CSNbbs
What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. (/thread-661597.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - Tallgrass - 11-18-2013 10:31 AM

Three assumptions are made. First, no more than 2 teams from one conference. Second, one spot is reserved for NonBCS team. Third, teams from the same conference would not be matched in the first round.

FIRST ROUND:
#1 Alabama versus #15 Fresno State

#2 Florida State versus #6 Auburn

#3 Ohio State versus #7 Clemson

#4 Baylor versus #5 Oregon

SECOND ROUND:
Alabama/Fresno State Winner versus Baylor/Oregon Winner
Florida State/Auburn Winner versus Ohio State/Clemson winner

BCS STANDINGS

As an aside, excluding Ohio State, Oregon, and Fresno State, it is interesting to note 5 of the 8 teams are from the south.

RE: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - lumberpack4 - 11-18-2013 10:35 AM

(11-18-2013 10:31 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  Three assumptions are made. First, no more than 2 teams from one conference. Second, one spot is reserved for NonBCS team. Third, teams from the same conference would not be matched in the first round.

FIRST ROUND:
#1 Alabama versus #18 UCF

SECOND ROUND:
Alabama/UCF Winner versus Baylor/Oregon Winner

BCS STANDINGS

As an aside, excluding Ohio State and Oregon, it is interesting to note 6 of the 8 teams are from the south.

I would support this.

RE: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - Tallgrass - 11-18-2013 10:41 AM

Perhaps the NonBCS conferences could open up the 8-team playoff to include more than 1 NonBCS team with some kind of proposal, perhaps something like this.

For the #7 and #8 spots, a NonBCS team would play a "play-in" game against a BCS team. For example, #16 Northern Illinois would play #9 Stanford and #15 Fresno State would play #10 Oklahoma State.

This would expand the 8-team to give 8 BCS teams a shot at the national title, rather than 7. BCS would also make more money. And, for the NonBCS conferences, it would get 2 NonBCS teams into the National Playoff picture rather than just 1. This would be an enhanced recruiting enticement.

My guess is there is a tremendous amount of money being made off the 4 game national playoff and an 8/10 team National Playoff would double that humongous amount of money. So, I do think BCS will expand the 4 game playoff---AND THROUGH COOPERATION--the five NonBCS conferences should come up with some kind of strategy to participate in a bigger manner. If the NonBCS conferences are to find a way for an enhanced participation, it will be through gaining support among the sporting public who like to see fair play; pursuing the "best of the NonBCS rest" strategy will get you a cup of coffee and a nice seat in the end zone.

The more correct observation is that it may be extremely difficult just to get 1 NonBCS team included in the 4 or 8 game national playoff, as BCS will obviously, as they have some many times in the past, stack the deck against NonBCS teams. It may take COOPERATION among the 5 NonBCS teams just to get 1 NonBCS team automatically included in the national playoff.

RE: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - RUScarlets - 11-18-2013 11:02 AM

(11-18-2013 10:31 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  Three assumptions are made. First, no more than 2 teams from one conference. Second, one spot is reserved for NonBCS team. Third, teams from the same conference would not be matched in the first round.

FIRST ROUND:

This is exactly why we don't need a playoff. Clemson got blown out against FSU. Auburn/Bama will already decide it on the field. And nobody honestly believes some mid majors can win three straight games against powerhouse schools. Keep it at 4 teams so that at least 90% of the time you never have more than 4 undefeated FBS schools in powerhouse conferences, or mid major schools that actually played tough OOC opponents.

RE: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - LSUtah - 11-18-2013 11:03 AM

I know this is just a "what if" exercise, but as college football fans we are incredibly fortunate to see a 4 team playoff in our lifetimes (wish it was this year), but no need to get greedy. It was a monumental paradigm shift just to get to a 4 team playoff. We will get to 8 in due time.

RE: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - TrojanCampaign - 11-18-2013 11:09 AM

The four team playoff is stupid.

