CSNbbs
Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this (/thread-680005.html)

Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - alcalde - 03-05-2014 01:05 AM

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/

My biggest worry would be facing Iowa State in the Elite 8. This one has Villanova as the 1, Syracuse as the 2 and SDSU as the 3. Softest region in NCAA history lol!

RE: Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - WeSingWithLove - 03-05-2014 01:17 AM

I know absolutely nothing about SDSU (3 seed), but looks good otherwise. Hope we get put in Milwaukee because I'm like an hour from there.

RE: Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - Psicosis - 03-05-2014 02:19 AM

SDSU is good, but definitely not a juggernaut.

RE: Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - alcalde - 03-05-2014 02:56 AM

Our remaining schedule is tougher than this road to the Final Four would be

RE: Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - mairving - 03-05-2014 07:52 AM

Villanova as a one seed is a joke. I have a feeling that the last one seed will come out of the ACC. Nova has 4 top 50 wins.

RE: Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - smoothsouthpaw - 03-05-2014 08:31 AM

VCU's Havoc system against that Syracuse zone would be interesting to see in Round of 32

RE: Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - eastcoastDave - 03-05-2014 09:01 AM

(03-05-2014 01:05 AM)alcalde Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/

My biggest worry would be facing Iowa State in the Elite 8. This one has Villanova as the 1, Syracuse as the 2 and SDSU as the 3. Softest region in NCAA history lol!

Much too early to start fretting against phanton opponents. There's still games to be played and tournaments to work through. Anything can happen between now and seeding weekend. I'll bet that there will be upsets and injuries. Last night, I watched Georgetown destroy Creighton, a highly regarded team. Creighton will fall and G'town likely won't make the NCAAs, unless they win the Big East torunament. And does anyone think that if the Tigers beat Cincinnati and SMU and then does well in the tourney that they'll stay in the seeding Palm has for them today? And what if we lose to Cincy and SMU and do poorly in the AAC postseason?

RE: Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - jptmemphis - 03-05-2014 09:05 AM

Going to the west coast is no good regardless of who we play. But these mock drags are all but worthless anyway unless you are on the 1st 4 lines. Everything beyond that is so fluid. Additionally, these sites match up intriguing game [both positive (MEMPHIS vs ARKANSAS) & negative (MEMPHIS on the 8-9line)] that are not realistic.

RE: Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - UofMstateU - 03-05-2014 09:53 AM

I would trade for UNC's 5 seed.

There are lots of errors in that bracket though. For one, it appears that all 5 AAC teams are in two regions, which cant happen.

RE: Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - alcalde - 03-05-2014 11:13 AM

(03-05-2014 07:52 AM)mairving Wrote:  Villanova as a one seed is a joke. I have a feeling that the last one seed will come out of the ACC. Nova has 4 top 50 wins.

I really think Wisconsin should be the clear #1 contender other than Kansas. I think the last #1 seed should go to either of them as long as they stay on course. Wisconsin beat both Florida and Virginia and has won 7 in a row in addition to the brutal Big 10 schedule wins.

As far as the ACC goes, Virginia may be the top seed in the ACC, but they have played the weakest schedule by far. They have only one win against the #2 and #3 teams combined. THey also have a win against the #4 team (UNC), but that was when they were playing horrible.

RE: Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - UofMstateU - 03-05-2014 11:38 AM

(03-05-2014 11:13 AM)alcalde Wrote:  
(03-05-2014 07:52 AM)mairving Wrote:  Villanova as a one seed is a joke. I have a feeling that the last one seed will come out of the ACC. Nova has 4 top 50 wins.

I really think Wisconsin should be the clear #1 contender other than Kansas. I think the last #1 seed should go to either of them as long as they stay on course. Wisconsin beat both Florida and Virginia and has won 7 in a row in addition to the brutal Big 10 schedule wins.

As far as the ACC goes, Virginia may be the top seed in the ACC, but they have played the weakest schedule by far. They have only one win against the #2 and #3 teams combined. THey also have a win against the #4 team (UNC), but that was when they were playing horrible.

What has happened with Virginia this year is what can happen when conferences dont play a balanced schedule. If you get the right combination of games, and Virginia did this year, a team can sometimes skate to a very high finish. This same Virginia team just got stomped by TN at the first of the year.

