CSNbbs
CUSA NonConference FB Scheduling: ODU and Va Tech sign 7 game agreements - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: CUSA NonConference FB Scheduling: ODU and Va Tech sign 7 game agreements (/thread-668652.html)

CUSA NonConference FB Scheduling: ODU and Va Tech sign 7 game agreements - Tallgrass - 12-22-2013 02:55 PM

An initial 2-1 game agreement has been followed up with a 2-2 game agreement, for a total 7 game agreement with 3 games @ODU and 4 games @VaTech. This series makes a lot of sense. Easy to drive to and, undoubtedly, boosting the demand for tickets.

Nonconference scheduling is important to the rebuilding CUSA as it establishes its new identity. Certainly, the 7 game ODU/Va Tech series goes a long way in this effort. This 7 game series puts ODU and CUSA on center stage.

Most important of all, existing and future nonconference scheduling will be vitally important in the soon upcoming CUSA tv negotiations. My guess is all 7 games will be televised.

ODU/VA TECH 7 GAMES

"I think it makes perfect sense to play an in-state school that's up and coming," said John Ballein, Virginia Tech's associate director for football operations. "We recruit the area. It's an opportunity for our fans in that are to see us there and the opportunity for ODU fans to see the other side of the state."

RE: CUSA NonConference FB Scheduling: ODU and Va Tech sign 7 game agreements - 4x4hokies - 12-22-2013 05:57 PM

This is old news. Why bring it up now?

RE: CUSA NonConference FB Scheduling: ODU and Va Tech sign 7 game agreements - stever20 - 12-22-2013 05:57 PM

because Trollgrass is in full troll mode

RE: CUSA NonConference FB Scheduling: ODU and Va Tech sign 7 game agreements - Tallgrass - 12-22-2013 06:11 PM

(12-22-2013 05:57 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  This is old news. Why bring it up now?

The New Orleans Bowl made a strong point, in fact, about 63,000 points. Competition between local rivalries has the potential of a huge payoff.....and that is achieved thru cooperation and coordination. It is a point yet to be realized by many on this board.

Tulane finished fourth in CUSA/West....and yet played before 63,000 in the NO Bowl, and the attendance was mostly Louisiana Cajun fans. If I were Tulane, I would put ULL on my schedule annually and play it in the SuperDome annually....and repeat that 63,000 attendance each year. That is the reason I brought it up now and probably will continually in the future....the point of cooperation and coordination.

It is a win/win situation. And, for both SBC and AAC, a Tulane/ULL game with 60,000 will help in all future tv contract negotiations. Tell me, how many games has AAC had with 60,000+ home attendance this year?

And if I were Tulane, I would get Southern Miss back on the schedule on a regular basis too....to boost home attendance.

RE: CUSA NonConference FB Scheduling: ODU and Va Tech sign 7 game agreements - Kittonhead - 12-23-2013 12:17 AM

ODU's new 30,000 seat stadium has something to do with it...

07-coffee3

RE: CUSA NonConference FB Scheduling: ODU and Va Tech sign 7 game agreements - chiefsfan - 12-23-2013 12:24 AM

Why would Tulane voluntarily play a home game where the visiting team has more fans than the home team? And lets be real here...attendance does not sell television. Name teams do. VTU/ODU will have more eyeballs because VTU is a national name. No one outside of Louisiana really cares about a regular season game between ULL and Tulane.

Attendance looks good on television to recruits, who see a full stadium and want to play there. Its not going to cause ESPN to want to put them on TV more often.

CUSA NonConference FB Scheduling: ODU and Va Tech sign 7 game agreements - HyperDuke - 12-23-2013 12:49 AM

Really? VTU? It's VPI&SU.

RE: CUSA NonConference FB Scheduling: ODU and Va Tech sign 7 game agreements - BruceMcF - 12-23-2013 02:40 AM

(12-23-2013 12:49 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Really? VTU? It's VPI&SU.
VTU? Common enough confusion, I guess, but Vermont Technical is a College, not a University, so that'd be VTC. What it has to do with Va Tech playing ODU is a bit obscure, to be sure ... does ODU perhaps recruit New England juco BBall players?