RE: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - Tallgrass - 11-18-2013 11:22 AM

(11-18-2013 11:02 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  

FIRST ROUND:

This is exactly why we don't need a playoff. Clemson got blown out against FSU. Auburn/Bama will already decide it on the field. And nobody honestly believes some mid majors can win three straight games against powerhouse schools. Keep it at 4 teams so that at least 90% of the time you never have more than 4 undefeated FBS schools in powerhouse conferences, or mid major schools that actually played tough OOC opponents.

My guess is that no NonBCS team will ever appear in a 4 team national playoff, as the rules (Strength of Schedule) will forever keep NonBCS out. But an 8 team playoff perhaps opens a door for NonBCS teams.

Participation and/or a broader participation in an 8 team playoff may enable NonBCS schools to recruit better against the BCS teams and become more competitive.

RE: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - NIU007 - 11-18-2013 11:26 AM

4 teams is not a playoff. It's better than the current idiocy but it's not a playoff. 8 teams is a playoff.

RE: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - Frank the Tank - 11-18-2013 11:27 AM

(11-18-2013 10:41 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  Perhaps the NonBCS conferences could open up the 8-team playoff to include more than 1 NonBCS team with some kind of proposal, perhaps something like this.

For the #7 and #8 spots, a NonBCS team would play a "play-in" game against a BCS team. For example, #16 Northern Illinois would play #9 Stanford and #15 Fresno State would play #10 Oklahoma State.

This would expand the 8-team to give 8 BCS teams a shot at the national title, rather than 7. BCS would also make more money. And, for the NonBCS conferences, it would get 2 NonBCS teams into the National Playoff picture rather than just 1. This would be an enhanced recruiting enticement.

My guess is there is a tremendous amount of money being made off the 4 game national playoff and an 8/10 team National Playoff would double that humongous amount of money. So, I do think BCS will expand the 4 game playoff---AND THROUGH COOPERATION--the five NonBCS conferences should come up with some kind of strategy to participate in a bigger manner. If the NonBCS conferences are to find a way for an enhanced participation, it will be through gaining support among the sporting public who like to see fair play; pursuing the "best of the NonBCS rest" strategy will get you a cup of coffee and a nice seat in the end zone.

The more correct observation is that it may be extremely difficult just to get 1 NonBCS team included in the 4 or 8 game national playoff, as BCS will obviously, as they have some many times in the past, stack the deck against NonBCS teams. It may take COOPERATION among the 5 NonBCS teams just to get 1 NonBCS team automatically included in the national playoff.

If you want to sell an 8-team playoff to the powers that be, I still believe the road to this is to simply use the bowl structure with traditional tie-ins:

Rose: Big Ten vs. Pac-12
Sugar: SEC vs. at-large
Orange: ACC vs. at-large
Fiesta (or Cotton): Big 12 vs. at-large

One of the at-larges could be reserved for the top Group of Five champ (although as you've stated, that's going to take a lot of prodding). That would give us the following playoff:

Rose: #3 Ohio State vs. #5 Oregon
Sugar: #1 Alabama vs. #15 Fresno State
Orange: #2 Florida State vs. #6 Auburn*
Fiesta (or Cotton): #4 Baylor vs. #7 Clemson*

(* I definitely agree that you want to avoid rematches and intra-conference games in the first round.)

That looks like a sweet playoff to me with the tradition of the bowls maintained and, most importantly, you could conceivably see the power conferences sign up for this since such bowls allow them to maintain control (and the money that comes with it) over the overall system. Frankly, that would be more traditional than the new CFP system yet it would still expand the playoff access. Anyone can design a playoff system that he/she personally likes, but the challenge is to design a playoff system that the power conferences (most notably, the Big Ten and SEC) will actually agree to implement.

RE: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - TrojanCampaign - 11-18-2013 11:31 AM

(11-18-2013 11:22 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  
(11-18-2013 11:02 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  

FIRST ROUND:

My guess is that no NonBCS team will ever appear in a 4 team national playoff, as the rules (Strength of Schedule) will forever keep NonBCS out. But an 8 team playoff perhaps opens a door for NonBCS teams....

I actually disagree.

