CSNbbs
UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' (/thread-660615.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - CDS86 - 11-13-2013 08:28 PM

Nice overview of the three guys who signed today:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20131113/SPT0101/311130159/UC-recruits-replenish-front-line-

RE: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - RealDeal - 11-13-2013 09:08 PM

These guys are going to be ready to play considering we will only have Lawrence returning from our 4/5 players. Hopefully Strickland gets eligible and can at least get a semesters worth of practice in.

RE: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - Bearcatbdub - 11-13-2013 10:44 PM

We have 1 scholly left- who are we still on?

RE: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - ctipton - 11-13-2013 11:00 PM

(11-13-2013 10:44 PM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  We have 1 scholly left- who are we still on?

They may be looking for someone in the late signing period, or they may just pocket it.

RE: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - Bruce Monnin - 11-13-2013 11:36 PM

A great ball handling point guard, or a dead eye shooting guard would be nice :)

RE: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - ctipton - 11-13-2013 11:38 PM

(11-13-2013 11:36 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  A great ball handling point guard, or a dead eye shooting guard would be nice :)

I really believe we already have both of those in this freshman class plus one who is probably redshirting.

RE: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - icehole3 - 11-14-2013 05:00 AM

they need a zone buster since they'll lose SK

RE: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - beck - 11-14-2013 07:25 AM

Sk, bless him, is not a zone buster.

RE: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - Bruce Monnin - 11-14-2013 07:42 AM

(11-13-2013 11:38 PM)ctipton Wrote:  
(11-13-2013 11:36 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  A great ball handling point guard, or a dead eye shooting guard would be nice :)

I really believe we already have both of those in this freshman class plus one who is probably redshirting.

I believe you are probably right, but I like to have more than one of each.

RE: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - BearcatBeta - 11-14-2013 08:20 AM

(11-14-2013 05:00 AM)icehole3 Wrote:  they need a zone buster since they'll lose SK

Diego Guevara has some eligibility left I hear

RE: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - indycat - 11-14-2013 09:37 AM

So for those on here who follow recruiting closely, how will the experts rank this class?

A story @ Cincinnati.com this morning is quoting a recruiting expert who is saying X has the 4th ranked class. I don't put much stock in class rankings; especially since some recruits never qualify, become eligible or actually arrive.

Still, Mick needs to be getting top 25 classes most every year to take UC basketball back toward being a championship contender. Progress has been good but expectations rise with success too.

RE: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - BeerCat - 11-14-2013 09:47 AM

(11-14-2013 09:37 AM)indycat Wrote:  So for those on here who follow recruiting closely, how will the experts rank this class?

A story @ Cincinnati.com this morning is quoting a recruiting expert who is saying X has the 4th ranked class. I don't put much stock in class rankings; especially since some recruits never qualify, become eligible or actually arrive.

Still, Mick needs to be getting top 25 classes most every year to take UC basketball back toward being a championship contender. Progress has been good but expectations rise with success too.

I'm certainly not a recruiting expert, but I've watched all the videos of Clark and Moore and I am pumped about them. They look more like Syracuse, Louisville recruits than Seton Hall type recruits. They are long guys that can really stretch the floor. They are the type of players that create huge matchup problems for lower level teams and matchup fine with upper tier teams. I'm also impressed with Deberry. While he may not be a world beater, consider that he'll be taking the place of a Mbodj, Nyarsuk type. He will be a bench player, but the dropoff will not be as gigantic as when Big Dave comes in the game.

Personally, with it looking like Morman will redshirt and Strickland maybe not qualifying this year, I think Mick will try to get in on a big name late in the game or pocket the scholly for next year. If next year's freshman class is Clark, Moore, Morman and Strickland it will be one hell of a class.

I'll repeat this again, I think Lawrence's junior year will be a big one for UC basketball. I really think Mick's recruiting is picking up and Mick is one hell of a coach. I expect big things.

RE: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - Cat-Man - 11-14-2013 12:40 PM

(11-14-2013 09:37 AM)indycat Wrote:  So for those on here who follow recruiting closely, how will the experts rank this class?

Unfortunately this is a ripple effect of the Big East/AAC fiasco. The Big East name still carries alot of weight with recruits. XU wouldn't have got some of those guys if they were still in the A-10.

This year may be the exception to the rule in the "who is better?" debate between the BE vs AAC, because of UofL. Next year may be a different story. Although, it does help that the BE does not carry the ESPN banner that kids prefer. So maybe the BE name will fizzle out a little more over the years.

I really hope recruiting does not suffer too much because of this crap conference. 03-banghead

RE: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - Ring of Black - 11-14-2013 12:44 PM

(11-14-2013 12:40 PM)Cat-Man Wrote:  I really hope recruiting does not suffer too much because of this crap conference. 03-banghead

Well, the last two classes (yesterday's and last year's) have been arguably two of Mick's best, so it hasn't happened yet.

RE: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - cinbinsportsfan - 11-14-2013 12:58 PM

(11-14-2013 12:44 PM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  
(11-14-2013 12:40 PM)Cat-Man Wrote:  I really hope recruiting does not suffer too much because of this crap conference. 03-banghead

Well, the last two classes (yesterday's and last year's) have been arguably two of Mick's best, so it hasn't happened yet.

Yea, I agree, I don't think it will. Football recruiting is night and day compared to basketball recruiting. In football, conference realignment, stadium size, etc. play a huge part in drawing in recruits. In basketball, it's far more weighted towards program success/stability and propensity to get guys into the pros. Conference affiliation plays a part but just not as much as football. Luckily Mick has proven he can accomplish both.

RE: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - indycat - 11-14-2013 01:57 PM

(11-14-2013 12:40 PM)Cat-Man Wrote:  

Unfortunately this is a ripple effect of the Big East/AAC fiasco. The Big East name still carries alot of weight with recruits. XU wouldn't have got some of those guys if they were still in the A-10.

This year may be the exception to the rule in the "who is better?" debate between the BE vs AAC, because of UofL. Next year may be a different story. Although, it does help that the BE does not carry the ESPN banner that kids prefer. So maybe the BE name will fizzle out a little more over the years.

I really hope recruiting does not suffer too much because of this crap conference. 03-banghead

Understand your point regarding the conferences but I'm not sure I agree. Presumably, recruiting of a player starts at least two years in advance, so Mack was in on those guys when X had no hope of leaving the A10. Also interesting to watch the college basketball marathon on ESPN this week pretty much devoid of anything Big East. Imagine that a year ago? FoxSports1 may get traction eventually, but I'm glad the AAC stuck with the #1 network. Fans are so conditioned to tuning in one of the ESPN channels for college basketball. The new BE was enticed with the money from Fox but in the long run viewership and conference image will be marginalized.

RE: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - bearcatmill - 11-14-2013 02:16 PM

I do not think this is the case for bball. Even without uofl for bball, the AAC has some pretty good bball teams, ie UC, uconn, memphis, temple. I would say no worse than the New BE. New BE has Marq and Georgetown as their tier 1. Nova as possible 2nd tier team. Maybe St Johns, however, they are extremely inconsistent every year.

RE: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - Lush - 11-14-2013 02:47 PM

so coreontae scores almost a point a minute in juco. many questions raised. is coreontae not the most cobbled together name ever?

RE: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - SuperFlyBCat - 11-14-2013 02:54 PM

As an example, their last 4 classes have mainly high rated players. They recruited well in the A-10.

RE: UC recruits to 'replenish front line' - Bearcat T - 11-14-2013 04:28 PM

Saw our early class in top 40 today. not bad since Jucos usually don't get rated highly by most of these publications.