RE: Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - mairving - 03-05-2014 11:49 AM

The thing against Wisconsin is that they didn't win their conference so how would a 1 seed not be the conference winner unless another 1 seed was there.

Unless there are some early upsets I expect that the other 1 seed will be the tournament winner in either the ACC or Big 10 tournament. I don't think that any team in the Big 12 can get there. Kansas has played the most brutal schedule in history but I just don't see a team with 7 losses being a 1 seed.

RE: Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - alcalde - 03-05-2014 01:58 PM

(03-05-2014 11:49 AM)mairving Wrote:  

The thing against Wisconsin is that they didn't win their conference so how would a 1 seed not be the conference winner unless another 1 seed was there.

Unless there are some early upsets I expect that the other 1 seed will be the tournament winner in either the ACC or Big 10 tournament. I don't think that any team in the Big 12 can get there. Kansas has played the most brutal schedule in history but I just don't see a team with 7 losses being a 1 seed.

I really don't think it works that way. Conference placement is a factor, but it isn't close to everything, and it is very possible that a team that doesn't finish first in conference can have a much, much better profile than the team that does finish first.

In this case, the greatest gap is in the OOC strength of schedule. Michigan is 1st in the Big 10, but has an NC SOS of 86 compared to Wisconsin's 9.

Recall that Syracuse was on the #1 seed line as the #2 team in the ACC while Virginia was around a #4/3 for awhile until the beat Syracuse.

As for the straight up numbers between Virginia and Wisconsin for a 1 seed, its really not very close.

Wisconsin RPI = 5
Virginia RPI = 10

Wisconsin vs RPI top 50 = 9-3
Virginia vs RPI top 50 = 3-5

Wisconsin SOS = 2
Virginia SOS =30

Wisconsin best wins = Florida, Virginia, @Michigan
Virginia best wins = Syracuse, UNC, and SMU

Obviously there is more basketball to play. If Kansas, Wisconsin, and Villanova all lose their conference tournaments and Virginia wins out, they have a chance. But I believe that would be their only chance

RE: Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - thagr82008 - 03-05-2014 03:04 PM

brutal Big 10 schedule wins.

^ Excuse me. What constitutes the B1G10 as being so brutal?

RE: Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - Mimi - 03-05-2014 03:10 PM

If you want to look at potential fiorst round opponents...check out the bracket matrix and look at the 20 some odd teams surrounding opposite first round seeds.

Right now Memphis is looking at about a 6-8 seed. So check out teams in the 6 would play 11 and 8 would play 9- so look at schools around the 12-8 range.

One big difference this year- is that we really do have the chance to move up in seed- if sitting at a 7 now and if kids would go on to beat Cincy SMU and 2-3 games in the AAC tourney- you would think the seed would improve.

RE: Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - thagr82008 - 03-05-2014 03:10 PM

(03-05-2014 03:04 PM)thagr82008 Wrote:  

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskbl/sched/big10-m-baskbl-sched.html

I have never heard of half of these schools....Once they get to conference play the beat up on each other....But the B1G10 was overrated since this season has started07-coffee3

RE: Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - mairving - 03-05-2014 03:12 PM

Have you ever watched Big 10 basketball? It's brutal for me to watch. Just glad that there is a shot clock.

RE: Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - thagr82008 - 03-05-2014 03:20 PM

(03-05-2014 03:10 PM)thagr82008 Wrote:  

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskbl/sched/big10-m-baskbl-sched.html

I have never heard of half of these schools....Once they get to conference play the beat up on each other....But the B1G10 was overrated since this season has started07-coffee3

Notable OOC games:
OKSU thrashed Purdue was up 52>29 @ the half

CINCY thrashed Nebraska 72>59

Oregon beat Illinois

Wisc did beat Virginia 48>38 barnburner >don't think that would happen now

But I saw this to say that the B1G10 is very unimpressive

Arizona squeaked by Michigan @ Ann Arbor

RE: Try and dream up a better bracket for us than this - aTxTIGER - 03-05-2014 07:41 PM

I would love to make Deandre Kane our ***** for another year. I've missed him shitting the bed against us this season.