CSNbbs
THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Sports Bar (/forum-531.html)
+---- Thread: THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS (/thread-672802.html)

Pages: 1 2

THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - EPJr - 01-17-2014 09:37 PM

NCAA poised to create separate voting bloc for
SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Pac-12, Big 12

[Image: logo.jpg]

SAN DIEGO – The big leagues appear poised to get their way and their own voting bloc within the NCAA.

Polling of the roughly 800 administrators at the NCAA convention's dialog on governance revealed solid support for an autonomous voting body for the five most powerful conferences – the SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12. Fifty-eight percent of those administrators – from all levels of NCAA membership – were in support of autonomy for the power conferences; 30 percent were opposed; 12 percent were neutral.

To NCAA president Mark Emmert, that's a significant change in outlook.

"It makes sense for the five big revenue conferences to have their own voice," Emmert told Yahoo Sports Friday. "A year ago that would have been a very difficult conversation. Now [member schools] are saying, 'Yeah, that makes sense.' … People have just become more comfortable with the ideas and concepts of it.' "

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-poised-to-create-separate-division-for-sec--big-ten--acc--pac-12--big-12-212725211.html

RE: THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - PirateTreasureNC - 01-17-2014 10:15 PM

D4 is coming and you better position yourselves accordingly.

RE: THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - EPJr - 08-07-2014 06:14 PM

NCAA board hands 5 biggest conferences more power
[Image: 11740cd3dc50f6f242518fe716d2ac11.jpg]

INDIANAPOLIS | The NCAA Board of Directors overwhelmingly approved a package of historic reforms Thursday that will give the nation's five biggest conferences the ability to unilaterally change some of the basic rules governing college sports.

If the 16-2 decision stands, there will be striking differences between the 65 largest schools and the more than 280 others in Division I beginning as early as Oct. 1, though few expect change to come that quickly.

Representatives from the five richest leagues — the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC — will hold nearly twice as much voting power (37.5 percent) as any other group on a newly created council, where most legislation will be approved or rejected. The five other Football Bowl Subdivision leagues would account for 18.5 percent while the second-tier Football Championship Subdivision and non-football playing schools would split up another 37.5 percent of the vote. Athletes and faculty will account for the rest.

Commissioners and school leaders from the power conferences have until Oct. 1 to create a wish list of issues they want to handle on their own.

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20140807/NEWS/140809749/1015?Title=NCAA-board-hands-5-biggest-conferences-more-power

RE: THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - DrTorch - 08-08-2014 07:41 AM

I called this in the late 90s. Not too far off on the timing either.

RE: THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - BlazerJoe - 08-08-2014 09:06 AM

The "Power 5" may as well call themselves Division 1, the rest of what used to be Division 1-A should be...well...Division 1-A, and change that ridiculous FCS moniker back to Division 1-AA.

RE: THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - bitcruncher - 08-08-2014 10:58 AM

I've been saying this was coming since the formation of the CFA. It was the logical conclusion.

RE: THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - niuco90 - 08-08-2014 01:07 PM

I can't help but have the feeling this will end up like NASCAR. People getting tired of seeing the same stuff every week and having to spend more and more money to see it. Then when the networks have to add more commercials to make it financially viable to broadcast and the games then take over 4 hours to complete people will vote with their pocket books and move on to something else.

We have an expression at work that a greedy man is a poor man and I just think that while this might all make sense to the powers that be, they may find that having sold their soul for another million or two of incremental revenue may end up costing them much more. I think the power 5 might need the non AQ's more than they think they do.

THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - UofMTigerTim - 08-08-2014 02:09 PM

I think a lot of people are going to invest more money, time and emotion into pro sports because of this. I know I am.

RE: THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - DrTorch - 08-08-2014 02:56 PM

(08-08-2014 01:07 PM)niuco90 Wrote:  I can't help but have the feeling this will end up like NASCAR. People getting tired of seeing the same stuff every week and having to spend more and more money to see it. Then when the networks have to add more commercials to make it financially viable to broadcast and the games then take over 4 hours to complete people will vote with their pocket books and move on to something else.

We have an expression at work that a greedy man is a poor man and I just think that while this might all make sense to the powers that be, they may find that having sold their soul for another million or two of incremental revenue may end up costing them much more. I think the power 5 might need the non AQ's more than they think they do.

I tend to agree.

RE: THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - bitcruncher - 08-08-2014 03:19 PM

If all fans of schools outside the power conferences think the same way, those schools might as well deemphasize sports immediately, and avoid the rush.

RE: THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - DrTorch - 08-08-2014 04:01 PM

(08-08-2014 03:19 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  If all fans of schools outside the power conferences think the same way, those schools might as well deemphasize sports immediately, and avoid the rush.

Yeah, whatever. I'm sure NCAA riflery will get stellar ratings.

RE: THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - bitcruncher - 08-08-2014 04:19 PM

(08-08-2014 04:01 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(08-08-2014 03:19 PM)b itcruncher Wrote:  If all fans of schools outside the power conferences think the same way, those schools might as well deemphasize sports immediately, and avoid the rush.
Probably as high as the ratings for Bowling Green football. They both have about the same kind of public interest.

Pitt athletic director Tom Hamilton raged against the evils of television in the 1950s. He was certain it was going to ruin the financial viability of the sport. It turns out he was wrong.

How many others have assumptions that will turn out to be just as ludicrous about this? I'll bet the number is larger than you think.

