CSNbbs
Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis (/thread-663262.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - HuskieWXman - 11-24-2013 10:28 PM

Safe to say, "He mad."

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/jerry-palm/24274460/bcs-projections-battle-for-no-3-is-over

Every week, I get asked the same question. "Did anything in the BCS ratings this week surprise you?" And my answer is always the same, "No. It's kind of my job not to be surprised." This week, that changed. Something very surprising and not terribly understandable happened. Northern Illinois got a huge boost in the computers, one large enough to move them past Fresno State in the overall BCS ratings, at least for now.

I had no idea beating an ordinary team like Toledo could have such an impact, especially with only a couple teams ahead of NIU losing. In the overall computer average, which throws out the high and low for each team, the Huskies moved up five spots. They passed Baylor and Oregon, which lost. They passed Clemson and South Carolina, which played lower division teams. And finally, they passed Stanford, who beat Cal, which isn't much better than some lower division teams.

BCS RATINGS
Auburn, Missouri move into top five
Oklahoma State had been right on the Huskies' tail in the computers last week, but beating Baylor wasn't enough to go by them.

What is even more remarkable is what happened in some of the individual computers. Anderson-Hester doesn't count for NIU because it is the low rating, but the Huskies moved up 11 spots in those rankings, and their strength of schedule ranking in that system improved to 95th from 121st. Remember, it played Toledo, which ranks 56th in that system, and the Huskies' previous opponents had a pedestrian 4-4 week. Winning teams that NIU passed in A-H include UCF, Wisconsin, which beat a ranked team, Fresno State, USC, Oklahoma, and Michigan State.

The Huskies also moved up eight spots in Wolfe and Massey, both of which do count. They have been third in Sagarin ever since he introduced his new and "improved" formula (twice) a month ago.

That's very dramatic movement for such an ordinary addition to the data for NIU.

We'll have to see how well that holds though. Next week, the Huskies play their fifth opponent that has one or fewer FBS wins when they take on Western Michigan. If playing Toledo can have them, um, rocketing up the rankings, you'd think the Broncos might throw them off. Of course, rankings are relative and it will depend on how other teams do also.

I still believe that if the voters stay on board with Fresno State, the computer gap will close to the point where the Bulldogs eventually go back past NIU.

Ohio State no longer needs to watch its back. The Buckeyes are in the clear now because Oklahoma State routed Baylor, dropping the Bears out of contention for the No. 3 spot in the BCS ratings.

Lining up behind them is a close race for the top-rated one loss team. Auburn leads Missouri, but obviously, no more than one of those teams can finish with one loss. Clemson is right behind overall, but ahead of both in the polls. I have to believe that poll lead would disappear if one of those SEC teams won the league.

Let's be clear about one thing though...Ohio State will hold off a one loss SEC champion, and anyone else for that matter. "But what if Auburn wins big?" "But what if Ohio State struggles?" "But what if...."

Stop. There's no "what if?" There's no situation. There's no margin. There's nothing that will cause Ohio State to get jumped if it keeps winning.

Baylor fell five spots to No. 9, while Oregon dropped out of the top 10, landing just ahead of Northern Illinois at 13th. Neither are likely BCS teams at this point.

Arizona State, who beat UCLA to clinch the Pac-12 South, and LSU, which beat Texas A&M, were the biggest upward movers this week. Both climbed five spots in the rankings.

RE: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - MaddDawgz02 - 11-24-2013 10:33 PM

Even Jerry is pleading for voters to stay on course. As much as I hate him, he is right, Fresno will beat out NIU if NIU doesn't make up huge human ground which now with this boost ahead of Fresno, is even more unlikely since we will see any angry retaliation from voters next week.

RE: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - NIUAlum90 - 11-24-2013 10:35 PM

Why they hating on us?

RE: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - GjlNIU - 11-24-2013 10:37 PM

(11-24-2013 10:33 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Even Jerry is pleading for voters to stay on course. As much as I hate him, he is right, Fresno will beat out NIU if NIU doesn't make up huge human ground which now with this boost ahead of Fresno, is even more unlikely since we will see any angry retaliation from voters next week.

How many times are you going to mention angry voter retaliation in one night? Lets just enjoy our team and see what happens! Don't give yourself a stroke buddy!

RE: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - HuskieJWN - 11-24-2013 10:40 PM

He's probably mad that he's awful at his job and was wrong.

RE: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - MaddDawgz02 - 11-24-2013 10:44 PM

(11-24-2013 10:37 PM)GjlNIU Wrote:  
(11-24-2013 10:33 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Even Jerry is pleading for voters to stay on course. As much as I hate him, he is right, Fresno will beat out NIU if NIU doesn't make up huge human ground which now with this boost ahead of Fresno, is even more unlikely since we will see any angry retaliation from voters next week.

