CSNbbs
New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? (/thread-672044.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - TexanMark - 01-13-2014 03:15 PM

Too much smoke to discount. Even the New SU Chancellor commented on the Dome coming to the end without a lot of renovation. Not sure it will happen but look at it being 40k+ seats with a retractable roof.

The Carrier Corp paid a one time lifetime naming fee of $2.75M for the Dome. The new facility should get that annually if not more.

The location is about 1/2 mile north of campus.

Matt Mulcahy ‏@MattMulcahy6m
Chancellor Syverud says Dome is reaching end of useful life. Extensive renovation is one approach-will consider being tenant in new arena.

Matt Mulcahy ‏@MattMulcahy14m
New Syracuse Chancellor says he has been briefed on early plans for off campus arena.But, much too soon to choose it over Dome renovation.

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index.ssf/2014/01/five_questions_about_a_potenti.html#incart_m-rpt-2

h/t: http://www.syracusefan.com

RE: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - brista21 - 01-13-2014 03:52 PM

I'd be shocked if you guys don't end up in a new facility. The Carrier Dome approach where football, basketball and LAX are all under one roof has worked very well for Syracuse. A new retractable roof "dome" would be great. Open air for good weather football and lacrosse games.

RE: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - lumberpack4 - 01-13-2014 03:55 PM

Hope you install AC in the new dome.

RE: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - TexanMark - 01-13-2014 04:04 PM

(01-13-2014 03:55 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  Hope you install AC in the new dome.

Without a doubt...it'll be interesting if 44,444 becomes the actual capacity. Going slightly smaller might not be that bad of an idea.

RE: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - NJ2MDTerp - 01-13-2014 04:47 PM

I'm not sure what the weather is like in late fall (late summer, early fall must be beautiful) in Syracuse, but I think the school should build an outdoor football stadium and keep the Dome for basketball and other sports.

RE: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - Niner National - 01-13-2014 05:04 PM

So does the current dome not have AC?

If so that is pretty hilarious considering it is named after one of the creators of the first commercial air conditioning system and the oldest heating and air brand in the world.

RE: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - Kaplony - 01-13-2014 05:15 PM

(01-13-2014 05:04 PM)Niner National Wrote:  

Nope. All the proof you need is to go back to any Clemson football forum from mid Sept to early Oct and see how much the Syracuse fans played that fact up. About how a team from South Carolina would wilt in the heat of the dome when they locked the doors.

In the end it was just as over-hyped as how loud the dome was and how distracting it would be, especially on 3rd down when we had to deal with the always feared keys rattling.

RE: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - OrangeCrush22 - 01-13-2014 05:17 PM

(01-13-2014 05:04 PM)Niner National Wrote:  

If so that is pretty hilarious considering it is named after one of the creators of the first commercial air conditioning system and the oldest heating and air brand in the world.

No, there's no AC in the Carrier Dome. It's generally not needed during Fall and Winter, when it's being used the most, so it wasn't really necessary.

(01-13-2014 04:04 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  

Without a doubt...it'll be interesting if 44,444 becomes the actual capacity. Going slightly smaller might not be that bad of an idea.

44,444 would be perfect. Keeps ticket demand high. We can put more than that in the seats, but recently it hasn't happened often. It will happen at least once next season with Florida State coming to town.

48,961 - 2013 (Clemson)
45,265 - 2011 (West Virginia)
48,617 - 2009 (Minnesota)
45,745 - 2008 (Penn State)
45,418 - 2005 (West Virginia)

RE: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - OrangeCrush22 - 01-13-2014 05:35 PM

(01-13-2014 05:15 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  Nope. All the proof you need is to go back to any Clemson football forum from mid Sept to early Oct and see how much the Syracuse fans played that fact up. About how a team from South Carolina would wilt in the heat of the dome when they locked the doors.

In the end it was just as over-hyped as how loud the dome was and how distracting it would be, especially on 3rd down when we had to deal with the always feared keys rattling.

Just let it go. You don't see Syracuse fans mouthing off months later abut the actions of Clemson fans leading up to the game. Though, you probably think your actions were justified, since our players answered question asked of them before the game, in ways you didn't like.

RE: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - QuestionSocratic - 01-13-2014 05:58 PM

F@#k, there goes my tax money again.

We couldn't get a dome funded for the Bills, but Syracuse can have a dome? Are you f@#ken kidding me?

RE: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - RecoveringHillbilly - 01-13-2014 08:05 PM

(01-13-2014 05:58 PM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  F@#k, there goes my tax money again.

We couldn't get a dome funded for the Bills, but Syracuse can have a dome? Are you f@#ken kidding me?

Pretty much sounds like the retractable roof dome proposed for the Buffalo waterfront which went nowhere, even though it was supposedly to be privately funded. In both cases only a few groups were behind it, with other key players not hearing a thing about it. Not least of which being the groups who hold the prospective land, the NFTA in Buffalo's case, and Upstate Med in Syracuse.

RE: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - Kaplony - 01-13-2014 08:23 PM

(01-13-2014 05:35 PM)OrangeCrush22 Wrote:  
(01-13-2014 05:15 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  Nope. All the proof you need is to go back to any Clemson football forum from mid Sept to early Oct and see how much the Syracuse fans played that fact up. About how a team from South Carolina would wilt in the heat of the dome when they locked the doors.

Just let it go. You don't see Syracuse fans mouthing off months later abut the actions of Clemson fans leading up to the game. Though, you probably think your actions were justified, since our players answered question asked of them before the game, in ways you didn't like.

Probably because it would have been stupid to talk crap about it when it came true.

