CSNbbs
Comcast buying TWC - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: Comcast buying TWC (/thread-676880.html)

Pages: 1 2

Comcast buying TWC - HuskieJohn - 02-12-2014 10:04 PM

@davidfaber: Comcast to buy Time Warner Cable in all stock deal worth $159 per $TWC share- sources. Deal set for tomorrow morning. Ratio is 2.875 $CMCSA.

RE: Comcast buying TWC - HuskieJohn - 02-12-2014 10:28 PM

Interested to see if we have games on Comcast this football season. That would be great for the MAC. Even if they expand their secondary channel CSN+.

RE: Comcast buying TWC - Miami (Oh) Yeah ! - 02-13-2014 12:01 AM

This is great news for the MAC. The MAC Network on NBC Regional is gonna be awesome when its fully launched!

RE: Comcast buying TWC - cmufanatic - 02-13-2014 07:17 AM

(02-13-2014 12:01 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  This is great news for the MAC. The MAC Network on NBC Regional is gonna be awesome when its fully launched!

MACTION, it is COMCASTIC 04-cheers

RE: Comcast buying TWC - axeme - 02-13-2014 07:23 AM

This is very bad news for the consumer. Great news for investors. History has taught us this lesson many times. Prices will go up and service and innovation will go down.

RE: Comcast buying TWC - DrTorch - 02-13-2014 08:11 AM

(02-13-2014 07:23 AM)axeme Wrote:  This is very bad news for the consumer. Great news for investors. History has taught us this lesson many times. Prices will go up and service and innovation will go down.

Yes, and if anyone is familiar w/ Comcast they will recognize that their service performance is abysmal. Comcast is even worse than TWC for most hated companies

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-15-most-disliked-companies-in-america.html

RE: Comcast buying TWC - Bull_In_Exile - 02-13-2014 08:48 AM

Yes Comcast is terrible in terms of service...

I had digital that used to degrade for about an hour at 7am every day (when my kids was watching Curios George). I called service and they sent out tech who told me "the problem must be the wiring in your house" hey for a few hundred they offered to run a new line around my house, and punch it through the front.....

So I dumped them and have been cable free ever since. I just upgraded to Charter for internet and their tech was amazing. Good guy, smart, worked with me and even dropped a new line for my dsl gratis(ish) because the phone wires in my house are not twisted pair.

RE: Comcast buying TWC - CMichFan - 02-13-2014 09:19 AM

(02-13-2014 08:48 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Yes Comcast is terrible in terms of service...

I had digital that used to degrade for about an hour at 7am every day (when my kids was watching Curios George). I called service and they sent out tech who told me "the problem must be the wiring in your house" hey for a few hundred they offered to run a new line around my house, and punch it through the front.....

So I dumped them and have been cable free ever since. I just upgraded to Charter for internet and their tech was amazing. Good guy, smart, worked with me and even dropped a new line for my dsl gratis(ish) because the phone wires in my house are not twisted pair.

Comcast isn't even an option in my current area, so I went with AT&T U-verse. Only other choice, I believe, is Brighthouse.

RE: Comcast buying TWC - Love and Honor - 02-13-2014 09:26 AM

(02-13-2014 09:19 AM)CMichFan Wrote:  
(02-13-2014 08:48 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  Yes Comcast is terrible in terms of service...

Comcast isn't even an option in my current area, so I went with AT&T U-verse. Only other choice, I believe, is Brighthouse.

I use U-Verse as well, Charter being the cable option around these parts. With this being good news for the MAC, I guess I get to eat my cake and have it too.

RE: Comcast buying TWC - uakronkid - 02-13-2014 01:59 PM

https://fiber.google.com/

Can not get here fast enough.

RE: Comcast buying TWC - NIU007 - 02-13-2014 02:26 PM

(02-13-2014 07:23 AM)axeme Wrote:  This is very bad news for the consumer. Great news for investors. History has taught us this lesson many times. Prices will go up and service and innovation will go down.

This still has to be reviewed by the FTC right? It's possible they won't allow it. I never had the option for TWC, only Comcast so it doesn't further limit my already limited options.

RE: Comcast buying TWC - HuskieJohn - 02-13-2014 03:29 PM

(02-13-2014 09:19 AM)CMichFan Wrote:  

I saw on twitter from a sports TV guru who said brighthouse is part of TWS so he expects that to be part of the deal.

RE: Comcast buying TWC - HuskieJohn - 02-13-2014 03:34 PM

If anyone can find a better map please post it. Basically the blue is taking over the red and likely the grey. If the MAC can keep a secondary deal with them, even for little money, it should be good exposure. If ESPN wants to keep us off of this real competitor then they need to pay us at least CUSA money.

[Image: top_10_MSO_footprints.jpg]

RE: Comcast buying TWC - JSF - 02-13-2014 03:43 PM

Anybody who thinks this is a good thing knows nothing about Comcast.

RE: Comcast buying TWC - RecoveringHillbilly - 02-13-2014 03:45 PM

This bad ass map from the FCC's site on cable distribution was posted here a while back:

Bad Motherf**king Map

RE: Comcast buying TWC - Policiious - 02-13-2014 03:52 PM

I'll be surprised if the Justice Dept lets this fly. The stench of reducing competition hangs in the air on this one

RE: Comcast buying TWC - chuckwalker - 02-13-2014 04:09 PM

Maybe I don't understand good enough, but how does it reduce competition. I can only get Cox Cable- I can't choose between Time Warner and/or Comcast.

It's not like consumers will be choosing one cable company when they used to choose two- its that they choose one that has the TWC name and now it will have the Comcast name.

I have Direct TV because the cable company service was always terrible when I had TWC in the past.

Unfortunately our TV deal has shut me out because I have Direct TV and if I wanted to switch to cable (Cox) or ATT Uverse- I will still be shut out. I can't even watch on ESPN Gameplan or Full Court due to blackouts. Maybe Comcast will be more understanding (maybe their relationship with Direct TV is better)- I don't know.

RE: Comcast buying TWC - Steve1981 - 02-13-2014 04:21 PM

Actually switched in the past 30 days to TWC from DirectTV, because wanted access to watchespn, which work great on the LG2 G2 phone and my home computers. Along with NBCSports, CBSSports and NESN without a sports package. Have all the features that my sister has with Comcast. We see incoming phone # and name if available popping up on the tv and the same on demand features.

That said, we leave in that tiny island of TWC surrounded by Comcast. Don't think it will be a major change for at least a year. Do know several years ago Comcast approached TMC to buy the Athol-Orange area. They gave a ridiculous price and all Comcast wiring had to go around our area.

RE: Comcast buying TWC - RecoveringHillbilly - 02-13-2014 05:13 PM

Buffalo's local news reported NY Sen. Schumer talked to Comcast, saying they would look to unload certain markets to ease concerns. He says they aren't looking to divest in any NY markets. I had thought possibly Cablevision would look to grab Upstate but it won't happen. I wonder what Comcast plans for future Ohio holdings.

RE: Comcast buying TWC - BruceMcF - 02-13-2014 05:22 PM

(02-13-2014 04:09 PM)chuckwalker Wrote:  Maybe I don't understand good enough, but how does it reduce competition. I can only get Cox Cable- I can't choose between Time Warner and/or Comcast.

It's not like consumers will be choosing one cable company when they used to choose two- its that they choose one that has the TWC name and now it will have the Comcast name.
There's two ways ... first, using their size to put the squeeze on satellite & internet subscription TV, and upstream of that, where they are making deals with content providers.

It's been suggested the new company should be called "why is my internet so slow?"