How many times are you going to mention angry voter retaliation in one night? Lets just enjoy our team and see what happens! Don't give yourself a stroke buddy!

Grrr sorry this BCS has made me a little mad, time to stop thinking about it for a few days you are right.

RE: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - GjlNIU - 11-24-2013 10:45 PM

(11-24-2013 10:44 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  

Grrr sorry this BCS has made me a little mad, time to stop thinking about it for a few days you are right.

It is frustrating for sure. Almost makes me happy we aren't a BCS program who has to deal with this junk year in and year out!

RE: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - NIUHuskie - 11-24-2013 10:46 PM

He believes if you say it enough, it will be true. Or at least that he will convince everyone that it's true.

MD...if the teams between NIU and Fresno in the human polls lose, we WILL move closer to them. That's how the human polls work.

RE: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - HuskiemobileMan - 11-24-2013 10:48 PM

I hope pollsters watched the show tonight. Maybe the "love" from ESPN saying that we were better than Fresno will help sway their rankings.

RE: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - randyfensfanclub1 - 11-24-2013 10:48 PM

Do you ever stop? What happened to "NIU will NEVER pass Fresno" like 2 weeks ago?

Just keep spewing nonsense and "opinion". You DON'T know so don't act like you know.
YOU DON'T.

RE: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - NIU007 - 11-24-2013 10:48 PM

(11-24-2013 10:40 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  He's probably mad that he's awful at his job and was wrong.

Yep.

RE: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - HuskieJWN - 11-24-2013 10:50 PM

(11-24-2013 10:48 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(11-24-2013 10:40 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  He's probably mad that he's awful at his job and was wrong.

Yep.

I mean, he is consistently wrong.

If I projected tax amounts wrong and messed up tax legislation as much as he projects wrongly I would be canned and certainly not considered an expert.

RE: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - Yoda - 11-24-2013 10:52 PM

(11-24-2013 10:33 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Even Jerry is pleading for voters to stay on course.

I don't think he's pleading with anybody to stay on board with Fresno -- just expressing the opinion that, if they do, we will come out on top.

You've got to admit that there are some strange things with these computer results -- or maybe you don't. Not so much the passing of Fresno but the passing of some of the other teams that you passed. Do you folks believe that you should be ranked higher than Baylor, Oregon, Clemson, South Carolina and Stanford? Does it make sense to you that Sagarin has you #3? It sure wouldn't to me, if Fresno had your rankings. I'm not saying that you (or we) couldn't beat some of those teams but I'd be stunned if we were rated higher before we did.

Yoda out...

RE: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - randyfensfanclub1 - 11-24-2013 10:55 PM

Yep.

In the little MWC video the guy interviewing him said that Palm had them a BCS bowl team from day one, and nothing changed.He is their cheerleader in a sense and won't give up. He's very defensive.

and BTW, this may explain it....

Who are you (you biased SOB!)?
Brief Bio: My name is Jerry Palm. I'm a 1985 graduate of Purdue University, where I majored in Computer Science. I'm having a bad hair life.
As for my biases, obviously I'm a Purdue fan. I had season basketball tickets for 18 years

PURDUE...LOL Maybe a little upset from NIU whippin' their ass. Wonder how his ranking treated that. 03-lmfao

And he's from Rich Central. Myabe some NIU friends give him crap too!! LOL

RE: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - HuskieJWN - 11-24-2013 10:58 PM

(11-24-2013 10:55 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  

Yep.

In the little MWC video the guy interviewing him said that Palm had them a BCS bowl team from day one, and nothing changed.He is their cheerleader in a sense and won't give up. He's very defensive.

and BTW, this may explain it....

Who are you (you biased SOB!)?
Brief Bio: My name is Jerry Palm. I'm a 1985 graduate of Purdue University, where I majored in Computer Science. I'm having a bad hair life.
As for my biases, obviously I'm a Purdue fan. I had season basketball tickets for 18 years

PURDUE...LOL Maybe a little upset from NIU whippin' their ass. Wonder how his ranking treated that. 03-lmfao

And he's from Rich Central. Myabe some NIU friends give him crap too!! LOL

I'm glad he admitted he has bad hair, it's freaking awful. Looks like a Bieber wanna be. But he was wrong last year and I can't say I'm banking on him being wrong, but I hope he is.

I also think its great NIU whooped his alma maters ass.

RE: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - NIU007 - 11-24-2013 11:07 PM

(11-24-2013 10:52 PM)Yoda Wrote:  
(11-24-2013 10:33 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Even Jerry is pleading for voters to stay on course.

