CSNbbs
ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city (/thread-679197.html)

Pages: 1 2

ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - Bearcat2012 - 02-28-2014 01:57 PM

In recent years, Cronin has attracted lucrative offers to leave Cincinnati. One school promised to make it rain on his life with a sum so ridiculous that he thought it was a joke. Another program had the gift of a multimillion-dollar TV deal, additional BCS money from a conference revenue-sharing deal and more national exposure than the Bearcats currently enjoy playing in the American Athletic Conference.

But the Rick Pitino and Bob Huggins disciple continues to say no -- a simple word with a layered explanation.

Cronin isn't just the Bearcats' coach. He's Cincinnati's coach.

The offers could come again. Cincy entered the season as a sleeper in the American but could end the year as its champion. Sean Kilpatrick is one of the best players in the country. The Bearcats harass teams with a defensive furor that few can equal.

But Cronin's connection to the program, the city and a lively little girl nurtures the unique bond between the team, the coach and the community that surrounds them.

Leave Cincy? He's too busy building it.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10525532/cincinnati-hometown-head-coach-mick-cronin-deep-connection-city-bearcats-program

RE: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - bcat80 - 02-28-2014 02:11 PM

(02-28-2014 01:57 PM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  In recent years, Cronin has attracted lucrative offers to leave Cincinnati. One school promised to make it rain on his life with a sum so ridiculous that he thought it was a joke. Another program had the gift of a multimillion-dollar TV deal, additional BCS money from a conference revenue-sharing deal and more national exposure than the Bearcats currently enjoy playing in the American Athletic Conference.

But the Rick Pitino and Bob Huggins disciple continues to say no -- a simple word with a layered explanation.

The offers could come again. Cincy entered the season as a sleeper in the American but could end the year as its champion. Sean Kilpatrick is one of the best players in the country. The Bearcats harass teams with a defensive furor that few can equal.

But Cronin's connection to the program, the city and a lively little girl nurtures the unique bond between the team, the coach and the community that surrounds them.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10525532/cincinnati-hometown-head-coach-mick-cronin-deep-connection-city-bearcats-program

Great article!

RE: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - SuperFlyBCat - 02-28-2014 02:15 PM

Nice write up by that guy.

RE: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - Bearcat2012 - 02-28-2014 02:16 PM

(02-28-2014 02:11 PM)bcat80 Wrote:  
(02-28-2014 01:57 PM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  In recent years, Cronin has attracted lucrative offers to leave Cincinnati. One school promised to make it rain on his life with a sum so ridiculous that he thought it was a joke. Another program had the gift of a multimillion-dollar TV deal, additional BCS money from a conference revenue-sharing deal and more national exposure than the Bearcats currently enjoy playing in the American Athletic Conference.

Great article!

Kudos to ESPN. (for a change)

Fantastic insight . We are fortunate to have him.

RE: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - BearcatBeta - 02-28-2014 02:20 PM

excellent recruiting material

RE: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - EffinBJ - 02-28-2014 02:22 PM

Nice article. We're in good hands, obviously.

RE: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - The T-Shirt - 02-28-2014 02:56 PM

"BUT GUYS!!!! IF WE DONT DO SOMETHING FAST, HE IS GONNA LEAVE!!!"

- Bill Koch and/or Paul Daugherty

Re: RE: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - RealDeal - 02-28-2014 03:17 PM

(02-28-2014 02:20 PM)BearcatBeta Wrote:  excellent recruiting material

That article should be sent to every recruits parent. Who would you rather have coaching your kid?

RE: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - BearcatsUC - 02-28-2014 03:20 PM

Wonderful article. Makes me even more proud of the program.

RE: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - Bearcats#1 - 02-28-2014 03:52 PM

great article

i openly apologize for all Mick bashing i did prior to or first ncaa game a few years ago and freely admit i was wrong regarding Conin.

SO glad he's our coach

RE: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - dbernie41 - 02-28-2014 04:18 PM

Privileged to have him as a Bearcat.

RE: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - Cataclysmo - 02-28-2014 04:28 PM

Ever since that article where Lawrences mom said that she wanted Jermaine to go to UC because Cronin would make him into a man, I have been an adamant supporter of both Coach Mick, and Father Mick.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

RE: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - Cat-Man - 02-28-2014 05:26 PM

Good article.

I especially like the dig indirectly referencing Urban Meyer about signing a contract with his daughter/family. 05-stirthepot

Boy, there must really still be some bad blood between Huggins and Cronin. They hardly ever quote Huggins in stories like these, and always refer to Pitino as Cronin's mentor. He only spent 2 years with Pitino. Hard to say who had the biggest influence on his coaching career. Yet to me, it seems Cronin is trying to mold his teams into the Huggins model, more so than Pitino type teams.

RE: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - BigDawg - 02-28-2014 05:30 PM

Great article and definitely happy to have Mick leading our Cats. Hopefully this makes the rounds in the recruiting world as it could be a huge boost.

RE: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - bearcatlawjd - 02-28-2014 05:38 PM

Great article.

RE: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - bearcatmill - 02-28-2014 06:40 PM

Great article! Proud to have Mick as a coach.

RE: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - apoe - 02-28-2014 08:34 PM

Great article. As others have said, we are lucky to have Mick as a coach. It still amazes me that I learn things from national writers while the local guys sit on their hands.

RE: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - OneUChoopsfan - 02-28-2014 08:35 PM

I have two words. Opie Taylor.

[Image: ncf_mickcronin_ms_576x324.jpg]

RE: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - eastside cat - 02-28-2014 09:41 PM

The basketball program is lucky to have Mick. Wow, would it be nice if they can get to the final four this year.

RE: ESPN : The coach, his princess and his city - FenderStratCat - 02-28-2014 10:25 PM

When I see him doing post games or mid-weeks, it's like all that hard work has finally paid off. And it's not like it was a guarantee either. There were times when even Mick himself probably questioned it all. I know that I thought while listening to some post game interviews several years ago that it sounded like he was learning on the job and questioned if that's what we needed then. Now the answer has become clear to everyone, even espn: Mick is the Man! It does also echo a familiar coach in the not too distant past where that person turned down "more lucrative" jobs to remain a Bearcat. No question which mentor he got that from.