CSNbbs
Nick's Picks - Week #13 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: Nick's Picks - Week #13 (/thread-661710.html)

Pages: 1 2

Nick's Picks - Week #13 - Nick in Cleveland - 11-18-2013 04:19 PM

Sitting at 77-16 for the year…only one really big game this week that will have significant impact on the standings and the MAC bowls

Tuesday Nov 19

Buffalo 33 – Miami 10
Hard to see the RedHawks being very competitive here…this game could get ugly quick

Ohio 24 – Kent St 20
Bobcats are trying to keep their heads above water while KSU is trying to revive a poor season; should be a very close game

Wednesday Nov 20

Toledo 52 – NIU 51
Everything in my mind has NIU winning this game and they very well may, they are the best team in the league and have the league’s best player…somehow I see a mild upset with Toledo winning at home. The Rockets are averaging a 35-28 win thus far while NIU has a commanding 44-25 average win per game but there is something about this Rocket team this year that draws me to say they will win. Interesting fact is that Toledo has yet to beat the Huskies this decade after going 11-0 from 1990-2004; either way this will be a fun game closely resembling the 63-60 game two years ago

Toledo/NIU Series per decade
Per decade
W L T PFPG PAPG
2010's 0 3 0 38.0 53.0
2000's 8 2 0 32.3 24.7
1990's 6 0 0 31.8 12.3
1980's 6 4 0 17.3 18.6
1970's 7 2 0 25.8 15.1
1960's 2 0 0 35.0 10.5
Rockets lead 29-11

Saturday Nov 23

Central 27 – UMass 17
Another late season surge by the Chips, will a 6-6 record get them another bowl bid this year if they close out with three straight wins?

BGSU 56 – Eastern 14
Not much to predict here…

RE: Nick's Picks - Week #13 - Redwingtom - 11-18-2013 04:41 PM

I think BG will win and handily, but I think you're giving them way too many points. BG has virtually nothing to play for other than to not get hurt. Look for an early exit for the first string unless they're under-performing mightily, but in that case, the game would have be in question.

I would look for more like 31-10.

RE: Nick's Picks - Week #13 - Okie Chippewa - 11-18-2013 04:48 PM

NIU-UT is another MAC "game of the year".

You know your league can't be all bad when the national media is coming back for more MACtion!

RE: Nick's Picks - Week #13 - Redwingtom - 11-18-2013 04:58 PM

(11-18-2013 04:48 PM)Okie Chippewa Wrote:  NIU-UT is another MAC "game of the year".

You know your league can't be all bad when the national media is coming back for more MACtion!

Yeah...but they're also televising Ohio-Kent and Buffalo-Miami. 03-wink

RE: Nick's Picks - Week #13 - Love and Honor - 11-18-2013 05:45 PM

I get the logic behind picking Toledo, but until NIU loses I'm sticking with them.

RE: Nick's Picks - Week #13 - zrb2 - 11-19-2013 03:35 PM

Toledo looked really good last week until that 2nd half. That left a bad taste in my mouth regarding the Rockets. I'd pick NIU in a tough game, 37-27 type of score.

RE: Nick's Picks - Week #13 - perimeterpost - 11-19-2013 04:50 PM

Kent State has won 3 of the last 4 against Ohio, OU failed to score a single offensive TD in those 3 losses. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

RE: Nick's Picks - Week #13 - Sultan of Euphonistan - 11-19-2013 07:01 PM

(11-19-2013 04:50 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  Kent State has won 3 of the last 4 against Ohio, OU failed to score a single offensive TD in those 3 losses. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

True but Kent States defense was better then and we are felling a bit beat up this year. Remember we have not had a bye yet this year. I still hope Kent ins though of course.

RE: Nick's Picks - Week #13 - HuskiemobileMan - 11-19-2013 09:39 PM

We are too good for the MAC 03-wink We will win in a landslide.

