CSNbbs
MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow (/thread-658982.html)

Pages: 1 2

MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - GaStPanthers - 11-06-2013 09:16 AM

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2013/november/rules+changes+in+mens+basketball+designed+to+reduce+physical+play+create+offensive+flow

RE: MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - insideualr - 11-06-2013 10:58 AM

I fear a ft shooting contest.

RE: MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - MBA2000 - 11-06-2013 01:26 PM

Watched our exhibition game Monday night. The hands calls were frequent, as they need to be until the players complete the adjustment. Personally I'm all for the change. Way to much grabbing and holding going on the past few years without a foul being called.

RE: MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - chiefsfan - 11-06-2013 02:05 PM

Its an awful adjustment that was simply meant to increase scoring. A few nationally televised games on ESPN last year ended in the thirties. NCAA couldn't risk that continuing.

RE: MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - tx.state - 11-06-2013 02:36 PM

Didn't watch our exhibition game, but I did watch Kaspar's post game press conference. Kaspar said the rules were ridiculus but as far as he was concerned they wouldn't last after this year. The outcry from coaches across the country is going to be tremendous.

RE: MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - Rojogrande - 11-06-2013 03:24 PM

In WKU's exhibition game against Campbellsville there were 51 fouls called. WKU shot 41 free-throws. I don't know who the NCAA is kidding but no one wants to watch a stoppage in play that often. People who go to games pay to watch the players, not the refs blow their whistle every 30 seconds. At least that is my opinion on the matter.

RE: MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - Vobserver - 11-06-2013 03:36 PM

(11-06-2013 03:24 PM)Rojogrande Wrote:  In WKU's exhibition game against Campbellsville there were 51 fouls called. WKU shot 41 free-throws. I don't know who the NCAA is kidding but no one wants to watch a stoppage in play that often. People who go to games pay to watch the players, not the refs blow their whistle every 30 seconds. At least that is my opinion on the matter.

Then coaches need to teach their players how to play proper defense without fouling. Simple.

RE: MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - SkullyMaroo - 11-06-2013 03:53 PM

(11-06-2013 03:36 PM)Vobserver Wrote:  
(11-06-2013 03:24 PM)Rojogrande Wrote:  In WKU's exhibition game against Campbellsville there were 51 fouls called. WKU shot 41 free-throws. I don't know who the NCAA is kidding but no one wants to watch a stoppage in play that often. People who go to games pay to watch the players, not the refs blow their whistle every 30 seconds. At least that is my opinion on the matter.

Then coaches need to teach their players how to play proper defense without fouling. Simple.

I think there were 54 fouls in USA's exhibition game. But teaching your team is one thing. You can't teach the other team not to foul, which also stops the game. Our exhibition game last night was only a sign of things to come. Our teams best be ready to win some games at the line.

RE: MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - Vobserver - 11-06-2013 03:55 PM

(11-06-2013 03:53 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  

I think there were 54 fouls in USA's exhibition game. But teaching your team is one thing. You can't teach the other team not to foul, which also stops the game. Our exhibition game last night was only a sign of things to come. Our teams best be ready to win some games at the line.

Then shoot free throws well.. will add to your win total.

RE: MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - BeliefBlazer - 11-06-2013 03:55 PM

(11-06-2013 02:05 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Its an awful adjustment that was simply meant to increase scoring. A few nationally televised games on ESPN last year ended in the thirties. NCAA couldn't risk that continuing.

..and as soon as ESPN complains that games are lasting way too long the rule will be changed back.

RE: MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - chiefsfan - 11-06-2013 04:04 PM

The only way to play defense without fouling under the current rule is to not play defense.

There is a reason that a ton of coaches, many of whom are well respected, are complaining about the rule. No one wants to watch a 30 point basketball game, and no one wants to watch a team shoot 40 free throws a game either.

It will never last beyond this year. It'll go the way of the incredibly stupid kickoff rule in football from years ago when they started the clock the minute the ball was kicked.

