CSNbbs
31 years ago today - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Sports Bar (/forum-531.html)
+---- Thread: 31 years ago today (/thread-679146.html)

Pages: 1 2

31 years ago today - Smaug - 02-28-2014 11:09 AM

77% of American TVs are tuned in to the final episode of M*A*S*H

RE: 31 years ago today - DrTorch - 02-28-2014 11:27 AM

I was there.

RE: 31 years ago today - AngryAphid - 02-28-2014 11:32 AM

I like to think of it as the night that the most annoying laugh track in TV history died.

Plus, a 2.5 hour episode is pretty much a television movie.

RE: 31 years ago today - ClairtonPanther - 03-01-2014 01:59 AM

Was a fantastic tv show. Watched the reruns as a kid. Was alive for the final MASH but too young to remember it. I do remember watching Cheers as a toddler.

RE: 31 years ago today - PirateTreasureNC - 03-01-2014 09:58 AM

I was never a MASH guy. I watched it enough in the early 80s but never got into it.

RE: 31 years ago today - bitcruncher - 03-01-2014 10:13 AM

I couldn't get into the TV show, after year one. When Trapper left, it went downhill fast with BJ. Besides, the movie was so much better.

RE: 31 years ago today - flyingswoosh - 03-01-2014 02:09 PM

(03-01-2014 10:13 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I couldn't get into the TV show, after year one. When Trapper left, it went downhill fast with BJ. Besides, the movie was so much better.

that's how I feel about Cheers when Kirstie Alley came on board. I'll never understand why people liked her character.

RE: 31 years ago today - PirateTreasureNC - 03-01-2014 04:11 PM

(03-01-2014 02:09 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(03-01-2014 10:13 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I couldn't get into the TV show, after year one. When Trapper left, it went downhill fast with BJ. Besides, the movie was so much better.

that's how I feel about Cheers when Kirstie Alley came on board. I'll never understand why people liked her character.

I was kind of ambivalent to that change but it might have been because I never really caught a lot of the episodes prior to Kristie Ally coming on so I had no attachment to her.

RE: 31 years ago today - bitcruncher - 03-02-2014 01:04 PM

I was never a fan of Cheers. I couldn't stand Shelly Long or Kirstie Alley. The best character on the show was Coach, and he died early.

RE: 31 years ago today - georgia_tech_swagger - 03-02-2014 03:41 PM

It's amazing how fragile TV shows are with regard to cast. The Office died as soon as Steve Carell left.

RE: 31 years ago today - flyingswoosh - 03-02-2014 04:13 PM

(03-02-2014 01:04 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
I was never a fan of Cheers. I couldn't stand Shelly Long or Kirstie Alley. The best character on the show was Coach, and he died early.

agree with that

RE: 31 years ago today - flyingswoosh - 03-02-2014 04:15 PM

(03-02-2014 03:41 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  It's amazing how fragile TV shows are with regard to cast. The Office died as soon as Steve Carell left.

I was a big fan of Monk (which was one of the shows at the forefront of the cable TV/original series era that we're in) and once Sharona left and was replaced, the show went straight downhill

RE: 31 years ago today - CliftonAve - 03-03-2014 09:17 AM

I think there is more to it than the exodus of Trapper (and I would throw in Henry Blake as well). IMO the show went downhill because Alan Alda continued to take over more and more of the creative process. The first few years were the best because they were much more light-hearted. Alda made the show much more dramatic and instilled politics into the discussion.

For what it's worth, both Wayne Rogers (Trapper) and McLean Stevens (Blake) left due to personal disputes with Alda.

RE: 31 years ago today - DrTorch - 03-03-2014 05:45 PM

(03-03-2014 09:17 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

I think there is more to it than the exodus of Trapper (and I would throw in Henry Blake as well). IMO the show went downhill because Alan Alda continued to take over more and more of the creative process. The first few years were the best because they were much more light-hearted. Alda made the show much more dramatic and instilled politics into the discussion.

For what it's worth, both Wayne Rogers (Trapper) and McLean Stevens (Blake) left due to personal disputes with Alda.

McLean Stevens then went on to the show "Hello Larry", about a psychologist in the pacific northwest who has a radio call-in show where he gives advice.

Pfft. No way that kind of premise would ever make it.

RE: 31 years ago today - flyingswoosh - 03-03-2014 06:20 PM

(03-03-2014 05:45 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(03-03-2014 09:17 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

McLean Stevens then went on to the show "Hello Larry", about a psychologist in the pacific northwest who has a radio call-in show where he gives advice.

Pfft. No way that kind of premise would ever make it.

can you imagine a show like that lasting 11 seasons or something? cray cray

RE: 31 years ago today - flyingswoosh - 03-03-2014 06:27 PM

with regards to older TV shows I think it's fun to see how many of them were connected. We don't have that today, but back then one show could birth a few.

out of All In The Family we got:
-The Jeffersons
-Maude

From Maude we got Good Times

Obviously Frasier spun off from Cheers

Gomer Pyle spun off from Andy Griffith

RE: 31 years ago today - AngryAphid - 03-03-2014 06:50 PM

(03-03-2014 06:27 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  with regards to older TV shows I think it's fun to see how many of them were connected. We don't have that today, but back then one show could birth a few.

-The Jeffersons
-Maude

Yeah spinoffs, or contrived spinoffs like Laverne and Shirley were common…
still none of them compare to The Simpsons.

RE: 31 years ago today - flyingswoosh - 03-03-2014 07:15 PM

(03-03-2014 06:50 PM)AngryAphid Wrote:  
(03-03-2014 06:27 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  with regards to older TV shows I think it's fun to see how many of them were connected. We don't have that today, but back then one show could birth a few.

-The Jeffersons
-Maude

for my money South Park was better than the Simpsons. But what does the Simpsons have to do with spin offs?

RE: 31 years ago today - AngryAphid - 03-03-2014 09:24 PM

(03-03-2014 07:15 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(03-03-2014 06:50 PM)AngryAphid Wrote:  

-The Jeffersons
-Maude

for my money South Park was better than the Simpsons. But what does the Simpsons have to do with spin offs?

The Simpsons is a spinoff from The Tracey Ullman Show.

Man that was a long time ago…
I guess a lot of folks from this board wasn’t around back then.

RE: 31 years ago today - CliftonAve - 03-04-2014 05:37 AM

-The Jeffersons
-Maude

All in the Family, The Jeffersons and Maude were all produced by Norman Lear. Good Times was produced by Mike Evans (who played Lionel in The Jeffersons).