CSNbbs
OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice (/thread-674304.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - amber34 - 01-28-2014 07:12 PM

(01-28-2014 03:06 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  I'd say Rice is FAR FAR better in areas other than science than Cal Tech and MIT, so to be included in their ranks for that one discipline is still an accomplishment, even if one thinks they are superior.

I don't think that's fair with respect to MIT. Not sure whether you include engineering in science, but obviously that's another point in MIT's column, and MIT's social sciences are definitely superior to those at Rice.

Even humanities I think are probably comparable--e.g. according to USNews (FWIW), Rice has the superior English program, but MIT the better history one.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - ChicagoOwl (BS '07) - 01-28-2014 07:31 PM

(01-28-2014 07:12 PM)amber34 Wrote:  
(01-28-2014 03:06 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  I'd say Rice is FAR FAR better in areas other than science than Cal Tech and MIT, so to be included in their ranks for that one discipline is still an accomplishment, even if one thinks they are superior.

I don't think that's fair with respect to MIT. Not sure whether you include engineering in science, but obviously that's another point in MIT's column, and MIT's social sciences are definitely superior to those at Rice.

Even humanities I think are probably comparable--e.g. according to USNews (FWIW), Rice has the superior English program, but MIT the better history one.

Hambone must've been talking about football. 04-cheers

OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - Hambone10 - 01-28-2014 07:37 PM

Well, I DID say "I'd say" which means I don't have to have any particular evidence to support my claim. I'm unfamiliar with their programs in music or architecture as examples... And IMO, rice's best feature is that we are very good in virtually everything we do, particularly for a school our size. Except perhaps a few sports, though we're still superior to MIT in those.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - Bay Area Owl - 01-28-2014 07:39 PM

MIT has great graduate programs, but I think Rice offers more for the undergraduate student. Rice's graduate programs are rather small and depend heavily on the individual professor, but it's fair to say that an undergraduate gets more personal attention at a place like Rice or Caltech than an enormous research institution like MIT. MIT faculty want to work with all their graduate students and probably regard undergrad education as a burden.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - waltgreenberg - 01-28-2014 08:13 PM

I question whether MIT's social sciences are superior to Rice's. Yes, they've got a reknown Econ department, but truth be told (and I did go to MIT's Sloan School of Management), almost all the notable professors (and Nobel winners) do not teach at the undergraduate level. I think Rice is superior in Sociology, Anthropology, Poly Sci and Religion....and I don't believe MIT even offers a Sports Management carriculum, a field Rice has built to national prominence. I'll give MIT the edge in Psychology and Econ, but I think for undergraduates, Rice has more to offer Econ majors. (Note, for full disclosure-- I admit being somewhat biased as I am on the Advisory Board for the School of Social Sciences; however, as a Sloan grad, I do have some knowledge about-- and loyalty-- toward MIT.)

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - Barrett - 01-29-2014 10:48 AM

Even as a Rice alum who obviously has biases toward his alma mater, I think it's pretty clear that MIT is generally a more elite institution than Rice. Using the US News rankings as a guide (and let's leave out the consternation about the flaws of the rankings for a moment), MIT consistently is ranked in the top 5-7 universities in the country, one of the top universities in the world, and its individual disciplines in engineering, business, and the sciences are usually ranked in the top-10 . . . often times number 1.

Rice simply can't claim that. Rice is ranked #18 (tied with Notre Dame, behind Vanderbilt), and its individual departments in the sciences and engineering are generally ranked in the 20s and 30s.

Even in disciplines like history and political science, Rice is ranked 30 and 32, respectively. MIT's numbers are 27 and 8, respectively. Yes, Rice has certain disciplines ranked where MIT doesn't, but MIT can say the converse many times over.

Even in the "best value" ranking, MIT beats Rice--5 vs. 14.