While it's not likely it's completely possible because we have seen teams like Boise State and TCU get very high in the polls. IMO UCF could have made a four team playoff this year if they had beaten South Carolina and went undefeated.

I don't think it's possible for anyone in the MAC, CUSA, or Sun Belt but I could definitely see a scenario like this happen:

UCF - goes undefeated and plays against five conference teams with winning records
UCF - beats a ranked Cincinatti and ECU in conference play
UCF - beats two respectable programs like Missouri, BYU, Penn State (That's their non conference schedule next year)

Honestly, if there are no undefeated teams next year and UCF can run the table with Missouri, BYU, and Penn State on the schedule you can't keep them out the top five. Especially if they finish this year at 11-1 they will be in the top 25 in the pre season regardless of what happens in the BCS bowl.

RE: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - RUScarlets - 11-18-2013 11:32 AM

(11-18-2013 11:22 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  My guess is that no NonBCS team will ever appear in a 4 team national playoff, as the rules (Strength of Schedule) will forever keep NonBCS out. But an 8 team playoff perhaps opens a door for NonBCS teams.

Participation and/or a broader participation in an 8 team playoff may enable NonBCS schools to recruit better against the BCS teams and become more competitive.

Yeah but it's just not worth it when you are playing the Ball St's and the UNLV's of the world on a weekly basis, and then include those teams in an 8 team rotation. I believe in expanded bowl access, and I would do away with this contract nonsense. But the At-Large schools will still be decided by the committee, that much we know. If they want to maintain any credibility, they will have to take these mid-majors and pit them with the big dogs if the polls have them higher.

But with 4 teams, you will undoubtedly get the three top teams in the country, and rarely are there years where you have more than 3 teams in discussion for #1. Numbers 4, 5, and 6 are interesting, but they usually have losses, and that keeps up the heightened uncertainty and unpredictability of the college football season. You still want the national controversy, and it will be less controversial debating between 4/5 as opposed to 2/3, when the best teams possibly get left out. Some years you will have a quality mid major left out at 5, despite running the table. But they will be in a BCS bowl and they will still have to win that game to make a case for expansion. Not to mention those emerging programs probably end up getting scooped up by a major conference in a couple of years anyway. Boise St. is probably the only notable school worth discussing in the BCS era.

RE: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - NIU007 - 11-18-2013 11:49 AM

(11-18-2013 11:32 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  
(11-18-2013 11:22 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  My guess is that no NonBCS team will ever appear in a 4 team national playoff, as the rules (Strength of Schedule) will forever keep NonBCS out. But an 8 team playoff perhaps opens a door for NonBCS teams.

Yeah but it's just not worth it when you are playing the Ball St's and the UNLV's of the world on a weekly basis, and then include those teams in an 8 team rotation. I believe in expanded bowl access, and I would do away with this contract nonsense. But the At-Large schools will still be decided by the committee, that much we know. If they want to maintain any credibility, they will have to take these mid-majors and pit them with the big dogs if the polls have them higher.

But with 4 teams, you will undoubtedly get the three top teams in the country, and rarely are there years where you have more than 3 teams in discussion for #1. Numbers 4, 5, and 6 are interesting, but they usually have losses, and that keeps up the heightened uncertainty and unpredictability of the college football season. You still want the national controversy, and it will be less controversial debating between 4/5 as opposed to 2/3, when the best teams possibly get left out. Some years you will have a quality mid major left out at 5, despite running the table. But they will be in a BCS bowl and they will still have to win that game to make a case for expansion. Not to mention those emerging programs probably end up getting scooped up by a major conference in a couple of years anyway. Boise St. is probably the only notable school worth discussing in the BCS era.

With 4 teams you don't undoubtedly get the best 3 teams in the country. You get the teams that people vote to be the top 3. A good MWC team or even MAC team could go undefeated with a good win or 2 OOC and not get in while various 1-loss teams or even 2-loss teams could get in from SEC or PAC or Big 10. And you really don't know who's better. Some people think they do, but they don't.

RE: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - TyBull - 11-18-2013 12:08 PM

The BCS Playoffs are starting this weekend with an "Elimination" game.....

