CSNbbs
Does staff really read this board? . . . If so, read this RE: Dom's shooting - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Does staff really read this board? . . . If so, read this RE: Dom's shooting (/thread-675194.html)

Does staff really read this board? . . . If so, read this RE: Dom's shooting - Herff Tiger - 02-02-2014 02:32 PM

I meant to post this before the SMU game, so this comment is not based on the shots he missed yesterday. I couldn't see anyway b/c the stream wasn't working.

That hook shot Dom has looks to me like it's too flat. Granted, I'm not seeing it in person. If he would get a little arc on it, more would go in. I know that would bring more "touch" into it, and maybe he wants to avoid that, but shooting it that flat makes it have to be very precise to go through the hoop. Maybe he should use the backboard if he wants to keep it that flat.

Actually, I would try teaching the bigs to go off glass on their free throws, too, but what do I know, I'm just an internet loudmouth.

Another free throw thing I would try, if I were "coach for a day", would be to move closer, maybe even to 10 feet, and shoot 'til there's no doubt it's going in (or very little doubt). Then move back a little and repeat, then move back to the FT line. At farther distances, accept more misses. Maybe start at 8 feet if required to get a get a very high percentage of makes.

RE: Does staff really read this board? . . . If so, read this RE: Dom's shooting - NigelTufnel - 02-02-2014 02:36 PM

Bank shot free throws ... only by accident.

RE: Does staff really read this board? . . . If so, read this RE: Dom's shooting - Tgrrfan - 02-02-2014 02:47 PM

The best exercise for free throw shooting, besides repetition, is to shoot over and over and only try to hit the front of the rim. The purpose of this exercise is to show your brain a physical spot to hit with the ball - much like a baseball pitcher hitting a catcher's mitt. As you shoot, your brain will adjust the shot to just get it over the rim, still eyeing the rim. The reason basketball is so difficult is because your brain is constantly telling you to "just miss" the rim and aim for a space.

This is also the theory behind using the backboard, a lost art. Players are now shooting layups without using the backboard, which statistically reduces the opportunity to make shots.

RE: Does staff really read this board? . . . If so, read this RE: Dom's shooting - TigerBo - 02-02-2014 02:54 PM

(02-02-2014 02:32 PM)Herff Tiger Wrote:  I meant to post this before the SMU game, so this comment is not based on the shots he missed yesterday. I couldn't see anyway b/c the stream wasn't working.

That hook shot Dom has looks to me like it's too flat. Granted, I'm not seeing it in person. If he would get a little arc on it, more would go in. I know that would bring more "touch" into it, and maybe he wants to avoid that, but shooting it that flat makes it have to be very precise to go through the hoop. Maybe he should use the backboard if he wants to keep it that flat.

Actually, I would try teaching the bigs to go off glass on their free throws, too, but what do I know, I'm just an internet loudmouth.

Another free throw thing I would try, if I were "coach for a day", would be to move closer, maybe even to 10 feet, and shoot 'til there's no doubt it's going in (or very little doubt). Then move back a little and repeat, then move back to the FT line. At farther distances, accept more misses. Maybe start at 8 feet if required to get a get a very high percentage of makes.

Also re Dom; If we aren't posting up Dom and getting him the ball on the block, then his strength isn't being utilized. When he gets someone on his hip is when he can be productive.. not in an up and down type game.

RE: Does staff really read this board? . . . If so, read this RE: Dom's shooting - Brother Bluto - 02-02-2014 02:57 PM

(02-02-2014 02:54 PM)TigerBo Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 02:32 PM)Herff Tiger Wrote:  I meant to post this before the SMU game, so this comment is not based on the shots he missed yesterday. I couldn't see anyway b/c the stream wasn't working.

Also re Dom; If we aren't posting up Dom and getting him the ball on the block, then his strength isn't being utilized. When he gets someone on his hip is when he can be productive.. not in an up and down type game.

Yeah what was up wih him playing the high post and setting ball screens?

RE: Does staff really read this board? . . . If so, read this RE: Dom's shooting - BIGDTiger - 02-02-2014 02:57 PM

(02-02-2014 02:47 PM)Tgrrfan Wrote:  The best exercise for free throw shooting, besides repetition, is to shoot over and over and only try to hit the front of the rim. The purpose of this exercise is to show your brain a physical spot to hit with the ball - much like a baseball pitcher hitting a catcher's mitt. As you shoot, your brain will adjust the shot to just get it over the rim, still eyeing the rim. The reason basketball is so difficult is because your brain is constantly telling you to "just miss" the rim and aim for a space.