RE: THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - nomad2u2001 - 08-10-2014 09:01 AM

It's either going to pay off big in the long run or not. In the meantime, all my conference can do is try to keep up.

RE: THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - DrTorch - 08-10-2014 02:29 PM

(08-08-2014 04:19 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(08-08-2014 03:19 PM)b itcruncher Wrote:  If all fans of schools outside the power conferences think the same way, those schools might as well deemphasize sports immediately, and avoid the rush.
Probably as high as the ratings for Bowling Green football. They both have about the same kind of public interest.

Wow, that was a wicked smaht comeback.

RE: THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - toddjnsn - 08-10-2014 03:45 PM

I'm not a fan of major changes -- like the Power 5 teams playing only themselves. It has it's pros, but I think the cons are worse.

PROS:
- Tougher scheduling overall; even moreso appealing due to bigger name teams
- Better comparison of one P5 conference vs another; will provide a better view of which one's better vs another
- More TV views due to a greater fan base overall (for the 2-3 non-conf games that are now D1AA or mid-major for most teams)

CONS:
- You're cutting D1 football in half -- putting mid-majors in a whole other division
- No "underdog" games. Unless you mean Indiana upsetting Tennessee or something. Ehhh. Fans DO want to see mid-majors pull upsets.
- Fans also want to see mid-majors test their team without wearing them out.
- Less inspiration due to no mid-majors for fans + less teams in "real" D1 football
- Would push the P5 conferences to exand even more. You really want 16 teams in each P5 conference at the end of the day? Really? I don't want to see the B10 have 2 divisions of 8 teams going for 1st place. It becomes a league within a league. That will only feul the teams at the bottom of the conference's divisions to be Even Worse than good mid-majors over time.
- It will also take a punch out of mid-major football, too. Less fans, less TV -- less spirit about them knowing that they're not "real D1".
- LESS in-state college football games!
- It's more wanted because coaches would rather lose to a horrible Purdue team than a better 8-4 Bowling Green. It helps avoid potential embarrassment. Pretty sad that's a motivator.

In the end, here's my proposed rules and stopping there:
(1) P5 teams cannot schedule D1AA teams unless:
- Said D1AA team made it to playoffs 2 out of the last 3 years AND made it to the Final Four playoff once in the last 3 years, while ALSO being at least 8+ wins the previous year
- Said P5 team has not had a combined winning record over the last 3 years.

(2) P5 teams cannot schedule mid-majors unless:
- Said mid-major has a combined winning record over the last 3 years OR the previous year

(3) Mid-major teams cannot schedule D1AA teams unless:
- Said D1AA team has a winning record Each Year, over the past 3 years.

This would end up still making P5 teams play other P5 teams for a lot of their non-conf games -- but force them to also play Good mid-majors instead of BAD D1AA teams -- which would bring more excitement. IMO, this is a good balance.

RE: THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - bitcruncher - 08-11-2014 09:30 PM

The number of schools Division 1 should be cut down. There are way too many is it is now. I'd further stipulate that a school should play all of its sports at the highest level to qualify for the highest division.
(08-10-2014 02:29 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(08-08-2014 03:19 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  If all fans of schools outside the power conferences think the same way, those schools might as well deemphasize sports immediately, and avoid the rush.
Wow, that was a wicked smaht comeback.
My comment was at a higher intellectual level than your comment about NCAA rifle, which was totally irrelevant to the subject at hand. At least my comment was on topic.

So yes, it was wicked smaht. 07-coffee3

RE: THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - PirateTreasureNC - 08-11-2014 09:54 PM

Pitt athletic director Tom Hamilton raged against the evils of television in the 1950s. He was certain it was going to ruin the financial viability of the sport. It turns out he was wrong.

How many others have assumptions that will turn out to be just as ludicrous about this? I'll bet the number is larger than you think.

Actually, considering tv deals are helping the P5 afford this autonomy while lower conferences are getting less than table scraps it ruining the finances of college sports in some regards... maybe not viability but in other ways... Actually, I take that back to a certain degree.... if you don't get mega tv deals you can't afford the arms race to stay viable as a competitor.

RE: THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - bitcruncher - 08-12-2014 08:18 AM

Most of the schools of the original CFA are the ones now in the power conferences, and they are the ones with the mega TV deals, as PTNC so blithely put it. In time, some schools will elevate themselves, and some may descend. But the process will be much more difficult, which is what the larger schools want. Division 1 is too large.

Division 1 needs a redefinition IMO. Any school that wants to be Division 1 should play all the major sports at the highest level. If they aren't able to commit to that, they shouldn't be in Division 1 in any sport.

RE: THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - BlazerJoe - 08-12-2014 09:38 AM

Here's what I think it should be:

Division 1 should be the "power" conferences, Division 1A should be the mid-majors, and Division 1AA should be what it is currently.

RE: THE POWER FIVE SCHOOLS - NIU007 - 08-14-2014 11:21 AM

(08-12-2014 08:18 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Most of the schools of the original CFA are the ones now in the power conferences, and they are the ones with the mega TV deals, as PTNC so blithely put it. In time, some schools will elevate themselves, and some may descend. But the process will be much more difficult, which is what the larger schools want. Division 1 is too large.

Division 1 needs a redefinition IMO. Any school that wants to be Division 1 should play all the major sports at the highest level. If they aren't able to commit to that, they shouldn't be in Division 1 in any sport.

What do you consider to be major sports?