CSNbbs
PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? (/thread-679590.html)

Pages: 1 2

PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - Cataclysmo - 03-02-2014 12:35 PM

It seems to be pretty common talk around here to assume that next years attendance numbers will be pretty awful due to the home schedule. But is it really such a stretch to believe that they might not be?

Bear with me here. Through three games we played at PBS, we drew something like 60K and 45K twice (rough estimates). Obviously, those were opponants of far greater prestige and such, but those are also numbers that far surpass anything we've seen at Nippert. Furthermore, Louisville was pretty bad when we played them at PBS.

My question is this. If the Bearcats happen to be good this year (10 win season or better) is it possible that Attendance actually improves? To me, it almost seems as if PBS has drawn MORE fans to the game than Nippert and last years attendance was actually pretty good despite a similarly bad schedule. I know I'm getting far ahead of myself here, but itd be pretty cool to win the conference championship in front of 40000+

RE: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - dossbig - 03-02-2014 01:26 PM

Did you pick up a dobbie in CO recently?

Even when UL is down they travel better than an up Toledo.

OK brought fans and the newness of playing a big name at PBS attracted the casual fan.

The UT game has already been reduced by being up against "Friday Night Lights".

What other game is compelling to the casual fan? ECU (who), UH (who), USF, UConn, Miami O Who? Will any of them bring fans? Perhaps a few from The EC Who Pirates.

Miami doesn't travel, hell unless UC is in Oxford few go to the games.

Now compound that if some of these games are midweek specials which will further hurt attendance by families.

I will be buying season tickets for 25th straight year as a UCATS Donor but prefer my 47 yard line Section 107 row 29 at Nip to PBS.

(03-02-2014 12:35 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  It seems to be pretty common talk around here to assume that next years attendance numbers will be pretty awful due to the home schedule. But is it really such a stretch to believe that they might not be?

Bear with me here. Through three games we played at PBS, we drew something like 60K and 45K twice (rough estimates). Obviously, those were opponants of far greater prestige and such, but those are also numbers that far surpass anything we've seen at Nippert. Furthermore, Louisville was pretty bad when we played them at PBS.

My question is this. If the Bearcats happen to be good this year (10 win season or better) is it possible that Attendance actually improves? To me, it almost seems as if PBS has drawn MORE fans to the game than Nippert and last years attendance was actually pretty good despite a similarly bad schedule. I know I'm getting far ahead of myself here, but itd be pretty cool to win the conference championship in front of 40000+

RE: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - Cataclysmo - 03-02-2014 01:27 PM

I recall UL not bringing nearly as many fans as expected actually. And didnt we draw well with some div 2 school this previous year?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

RE: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - bearcatmark - 03-02-2014 01:41 PM

Louisville had very few fans at the game at PBS a couple of years ago. It was almost entirely Bearcat fans making up the crowd.

RE: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - Flying Bearcat - 03-02-2014 01:53 PM

I would not be shocked to see the Miami OH game at 40,000+ attendance. Remember 2 years ago when we had it at the Nip and it sold out. I don't know if I would expect a lot of Miami fans, but I would not be surprised to see more UC fans come out just because it is Miami. I will say the same for the ECU game.

RE: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - bearcatlawjd - 03-02-2014 02:09 PM

(03-02-2014 01:53 PM)Flying Bearcat Wrote:  I would not be shocked to see the Miami OH game at 40,000+ attendance. Remember 2 years ago when we had it at the Nip and it sold out. I don't know if I would expect a lot of Miami fans, but I would not be surprised to see more UC fans come out just because it is Miami. I will say the same for the ECU game.

The Miami OH game attendance is the one to watch. Should that game be played every season at PBS if it draws better than 40,000? Make it part of the schools' season ticket package.

If UC's schedule set up like this every season, I think fans would be happy.

4 home conference games
4 road conference games
Miami at PBS
2 home non conference games
1 road non conference game

Or at the very least play at PBS instead of Oxford for our road games.

RE: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - indycat - 03-02-2014 02:43 PM

It's all speculation at this point, but I too believe attendance will be better than many expect this year. I've been around UC football a long time; remembering Vandy playing @ Nippert in front of 6,000 fans and a Rose Bowl team from Wisconsin visiting with their fans drawing maybe 18,000 in our stadium. That's why the large crowd for an FCS school last year at Nippert was a turning point. People are now coming to watch UC, not the opponent, and interest should continue to grow.

The real downside to PBS: 40,000 fans will have the appearance of a small crowd; Pitt fights that perception every season. But it's just one season. ECU, Houston and Toledo will bring pretty exciting teams to town; better teams than some of those we saw in the Big East some years from UConn, Syracuse or USF.

UC must make a good faith effort to get fans in the stands this season while concurrently building excitement for Nippert in 2015. We all want the re-opening game to be sold out and with expanded seating and amenities 2015 should easily set a new attendance record. That, along with some winning football are more building blocks in the case for a conference upgrade.

RE: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - Edgebrookjeff - 03-02-2014 03:05 PM

The Miami OH game attendance is the one to watch. Should that game be played every season at PBS if it draws better than 40,000? Make it part of the schools' season ticket package.

