CSNbbs
Un-Ranked - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Un-Ranked (/thread-675027.html)

Pages: 1 2

Un-Ranked - tigers1985 - 02-01-2014 04:06 PM

We are what we are. Not good enough.

Un-Ranked - holysheetman - 02-01-2014 04:07 PM

Was fun while it lasted! Now we are getting scrubbed.

RE: Un-Ranked - Tigerlabel - 02-01-2014 04:13 PM

(02-01-2014 04:06 PM)tigers1985 Wrote:  We are what we are. Not good enough.

Well deserved

RE: Un-Ranked - bphenderson - 02-01-2014 04:15 PM

There is no way the players take Josh seriously - if they did they wouldn't perform like this this often. I get the whole be positive thing but you can't constantly reward bad behavior

Un-Ranked - Tampa Bay Tiger - 02-01-2014 04:15 PM

The same things are said every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Un-Ranked - TigerTimmy - 02-01-2014 04:16 PM

We won't be ranked in CBS 25 + 1 again.

RE: Un-Ranked - bphenderson - 02-01-2014 04:17 PM

(02-01-2014 04:15 PM)Tampa Bay Tiger Wrote:  The same things are said every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's because the same things are/will be true as long as this guy is our coach

RE: Un-Ranked - EvilLore - 02-01-2014 04:18 PM

I'm more disappointed that we won't be ranked for our ESPN Gameday showdown against Gonzaga.

That should have been a big-time national game between two ranked opponents.

RE: Un-Ranked - tigers1985 - 02-01-2014 04:19 PM

(02-01-2014 04:18 PM)EvilLore Wrote:  I'm more disappointed that we won't be ranked for our ESPN Gameday showdown against Gonzaga.

At least we get a chance for the upset. 03-puke

RE: Un-Ranked - TigerTimmy - 02-01-2014 04:20 PM

If we beat Gonzaga we will be ranked again.

RE: Un-Ranked - EvilLore - 02-01-2014 04:23 PM

(02-01-2014 04:19 PM)tigers1985 Wrote:  At least we get a chance for the upset. 03-puke

Sad, but true.

Honestly, if we manage to lose to Gonzaga on our home floor (which I don't think will happen), I think I'll finally be open to the idea of a change. Today's curb-stomping was more disappointing to me than even the Oklahoma State loss.

RE: Un-Ranked - ddramone - 02-01-2014 04:26 PM

(02-01-2014 04:18 PM)EvilLore Wrote:  I'm more disappointed that we won't be ranked for our ESPN Gameday showdown against Gonzaga.

Our program SHOULD be 'big time'. It really should. Local talent, great facilities, lots of $$$, great support. Instead, we poke around the edges of the top-25 and then when we play a 'big time' opponent, it's usually (as in 2-15) a loss for the Tigers. Cal made us big time and we WON big time games with some regularity (although not until Cal's 5th year). It was fun watching us (a) be in big time games and (b) WIN them. SMU is a very solid team and it goes without saying that Larry Brown is a great coach. But still, it would be fun to stay in the top-25 for an entire season....for a change.

Hopefully we will be in the Sweet Sixteen THIS year, if not, things do not look so good for next year when we lose our 4 guards. Asking for a Sweet 16 once every other year is NOT an unreasonable demand given what we pay, our facilities, our support, our local talent. Instead, it looks like we might get to a Sweet Sixteen once every 6-7 years and that is NOT a Big time program.

RE: Un-Ranked - tigers1985 - 02-01-2014 04:35 PM

(02-01-2014 04:26 PM)ddramone Wrote:  

Our program SHOULD be 'big time'. It really should. Local talent, great facilities, lots of $$$, great support. Instead, we poke around the edges of the top-25 and then when we play a 'big time' opponent, it's usually (as in 2-15) a loss for the Tigers. Cal made us big time and we WON big time games with some regularity (although not until Cal's 5th year). It was fun watching us (a) be in big time games and (b) WIN them. SMU is a very solid team and it goes without saying that Larry Brown is a great coach. But still, it would be fun to stay in the top-25 for an entire season....for a change.

Hopefully we will be in the Sweet Sixteen THIS year, if not, things do not look so good for next year when we lose our 4 guards. Asking for a Sweet 16 once every other year is NOT an unreasonable demand given what we pay, our facilities, our support, our local talent. Instead, it looks like we might get to a Sweet Sixteen once every 6-7 years and that is NOT a Big time program.

