CSNbbs
Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Kevin Ollie is a WINNER (/thread-681814.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - TigerBabbler - 03-14-2014 10:48 PM

love how he handles his team...answers questions STRAIGHT...WITHOUT SMIRKING...AND CRACKING JOKES...has answers IN GAME...cultivates young men with positive body language....and develops leaders...that play the way HE (COACH) WANTS UCONN 2 Play...

You can SEE AND FEEL the PURPOSE and INTENTIONALITY from his style and his players play the same way...LOVE IT! RESPECT.

They will go far in NCAA...and they will beat Louisville.

RE: Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - Blackman - 03-14-2014 10:54 PM

Before we anoint him let's see how he does without Calhoun's players

Even Pastner seemed like a good defensive coach with Cal's leftovers.

RE: Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - dfwtxtiger - 03-14-2014 10:55 PM

(03-14-2014 10:48 PM)TigerBabbler Wrote:  love how he handles his team...answers questions STRAIGHT...WITHOUT SMIRKING...AND CRACKING JOKES...has answers IN GAME...cultivates young men with positive body language....and develops leaders...that play the way HE (COACH) WANTS UCONN 2 Play...

You can SEE AND FEEL the PURPOSE and INTENTIONALITY from his style and his players play the same way...LOVE IT! RESPECT.

TC.....is that you?

RE: Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - uofmcamaro - 03-14-2014 10:57 PM

My god when can these meant to bash on Pastner threads end?

RE: Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - Mimi - 03-14-2014 10:58 PM

In other words...there are 300 some odd other teams out there.

As such- there are incredible numbers of options in which to laud someone else- which is basically a way of taking a backhanded shot at us.

Maybe Ollie can even motivate his kids to beat Louisville- because that takes leading young men. And maybe Ollie because kids follow him, unlike other schools, will not lose to Louisville 81-48. And maybe because Ollie is such a great leader, unlike someone else we know, UConn will not lose two games in a row because they would not remain down.

My goodness.

Just a thought- but- how about- Ollie did a good job in getting his team to recover from getting blasted against Louisville and now they have another chance (a resiliency that a team like, Memphis- has shown all season). Instead of giving the gushing over the top attaboys with not so veiled messages ripping our own.

Big day Sunday. Try and enjoy it.

RE: Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - Mimi - 03-14-2014 11:01 PM

Ollie was such a leader of young men that while his opponent on February 15 drove the ball and drove the ball and drove the ball, their opponent shot 6 free throws in the course of the game- because he was such a great leader that he got them to play no defense.

Shrivel symptom.

RE: Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - uofmcamaro - 03-14-2014 11:03 PM

(03-14-2014 10:58 PM)NJ1 Wrote:  
(03-14-2014 10:57 PM)uofmcamaro Wrote:  My god when can these meant to bash on Pastner threads end?

soon, i hope

I have a feeling that regardless of how we lost last night the board would be the same. Of course I have no way of knowing but it seems that we could lose on a buzzerbeater 3 on our own floor and pitchforks would come out.

RE: Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - uofmcamaro - 03-14-2014 11:06 PM

(03-14-2014 11:01 PM)Mimi Wrote:  Ollie was such a leader of young men that while his opponent on February 15 drove the ball and drove the ball and drove the ball, their opponent shot 6 free throws in the course of the game- because he was such a great leader that he got them to play no defense.

Shrivel symptom.

Or such a great coach that a week ago he allowed Louisville to shoot 45% and his team shoot 29% while allowing Louisville to blow his team out 81-48.

"But he coached up in practice and his team responded and bounced back" they'll say....Memphis after Houston loss...Memphis after Cincy loss.

RE: Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - Tanyaskees - 03-14-2014 11:09 PM

(03-14-2014 11:03 PM)uofmcamaro Wrote:  
(03-14-2014 10:57 PM)uofmcamaro Wrote:  My god when can these meant to bash on Pastner threads end?

soon, i hope

I have a feeling that regardless of how we lost last night the board would be the same. Of course I have no way of knowing but it seems that we could lose on a buzzerbeater 3 on our own floor and pitchforks would come out.

I think they stay out waiting to pounce.