UCONN vs Temple

Strap it up boys....................

RE: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - quo vadis - 11-18-2013 12:20 PM

(11-18-2013 10:31 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  Three assumptions are made. First, no more than 2 teams from one conference.

You lost me there. 07-coffee3

RE: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - goofus - 11-18-2013 12:33 PM

FIRST ROUND:

SECOND ROUND:
Alabama/Fresno State Winner versus Baylor/Oregon Winner

BCS STANDINGS

As an aside, excluding Ohio State, Oregon, and Fresno State, it is interesting to note 5 of the 8 teams are from the south.

I would like to see a 12-team playoff where the top 4 conference champions who won a CCG get a bye.

So in this example, Bama, Fl St., Ohio St., and Oregon would get first round byes (assuming they win out).

Plus there should be at least 6 conference champions, so Baylor and Fresno would also get in.

The other 6 teams would be at-large bids. No limit per conference.

RE: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - stever20 - 11-18-2013 12:34 PM

(11-18-2013 11:27 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(11-18-2013 10:41 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  Perhaps the NonBCS conferences could open up the 8-team playoff to include more than 1 NonBCS team with some kind of proposal, perhaps something like this.

If you want to sell an 8-team playoff to the powers that be, I still believe the road to this is to simply use the bowl structure with traditional tie-ins:

One of the at-larges could be reserved for the top Group of Five champ (although as you've stated, that's going to take a lot of prodding). That would give us the following playoff:

(* I definitely agree that you want to avoid rematches and intra-conference games in the first round.)

That looks like a sweet playoff to me with the tradition of the bowls maintained and, most importantly, you could conceivably see the power conferences sign up for this since such bowls allow them to maintain control (and the money that comes with it) over the overall system. Frankly, that would be more traditional than the new CFP system yet it would still expand the playoff access. Anyone can design a playoff system that he/she personally likes, but the challenge is to design a playoff system that the power conferences (most notably, the Big Ten and SEC) will actually agree to implement.

The SEC/Big 12/ACC will never agree to a system that could allow Big Ten/Pac 12 to have their winners who aren't as highly ranked play automatically in a QF. I mean let's take this year and Michigan St beats Ohio St and UCLA/Arizona St beats Oregon. Michigan St and UCLA would be ranked lower then Clemson, 2nd SEC team. Why should Florida St have to play instead of UCLA a SEC team that is much higher ranked? Why should Baylor have to play instead of Michigan St a much higher ranked Clemson team?

The other 3 conferences didn't protect the Rose Bowl now, they surely won't be protecting it down the road.

RE: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - Frank the Tank - 11-18-2013 12:59 PM

(11-18-2013 12:34 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(11-18-2013 11:27 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

The SEC/Big 12/ACC will never agree to a system that could allow Big Ten/Pac 12 to have their winners who aren't as highly ranked play automatically in a QF. I mean let's take this year and Michigan St beats Ohio St and UCLA/Arizona St beats Oregon. Michigan St and UCLA would be ranked lower then Clemson, 2nd SEC team. Why should Florida St have to play instead of UCLA a SEC team that is much higher ranked? Why should Baylor have to play instead of Michigan St a much higher ranked Clemson team?

The other 3 conferences didn't protect the Rose Bowl now, they surely won't be protecting it down the road.

You have a habit of always giving the worst case scenario. The Rose Bowl could also result in Big Ten and Pac-12 teams having to play much higher ranked teams compared to what they would in a straight-seeded 8-team playoff. Would you be signing the same tune if Oregon was still ranked #2? In fact, if you were to apply this format historically, the SEC would end up getting the easiest opponent in the Sugar Bowl virtually every year (including seasons where they weren't the #1 seed and wouldn't "deserve" such a weak opponent in the minds of seedings obsessed people). The SEC is really the only conference that can talk here about seeding in the first place - neither the Big 12 nor especially the ACC have any historical basis to argue against any supposed and completely misguided "Rose Bowl advantage".