We're 11-deep with top 100 players... and a good half of those are top 50. By the books, we are one of the top 5 talented teams in the country. It should be coming together by now. The first 10 minutes of the second half, it was like we were Division 2. I honestly don't know how we can lose it so completely for so long.

RE: Un-Ranked - Tygrys - 02-01-2014 04:38 PM

Marginal top 25 team with top 10 talent...

RE: Un-Ranked - memphisike - 02-01-2014 04:47 PM

BTW from the looks of next yrs. class that talent is falling way off. Think there is a reason?

RE: Un-Ranked - ddramone - 02-01-2014 04:49 PM

(02-01-2014 04:35 PM)tigers1985 Wrote:  

We're 11-deep with top 100 players... and a good half of those are top 50. By the books, we are one of the top 5 talented teams in the country. It should be coming together by now. The first 10 minutes of the second half, it was like we were Division 2. I honestly don't know how we can lose it so completely for so long.

I think that's why it is so frustrating to be a Tiger BB fan. We KNOW we are underachieving. I could understand CJP's first 2-3 years and at least he has shown some year-by-year improvement. I honestly thought THIS was the year that we were big time. Instead, it just looks like more of the same (a) high pre-season ranking based upon the 'books' (as in top 100 players) and (b) losing to good schools that are solid, but not big time and © the occasional blow out. The ONLY difference is this year we've actually beaten some top-25 teams and have some quality wins (Ok.State/Louisville).

I give CJP a chance to get us into the Sweet Sixteen THIS year. If not, he's gonna have to show us something special next year or it may be time to look elsewhere.

We are in a conference with UConn/UC/SMU (who is quite solid with Larry Brown) and Temple (bad this year, but tons of local talent so they can be good/bad depending on the year). We pay BIG TIME $$$, we have big time facilities and big time support and big time local talent. There are simply no more excuses.

RE: Un-Ranked - tigerderek - 02-01-2014 05:07 PM

(02-01-2014 04:49 PM)ddramone Wrote:  

I think that's why it is so frustrating to be a Tiger BB fan. We KNOW we are underachieving. I could understand CJP's first 2-3 years and at least he has shown some year-by-year improvement. I honestly thought THIS was the year that we were big time. Instead, it just looks like more of the same (a) high pre-season ranking based upon the 'books' (as in top 100 players) and (b) losing to good schools that are solid, but not big time and © the occasional blow out. The ONLY difference is this year we've actually beaten some top-25 teams and have some quality wins (Ok.State/Louisville).

I give CJP a chance to get us into the Sweet Sixteen THIS year. If not, he's gonna have to show us something special next year or it may be time to look elsewhere.

We are in a conference with UConn/UC/SMU (who is quite solid with Larry Brown) and Temple (bad this year, but tons of local talent so they can be good/bad depending on the year). We pay BIG TIME $$$, we have big time facilities and big time support and big time local talent. There are simply no more excuses.

We may not make the tourney next year.

RE: Un-Ranked - presskh - 02-01-2014 06:33 PM

(02-01-2014 04:23 PM)EvilLore Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 04:19 PM)tigers1985 Wrote:  At least we get a chance for the upset. 03-puke

Sad, but true.

Honestly, if we manage to lose to Gonzaga on our home floor (which I don't think will happen), I think I'll finally be open to the idea of a change. Today's curb-stomping was more disappointing to me than even the Oklahoma State loss.

Agree about today's curb-stomping We beat this team twice last year and are a much better team. Even if it was a close loss, I would have been ok, since SMU is a much-improved team - no way we should have been blown out the way we were. I'm not open for a coaching change just yet but Pastner better get a handle on our play. We seem to only beat teams where we have a great talent advantage - we fall flat when we face a well-coached team with remotely similar talent.

RE: Un-Ranked - fathergoose714 - 02-01-2014 07:29 PM

Well coached being the point

RE: Un-Ranked - ddramone - 02-01-2014 07:34 PM

(02-01-2014 05:07 PM)tigerderek Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 04:49 PM)ddramone Wrote:  

We may not make the tourney next year.

If we don't make the tourney next year => time for a coaching change.