RE: Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - AtlTigerfan - 03-14-2014 11:11 PM

(03-14-2014 11:09 PM)Tanyaskees Wrote:  
(03-14-2014 11:03 PM)uofmcamaro Wrote:  

soon, i hope

I think they stay out waiting to pounce.

I agree...

RE: Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - JTS - 03-14-2014 11:15 PM

(03-14-2014 10:48 PM)NJ1 Wrote:  if they do beat Louisville, it takes a little bit of the stink off of whatever it was we did last night.

Not hardly

RE: Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - stratecashomie - 03-14-2014 11:16 PM

so no one is gonna post his quote from the post game interview with Katz?

"coaching is overrated.. it's a players game and players make plays. and i have one of the best ones in america"

Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - uofmcamaro - 03-14-2014 11:16 PM

(03-14-2014 11:16 PM)stratecashomie Wrote:  so no one is gonna post his quote from the post game interview with Katz?

"coaching is overrated.. it's a players game and players make plays. and i have one of the best ones in america"

Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - Mimi - 03-14-2014 11:17 PM

Memphis' LOSER coach on the other hand...

This year- while certainly having an inconsistent team...before last night- team had lost 8 games. The Florida loss and the road loss at UConn were noble losses. The home loss to UConn was actually tied with about 3? minutes left. Even the home loss to Cincy was in reach heading into the final media session but the final margin was still quite large. So- 5 solid or bad losses. How did that LOSER's team respond?

Bad loss at OK State.
Memphis won the Old Spice classic, with a finals win over- Oklahoma State.

Loss to Florida.
Simply not a bad loss in any way.

Home loss to Cincy.
Memphis went on the road and beat Louise.

Home loss to UConn (not really a bad loss).
Memphis won 4 in a row.

Big loss on road to SMU.
Memphis beats Gonzaga.

Road loss to UConn.
Simply not a bad loss at all- and the one game we were robbed.

Close game but road loss to mediocre Houston.
Memphis beats Louise.

Big loss at Cincy (1 point second half game gets out of had too fast).
Memphis beats ranked SMU.

Big home tourney loss to UConn.
If only our coach could ever get our kids to respond to a loss.

(yes- I get that having the 9 losses indicates inconsistency- a very different point)

RE: Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - sdhusky - 03-14-2014 11:18 PM

(03-14-2014 11:12 PM)NJ1 Wrote:  I think people just get frustrated. They care about their team, and C-USA made us soft. No, not our team, or our players. Our fans. Our fans have been made soft by years of fattening up win totals against C-USA. Many people here don't remember the year our Elite 8 team with Penny Hardaway got beat FOUR TIMES in one season by Cincinnati, in devastating fashion.

Watching that UConn/Cincinnati game tonight really put in stark relief how much improved our level of competition is. You go to sleep against one of those teams, you get hammered. You pout a little or show poor body language, you get exposed. One of their guys gets hot and goes off, and you get beat. There are teams with more than one good player, and teams that are both athletic AND good shooters so that you have to pick your poison on defense.

Our fanbase hasn't seen that level of competition in our league in a decade or so, probably much longer, actually. Probably closer to 20 years. This might be the best hoops league we've ever been in, at least at the top.

Can you imagine how good the BE was if (to a UCONN fan) the level of competition seems so soft this year?

We don't have a "vintage" UCONN team are still in the tourney finals???

Imagine this league with Syracuse, Georgetown, Pitt, Villanova, WVU etc.

It was amazing. And sad to see it over.

RE: Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - selleg1 - 03-14-2014 11:18 PM

(03-14-2014 10:48 PM)TigerBabbler Wrote:  love how he handles his team...answers questions STRAIGHT...WITHOUT SMIRKING...AND CRACKING JOKES...has answers IN GAME...cultivates young men with positive body language....and develops leaders...that play the way HE (COACH) WANTS UCONN 2 Play...

My be a great coach, but seems like a jerk to me.

RE: Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - Mimi - 03-14-2014 11:29 PM

Concerning the backhanded UConn (I would use UCT- which I know is incorrect but they would probably not pick up on that) appearance here.

As time passes, the Big East in its prime will be viewed as more competitive than the NBA.

