CSNbbs
It's all about defense - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: It's all about defense (/thread-675079.html)

Pages: 1 2

It's all about defense - 3601 - 02-01-2014 08:40 PM

We had a really good stretch late in the 1st half. We played great zone D, forced 5 straight turnovers, and built a 7 or 8 point lead. W needed to go in for the kill at that point, but SMU finished the 1st half on a flurry and tied it up at the half.

The 2nd half couldn't have started worse and the game was very quickly out of hand.

RE: It's all about defense - AtlTigerfan - 02-01-2014 08:51 PM

During that stretch we missed 2 to 3 gimmes and about 5 free throws. We make those and its probably a different game.

RE: It's all about defense - 3601 - 02-01-2014 09:19 PM

We forced 5 straight turnovers out of the zone and built a 23-15 lead with 6:57 in the 1st half. SMU finished the 1st half on a 14-6 run to tie the game at the half and started the 2nd half on an 8-0, 11-3, 15-5 and 24-7 run. 17 points down with 13:43 to play. Ballgame.

RE: It's all about defense - AtlTigerfan - 02-01-2014 09:30 PM

We should've been up by at least 10 and probably 14 to 15.

RE: It's all about defense - Marc Mensa - 02-01-2014 09:37 PM

(02-01-2014 08:51 PM)AtlTigerfan Wrote:  During that stretch we missed 2 to 3 gimmes and about 5 free throws. We make those and its probably a different game.

they shot 70% from the field in the second half, so give it a rest on the gimmes and FT's. Praise Jesus they only shot 50% from the FT line. Time for defensive boot camp VIII... "the ocho".

RE: It's all about defense - AtlTigerfan - 02-01-2014 10:12 PM

(02-01-2014 09:37 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 08:51 PM)AtlTigerfan Wrote:  During that stretch we missed 2 to 3 gimmes and about 5 free throws. We make those and its probably a different game.

they shot 70% from the field in the second half, so give it a rest on the gimmes and FT's. Praise Jesus they only shot 50% from the FT line. Time for defensive boot camp VIII... "the ocho".

You really need to calm down....

RE: It's all about defense - Tygrys - 02-01-2014 10:20 PM

(02-01-2014 10:12 PM)AtlTigerfan Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 09:37 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  

You really need to calm down....

Ya... You stop pointing out facts... I mean it is not like this is becoming a trend.

Sincerely,

UCONN

RE: It's all about defense - jlbphila - 02-04-2014 11:03 AM

I re-watched the 2nd half last night. Memphis' effort / execution in the zone was really awful. SMU exploited the inside, exploited the baseline, exploited the corners. Memphis wasn't quick, wasn't communicating, and wasn't in the right places. Memphis players often don't even put their hands up to contest jump shots.

It was hard to even tell what defense Memphis was in at times (man or zone) and I think the players were clearly confused at times.

One of Memphis' guards in particular seems to get beat off the dribble repeatedly. He's either too slow to guard at this level or isn't trying to stay in front of his man.

All that said, SMU was really hot, and got a favorable whistle - but none of that covered up a really woeful defensive performance.

RE: It's all about defense - salukiblue - 02-04-2014 11:10 AM

Their shots fell, our didn't. Simple as that.

Our shots fall, I'm a great coach, they don't fall people want me out.

Maybe we need to re-institute the "dap" systems. Chart those bad boys during practice and start the "all-DAP" team next game.

RE: It's all about defense - jlbphila - 02-04-2014 11:12 AM

(02-04-2014 11:10 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  Their shots fell, our didn't. Simple as that.

Maybe we need to re-institute the "dap" systems. Chart those bad boys during practice and start the "all-DAP" team next game.

(a) Is that Tim Mcarver Stadium?
(b) While I agree that Pastner's interview answers are asinine, I think he knows way more than he's letting on. On one level, he's right that a game's momentum can turn on a few shots falling one way or another. On another level, he surely watches the film and realizes where the defensive lapses are. I think his simplistic answers are attributable to his relentless optimism and belief in positive energy.

RE: It's all about defense - tiger2000 - 02-04-2014 11:13 AM

(02-04-2014 11:03 AM)jlbphila Wrote:  I re-watched the 2nd half last night. Memphis' effort / execution in the zone was really awful. SMU exploited the inside, exploited the baseline, exploited the corners. Memphis wasn't quick, wasn't communicating, and wasn't in the right places. Memphis players often don't even put their hands up to contest jump shots.

It was hard to even tell what defense Memphis was in at times (man or zone) and I think the players were clearly confused at times.

One of Memphis' guards in particular seems to get beat off the dribble repeatedly. He's either too slow to guard at this level or isn't trying to stay in front of his man.

All that said, SMU was really hot, and got a favorable whistle - but none of that covered up a really woeful defensive performance.

Perfectly stated and correct on all points. The fact that we don't get our hands up drives me crazy - I've seen too many examples of it first-hand at many home games.

RE: It's all about defense - salukiblue - 02-04-2014 11:16 AM

(02-04-2014 11:12 AM)jlbphila Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 11:10 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  Their shots fell, our didn't. Simple as that.

(b) While I agree that Pastner's interview answers are asinine, I think he knows way more than he's letting on. On one level, he's right that a game's momentum can turn on a few shots falling one way or another. On another level, he surely watches the film and realizes where the defensive lapses are. I think his simplistic answers are attributable to his relentless optimism and belief in positive energy.

Yup. Timmy Mac.

That place was a dump, but it was great. Spent almost my entire time there in some fashion while it was there. Such an odd setup with the chain link fence and the walkway RIGHT next to the field of play. You could literally walk up to a guy in the on deck circle and be 5 feet from him.

