CSNbbs
Coach Montgomery Questions - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Coach Montgomery Questions (/thread-677583.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Coach Montgomery Questions - pantone1935 - 02-17-2014 03:11 PM

As he is finishing up his third year:

What was the length of the contract?
Has he gotten any extensions?
Does it look like Frazier will work out an extension?

Hopefully 222 has some of the answers.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Coach Montgomery Questions - armour248 - 02-17-2014 03:16 PM

Five years. No extensions. Not sure why you would agree on an extension until during/after next season.

RE: Coach Montgomery Questions - pantone1935 - 02-17-2014 03:22 PM

(02-17-2014 03:16 PM)armour248 Wrote:  Five years. No extensions. Not sure why you would agree on an extension until during/after next season.

If you think he is turning around program and you don't want to lose him. Also maybe a bigger buyout.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Coach Montgomery Questions - armour248 - 02-17-2014 03:35 PM

(02-17-2014 03:22 PM)pantone1935 Wrote:  If you think he is turning around program and you don't want to lose him. Also maybe a bigger buyout.

Makes sense but in order to increase his buyout he is going to want something...probably a lot more money and only a one year extension. I'm sure his aspirations are to coach at a bigger, more prominent basketball program. I'm not sure if he would even want to extend beyond 2016.

RE: Coach Montgomery Questions - PrideinthePack - 02-17-2014 03:59 PM

Coaching contracts are routinely broken, an extension of whatever length won't deter Montgomery from signing it. He'll be looking for more annual salary after this season, the number years isn't important because he'll leave for a better opportunity once it comes along.

RE: Coach Montgomery Questions - cagy cager - 02-17-2014 04:33 PM

The best reason for NIU to sign Monty to an extension now is recruiting. As there are no scholarships left for 2014–15 high school juniors are being recruited. Without an extension when they set for campus monty will only have one year left. And don't think other programs wont use that against the huskies

RE: Coach Montgomery Questions - dekalb222 - 02-17-2014 05:17 PM

I believe its important to Monty to get NIU to the top of the MAC. I also know he believes they can get to March Madness soon. I know he is in no hurry to leave. I do not believe he goes any where while Highsmith is here also bball coaches don't move on as easily as ftball coaches. He is turning things around but they are a middle of the road MAC team. I don't think a school is going to take him away for awhile.

RE: Coach Montgomery Questions - dekalb222 - 02-17-2014 05:30 PM

If, you believe better days are ahead, you give Monty two more years, at the end of the season.

RE: Coach Montgomery Questions - PrideinthePack - 02-17-2014 06:05 PM

I can see Monty leaving as soon as after next season, money talks. A bottom feeder from a major conference will take a chance on him. $$$

RE: Coach Montgomery Questions - 7huskie6 - 02-17-2014 06:36 PM

(02-17-2014 06:05 PM)PrideinthePack Wrote:  I can see Monty leaving as soon as after next season, money talks. A bottom feeder from a major conference will take a chance on him. $$$

Hate to say it but I agree. There will be big money jobs available and he'll be a leading candidate.

RE: Coach Montgomery Questions - dekalb222 - 02-17-2014 07:01 PM

What Monty will have went thru turning NIU around, I am not so sure he will want to start all over so soon. I know money talks, but if he has a legit chance at March Madness for multiple years, he may not leave. You guys are way ahead of things.

RE: Coach Montgomery Questions - 7huskie6 - 02-17-2014 07:06 PM

"March Madness for multiple years" and we're ahead of things?

RE: Coach Montgomery Questions - dekalb222 - 02-17-2014 07:26 PM

7huskies6, He is not getting a BCS job just because NIU wins17-18 games. They would need to be in March Madness to get that job. John Groce and the coach from Florida Golf Coast are good examples. I also believe, NIU will have a legit chance at MACC starting next year.

RE: Coach Montgomery Questions - PrideinthePack - 02-17-2014 08:54 PM

(02-17-2014 07:26 PM)dekalb222 Wrote:  7huskies6, He is not getting a BCS job just because NIU wins17-18 games. They would need to be in March Madness to get that job. John Groce and the coach from Florida Golf Coast are good examples. I also believe, NIU will have a legit chance at MACC starting next year.

Illinois and USC (despite it's recent struggles) are higher profile jobs. He wouldn't need the March Madness success because he wouldn't be in line for jobs like that. He'd be in like for like a Nebraska job.

NIU has never been a place where there has been a legit chance for multiple March Madness appearances. He'll be long gone before NIU turns into that. Whether he's fired or moves up.

RE: Coach Montgomery Questions - MaddDawgz02 - 02-17-2014 09:08 PM

(02-17-2014 08:54 PM)PrideinthePack Wrote:  
(02-17-2014 07:26 PM)dekalb222 Wrote:  7huskies6, He is not getting a BCS job just because NIU wins17-18 games. They would need to be in March Madness to get that job. John Groce and the coach from Florida Golf Coast are good examples. I also believe, NIU will have a legit chance at MACC starting next year.

Illinois and USC (despite it's recent struggles) are higher profile jobs. He wouldn't need the March Madness success because he wouldn't be in line for jobs like that. He'd be in like for like a Nebraska job.

NIU has never been a place where there has been a legit chance for multiple March Madness appearances. He'll be long gone before NIU turns into that. Whether he's fired or moves up.

It is arguable though that NIU could already be at that point next season. When you look at the rest of the MAC and what NIU returns next season, its almost impossible to not put NIU in a top 4 type situation going into next season.

RE: Coach Montgomery Questions - 7huskie6 - 02-17-2014 09:26 PM

Don't forget the MSU years. I'm sure he'd like to get back to that level some day.

RE: Coach Montgomery Questions - dekalb222 - 02-17-2014 09:31 PM

This isn't just a one year turnaround. This program is going to be at the top for multiple years. If, Highsmith doesn't go down, this years team is fighting for a first round bye. They lack one thing, a consistent 10-14pt scorer. Highsmith had become that.

RE: Coach Montgomery Questions - dekalb222 - 02-17-2014 09:34 PM

Nebraska is the Big Tens NIU, in basketball. Both programs on the rise from the ashes.

RE: Coach Montgomery Questions - niusfactuary - 02-17-2014 09:58 PM

It remains to be seen if he can hold a team together, if we lose 3 good players to transfer, it's not gonna matter if highsmith returns or not...how about we have a better than .500 season before we worry about him leaving.

RE: Coach Montgomery Questions - dekalb222 - 02-17-2014 10:06 PM

There will not be any players leaving. If there is it will be with the coaching staffs blessing.