RE: Nick's Picks - Week #13 - Nick in Cleveland - 11-23-2013 09:34 PM

Nick’s Picks went 4-2 during the week and closes out the season at 81-18 making the it the 14th straight year I’ve hovered the 80% mark. Below are the results and my thoughts on NIU.

With the holiday week coming up, family obligations and work travel I won’t be having any further Nicks Picks for the season. Until next season – I hope the MAC has an excellent post season and that somehow someway the Huskies crash the party again.

====================

Nick’s Pick: Buffalo 33 – Miami 10
Actual: Buffalo 44 – Miami 7
Went as predicted…can’t believe how bad this Miami team is especially for those of us who know and lived through the Redskin and RedHawks history of the 1970s, 80s and Big Ben teams.

Nick’s Pick: Ohio 24 Kent St 20
Actual: Kent St 44 – Ohio 13
I had stated that this late in the year you can never predict the “want to” in a team once they fall out of the championship hunt and for OU they have fallen faster than the Hindenburg.

Nick’s Pick: Toledo 52 – NIU 51
Actual: NIU 35 – Toledo 17
Not surprised the Huskies won but very surprised the score was so low.

Nick’s Pick: Central 27 – UMass 17
Actual: Central 37 – UMass 0
The past two seasons the Chips have closed strong, why can’t they play like this in September to make these November games worth something?

Nick’s Pick: BGSU 56 – Eastern 14
Actual: BGSU 58 – Eastern 7
Went as predicted

====================

About NIU:
I’ve seen many of MAC quality teams during my nearly 50 years on this planet. I remember the Toledo championship teams of Chuck Ealey especially the 1971 edition, those outstanding Miami teams of the mid-1970s that beat three SEC teams on the old Tangerine Bowls, the Marshall teams of the late 1990s and certainly some other quality MAC teams over the past decade. But I have never seen a team as talented as this year’s NIU team and in my mind as a long-time MAC fan this is clearly the best MAC team ever.

Yes that’s a loaded statement but they are that good. Also, think about how they have had three different coach’s in the past five years. With their QB and some quality skill players this NIU team is truly outstanding, a definite joy to watch and a team I believe deserves a BCS bid over a very quality Fresno State team if both happen to go undefeated and win their title games. Clearly both of these teams are better than anything the American Conference has to offer.

To NIU and their fans, I tip my hat to your team this year and an outstanding season that’s something for the ages in MAC football history!

RE: Nick's Picks - Week #13 - NIU05 - 11-23-2013 10:34 PM

Thanks Nick - for the kind words regarding my beloved Huskies and for your contributions to the board. Love your weekly picks and look forward to your recruiting column. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

RE: Nick's Picks - Week #13 - Field Turf - 11-23-2013 11:36 PM

And against Toledo, NIU was minus:
Top 2 WRs
Top O lineman (hurt 3 weeks ago)
Top RB from last year (hurt all season) and the 2nd string RB
Starting LB (suspended early in season)
Starting CB (hurt about 5 games ago)

But, I think NIU has had better defenses than this years.

RE: Nick's Picks - Week #13 - CMichFan - 11-24-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:The past two seasons the Chips have closed strong, why can’t they play like this in September to make these November games worth something?

Check our early season schedule for both this season and last for a partial answer to that question. In addition, we lost our original starting QB and RB in the first quarter of the 1st game this season (against Michigan) 03-banghead and our starting LT in game two. Followed by our starting RG not too long after that. It's taken a while to get our offense in synch.

Today is really only the second game this season we have played well for a full four quarters, Ohio being the first. It also helps that some young players have stepped up on defense recently.

RE: Nick's Picks - Week #13 - HuskiemobileMan - 11-24-2013 02:36 AM

Thank you Nick. It is pretty amazing we have continued success with 3 different coaches. Next year will be a real test.

