only coach where he and his entire staff walked to the other bench before the game and shook hands with the other coaches...may have been my favorite to watch
Donnie Jones - very deliberate...I don't think he made a single move without conferring with his lead assistant...time outs, substitutions, etc...Ive
never seen a coach do this so much.
Josh Pastner - exactly like you see and hear on TV and Radio, kept a great demeanor the entire time, never berated a player, coached hard during the game and at time outs, tried to motivate by encouragement. I can say this, he is someone you'd want your son to play for. Bad performance for sure, but I was proud of the way our coach handled himself.

RE: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - holyterror - 03-16-2014 04:24 PM

Cool beans. Tku.
Cronin and cincy are a good fit from what I can tell

RE: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - tigerlands - 03-16-2014 04:44 PM

(03-16-2014 04:17 PM)MemTiger90 Wrote:  Had a chance to sit on the front row during the AAC tournament here in Memphis this week. Got to see and hear 7 coaches up close and personal and here is a summary of what I witnessed first hand:
Mick Cronin - fowl, vulgar little man...I would not let him keep my dog after seeing how he talks to his players...by the way several of his players acted the same way...
Rick Pitino - coaches every possession, very active and very involved...even benched Russ Smith once because he didn't run the play...told him if you don't want to run the offense then go sit on the bench....however, was disappointed in the language that he used.
Larry Brown - still passionate about the game after all these years, demanded attention and he got it from his players
Kevin Ollie - very active, you can tell he is a players coach and understands the game like the player he was...he was the only coach where he and his entire staff walked to the other bench before the game and shook hands with the other coaches...may have been my favorite to watch
Donnie Jones - very deliberate...I don't think he made a single move without conferring with his lead assistant...time outs, substitutions, etc...Ive
Josh Pastner - exactly like you see and hear on TV and Radio, kept a great demeanor the entire time, never berated a player, coached hard during the game and at time outs, tried to motivate by encouragement. I can say this, he is someone you'd want your son to play for. Bad performance for sure, but I was proud of the way our coach handled himself.
Good stuff.

RE: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - TigerBill - 03-16-2014 04:47 PM

Thanks, very interesting stuff!

RE: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - DallasTiger - 03-16-2014 05:12 PM

For those aware of hearing Cal coach in a game, would you say he was more like Cronin?

RE: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - macgar32 - 03-16-2014 05:44 PM

Honestly most kids speak like Cronin...

So the coach speaking like the players normally do doesn't bother me as long as he understands when to do it. You gotta know what buttons to push and if that is cussing your players out that should be in the bag...Encouragement should be in your bag...Playing time should be in your bag...Intersquad competition should be in your bag...on and on.

RE: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - MemTiger90 - 03-16-2014 07:19 PM

(03-16-2014 05:12 PM)DallasTiger Wrote:  For those aware of hearing Cal coach in a game, would you say he was more like Cronin?

Cronin's mouth was way worse than Cal's. Cronin talked to everyone in a very vulgar manner. Players, coaches, referees...

RE: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - aTxTIGER - 03-16-2014 07:26 PM

(03-16-2014 05:12 PM)DallasTiger Wrote:  For those aware of hearing Cal coach in a game, would you say he was more like Cronin?

Oh yea.

RE: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - OneShiningMoment - 03-16-2014 07:53 PM

(03-16-2014 04:47 PM)TigerBill Wrote:  Thanks, very interesting stuff!

very yep!

RE: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - Tampa Bay Tiger - 03-16-2014 07:58 PM

I really enjoy watching Cronin.

RE: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - ndq1125 - 03-16-2014 08:04 PM

So pretty much based on how the tourney unfolded we need a coach with the characteristics of Olie Pitino and Pastner.

Olie - because he can relate to the players from a playe's standpoint.

Pitino - because the players have no choice but to respect a legend.

Pastner - because he will run a clean program.

RE: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - anothertigerfan - 03-16-2014 08:11 PM

Cronin scares me.

RE: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - NigelTufnel - 03-16-2014 08:16 PM

Mick Cronin is an angry little elf.

#callmeelfonemoretime

RE: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - 80sTiger - 03-16-2014 08:24 PM

Stalker

RE: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - John44932 - 03-16-2014 09:00 PM

I don't believe the OP.

Someone leaked Josh's halftime speech from the UConn game on youtube. He mistakenly refers to UConn as Purdue and is a little off on our record. Oh, and the video is mislabeled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMVmhI1SUq0

RE: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - hsvtiger - 03-16-2014 09:17 PM

(03-16-2014 07:58 PM)Tampa Bay Tiger Wrote:  I really enjoy watching Cronin take a shower.

04-jawdrop

RE: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - tiger-viper - 03-16-2014 10:45 PM

(03-16-2014 04:17 PM)MemTiger90 Wrote:  Had a chance to sit on the front row during the AAC tournament here in Memphis this week. Got to see and hear 7 coaches up close and personal and here is a summary of what I witnessed first hand:

do you happen to be an elderly lady?

RE: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - UofMemphis - 03-16-2014 10:48 PM

(03-16-2014 10:45 PM)tiger-viper Wrote:  

Why dies it anger you that Pastner isn't a vulgar little troll?

RE: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - tiger-viper - 03-16-2014 10:57 PM

(03-16-2014 10:48 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  
(03-16-2014 10:45 PM)tiger-viper Wrote:  

Why dies it anger you that Pastner isn't a vulgar little troll?

who's angry? it was an honest question.

RE: My experience sitting court side and listening to AAC coaches - Chi-TownTiger - 03-16-2014 10:59 PM

(03-16-2014 07:19 PM)MemTiger90 Wrote:  

Cronin's mouth was way worse than Cal's. Cronin talked to everyone in a very vulgar manner. Players, coaches, referees...

Jeezus. So Cronin has a potty mouth. This ain't the church league.