The Clemson posters told y'all the temperature of the dome wouldn't be a factor and it wasn't.

The Clemson posters told y'all that the noise in the dome wouldn't be a factor and it wasn't. Well, unless you want to claim it forced us to score our first TD on the 3rd play from scrimmage rather than the first or second.

The Clemson posters told y'all that we were going to come up there and welcome you to the ACC with a beatdown and that's exactly what we did.

It wasn't like we were the ones talking about locking y'all inside the dome and not letting you out, and how something we did to a totally different team in year's past was an indication of what was going to happen in 2013, or what happened in a bowl game 18 years and two coaching staffs ago was a preview of what awaited you like you clowns did to us.

RE: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - cuseroc - 01-13-2014 08:51 PM

(01-13-2014 08:23 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

Probably because it would have been stupid to talk crap about it when it came true.

The Clemson posters told y'all the temperature of the dome wouldn't be a factor and it wasn't.

The Clemson posters told y'all that the noise in the dome wouldn't be a factor and it wasn't. Well, unless you want to claim it forced us to score our first TD on the 3rd play from scrimmage rather than the first or second.

The Clemson posters told y'all that we were going to come up there and welcome you to the ACC with a beatdown and that's exactly what we did.

It wasn't like we were the ones talking about locking y'all inside the dome and not letting you out, and how something we did to a totally different team in year's past was an indication of what was going to happen in 2013, or what happened in a bowl game 18 years and two coaching staffs ago was a preview of what awaited you like you clowns did to us.

You weren't saying anything before the game. You only started crowing after the game.

RE: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - TexanMark - 01-13-2014 09:06 PM

(01-13-2014 05:58 PM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  F@#k, there goes my tax money again.

Syracuse actually wins.

RE: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - TexanMark - 01-13-2014 09:11 PM

(01-13-2014 08:23 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

Ok...early in the week before the game the temp was expected to be close to 80 with sun...that became 68 and rain. The Heat never happened. I've been there when it has been unbearable in the early season. It really is a factor in September...I hope you guys come up in early September in '15 with a heat wave.

The noise factor died when Clemson jumped out to a huge lead. Congrats you shut up our bandwagon fans.

Is it really that friggin hard to understand you guys dodged two bullets...but whatever you're too provincial for any real conversation.

RE: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - goofus - 01-13-2014 09:27 PM

Strange that more mid-level northern teams don't propose a 40k dome. They seem to work well.

NIU would be an ideal candidate for a 40k retractable room stadium. Northwestern too.

RE: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - TexanMark - 01-13-2014 11:47 PM

(01-13-2014 09:27 PM)goofus Wrote:  Strange that more mid-level northern teams don't propose a 40k dome. They seem to work well.

NIU would be an ideal candidate for a 40k retractable room stadium. Northwestern too.

How many 40k seat retractable dome stadiums are there to figure out they work well? All I care about right now is there is a conversation to replace the Dome. I think it is still usable for 5-10 more years before replacement or renovation.

RE: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - orangefan - 01-14-2014 08:36 AM

(01-13-2014 11:47 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(01-13-2014 09:27 PM)goofus Wrote:  Strange that more mid-level northern teams don't propose a 40k dome. They seem to work well.

How many 40k seat retractable dome stadiums are there to figure out they work well? All I care about right now is there is a conversation to replace the Dome. I think it is still usable for 5-10 more years before replacement or renovation.

In terms of physical condition, the dome is probably good indefinitely. It's just a big hunk of concrete that requires periodic maintenance, e.g., roof and field replacement. The problem is economics, specifically the lack of premium seats. A "modern" sports facility needs to have one or more club levels, a larger number of luxury boxes, stadium seats (not benches), and other amenities in order to maximize revenues. However, this obviously costs money, while maintaining an existing facility that is fully paid for is pretty cheap. Tough to turn it into a net positive without pounding the fans for lots more money (look at the ticket prices jumps that the Yankees, Giants and Jets dumped on their fans in order to build their new stadiums). Renovation would be preferred but is architecturally challenging.

RE: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - WNCOrange - 01-14-2014 09:45 AM

(01-13-2014 09:11 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Ok...early in the week before the game the temp was expected to be close to 80 with sun...that became 68 and rain. The Heat never happened. I've been there when it has been unbearable in the early season. It really is a factor in September...I hope you guys come up in early September in '15 with a heat wave.

As some one who grew up in NY and has lived the past 25 years in the Carolinas I can tell you what northerners consider unbearable is a breezy day to people from South Carolina.

South Carolina in the summer time can be absolutely awful. Nothing in the dome can compare, imo.

RE: New Dome Coming to Syracuse? - TexanMark - 01-14-2014 10:37 AM

(01-14-2014 09:45 AM)WNCOrange Wrote:  
(01-13-2014 09:11 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Ok...early in the week before the game the temp was expected to be close to 80 with sun...that became 68 and rain. The Heat never happened. I've been there when it has been unbearable in the early season. It really is a factor in September...I hope you guys come up in early September in '15 with a heat wave.

As some one who grew up in NY and has lived the past 25 years in the Carolinas I can tell you what northerners consider unbearable is a breezy day to people from South Carolina.

South Carolina in the summer time can be absolutely awful. Nothing in the dome can compare, imo.

Hmm I've lived in South Texas for a total of 16 years...trust me I've been there when it has been unbearably humid in the 3rd deck..yeah you sit through it but are sweating your arse off. The only good thing is you don't have the sun beating down on you but it compares to being in a hot, stuffy box where it is hard to breathe.