Here is the tale of the tape:

MIT's rankings

Rice's rankings

I know we can say, "Well Rice is better than MIT or Harvard or Yale or Stanford or Cal Tech because our undergraduate teaching is better." Maybe that's true, but I don't know how to measure that. We say it because we assume it without any hard evidence. We assume that those other schools rely on more graduate student TAs than Rice does. Maybe that's true, but I've never seen the numbers. And even if we just assume that as fact, how do we know that a brilliant TA, earning his PhD at MIT or Harvard, is inherently inferior to an older professor at Rice? My guess is that, by in large, the teaching at those other schools is pretty damn good, given the quality of minds they are churning out each year. Perhaps those minds came into those other schools already brilliant, but surely that has got to count toward the educational environment for students as well?

I love Rice as much as the next alumnus. But for what it's worth (perhaps not much), if a high school kid tells me he just got into MIT, I'm more impressed than if he tells me he got into Rice. Same with Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Cal Tech. And what that CBS show reflects is that the rest of the world views it the same way I do (assuming they've even heard of Rice at all).

I think if Rice had MIT's or Stanford's or Harvard's rankings numbers, their impossibly low acceptance rates, their endowments, or their prominent and accomplished alumni, this Board would be shouting it from the rooftops. In short, I think it's okay to acknowledge the superiority/desirability of other schools, so long as they're the right schools. And it doesn't make me love Rice or my time there any less.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - loki_the_bubba - 01-29-2014 05:00 PM

Reminds me of this:

[When the Simpsons are in jail]
Lisa: Thanks a lot, everybody. Now, I'll never get into an Ivy League school.
Bart: [taunting] You're going to Stanford, you're going to Stanford ...
Homer and Bart [taunting]: You're going to Stanford!
Lisa: Take it back! Take it back!
Homer: Stanford.
Marge: This family has hit rock bottom.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - 07owl - 01-29-2014 05:05 PM

(01-29-2014 05:00 PM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  Reminds me of this:

[When the Simpsons are in jail]
Lisa: Thanks a lot, everybody. Now, I'll never get into an Ivy League school.
Bart: [taunting] You're going to Stanford, you're going to Stanford ...
Homer and Bart [taunting]: You're going to Stanford!
Lisa: Take it back! Take it back!
Homer: Stanford.
Marge: This family has hit rock bottom.

They did a similar bit with Brown

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - 75src - 01-30-2014 01:44 AM

We do not have an aeronautical engineering department unlike some larger schools.

It is an honor to be included in that group mentioned. for the top level of schools what needs to be thought about is what would be the best school for the student involved-department of major, whether Rice's college system would make a difference, having D1 sports etc.

(01-27-2014 10:37 PM)NolaOwl Wrote:  This evening I was watching the new CBS show "Intelligence" - kind of a dramatic version of "Chuck. In the episode, the cyberhero and his team are attempting to locate a Syrian engineer with aeronautical background. The lead scientist suggests that she might be located by reviewing where she went to school - such as Cal Tech, MIT, or maybe even Rice. His son asks with incredulity "Rice?" to which the Dad replies "Don't be a snob, son." I guess we need to check to see if any of the script writers are from MIT, which was identified as her school.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - owlsfan - 01-30-2014 01:18 PM

I am late to this discussion, but I could see the writers taking a swipe at a diploma mill or a school that harbors a large contingent of athletes who cannot read (hello, UNC), but why take a swipe at a school that by all accounts excels on the academic side, and does it right, on the athletic side? It would like calling Tyson Gay as slow-poke because he cannot touch Usain Bolt or his fellow countryman, in the 100 meters. F*** this writer and his petty mind.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - JSA - 01-30-2014 01:51 PM

(01-30-2014 01:18 PM)owlsfan Wrote:  I am late to this discussion, but I could see the writers taking a swipe at a diploma mill or a school that harbors a large contingent of athletes who cannot read (hello, UNC), but why take a swipe at a school that by all accounts excels on the academic side, and does it right, on the athletic side? It would like calling Tyson Gay as slow-poke because he cannot touch Usain Bolt or his fellow countryman, in the 100 meters. F*** this writer and his petty mind.