RE: CUSA NonConference FB Scheduling: ODU and Va Tech sign 7 game agreements - ChrisLords - 12-23-2013 04:07 AM

(12-22-2013 02:55 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  An initial 2-1 game agreement has been followed up with a 2-2 game agreement, for a total 7 game agreement with 3 games @ODU and 4 games @VaTech. This series makes a lot of sense. Easy to drive to and, undoubtedly, boosting the demand for tickets.

Nonconference scheduling is important to the rebuilding CUSA as it establishes its new identity. Certainly, the 7 game ODU/Va Tech series goes a long way in this effort. This 7 game series puts ODU and CUSA on center stage.

Most important of all, existing and future nonconference scheduling will be vitally important in the soon upcoming CUSA tv negotiations. My guess is all 7 games will be televised.

ODU/VA TECH 7 GAMES

"I think it makes perfect sense to play an in-state school that's up and coming," said John Ballein, Virginia Tech's associate director for football operations. "We recruit the area. It's an opportunity for our fans in that are to see us there and the opportunity for ODU fans to see the other side of the state."

I remember all the fus Terry Holland went through to get ODU in CUSA. Little did he know it would cost ECU it's series with VT.

I'm going to miss ECU. I doubt ODU fans ever show up in the numbers that ECU did. I appreciate the donation ECU athletics made to VT after the Massacre and the some what cathartic first game after the Massacre vs. ECU. It was a good series.

Luckily ECU has no trouble getting WVU or the other North Carolina state schools to play them.

RE: CUSA NonConference FB Scheduling: ODU and Va Tech sign 7 game agreements - blunderbuss - 12-23-2013 01:21 PM

Where does it say anything about dropping the series with ECU to play ODU? ECU and VT has a home / home series though 2020 I believe.

RE: CUSA NonConference FB Scheduling: ODU and Va Tech sign 7 game agreements - Tallgrass - 12-23-2013 02:02 PM

(12-23-2013 01:21 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Where does it say anything about dropping the series with ECU to play ODU? ECU and VT has a home / home series though 2020 I believe.

FBSchedules.com confirms on both the ECU site and VaTech site that the series continues to 2020 and nothing has been cancelled. The ODU/VaTech series, however, continues beyond 2020 and that leads one to think that, yes, ODU has replaced ECU after 2020.

In the Nbe/AAC expansion, teams were invited to CUSA and now have a strong broad platform for their football programs within CUSA. VaTech picking up ODU and dropping ECU is a consequence of the realignment process. For ECU, the other source of competition coming from CUSA is Charlotte, who now also will enjoy the enhanced conference platform of CUSA.

RE: CUSA NonConference FB Scheduling: ODU and Va Tech sign 7 game agreements - FloridaJag - 12-23-2013 03:25 PM

(12-22-2013 06:11 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  
(12-22-2013 05:57 PM)4x4hokies Wrote:  This is old news. Why bring it up now?

The New Orleans Bowl made a strong point, in fact, about 63,000 points. Competition between local rivalries has the potential of a huge payoff.....and that is achieved thru cooperation and coordination. It is a point yet to be realized by many on this board.

Tulane finished fourth in CUSA/West....and yet played before 63,000 in the NO Bowl, and the attendance was mostly Louisiana Cajun fans. If I were Tulane, I would put ULL on my schedule annually and play it in the SuperDome annually....and repeat that 63,000 attendance each year. That is the reason I brought it up now and probably will continually in the future....the point of cooperation and coordination.

It is a win/win situation. And, for both SBC and AAC, a Tulane/ULL game with 60,000 will help in all future tv contract negotiations. Tell me, how many games has AAC had with 60,000+ home attendance this year?

And if I were Tulane, I would get Southern Miss back on the schedule on a regular basis too....to boost home attendance.

+1 Show me the money 04-cheers

RE: CUSA NonConference FB Scheduling: ODU and Va Tech sign 7 game agreements - ChrisLords - 12-25-2013 11:38 PM

(12-23-2013 01:21 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Where does it say anything about dropping the series with ECU to play ODU? ECU and VT has a home / home series though 2020 I believe.

I'll see if I can find the quote.

Sorry I couldn't find the quote but is was from John Ballein our Associate Director of Athletics for Football Operations, who got his master's in education from Old Dominion University in 1987.

He signed a 2 for 1 from ODU and then decided a long term series of 1 for 1's with ODU was a good idea. There was something in the article about it replacing the ECU series but it could have been the writers conjecture.