Plus, I think it's a much different argument to protect the Rose Bowl matchup in an 8-team format where the 5 power conference champs would have auto-bids no matter what compared to a 4-team playoff where, at the very least, 1 power conference champ is going to get left out (if not multiple power conference champs). You inherently can't protect a true Rose Bowl (or any other bowl tie-in) in a 4-team playoff without any auto-bids, but an 8-team playoff WITH auto-bids is entirely different.

Finally, the entire crux of the power conferences' hold on the postseason system is through these contractual arrangements with the bowls. The tie-ins DO matter, as that's the difference between making $40 million-plus per year for a "contract conference" versus a fraction of that for a non-contract conference. You can wedge a 4-team playoff into that existing bowl system, but an 8-team playoff essentially means that you have to entirely take over that bowl system altogether.

I'm looking for systems that you can sell to the power conference commissioners. You believe that seeding matters more than anything else. I believe that the money and control is going to matter more than the seeding (and that is inherently going to have a conflict in an 8-team playoff scenario in a way that doesn't exist in the 4-team playoff). I don't necessarily believe that's the *best* setup compared to straight seeding, but I absolutely believe that ALL of the power conferences (not just the Big Ten and Pac-12) have a desire to maintain the caste system that they have now and the top tier bowl tie-ins are a contractual (and legal) way to ensure that continues. Taking away the contractual tie-ins means taking away that caste system (and no one, including the vaunted SEC, wants anything to do with that).

RE: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - stever20 - 11-18-2013 01:11 PM

I think one major point Frank is that the 1st round would likely be done prior to the 1st of the year. I don't think they want to extend the season to where the title game is being played 3rd week in January. I think they already aren't all that happy that the title game is some years like 13th of January. now imagine extending out another week. I don't think so.

RE: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - RUScarlets - 11-18-2013 01:23 PM

(11-18-2013 11:49 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  With 4 teams you don't undoubtedly get the best 3 teams in the country. You get the teams that people vote to be the top 3. A good MWC team or even MAC team could go undefeated with a good win or 2 OOC and not get in while various 1-loss teams or even 2-loss teams could get in from SEC or PAC or Big 10. And you really don't know who's better. Some people think they do, but they don't.

And winning a fluke game against a power opponent with a month to prepare is not going to tell us anything either. With the 8 team playoff, those mid majors may still be omitted if there are enough one loss teams, so it doesn't really solve anything either. Plus, there is no way a mid major is winning a national title having to win 3 games on neutral fields, unless that mid major is a perennial winner that is actually recognized nationally having done it for years. NIU does not fit that bill yet until they win at least a BCS game.

I would rather have the two loss teams AND mid majors bypassed, instead of having more of them in the mix at the end of the year. It's an appropriate sacrifice.

RE: What an 8-Team National Playoff would look like with current BCS rankings. - Frank the Tank - 11-18-2013 01:28 PM

(11-18-2013 01:11 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I think one major point Frank is that the 1st round would likely be done prior to the 1st of the year. I don't think they want to extend the season to where the title game is being played 3rd week in January. I think they already aren't all that happy that the title game is some years like 13th of January. now imagine extending out another week. I don't think so.

I know that commissioners have stated this, but this is one area that I just don't buy. These commissioners have sold out for the almighty dollar on virtually every single issue and made a mockery of the student-athlete concept, yet they're going to put their foot down on having 2 teams play an extra week or two later in January (particularly when their other revenue sport of basketball has a season that stretches from mid-October practices to the end of the Final Four in April)?

You may end up being correct that seeding will rule all, but I have severe skepticism about the commissioners caring at all about how late the season goes with the dollars involved (partly because it's a nonsensical argument compared to how much they've sold out on everything else). Imagine how much money will be offered from TV interests to have the college football championship game played on the Sunday in that "dead weekend" between the NFC/AFC championship games and the Super Bowl (which aligns quite nicely with an 8-team playoff schedule). That's simply worth a LOT more financially than December playoff games... and if you buy that commissioners and presidents care about academics, having 2 teams play an extra game in January when the semester has just begun or hasn't even started is quite a bit better than 8 teams having December playoff games played smack in the middle of finals week.