I've never seen the show, and I don't want to sit thru the commercials to see the clip.

But to me, it seems the scene was poking fun at people who are so snobbish they don't consider Rice an elite school. Poking fun at a diploma mill wouldn't have been funny.

Besides, if we can make fun of people who get their salsa from New York City...

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - 13thOwl - 01-30-2014 05:58 PM

(01-30-2014 01:51 PM)JSA Wrote:  
(01-30-2014 01:18 PM)owlsfan Wrote:  I am late to this discussion, but I could see the writers taking a swipe at a diploma mill or a school that harbors a large contingent of athletes who cannot read (hello, UNC), but why take a swipe at a school that by all accounts excels on the academic side, and does it right, on the athletic side? It would like calling Tyson Gay as slow-poke because he cannot touch Usain Bolt or his fellow countryman, in the 100 meters. F*** this writer and his petty mind.

I've never seen the show, and I don't want to sit thru the commercials to see the clip.

But to me, it seems the scene was poking fun at people who are so snobbish they don't consider Rice an elite school. Poking fun at a diploma mill wouldn't have been funny.

Besides, if we can make fun of people who get their salsa from New York City...

Salsa from New York City!

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - I45owl - 01-30-2014 09:52 PM

(01-30-2014 01:44 AM)75src Wrote:  We do not have an aeronautical engineering department unlike some larger schools.

It is an honor to be included in that group mentioned. for the top level of schools what needs to be thought about is what would be the best school for the student involved-department of major, whether Rice's college system would make a difference, having D1 sports etc.

I had the same thought... it occurred to me that TAMU was the nearest one that did have a decent program. That said, I could see the proximity to JSC and association with it making Rice a reasonable choice. FWIW, I think the MechE program does cover the same kind of topics as aeronautical engineering without having a separate department.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - 75src - 01-31-2014 01:57 PM

They would not want to poke fun at the University of Phoenix or other for-profits because they could lose a future advertiser.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - mrbig - 01-31-2014 03:54 PM

Or it is an inside joke because one of the writers (or friend or family) went to Rice. Or was rejected by Rice and got into MIT & CalTech. Who knows, lots of reasons to include Rice in a silly 1-line joke.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - WestGrayStreetOwl - 01-31-2014 04:06 PM

(01-31-2014 03:54 PM)mrbig Wrote:  Or it is an inside joke because one of the writers (or friend or family) went to Rice. Or was rejected by Rice and got into MIT & CalTech. Who knows, lots of reasons to include Rice in a silly 1-line joke.

That was my thought. Your typical elitist coastal snob wouldn't have thought to mention Rice. They would have gone after Carnegie-Mellon or Harvey Mudd or whatever.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - Barrett - 01-31-2014 04:14 PM

Or how about this for a conspiracy theory:

The Thresher published a negative review of the show just the week before. And the comments to the review called the show "crap." All this happened within a week of the negative mention of Rice. (Of course, one would assume that the episode was filmed more than a week prior to its airing. But who knows.

Thresher Review of Intelligence

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - Ranger - 02-01-2014 04:19 PM

(01-27-2014 10:37 PM)NolaOwl Wrote:  This evening I was watching the new CBS show "Intelligence" - kind of a dramatic version of "Chuck. In the episode, the cyberhero and his team are attempting to locate a Syrian engineer with aeronautical background. The lead scientist suggests that she might be located by reviewing where she went to school - such as Cal Tech, MIT, or maybe even Rice. His son asks with incredulity "Rice?" to which the Dad replies "Don't be a snob, son." I guess we need to check to see if any of the script writers are from MIT, which was identified as her school.

I saw the episode, too. I thought he said it, not with incredulity, but disparagingly, not quite but almost a sneer. I too was ticked off.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - THRILL - 02-01-2014 10:17 PM

People,, this is CBS,,,, Same network that has forced two and half men on the American viewing public and its a top ranked show.

The CBS viewership represents the lowest common denominator.