RE: Nick's Picks - Week #13 - epasnoopy - 11-24-2013 02:48 AM

(11-23-2013 09:34 PM)Nick in Cleveland Wrote:  About NIU:
I’ve seen many of MAC quality teams during my nearly 50 years on this planet. I remember the Toledo championship teams of Chuck Ealey especially the 1971 edition, those outstanding Miami teams of the mid-1970s that beat three SEC teams on the old Tangerine Bowls, the Marshall teams of the late 1990s and certainly some other quality MAC teams over the past decade. But I have never seen a team as talented as this year’s NIU team and in my mind as a long-time MAC fan this is clearly the best MAC team ever.

Yes that’s a loaded statement but they are that good. Also, think about how they have had three different coach’s in the past five years. With their QB and some quality skill players this NIU team is truly outstanding, a definite joy to watch and a team I believe deserves a BCS bid over a very quality Fresno State team if both happen to go undefeated and win their title games. Clearly both of these teams are better than anything the American Conference has to offer.

To NIU and their fans, I tip my hat to your team this year and an outstanding season that’s something for the ages in MAC football history!

This team has a lot of depth too.

We played without our top 2 WRs, both of which are speed guys.

We have played without our #1 RB the entire season, we lost our #3 RB to injury against Kent State, our #4 RB left the program after Purdue, our #5 RB is a walk-on, and the rest are true freshmen that are playing because of all the losses.

One of our starting LBs, Rasheen Lemon, has not played most of the season. For some unknown reason he has been suspended for a long time.

We've played without one of our starting corners, Sean Evans, much of the season too.

Oh yeah, we also lost our starting LT Tyler Loos a few games ago.

There have been other key players who have missed time too due to injuries.

RE: Nick's Picks - Week #13 - Redwingtom - 11-25-2013 11:53 AM

No way....you're way too blinded by their offensive numbers and Jordan Lynch. The best MAC team ever doesn't give up 24.5 points per game and specifically 35 to a 1-10 Idaho team, 39 to Eastern Illinois (yeah their good, but still an FCS team) and 20 to EMU who BG just held to 4 first downs, 65 total yards, and 1 completion for 4 yards!

RE: Nick's Picks - Week #13 - Motown Bronco - 11-25-2013 12:31 PM

I haven't been following the MAC as long as Nick - mainly from the mid 1990s on - but I think 2013 NIU vs. 1999 Marshall would be a really, really close (and fun) game to watch.

I might even give 1999 Marshall the edge here. While their offense was as potent, their defense was a brick wall: Didn't allow over 17 points in any game in the regular season, with six of those games allowing single-digits.

RE: Nick's Picks - Week #13 - Love and Honor - 11-25-2013 12:49 PM

(11-25-2013 12:31 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  I haven't been following the MAC as long as Nick - mainly from the mid 1990s on - but I think 2013 NIU vs. 1999 Marshall would be a really, really close (and fun) game to watch.

I might even give 1999 Marshall the edge here. While their offense was as potent, their defense was a brick wall: Didn't allow over 17 points in any game in the regular season, with six of those games allowing single-digits.

There's a website, whatifsports.com, which comes up with a bunch of computer projections of every DI team dating back to the late nineties; you can match historical teams against each other and factor in weather, home field advantage, etc. if you like. Of course, 2013 NIU isn't on there, but it'd be an interesting to make a fake mini tournament of 1999 Marshall, 2003 Miami, and perhaps one of the LeFevour teams.

RE: Nick's Picks - Week #13 - Redwingtom - 12-07-2013 06:19 PM

(11-25-2013 11:53 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

No way....you're way too blinded by their offensive numbers and Jordan Lynch. The best MAC team ever doesn't give up 24.5 points per game and specifically 35 to a 1-10 Idaho team, 39 to Eastern Illinois (yeah their good, but still an FCS team) and 20 to EMU who BG just held to 4 first downs, 65 total yards, and 1 completion for 4 yards!

05-bump

Nick?

RE: Nick's Picks - Week #13 - DrTorch - 12-07-2013 11:53 PM

(12-07-2013 06:19 PM)Redwingtom Wrote:  
(11-25-2013 11:53 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  

05-bump

Nick?

BG's first championship on 21 years, and you spoil it by being a gloating, pretentious ass. Go bandwagon for someone else's team.