CSNbbs
OT: Hawaii is 0-9?!? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: OT: Hawaii is 0-9?!? (/thread-659731.html)

OT: Hawaii is 0-9?!? - MUther - 11-09-2013 08:23 PM

How can they be that bad? How hard could it be to talk someone into living in Hawaii for 4-5 years? I've always felt like they should get any recruit they wanted. And they have built-in linemen all over the place with freakin Samoans all around them. I just don't get it.

RE: OT: Hawaii is 0-9?!? - ECU-DMB Fanatic - 11-09-2013 08:44 PM

(11-09-2013 08:23 PM)MUther Wrote:  How can they be that bad? How hard could it be to talk someone into living in Hawaii for 4-5 years? I've always felt like they should get any recruit they wanted. And they have built-in linemen all over the place with freakin Samoans all around them. I just don't get it.

It is much harder than you think to get guys out there….I remember listening to an interview with June Jones years ago about recruiting and he said the facilities were bad and it is too far away for families to come and watch games. He said it was a very difficult place to recruit.

RE: OT: Hawaii is 0-9?!? - BRtransplant - 11-10-2013 06:14 AM

Not that long ago, Hawaii played in a BCS Bowl, and just two years ago, one fluke loss to UAB is all that prevented USM from busting the BCS. Now both are at rock bottom. It goes to show just how important continuity in the coaching staff is. Having an ultra successful football program at our level comes with a price. No one can sustain it because any very successful coach at a G-5 conference school will be lured away to the big bucks of the BCS conferences. Those 9-3 seasons have a silver lining. You win and play in a bowl, and you also get to keep your coaching staff around.

RE: OT: Hawaii is 0-9?!? - MUther - 11-10-2013 07:19 AM

(11-09-2013 08:44 PM)ECU-DMB Fanatic Wrote:  
(11-09-2013 08:23 PM)MUther Wrote:  How can they be that bad? How hard could it be to talk someone into living in Hawaii for 4-5 years? I've always felt like they should get any recruit they wanted. And they have built-in linemen all over the place with freakin Samoans all around them. I just don't get it.

It is much harder than you think to get guys out there….I remember listening to an interview with June Jones years ago about recruiting and he said the facilities were bad and it is too far away for families to come and watch games. He said it was a very difficult place to recruit.

Yeah I know it IS tough to get them there. It's just kind of a joke that a paradise destination has such trouble getting recruits. I went to school in Alaska. I couldn't wait to get away from here for a while. But I understand the family thing and the distance.

RE: OT: Hawaii is 0-9?!? - AndreWhere - 11-10-2013 03:54 PM

(11-10-2013 06:14 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  Not that long ago, Hawaii played in a BCS Bowl, and just two years ago, one fluke loss to UAB is all that prevented USM from busting the BCS. Now both are at rock bottom. It goes to show just how important continuity in the coaching staff is. Having an ultra successful football program at our level comes with a price. No one can sustain it because any very successful coach at a G-5 conference school will be lured away to the big bucks of the BCS conferences. Those 9-3 seasons have a silver lining. You win and play in a bowl, and you also get to keep your coaching staff around.

Hawaii and USM made the same mistake. We both took a long-time coordinator of advanced age and tried to make him an HC. In fairness to Hawaii, they don't have anything like the natural advantages that USM had. Hell, we could have promoted from within in 2011, like Boise State has been doing. In 2012, we could have hired Bobby Petrino. The fact that we hired world class assclowns instead, in both cases, really makes me suspect that there were ulterior motives at play when these decisions were made.

RE: OT: Hawaii is 0-9?!? - BIG PINEAPPLE - 11-10-2013 08:03 PM

No place I'd rather be than Hawaii!!!

RE: OT: Hawaii is 0-9?!? - eagleriffic - 11-10-2013 08:25 PM

I remember June Jones saying if a kids parents said that they had never missed seeing their kid play a game he did not recruit them. Hawaii is a great place but you have to be a really good coach to be successful there.

Can we play them at the end of the year is we are both 0-12?

Re: RE: OT: Hawaii is 0-9?!? - DexterDevil - 11-11-2013 01:14 AM

(11-10-2013 08:25 PM)eagleriffic Wrote:  I remember June Jones saying if a kids parents said that they had never missed seeing their kid play a game he did not recruit them. Hawaii is a great place but you have to be a really good coach to be successful there.

Can we play them at the end of the year is we are both 0-12?

Why not? They have the 13th game clause lol. Dweller Bowl?

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2