RE: MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - CajunExpress - 11-06-2013 04:38 PM

I learned NCAA basketball in the late sixties, and early seventies. Defense in those days was not being able to back a guy out of position to score, it was actually being quick enough to get the position, and fast enough to cleanly steal a ball.

Except for the non shot clock those games were superior to the current mid south wrestling match. Today a foul is often so subjective nobody is happy with it being called or not. There is no reason people should be allowed to lean on players, shove players, have moving picks. What masks as defense is merely allowing the bigger guys have their way, clumsy though they be.

RE: MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - Rojogrande - 11-07-2013 10:32 AM

It isn't that simple when over a kids entire basketball career he has been able to play defense one way and use his hands more then they are allowing this season. Now I have faith in Coach Harper to coach the guys on playing good defense. But the whole point of this rule was so that low scoring games did not happen as much. I have heard that Harper has the WKU players interlocking their fingers behind their head on defense in practice to adjust to the new rule. If you have every played basketball then you should know that it is near impossible to play good defense without using your hands some.

RE: MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - CajunExpress - 11-07-2013 10:51 AM

(11-07-2013 10:32 AM)Rojogrande Wrote:  

It isn't that simple when over a kids entire basketball career he has been able to play defense one way and use his hands more then they are allowing this season. Now I have faith in Coach Harper to coach the guys on playing good defense. But the whole point of this rule was so that low scoring games did not happen as much. I have heard that Harper has the WKU players interlocking their fingers behind their head on defense in practice to adjust to the new rule. If you have every played basketball then you should know that it is near impossible to play good defense without using your hands some.

So you would agree that the rules apply to all players right? No one is going to be better served by the rules than others, unless you like to foul and call it playing hard defense.

kinda like - dahbeed - 11-07-2013 10:57 AM

(11-07-2013 10:51 AM)CajunExpress Wrote:  

So you would agree that the rules apply to all players right? No one is going to be better served by the rules than others, unless you like to foul and call it playing hard defense.

cough cough.....brady, shields.

RE: MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - lcitsh - 11-07-2013 11:54 AM

(11-06-2013 02:36 PM)tx.state Wrote:  Didn't watch our exhibition game, but I did watch Kaspar's post game press conference. Kaspar said the rules were ridiculus but as far as he was concerned they wouldn't last after this year. The outcry from coaches across the country is going to be tremendous.

Doubtful. The coaches are the ones who overwhelmingly passed this initiative.

RE: MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - Rojogrande - 11-07-2013 12:11 PM

Yes I think it will apply to all players. Some teams will be better served though. Because some teams like to rely on their defense to create transition opportunities on offense and easy baskets. Teams like VCU, Wichita St, and even Louisville may be severely hampered by the new rule if it is enforced to the level it has been so far in the exhibition games. Now those teams have talent and I admit you can create havoc on defense without fouling every time. But a lot of full court press defenses depend on the sideline trap. If refs call every little hand check on those traps then it will make for some less entertaining games.

I guess I am just one of those "no harm, no foul" type of people. I think the players should be allowed to play the game. Someone mentioned bigger players having the advantage of bullying people around with their size. Smaller players should have the advantage over those bigger players with quickness and agility. It should all average out.

RE: MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - wkuhilltopperfan - 11-07-2013 12:19 PM

Teams that could be effected are teams such as Louisville , VCU and a few Belt ream Beed mentioned

RE: MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - GaStPanthers - 11-07-2013 01:54 PM

Fairness isn't really the issue for me. My issue is that the game will be prolonged and become boring with the additional stoppages of play. Also, there are reasons I don't watch the NBA, and the lack of any identifiable defense is one of them.

RE: MBB: Rules changes in [MBB] designed to reduce physical play, create offensive flow - Theflash - 11-07-2013 02:37 PM

You play defense with your feet. Using your hands to check is a foul. Always had been. Players will adjust.
Funny thing is Pitino is all for the enforcement of these OLD rules.