It was unique. It was fun. After losing Miami, VTech and BC, replacing them with Marquette, Louisville and Cincy- it really elevated its basketball profile even more- but chose to get involved in the conference movement. The ACC started it, but the Big East, which we hear so much about now in terms of those old days and all the NYC area teams at MSG- CHOSE to grab DePaul and South Florida too. Miami and VT were not even part of the 1980s glory years.

I think the point is that while after the initial invite into the Big East two years ago, Memphis was also looking forward to playing against Louisville, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette and the like, even if Pitt and Syracuse leaving created the invite.

So- UConn fans, while you mean well in continuing with the somewhat condescending oh we are so disappointed at the quality of you guys- we are too. We expected more ourselves- and UConn itself just does not have that same feel.

Sure this comes across harsh, but I am a bit fatigued with the backhanded slaps at Memphis because your prized old conference took the money and ran too.

While some moping will certainly continue- just maybe you can do your best to embrace what you are right now- without constantly being so arrogantly dismissive of one of the hands that feeds you. The American next year without Memphis- would not be good for you.

Memphis stunk it up last night- but most are still perturbed at the screw job in Connecticut last month. Good luck.

RE: Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - I_LUV_MEMPHISTIGERS - 03-14-2014 11:36 PM

(03-14-2014 11:18 PM)sdhusky Wrote:  Can you imagine how good the BE was if (to a UCONN fan) the level of competition seems so soft this year?

We don't have a "vintage" UCONN team are still in the tourney finals???

Imagine this league with Syracuse, Georgetown, Pitt, Villanova, WVU etc.

It was amazing. And sad to see it over.

"I Can Only Imagine"

It would have been a disgustingly deep conference that represented the majority of the NCAA tournament.

Sorry Memphis didn't show up to compete last night. You guys deserve better.

RE: Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - sdhusky - 03-14-2014 11:43 PM

(03-14-2014 11:29 PM)Mimi Wrote:  So- UConn fans, while you mean well in continuing with the somewhat condescending oh we are so disappointed at the quality of you guys- we are too. We expected more ourselves- and UConn itself just does not have that same feel.

Sure this comes across harsh, but I am a bit fatigued with the backhanded slaps at Memphis because your prized old conference took the money and ran too.

While some moping will certainly continue- just maybe you can do your best to embrace what you are right now- without constantly being so arrogantly dismissive of one of the hands that feeds you. The American next year without Memphis- would not be good for you.

Memphis stunk it up last night- but most are still perturbed at the screw job in Connecticut last month. Good luck.

I think you miss the point. Playing in the AAC tourney, without any top 10 teams or top 5 teams, is a big step downward.

Condescending or not, its a fact.

Playing in Memphis on ESPNU vs MSG on ESPN is big step downward.

However, playing Memphis is great. You have a terrific program and beating you is a big deal. I am positive we are going to be on the other side of some tough losses against you guys.

It's not playing Syracuse (we have history) but its feels like playing UofL or Georgetown or Villanova or Pitt etc.

Just like playing UCONN doesn't feel like playing UofL for you guys.

I respect your program and look forward to competing with you guys.

RE: Kevin Ollie is a WINNER - TigerBill - 03-14-2014 11:46 PM

(03-14-2014 11:43 PM)sdhusky Wrote:  
(03-14-2014 11:29 PM)Mimi Wrote:  So- UConn fans, while you mean well in continuing with the somewhat condescending oh we are so disappointed at the quality of you guys- we are too. We expected more ourselves- and UConn itself just does not have that same feel.

I think you miss the point. Playing in the AAC tourney, without any top 10 teams or top 5 teams, is a big step downward.

Playing in Memphis on ESPNU vs MSG on ESPN is big step downward.

However, playing Memphis is great. You have a terrific program and beating you is a big deal. I am positive we are going to be on the other side of some tough losses against you guys.

It's not playing Syracuse (we have history) but its feels like playing UofL or Georgetown or Villanova or Pitt etc.

Just like playing UCONN doesn't feel like playing UofL for you guys.

I respect your program and look forward to competing with you guys.

Thanks, this makes sense and feels honest. If you need more fans, we have some you can have.