4 home conference games
4 road conference games
Miami at PBS

[/quote]

That has been my feeling all along. Make it a neutral site game where season ticket holders for each school get good seats. That's the only way the series should go forward.

RE: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - BeerCat - 03-02-2014 03:23 PM

I agree, I have said it a couple times already, this is a huge opportunity for Bearcat football. Many folks who are terrified of Clifton love going to the Banks. Next season can bring a lot of new fans to the Bearcats if they really make a push for it.

Tailgating will be pretty awesome at PBS.

RE: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - Bearcat Otto - 03-02-2014 03:29 PM

(03-02-2014 02:09 PM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 01:53 PM)Flying Bearcat Wrote:  I would not be shocked to see the Miami OH game at 40,000+ attendance. Remember 2 years ago when we had it at the Nip and it sold out. I don't know if I would expect a lot of Miami fans, but I would not be surprised to see more UC fans come out just because it is Miami. I will say the same for the ECU game.

4 home conference games
4 road conference games
Miami at PBS

Nippert will host all UC home games with the new construction.

RE: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - rosewater - 03-02-2014 03:58 PM

I do not want to take games away from campus, but I enjoyed the PBS atmosphere(Oklahoma) more than Nippert. It is easier access, and the restaurants are better. Unfortunately, we will not get this number of fans every week, so the place would be a mausoleum.

RE: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - Bearcats#1 - 03-02-2014 04:01 PM

If we get out of the gate quickly, and beat either O$U or Miami, and build up some steam with a national ranking then I could see will drawing 38K+ per game at PBS next year. A huge series of If's however. If we stumble, are worse than expected, then by the time our horrid AAC conference games start we will be lucky to draw 28K to PBS.....

RE: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - ucnaticat - 03-02-2014 05:49 PM

There are a lot of variables here. When games are played. Who we are playing. Our record. What other games are directly competing against UC.

Toledo Friday night might get some casual fans. Will also lose many fans who will support the FNLights. Thats a wash. If there is good weather, possibly 30000. There are several reasons the FBS school was a big draw last year. It was a perfect night weather wise. There were several hundred youth football players on the field who each bring their whole fandamily. Plus, it was youth cheer night which had to add 1500 butts in seats.

As a die hard football fan, the new conference is a yawn. Who cares who we play. A down UL is a bigger draw than any team in the league for the casual fan. Houston, UCF, and ECU are not UL,WVU,sPITT, SU and never will be.

If we have a bad year, watch out. It might just be the season ticket holders there. From what I have heard, this is the least talented team we have had in 7 years.

RE: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - CliftonAve - 03-02-2014 06:51 PM

Miami fans will travel better to PBS than people think. The drive to PBS is easier than going to Oxford for many of them. Plus they have a new engaging coach. If they start our decently their fans will come in droves.

RE: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - Ragpicker - 03-02-2014 07:45 PM

(03-02-2014 06:51 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  ...their fans will come in droves.

Both of them.

RE: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - vabearcat - 03-02-2014 08:31 PM

(03-02-2014 01:41 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Louisville had very few fans at the game at PBS a couple of years ago. It was almost entirely Bearcat fans making up the crowd.

This is not true. UofL had 6,000-7,000 fans in attendance out of the 41,000 in total attendance. Also, the UC home game against Wisconsin drew slightly more than 27,000.

RE: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - apoe - 03-02-2014 08:45 PM

(03-02-2014 08:31 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 01:41 PM)bearcatmark Wrote:  Louisville had very few fans at the game at PBS a couple of years ago. It was almost entirely Bearcat fans making up the crowd.

This is not true. UofL had 6,000-7,000 fans in attendance out of the 41,000 in total attendance. Also, the UC home game against Wisconsin drew slightly more than 27,000.

I don't think Louisville was anywhere near 6-7K. WVU brought about that number

RE: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - dossbig - 03-02-2014 09:25 PM

Fans like me aren't paying a minimum of $15,000 for pavilion and suite seats at Nip to have premium games being moved down town.

The Miami games should go back to being played at UC every year, be ended or be a two for one.

RE: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - subflea - 03-02-2014 09:29 PM

How much do you pay for your seats doss? I don't think you have mentioned it enough times for it to sink into my memory yet.

RE: PBS Attendance Not as Bad as It Seems? - CliftonAve - 03-02-2014 10:21 PM

(03-02-2014 08:45 PM)apoe Wrote:  
(03-02-2014 08:31 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  

I don't think Louisville was anywhere near 6-7K. WVU brought about that number

Agreed. There were no more than 3500-4000 Louisville fans in attendance a couple years ago, possibly less. You have to remember that was still before Louisville became ESPN and the ACC's (same difference) favorite former Big East school. Charlie Strong had just gone 7-6 the year before and in his second stint the Cards had already lost to FIU and Marshall. Cards fans were starting to wonder if it would take much longer for them to get back to where they were under Petrino. They didn't make the drive.. remember this group had been bad to mediocre every year since 2006 at this time.