CSNbbs
beatles tribute - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Charles Harris Memorial People's Forum (/forum-511.html)
+------ Thread: beatles tribute (/thread-676454.html)

Pages: 1 2

beatles tribute - Willie Becton - 02-10-2014 09:23 AM

well?

my take:
Frampton walsh grohl. all so cool. They were GREAT.
maroon 5 needs to go away.

here comes the sun was incredible.

Alisha keys and stevie wonder need to realize it's not all about them.
(Alisha. don't ever do that to Let it Be again. Ever. it is NOT an R&B song you weirdo)

I still don't know who the boy band is that performed revolution but that was painful.

Katy Perry makes me want to punch something.

I still wish Mark David Chapman had aimed about a foot to the left.

George Harrison has a mini-me and Ringo Starr, I'm pretty sure, was wearing his daughter's shirt.

Did I mention how awesome dave grohl is? (cute daughter. but their little thing was a kinda shameless)

I give it a C+
Nice try but more nostalgia, fewer cover tune BS.

What'd y'all think?

RE: beatles tribute - Tiger46 - 02-10-2014 10:04 AM

(02-10-2014 09:23 AM)Willie Becton Wrote:  well?

my take:
Frampton walsh grohl. all so cool. They were GREAT.
maroon 5 needs to go away.

here comes the sun was incredible.

Alisha keys and stevie wonder need to realize it's not all about them.
(Alisha. don't ever do that to Let it Be again. Ever. it is NOT an R&B song you weirdo)

I still don't know who the boy band is that performed revolution but that was painful.

Katy Perry makes me want to punch something.

I still wish Mark David Chapman had aimed about a foot to the left.

George Harrison has a mini-me and Ringo Starr, I'm pretty sure, was wearing his daughter's shirt.

Did I mention how awesome dave grohl is? (cute daughter. but their little thing was a kinda shameless)

I give it a C+
Nice try but more nostalgia, fewer cover tune BS.

What'd y'all think?

I thought it was awesome, Katy Perry maybe the weakest set but it's her style. Joe Walsh tore up "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", had the whole house standing up.

Also Paul was losing his voice after his third song. But McCartney's band is incredible, seen him about four times in the last twenty years.

Amazing what these guys accomplished, the songs that they wrote in the short span they were together. Obvious from last night's show how many musicians they inspired, just as Elvis inspired them.

Ringo makes 74 look good and his wife still turns heads.

RE: beatles tribute - TigerBill - 02-10-2014 10:43 AM

I could only watch half an hour, most dreadful ting I've seen in years. Not one decent performance, and now we see why Annie Lennox hasn't been around. Good God she was awful, but Stevie Wonder and Alicia Keys were even worse. I give me an F for wasting thirty minutes of my life on it.

RE: beatles tribute - Willie Becton - 02-10-2014 11:29 AM

don't get me wrong
Alisha and stevie are fantastic at what THEY do.

but what they do ain't the beatles.

I like annie lennox. their song choice was horrible tho.
it was nails-to-the-chalkboard to me.

How about Joe Walsh looking and sounding good.
clean living right there.

RE: beatles tribute - KRB - 02-10-2014 12:46 PM

I enjoyed the Joe Walsh, Gary Clark Jr., while my guitar gently weeps. It was a highlight. I sorta figured Katy Perry would bomb. Not enough auto tune,or pro tools for her. Now you see how much production means. It is good to see Georges son, Dhanni. Most of the other stuff was dreadful. I enjoyed some of it.

RE: beatles tribute - georgiatiger - 02-10-2014 05:36 PM

I DVRed it. Not I know which parts to watch. Mucho thanks.

RE: beatles tribute - UofM_Tiger - 02-10-2014 05:49 PM

(02-10-2014 12:46 PM)KRB Wrote:  I enjoyed the Joe Walsh, Gary Clark Jr., while my guitar gently weeps. It was a highlight. I sorta figured Katy Perry would bomb. Not enough auto tune,or pro tools for her. Now you see how much production means. It is good to see Georges son, Dhanni. Most of the other stuff was dreadful. I enjoyed some of it.

I agree. Joe Walsh doing While My Guitar Gently Weeps was the highlight of the night for me. Love Stevie Wonder, but that was not his style. And Katy Perry and Alicia Keys were the worst. Don't know how John Legend kept from cringing during his duet with Keys. Ringo and Sir Paul did well for a couple of seventy year old men.

