CSNbbs
Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday (/thread-665291.html)

Pages: 1 2

Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - Ricefootballnet - 12-03-2013 11:45 PM

After reading some of the garbage and vitriol spat out on not only Marshall message boards but also bloggers, newspaper columnists, etc., have to figure that if, say 800 Marshall fans manage to make to the game, probably 90 per cent will be perfectly fine and well behaved, but ten percent will be out and out looking for trouble. Seriously think it could get nasty, both outside and inside the stadium. The school ought to consider having extra security on hand. No telling what we are dealing with here....am serious about this....

RE: Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - Caelligh - 12-04-2013 12:00 AM

I don't think they are Aggies. 03-wink

Seriously, I don't see the need for it. I've seen a lot of very reasonable Marshall fans posting here and on the conference board. They seem like a good bunch overall. I suspect that a trip to WV would have been a pleasant one with respect to interactions with local fans.

Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - ARandomHerdFan - 12-04-2013 12:03 AM

I will agree with everyone that some members of our online fanbase have gone bananas over the whole BCS thing and won't shut up about attendance, but nowhere has there been any indication that our fans would retaliate against Rice for something that the conference decided. Most of the vitriol is directed towards Conference USA and the decision-making process.

If you read some quotes from our opponents, both home and away, you'll find glowing reviews about how our fans acted towards the opposing school.

If there was any talk of damaging property or making things physical with Rice fans, I would love for you to point them out to me so that I can bring it to everyone's attention.

RE: Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - owlatheart - 12-04-2013 12:07 AM

(12-03-2013 11:45 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  After reading some of the garbage and vitriol spat out on not only Marshall message boards but also bloggers, newspaper columnists, etc., have to figure that if, say 800 Marshall fans manage to make to the game, probably 90 per cent will be perfectly fine and well behaved, but ten percent will be out and out looking for trouble. Seriously think it could get nasty, both outside and inside the stadium. The school ought to consider having extra security on hand. No telling what we are dealing with here....am serious about this....

Pretty sure its already been taken care of. Not a cheap shot towards Marshall.

RE: Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - Middle Ages - 12-04-2013 12:49 AM

(12-03-2013 11:45 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  After reading some of the garbage and vitriol spat out on not only Marshall message boards but also bloggers, newspaper columnists, etc., have to figure that if, say 800 Marshall fans manage to make to the game, probably 90 per cent will be perfectly fine and well behaved, but ten percent will be out and out looking for trouble. Seriously think it could get nasty, both outside and inside the stadium. The school ought to consider having extra security on hand. No telling what we are dealing with here....am serious about this....

Unless you know of some specific threat, then this post is uncalled for. I know a lot of Marshall fans are angry they didn't get to host and they have been venting all of the internet, but I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe it is anything other than that- venting. Unless you take their one poster literally when he says they are 'gonna stomp a mud hole in your ass and walk it dry'. Hilarious saying that I have never heard BTW, but I am pretty sure not meant literally.

You'd have to be a pretty determined troublemaker to travel 17 hours looking for a fight. I'd be shocked if 99-100% of the Marshall fans aren't totally well behaved and nice.

We've hosted UH for years- this will be a piece of cake compared to that 03-wink (I like to kid my UH brothers)

Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - I45owl - 12-04-2013 05:54 AM

I think the bigger risk is that they are now so unhappy with CUSA that they collect a $N million campaign to buy out of CUSA and move back to the MAC if they don't have a better option. Sort of inconsequential to us in the long run if they were to do that, but it would be yet another step towards the Sunbelt Ii.

RE: Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - owl40 - 12-04-2013 08:54 AM

I don't know I would go as far as worry about anyone's personal safety but there is truth that a fringe of Marshall fans have stepped over-the-line on their own boards, Twitter, and FB.

I am not worried about safety but as I posted on the Marshall board, I do worry about a small % of people defining the Marshall brand negatively at the expense of the well-behaved, passionate about their team majority. If anything, I would expect the majority to be on their best behavior on Saturday trying to repair the brand damage done by a few knuckleheads.

I have had people two-steps removed from the message board world and unlikely to even watch the game asking why Marshall fans come across as entitled, arrogant, whiners, and conspiracy theorists b/c of what they have seen in social media. Social media has created much more negative brand downside than any C-USA downside from someone seeing empty seats at HRS. The game gets a .5 rating (last years C-USA championship match-up) on ESPN2. Hardly the BCS championship or Superbowl. To put it in context, our Armed Forces Bowl got a 2.3 rating or literally millions more people watching that than will see this game on TV on Saturday.

RE: Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - MUsince96 - 12-04-2013 09:00 AM

You call the police over people parking in front of your house don't you?

RE: Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - RiceLad15 - 12-04-2013 09:05 AM

(12-04-2013 09:00 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  You call the police over people parking in front of your house don't you?

You have no idea how many people actually do that in the neighborhood that surrounds Rice...

RE: Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - I45owl - 12-04-2013 09:17 AM

RFN ... if security is really a concern, post signs along University, Greenbriar, and Rice Boulevard directing all attendees of the CUSA championship game to "go to entrance (take the sum of 7, 6, and 23, then divide by 4)" or "go to entrance: compute the mean of 1, 2, 2, 3, 7, 8, 11, 23, 45, 58".