I don't think he's pleading with anybody to stay on board with Fresno -- just expressing the opinion that, if they do, we will come out on top.

You've got to admit that there are some strange things with these computer results -- or maybe you don't. Not so much the passing of Fresno but the passing of some of the other teams that you passed. Do you folks believe that you should be ranked higher than Baylor, Oregon, Clemson, South Carolina and Stanford? Does it make sense to you that Sagarin has you #3? It sure wouldn't to me, if Fresno had your rankings. I'm not saying that you (or we) couldn't beat some of those teams but I'd be stunned if we were rated higher before we did.

Yoda out...

Putting us at #3 is really strange, yes. This whole BCS thing seems very arbitrary to me, both human votes and computer rankings.

RE: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - toddjnsn - 11-24-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:You've got to admit that there are some strange things with these computer results -- or maybe you don't. Not so much the passing of Fresno but the passing of some of the other teams that you passed. Do you folks believe that you should be ranked higher than Baylor, Oregon, Clemson, South Carolina and Stanford? Does it make sense to you that Sagarin has you #3? It sure wouldn't to me, if it was Fresno had your rankings. I'm not saying that you (or we) couldn't beat some of those teams but I'd be stunned if we were rated higher before we did.

In general, YES, I agree with you. The NIU computer ranking at #7 (on average) is too high. It should Rightfully be solidly higher than Fresno's, but yes, too high!! But you know what's JUST as weird? Fresno being SO much higher in human voting ranking than NIU. That's a WTF. At best, a notch higher than NIU overall, given human views/considerations.

Both have comparable schedules (Weak when compared to Top 25 teams). Using BASIC computative comparison, which doesn't require a whole lot:

NIU's best wins (away ups it better than at home):
@Iowa (#43)
Ball State (#42)
@Toledo (#46)
EIU (~#45-50) [#2 FCS; Stomped San Diego State; #43 in Sagarin overall-combined poll of FBS+FCS]

Fresno's best wins (away ups it better than at home):
@San Diego State (#59)
Boise State (#55)
Rutgers (#72)
UNLV (#84)

RE: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - badmoonrising13 - 11-24-2013 11:13 PM

I sure hope this Yoda guy isn't counting on a prediction some moron named Palm made tonight. I hope he uses the force to realize Palm is with the dark side.

Re: RE: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - NIUslumo - 11-24-2013 11:14 PM

(11-24-2013 11:11 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  
Quote:You've got to admit that there are some strange things with these computer results -- or maybe you don't. Not so much the passing of Fresno but the passing of some of the other teams that you passed. Do you folks believe that you should be ranked higher than Baylor, Oregon, Clemson, South Carolina and Stanford? Does it make sense to you that Sagarin has you #3? It sure wouldn't to me, if it was Fresno had your rankings. I'm not saying that you (or we) couldn't beat some of those teams but I'd be stunned if we were rated higher before we did.

In general, YES, I agree with you. The NIU computer ranking at #7 (on average) is too high. It should Rightfully be solidly higher than Fresno's, but yes, too high!! But you know what's JUST as weird? Fresno being SO much higher in human voting ranking than NIU. That's a WTF. At best, a notch higher than NIU overall, given human views/considerations.

Both have comparable schedules (Weak when compared to Top 25 teams). Using BASIC computative comparison, which doesn't require a whole lot:

NIU's best wins (away ups it better than at home):
@Iowa (#43)
Ball State (#42)
@Toledo (#46)
EIU (~#45-50) [#2 FCS; Stomped San Diego State; #43 in Sagarin overall-combined poll of FBS+FCS]

Fresno's best wins (away ups it better than at home):
@San Diego State (#59)
Boise State (#55)
Rutgers (#72)
UNLV (#84)

Ding Ding Ding

RE: Jerry Palm Poll Analysis - Yoda - 11-24-2013 11:26 PM

(11-24-2013 11:13 PM)badmoonrising13 Wrote:  I sure hope this Yoda guy isn't counting on a prediction some moron named Palm made tonight. I hope he uses the force to realize Palm is with the dark side.

First off, I'm not a Star Wars fan -- I saw the original movie only and don't even remember it. I adopted the moniker after seeing Tarkanian and his brother at the Final Four in Seattle in 1989 -- they just had the look.

Second, I'm not counting on anything. I came here today because you folks were whining about the coaches rankings and I wanted to give some of the Fresno side. I didn't come here to say we should be rated higher. I think we are the better team but that is a different question than who should be rated higher. I think both sides can make a case on both scores.

It's been interesting to see how the human voters and computer rankings differ. My sense is that the computers respond to the case you make better then they do to our case -- but the humans respond to the case we make better than they do to your case. Assuming that we both go undefeated, we will see which prevails.

Yoda out...