CSNbbs
MWC Bowl Selection Process Summary - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: MWC Bowl Selection Process Summary (/thread-666269.html)

MWC Bowl Selection Process Summary - Tallgrass - 12-08-2013 10:54 AM

Looks like MWC needs to straighten out its bowl selection process....something like I think (?) BE had with Notre Dame. That is, a limitation of selecting teams with much lower conference rankings because the selected team is attractive for TV by ESPN.

Not stated in the linked article is that SDSU won't travel to the far away four MWC bowls spots left open....so tv goes for the most attractive tv matchup. This is why I find CUSA's bowl setup appealing, CUSA has a nice balance geographically of east and west bowls which should help avoid the situation faced by MWC.

I also wonder if MWC officials are doing "payback" time to SDSU for its AAC fling?

CONFERENCE BOWL SELECTION PROCESS

MWC Bowl Selection Process Summary - chargeradio - 12-08-2013 12:14 PM

The rule about 7-5 teams getting preference over a 6-6 team needs to come back. Hopefully they can find a slot, but Rutgers winning last night kept the American from shorting another bowl. The Sun Belt also has the same problem with too many eligible teams.

RE: MWC Bowl Selection Process Summary - johnbragg - 12-08-2013 12:16 PM

(12-08-2013 10:54 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  Looks like MWC needs to straighten out its bowl selection process....something like I think (?) BE had with Notre Dame. That is, a limitation of selecting teams with much lower conference rankings because the selected team is attractive for TV by ESPN.

The article criticizes the MWC for not having a set order of selection, saying that the big-boy leagues all have one. That won't be true anymore, though, with the ACC, SEC and Big Ten having "bowl tiers", plus most (all?) of the G-5 leagues.

RE: MWC Bowl Selection Process Summary - Attackcoog - 12-08-2013 12:58 PM

(12-08-2013 12:16 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(12-08-2013 10:54 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  Looks like MWC needs to straighten out its bowl selection process....something like I think (?) BE had with Notre Dame. That is, a limitation of selecting teams with much lower conference rankings because the selected team is attractive for TV by ESPN.

The article criticizes the MWC for not having a set order of selection, saying that the big-boy leagues all have one. That won't be true anymore, though, with the ACC, SEC and Big Ten having "bowl tiers", plus most (all?) of the G-5 leagues.

The MW chose not to do that in order to maintain flexibility. They want the opportunity to shop their teams around to better vacant bowls. If they put in a Pac-12 style restriction on their bowls (must be within one win of the proper "slot") then that will effectively take away much of the leagues ability to shop its better teams. The only locked position in the MW line up right now is Vegas which gets the #1 pick.