That ought to buy at least three hours for any fans that would be problems, and would much cheaper than hiring extra officers.

RE: Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - Mademen - 12-04-2013 09:58 AM

Violence at Rice Stadium??? Ha now I've heard it all.

RE: Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - texd - 12-04-2013 10:39 AM

(12-04-2013 09:58 AM)Mademen Wrote:  Violence at Rice Stadium??? Ha now I've heard it all.

Well, they did compare themselves to Aggies.

(Though I certainly wouldn't worry about this. Rice always seems to have more than enough security and I don't anticipate this game to be any different than any other game on that front).

RE: Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - I45owl - 12-04-2013 10:49 AM

(12-04-2013 09:58 AM)Mademen Wrote:  Violence at Rice Stadium??? Ha now I've heard it all.

You have no idea how dicey that tie incident at Valhalla was or how quickly that could have escalated out of control. No idea.

RE: Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - MarketingOwl - 12-04-2013 10:53 AM

(12-04-2013 10:39 AM)texd Wrote:  

(Though I certainly wouldn't worry about this. Rice always seems to have more than enough security and I don't anticipate this game to be any different than any other game on that front).

When I was in Oklahoma last week, I was sitting at the bar watching the Rice game. An older gentleman across the bar noticed I was a wearing Rice gear, and figured out I had gone to Rice. He then proceeded to tell me a story how the biggest butt whooping he ever received in his life was outside of Rice Stadium during an A&M game, because he was provoking Rice fans.

Made me proud to be an Owl.

RE: Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - OptimisticOwl - 12-04-2013 11:59 AM

(12-04-2013 10:53 AM)MarketingOwl Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 10:39 AM)texd Wrote:  

When I was in Oklahoma last week, I was sitting at the bar watching the Rice game. An older gentleman across the bar noticed I was a wearing Rice gear, and figured out I had gone to Rice. He then proceeded to tell me a story how the biggest butt whooping he ever received in his life was outside of Rice Stadium during an A&M game, because he was provoking Rice fans.

Made me proud to be an Owl.

My freshman year, 1963, there was a near-riot at the Aggie game. Both teams' fans had formed lines that converged at the tunnel, and somebody thought it would be fun to snatch an Aggie's hat and make off with it. A melee erupted, with many smaller fistfights. To the Ag's credit, it stopped when the Aggie band played the National
Anthem and they all stood at attention.

RE: Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - Ricefootballnet - 12-04-2013 12:22 PM

I dunno, yes, I guess this does seem a bit of an overreaction, but somehow it seems these folks, while typically cordial and friendly, can be just a bit 'different' when the cat is out of the bag, like the Aggies at times can be. Perhaps not.

This morning's article by the Huntington newspaper commentator was sure Class D bush league, though.

RE: Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - Volente Beach Owl - 12-04-2013 01:46 PM

I spent a fair amount of time in the Huntington region on business, and can say that the people are pretty darn normal there. Don't go to Matewan though.

RE: Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - Swede Owl - 12-04-2013 01:56 PM

Bring your protractors, Owls...you never know when there will be trouble....

RE: Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - KingNayte - 12-04-2013 02:47 PM

(12-04-2013 12:22 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  I dunno, yes, I guess this does seem a bit of an overreaction, but somehow it seems these folks, while typically cordial and friendly, can be just a bit 'different' when the cat is out of the bag, like the Aggies at times can be. Perhaps not.

This morning's article by the Huntington newspaper commentator was sure Class D bush league, though.

The one about "the game should be in Huntington?" I don't think it was anything ridiculous. They draw better than us and like their team, and he was telling people to calm down about the selection process. That doesn't seem muck-raking or violence-inducing to me.

RE: Seriously, should err on safe side and have extra security on hand Saturday - texd - 12-04-2013 02:59 PM

(12-04-2013 02:47 PM)KingNayte Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 12:22 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  I dunno, yes, I guess this does seem a bit of an overreaction, but somehow it seems these folks, while typically cordial and friendly, can be just a bit 'different' when the cat is out of the bag, like the Aggies at times can be. Perhaps not.

The one about "the game should be in Huntington?" I don't think it was anything ridiculous. They draw better than us and like their team, and he was telling people to calm down about the selection process. That doesn't seem muck-raking or violence-inducing to me.

I agree it certainly wasn't violence inducing. But "Since C-USA receives all the ticket revenue, why wouldn't it want to reap the benefits of 30,000 fans in Edwards Stadium rather than 2,000 at Rice?" C'mon. (Unless he means only 2,000 Herd fans at Rice, which his context clearly indicates he does not.) Also "mostly empty venue." Here, Herd crowds are not that much larger than Rice's, so is he saying it should never be played at Rice because the stadium will almost always be mostly empty?

As far as the official visits to Huntington and the lining up of donors for student tickets, what is wrong with planning ahead for future contingencies. That never means the game is necessarily going to be played there. Hell, when the visits occurred, Marshall wasn't even in the championship game yet.