This is also the theory behind using the backboard, a lost art. Players are now shooting layups without using the backboard, which statistically reduces the opportunity to make shots.

I once hit 87 in a row using what you've explained. Granted it was in a gym with only the team watching. I also once won a free throw contest at a small state fair...my claim to glory!

RE: Does staff really read this board? . . . If so, read this RE: Dom's shooting - Brother Bluto - 02-02-2014 03:00 PM

(02-02-2014 02:57 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 02:47 PM)Tgrrfan Wrote:  The best exercise for free throw shooting, besides repetition, is to shoot over and over and only try to hit the front of the rim. The purpose of this exercise is to show your brain a physical spot to hit with the ball - much like a baseball pitcher hitting a catcher's mitt. As you shoot, your brain will adjust the shot to just get it over the rim, still eyeing the rim. The reason basketball is so difficult is because your brain is constantly telling you to "just miss" the rim and aim for a space.

I once hit 87 in a row using what you've explained. Granted it was in a gym with only the team watching. I also once won a free throw contest at a small state fair...my claim to glory!

Nobody will try the Rick Barry style.

RE: Does staff really read this board? . . . If so, read this RE: Dom's shooting - Herff Tiger - 02-02-2014 03:01 PM

(02-02-2014 02:36 PM)NigelTufnel Wrote:  Bank shot free throws ... only by accident.

Bigs generally don't have delicate shooting touch, and I think it's easier to hit the square you're looking straight at, with a little backspin, than to arc one in, especially when you're so tall and shooting a much flatter trajectory.

RE: Does staff really read this board? . . . If so, read this RE: Dom's shooting - Herff Tiger - 02-02-2014 03:13 PM

The "move closer method" used to work for me. We didn't play b-ball year-round like they do now and I would have to get back in the groove after playing baseball and football. My "end of shooting practice" drill was to make 100 FT's in a row before I would let myself quit. Granted, there were times I couldn't do it and quit anyway after getting to the 90's three or four times, but probably 70% of the time, I could.

Whatever the team is doing now is not working, so they need to try something, anything.

RE: Does staff really read this board? . . . If so, read this RE: Dom's shooting - hsvtiger - 02-02-2014 03:14 PM

Regarding FT shooting, focus on the net hook on the very front of the rim and "think" of shooting the ball just over it.
FOCUS! Also, you need to practice when tired.
Shaq's biggest FT issue is that he completely straightens his legs before starting his shooting motion, which is a common flaw among poor FT shooters. It makes you shoot flat and which less touch on the ball. Watch him and you will see.

RE: Does staff really read this board? . . . If so, read this RE: Dom's shooting - Sheldon Cooper - 02-02-2014 03:40 PM

(02-02-2014 03:01 PM)Herff Tiger Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 02:36 PM)NigelTufnel Wrote:  Bank shot free throws ... only by accident.

Bigs generally don't have delicate shooting touch, and I think it's easier to hit the square you're looking straight at, with a little backspin, than to arc one in, especially when you're so tall and shooting a much flatter trajectory.

Keith Lee had a great %. Part of what made him a complete player.

RE: Does staff really read this board? . . . If so, read this RE: Dom's shooting - Tiger46 - 02-03-2014 02:50 PM

(02-02-2014 03:00 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  

Only you and I remember that

RE: Does staff really read this board? . . . If so, read this RE: Dom's shooting - mairving - 02-03-2014 04:14 PM

(02-03-2014 02:50 PM)Tiger46 Wrote:  

Funny how it worked for Rick Barry but it didn't when Wilt tried it.

RE: Does staff really read this board? . . . If so, read this RE: Dom's shooting - Tiger46 - 02-03-2014 05:41 PM

(02-03-2014 04:14 PM)mairving Wrote:  

Barry was a shooter.

Re: RE: Does staff really read this board? . . . If so, read this Dom's shooting - mairving - 02-03-2014 08:43 PM

(02-03-2014 05:41 PM)Tiger46 Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 04:14 PM)mairving Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 02:57 PM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  I once hit 87 in a row using what you've explained. Granted it was in a gym with only the team watching. I also once won a free throw contest at a small state fair...my claim to glory!

Barry was a shooter.

I know. I remember Wilt tried it. Wilt also used to stand near the top of the key. Still couldn't hit a free throw. No one really tried it much after Barry. I think it was because they look like a wuss.