CSNbbs
Astrodome Memorial Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Astrodome Memorial Thread (/thread-658947.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Astrodome Memorial Thread - Almadenmike - 11-05-2013 11:24 PM

With today's rejection of Prop 2's $217 million bond package, it looks like the Astrodome is on a path toward demolition.

Has there been any talk of some sort of state or national historic building/architectural/engineering landmark status for the Astrodome? It would seem to be an incredible shame for it to be torn down ... but I can certainly understand local voters not wanting to bear the entire cost of its preservation/conversion.

That being said, it seems like it might be nice to have a memorial-type thread in which we list our special/personal Astrodome moments.

Of course, I have a few ... :-)

1) SRO watching Cassius Clay beat Ernie Terrell. (1967)

2) SRO watching Big-E (Elvin) Hayes lead UH Cougars over Lew Alcindor's UCLA Bruins. (1968)

3) Watching Rice play UH in football in the Astrodome ... and the MOB's halftime narration goes silent after jokes about it being the world's smallest indoor stadium etc. irritate Judge Roy Hofheinz, who lived in an apartment beyond the right-field wall. (1975)

4) Watching several baseball games in the Astrodome ... and looking at the bold, black Toy Cannon mark on that way-way-way-up upper/yellow-level seat where Jimmy Wynn had deposited a 450-foot home run in 1970.

5) Astrodome related: As the "precinct judge," helping an aging Judge Hofheinz get up from his wheelchair to a voting machine in the Precinct 223 voting place (the fire station at Fannin & S. Braeswood). (The Astrodome was in my precinct.) (1972)

I hope that the 'Dome can be saved somehow. But if not, you gave us many special memories.

Thanks to all the visionaries who had the audacity to create it.

Astrodome Memorial Thread - Pony94 - 11-05-2013 11:27 PM

Jose Cruz but said in the Astros announcers voice

RE: Astrodome Memorial Thread - grol - 11-05-2013 11:41 PM

1973: Watching a worker fall from the gondola -- not a favorite moment, but memorable.

RE: Astrodome Memorial Thread - Owl 69/70/75 - 11-05-2013 11:42 PM

Some personal high points

1) UH-UCLA basketball
2) Ryan's no-hitter
3) Dierker's no-hitter
4) First football game in dome, UH-Tulsa
5) UH-aTm football game in the middle of the night
6) Working on Gamblers' stat crew - Calling plays out of the stat booth in last game of the season for Gamblers, who were trying to set several individual stat records
7) MOB halftime announcer being shut down
8) Ali v. Cleveland Williams - stuck in traffic coming in, almost missed it
9) Attending Astros-Cardinals game in Astrodome as guests of Gene Elston - went down to visit Gene after the game, walked by Cardinals TV booth, Lou Brock took one look at my very pregnant wife and asked, "Are you going to have that baby right now?" Watching her almost pass out, as Brock was her favorite player growing up.
10) Watching Rice beat UH 35-7 in 1980, wearing my Rice letter sweater as part of the UH stat view, quite possibly the high point of the program for two decades

ETA: And how could I possibly forget, 0-0 for 23 innings, 1-0 in 24.

RE: Astrodome Memorial Thread - NYNightOwl - 11-05-2013 11:59 PM

Mike Scott no-hitter

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

RE: Astrodome Memorial Thread - texd - 11-06-2013 12:20 AM

Going to the Browns-Oilers game each of my 4 years at Rice with my (surprisingly large) group of Cleveland friends.

Wearing bags on our heads to see the Lastros in 1991 using our free Rice Ticket stubs (that they handed to you when you showed your student ID) to get in for free. Yes, the Astros were in such dire straits that they offered a promotion to attract attendees of Rice football games (to be fair, it was the Texas game). In fact it was Fan Appreciation Day as well, and a friend ended up winning a weekend stay at the Hotel Galvez.

RE: Astrodome Memorial Thread - Tiki Owl - 11-06-2013 12:32 AM

Opening night vs the Yankees. We had seats in the Loge which were originally a dark purple. We got to the Dome about 4:30 pm and walking up the ramps to the Loge Level opening the doors and feeling the cold air was amazing. With the overhang you couldn't see much right away but walking down a few steps it suddenly hit you. It absolutely rendered you speechless.