The BEST heckling I ever heard.

RE: It's all about defense - MemphisCanes - 02-04-2014 11:23 AM

Yup, I really can't believe that many people put any credence in what Pastner (or any other college coach) says after a win or a loss.

If you ask any coach in history about a loss, 99% of the time the first thing out of their mouth is going to be "we have to execute". It's a placating answer that every coach ever gives after a loss.

Pastner does it to the extreme, after wins, before wins, whenever. Do you think he ACTUALLY thinks that Rutgers is a good team, is well coached, runs good stuff? It's lip service.

What is said in film study and in practice is what I'm interested in, and none of us are privy to it unfortunately.

RE: It's all about defense - tiger2000 - 02-04-2014 11:23 AM

(02-04-2014 11:16 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  

Yup. Timmy Mac.

That place was a dump, but it was great. Spent almost my entire time there in some fashion while it was there. Such an odd setup with the chain link fence and the walkway RIGHT next to the field of play. You could literally walk up to a guy in the on deck circle and be 5 feet from him.

The best is when they would have nickel beer night - draft beer for a nickel (this was in the 90s). We'd get one of those mcdonald's style drink holders and take 4 draft beers back to the stands.

The beer guy thought it was for each of us and our 3 other buddies, but we'd knock down 4 draft beers each. It was hotter than hell and the beer was bad but it was a lot of fun.

RE: It's all about defense - salukiblue - 02-04-2014 12:00 PM

(02-04-2014 11:23 AM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  

Yup, I really can't believe that many people put any credence in what Pastner (or any other college coach) says after a win or a loss.

If you ask any coach in history about a loss, 99% of the time the first thing out of their mouth is going to be "we have to execute". It's a placating answer that every coach ever gives after a loss.

Pastner does it to the extreme, after wins, before wins, whenever. Do you think he ACTUALLY thinks that Rutgers is a good team, is well coached, runs good stuff? It's lip service.

What is said in film study and in practice is what I'm interested in, and none of us are privy to it unfortunately.

I would be more concerned that he really believes the "shots didn't fall" stuff to be true as the barometer of why Memphis wins games.

RE: It's all about defense - Brother Bluto - 02-04-2014 12:03 PM

(02-04-2014 12:00 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 11:23 AM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  

I would be more concerned that he really believes the "shots didn't fall" stuff to be true as the barometer of why Memphis wins games.

I'm hoping to God it's coach speak, but after his soapbox postgame at UCF I'm starting to wonder.

RE: It's all about defense - MemphisCanes - 02-04-2014 12:09 PM

(02-04-2014 12:00 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  I would be more concerned that he really believes the "shots didn't fall" stuff to be true as the barometer of why Memphis wins games.

I'd be concerned too if I thought that was the case, but I don't think it is. It's just what he tells the media to keep from actually having to say something.

I hear Martin do it here in Kville. Mumble mumble "Gotta execute; Jordy and Antonio have to make their open looks. Jarnell has to put the ball in the basket". mumble mumble.

Lip service.

RE: It's all about defense - salukiblue - 02-04-2014 12:29 PM

(02-04-2014 12:09 PM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 12:00 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  I would be more concerned that he really believes the "shots didn't fall" stuff to be true as the barometer of why Memphis wins games.

I'd be concerned too if I thought that was the case, but I don't think it is. It's just what he tells the media to keep from actually having to say something.

I hear Martin do it here in Kville. Mumble mumble "Gotta execute; Jordy and Antonio have to make their open looks. Jarnell has to put the ball in the basket". mumble mumble.

Lip service.

I just listened to Zo's UF and UA's postgames. He def said they have to make shots but he also seemed less defensive about the questions and was still explanatory about what the alternatives were.

In this case, UF was doubling the post, trying to keep Stokes out of scoring position and playing zone. In that case, there might be more reasons why shots need to fall. He also explained, though, that the players needed to drive more.

Most games, it's not a zone thing that requires "shots to fall" it is a guard thing. There is little need to play zone vs. Memphis when they don't chose to go inside to get work done. Only until Shaq or Austin drop a few early buckets would a team even consider going zone, especially knowing that even guarded man-man Memphis will heave threes.

Why? Because "we really are a good shooting team" and "shots just need to fall."

I guess.

RE: It's all about defense - TigerBo - 02-04-2014 12:31 PM

(02-04-2014 11:23 AM)tiger2000 Wrote:  

Yup. Timmy Mac.

The best is when they would have nickel beer night - draft beer for a nickel (this was in the 90s). We'd get one of those mcdonald's style drink holders and take 4 draft beers back to the stands.

The beer guy thought it was for each of us and our 3 other buddies, but we'd knock down 4 draft beers each. It was hotter than hell and the beer was bad but it was a lot of fun.

I spent many 2-bit-beer-nights at McCarver Stadium in my youth... If only they would do that now!

RE: It's all about defense - salukiblue - 02-04-2014 12:47 PM

(02-04-2014 12:31 PM)TigerBo Wrote:  
(02-04-2014 11:23 AM)tiger2000 Wrote:  

Yup. Timmy Mac.

I spent many 2-bit-beer-nights at McCarver Stadium in my youth... If only they would do that now!

I think the Redbirds are really missing out on that aspect. Sure, a minor league baseball game isn't likely the place for peope to go to get f'd up, but dowtown has A LOT of young, single and sociable people who look for things to do, with drinking often as an accessory to whatever event is taking place.

If the Bird marketed a "downtown drink night" and offered cheaper prices on drinks, you get casual folks who normally wouldn't come in.

On a side note the $9 beers at FEF are a JOKE. Do they think we live in LA?