RE: beatles tribute - 21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha - 02-10-2014 10:47 PM

If I had known Gary Clark, Jr. was going to play, I would have watched. What I heard about it makes me not want to watch the DVR.

RE: beatles tribute - Tiger46 - 02-11-2014 09:50 AM

(02-10-2014 10:47 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  If I had known Gary Clark, Jr. was going to play, I would have watched. What I heard about it makes me not want to watch the DVR.

It's worth watching, especially when you can fast forward thru what you don't like. Only a couple of sub par performances in my opinion.

RE: beatles tribute - Willie Becton - 02-11-2014 09:58 AM

(02-11-2014 09:50 AM)Tiger46 Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 10:47 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  If I had known Gary Clark, Jr. was going to play, I would have watched. What I heard about it makes me not want to watch the DVR.

It's worth watching, especially when you can fast forward thru what you don't like. Only a couple of sub par performances in my opinion.

precisely

and UofM Tiger, you summed up my thoughts without my obligatory cynicism. ha. to be commended!
04-cheers

RE: beatles tribute - TigerBill - 02-11-2014 10:17 AM

(02-11-2014 09:58 AM)Willie Becton Wrote:  
(02-11-2014 09:50 AM)Tiger46 Wrote:  

precisely

and UofM Tiger, you summed up my thoughts without my obligatory cynicism. ha. to be commended!
04-cheers

What's wrong with obligatory cynicism?

RE: beatles tribute - tigerjeb - 02-11-2014 08:13 PM

well if you missed it, the ratings were so big, cbs is replaying it wednesday night i hear. definately skip the katy perry bit and the unknown douchebags that trashed revolution

RE: beatles tribute - Willie Becton - 02-12-2014 11:03 AM

D&Z said yesterday that walking dead got better ratings than both the beatles tribute and the Olympics

RE: beatles tribute - KRB - 02-12-2014 12:45 PM

Some of it was great, some of it was horrid.

RE: beatles tribute - Tiger46 - 02-13-2014 10:04 AM

(02-12-2014 11:03 AM)Willie Becton Wrote:  D&Z said yesterday that walking dead got better ratings than both the beatles tribute and the Olympics

It did.

Do they have a way to measure not only what people watch real time, but what they record and watch later?

RE: beatles tribute - Tiger46 - 02-13-2014 10:06 AM

(02-11-2014 08:13 PM)tigerjeb Wrote:  well if you missed it, the ratings were so big, cbs is replaying it wednesday night i hear. definately skip the katy perry bit and the unknown douchebags that trashed revolution

I think it depends on which generation you grew up in and how you enjoyed that show. I thought it was great even though a few of the performers weren't up to par, but The Beatles are hard to do, even for some obviously successful artists. I thought Brad Paisley struggled and I like him. Maroon 5 hit their songs dead on.

Joe Walsh ruled.

RE: beatles tribute - mjaytee - 02-13-2014 12:27 PM

I DVR'd it and had it playing in the background while I completing a report for my job. I wasn't paying any attention until "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" because 1. I wasn't expecting it to be on the playlist, 2. In my opinion, Joe Walsh and Gary Clark, Jr., killed it.

I'll have to go back and watch the other acts with my full attention, as background music I didn't find any of it too horrendous.

RE: beatles tribute - georgiatiger - 02-15-2014 12:28 AM

Finally got around to it. Can't disagree with much of the above. Loved seeing Walsh put back together. They could have done so much better, and should have. If only they could have gotten Jeff Beck. KRB will know what I mean.

RE: beatles tribute - oldmangrizz - 02-15-2014 07:24 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. I guess I had a different take on it. I didn't care musically for some of the performances, but I thought it was great for it's purpose......a celebration of the anniversary of one of the greatest musical stories and collaberations of all time. The nostalgic value alone was worth having to listen to some not so flattering performances. In that sense, I thought it was great.

RE: beatles tribute - KRB - 02-15-2014 05:29 PM

(02-15-2014 12:28 AM)georgiatiger Wrote:  Finally got around to it. Can't disagree with much of the above. Loved seeing Walsh put back together. They could have done so much better, and should have. If only they could have gotten Jeff Beck. KRB will know what I mean.

You mean a little something like this, and he has your favorite bass player.