CSNbbs
OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice (/thread-674304.html)

Pages: 1 2

OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - NolaOwl - 01-27-2014 10:37 PM

This evening I was watching the new CBS show "Intelligence" - kind of a dramatic version of "Chuck. In the episode, the cyberhero and his team are attempting to locate a Syrian engineer with aeronautical background. The lead scientist suggests that she might be located by reviewing where she went to school - such as Cal Tech, MIT, or maybe even Rice. His son asks with incredulity "Rice?" to which the Dad replies "Don't be a snob, son." I guess we need to check to see if any of the script writers are from MIT, which was identified as her school.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - dragon2owl - 01-27-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:PJ Byrne ‏@PJ_Byrne 18m
Sorry #RICE...they made me say it!! I love #Rice!! so does ##IntelligenceCBS

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - THRILL - 01-27-2014 11:04 PM

Those BASTARDS

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - OwlMom15 - 01-28-2014 01:00 PM

(01-27-2014 11:04 PM)THRILL Wrote:  Those BASTARDS

LOL Thrill ....you are too crazy!!

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - 07owl - 01-28-2014 01:09 PM

Well, I'll never watch whatever that show is AGAIN

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - Seventyniner - 01-28-2014 01:26 PM

The line implies that Rice is a notch below Caltech and MIT, but to be in the conversation is at least a small compliment. If they wanted drastic contrast they could do much worse.

Re: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - DexterDevil - 01-28-2014 01:30 PM

Was it not feeding into what school is that? Wouldn't consider it a shot at the academics.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - Almadenmike - 01-28-2014 01:43 PM

Maybe it was the way he said it that was perceived as disparaging? The dialogue in NOLA's OP sounded complementary to me, since the lead scientist put Rice in the intellectual company of MIT & Caltech (as it should be).

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - Almadenmike - 01-28-2014 02:22 PM

The video's online here: http://www.cbs.com/shows/intelligence/video/ (Season 1, Episode 4)

The Rice reference is at about 21:30-21:40 ... after a couple of 5-packs of commercials. It didn't sound that bad to me. I'm glad the script writers thought it would be appropriate and clever to include Rice among MIT, Caltech and ETH.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - NolaOwl - 01-28-2014 02:43 PM

(01-28-2014 02:22 PM)Almadenmike Wrote:  The video's online here: http://www.cbs.com/shows/intelligence/video/ (Season 1, Episode 4)

The Rice reference is at about 21:30-21:40 ... after a couple of 5-packs of commercials. It didn't sound that bad to me. I'm glad the script writers thought it would be appropriate and clever to include Rice among MIT, Caltech and ETH.

Mike, I think the Father's response about not being a snob was suggesting that the son was questioning Rice's inclusion with the other schools. At least, that is the way I took it and the tweeted apology seems to confirm it. Hey, it's all tongue-in-cheek and getting mentioned on a network show is unusual.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - Hambone10 - 01-28-2014 03:06 PM

I'd say Rice is FAR FAR better in areas other than science than Cal Tech and MIT, so to be included in their ranks for that one discipline is still an accomplishment, even if one thinks they are superior.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - Antarius - 01-28-2014 03:09 PM

Cue indignant response by Hymie Wiess (and co) about lack of UH's inclusion

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - Barrett - 01-28-2014 03:51 PM

Yes, the older character includes Rice in a group that includes MIT, Stanford, and Caltech. The younger character scoffs at the mention of Rice in this group ("Pffft! Rice?!"), to which the dad responds, "Don't be a snob, son."

One can take comfort in Rice being mentioned in this group, but one can also rightfully feel indignant that the proposition is thrown out there that Rice has no business being mentioned in that group.

I think, all in all, it's a net dig at Rice. That's because, out of pure bias and self-interest, I feel Rice rightfully belongs in that group.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - ColOwl - 01-28-2014 04:13 PM

Given that they were talking about a fictional Syrian and not a non-fictional Iranian named Kazemi, I'll go with the PR man's old adage that "any publicity is good publicity!"

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - WestGrayStreetOwl - 01-28-2014 04:14 PM

My first thought is that that line was written by a Rice graduate who's used to hearing things like that all the time.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - Converted Rice - 01-28-2014 05:20 PM

(01-28-2014 04:14 PM)WestGrayStreetOwl Wrote:  My first thought is that that line was written by a Rice graduate who's used to hearing things like that all the time.

Hey, it could be worse. When someone from Baylor makes it into a show they usually have the mindset of someone from Westboro Baptist.

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - georgewebb - 01-28-2014 05:53 PM

(01-28-2014 03:51 PM)Barrett Wrote:  Yes, the older character includes Rice in a group that includes MIT, Stanford, and Caltech. The younger character scoffs at the mention of Rice in this group ("Pffft! Rice?!"), to which the dad responds, "Don't be a snob, son."

One can take comfort in Rice being mentioned in this group, but one can also rightfully feel indignant that the proposition is thrown out there that Rice has no business being mentioned in that group.

I think, all in all, it's a net dig at Rice. That's because, out of pure bias and self-interest, I feel Rice rightfully belongs in that group.

For Pete's sake, the dig is not at Rice; it is at elitists who overlook schools like Rice. How can you not see that?

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - I45owl - 01-28-2014 06:00 PM

What offended me more is that the field of study was so ridiculous. But, I found the whole scene kind of grating...

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - Tomball Owl - 01-28-2014 06:24 PM

(01-28-2014 03:51 PM)Barrett Wrote:  Yes, the older character includes Rice in a group that includes MIT, Stanford, and Caltech. The younger character scoffs at the mention of Rice in this group ("Pffft! Rice?!"), to which the dad responds, "Don't be a snob, son."

I agree with Dad!

RE: OT - CBS Show "Intelligence" Makes Disparaging Comment About Rice - RiceDoc - 01-28-2014 07:04 PM

(01-28-2014 01:00 PM)OwlMom15 Wrote:  
(01-27-2014 11:04 PM)THRILL Wrote:  Those BASTARDS

LOL Thrill ....you are too crazy!!

And this is news to you? 05-stirthepot