We had done some planning and had wanted to eat in one of the restaurants (who knew stadiums had restaurants...lol) which is one reason we tried for seats in the Loge Level since the Trailblazer was on that level.
http://www.cardcow.com/339282/astrodome-trailblazer-restaurant-houston-texas/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/edge_and_corner_wear/6012749291/
Even though we were one of the first in the restaurant it only meant we got our orders in early, by the time they started pushing food out it was chaos for the new staff. One of my family's closest friends was Catholic and this being Friday he had ordered fish. After waiting 45 minutes and seeing others get food we finally got the waitress to just bring us "anything". They put a plate of brisket in front of our family friend and we all sort of stopped and looked...he looked up, smiled, simply said "well I think the Pope will understand" and dug in.

As for the game what everyone wanted was an Astro HR so they could see the scoreboard. When the 6th or 7th rolled around the only HR was the one Mantle hit and LBJ was getting ready to leave so the Judge had them turn on the HR sequence on the scoreboard. For me the highlight was a PH single by Nellie Fox (who was and still is my baseball hero...the year before a friend and I went to the Surrey House Apts across South Main from the Dome and tried to find Nellie's apartment) to win the game in extra innings. The next day we went to the first day game vs the Orioles and the first public indication of the problems with the roof.

Like others there are other great Dome memories but for me the first game was still the ultimate. It's a shame and I feel the Texans and the Rodeo are ultimately holding the smoking gun. Neither wanted anything to do with the Dome since they already had their prize and with the Astros downtown there just wasn't anything to really rally around.

RE: Astrodome Memorial Thread - S.A. Owl - 11-06-2013 01:14 AM

(11-05-2013 11:42 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  10) Watching Rice beat UH 35-7 in 1980, quite possibly the high point of the program for two decades

I was going to list this one, as well. Also, just walking into the joint for the first time as a wide-eyed kid around 1968.

RE: Astrodome Memorial Thread - T-Moar - 11-06-2013 01:39 AM

I'd just like to say, as someone who's too young to have any memories of the Astrodome, I really appreciate this thread.

RE: Astrodome Memorial Thread - Fort Bend Owl - 11-06-2013 06:25 AM

When my brother was working in the media relations department there (with Rob Matwick and Chuck Pool), we were roommates and had one car between us. So I would have to occasionally pick him up from the Dome after the game when he was done working.

In June, 1989, the Astros were playing the Dodgers and the game went extra innings so after getting tired of waiting, I went to the Dome around midnight or so and get there perhaps in the 14th inning? The game ended up going 22 innings, was over at 2:50 in the morning and we left the building maybe at 4? That was the game that Fernando Valenzuela ended the game at 1st base.

The next day (or later that same day really), the two teams played another long extra innings game as I recall.

RE: Astrodome Memorial Thread - gsloth - 11-06-2013 08:04 AM

Not being a native, and not sticking around after graduation, and not being a huge baseball fan (nor having much spending money), I only went when the MOB went. So I got to see Rice lose 2 football games there, and I got to play at and watch the NBA All-Star Game (I think it was 89 or 90). The player tunnel was right next to the band, so I got to see them go in and out. I was definitely more of a basketball fan and knew the players.

RE: Astrodome Memorial Thread - georgewebb - 11-06-2013 08:17 AM

(11-06-2013 06:25 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  In June, 1989, the Astros were playing the Dodgers and the game went extra innings so after getting tired of waiting, I went to the Dome around midnight or so and get there perhaps in the 14th inning? The game ended up going 22 innings, was over at 2:50 in the morning and we left the building maybe at 4? That was the game that Fernando Valenzuela ended the game at 1st base.

The next day (or later that same day really), the two teams played another long extra innings game as I recall.

Yes, 22 innings in the Saturday night game, and 13 innings in the Sunday afternoon game -- and the Astros won both. I was at both games. That was 35 innings of baseball in less than 24 hours. I wasn't living in Houston at the time, but just happened to come into town that weekend to watch some baseball -- I certainly picked the right weekend.

RE: Astrodome Memorial Thread - JustAnotherAustinOwl - 11-06-2013 08:24 AM

(11-06-2013 12:20 AM)texd Wrote:  Going to the Browns-Oilers game each of my 4 years at Rice with my (surprisingly large) group of Cleveland friends.

Wearing bags on our heads to see the Lastros in 1991 using our free Rice Ticket stubs (that they handed to you when you showed your student ID) to get in for free. Yes, the Astros were in such dire straits that they offered a promotion to attract attendees of Rice football games (to be fair, it was the Texas game). In fact it was Fan Appreciation Day as well, and a friend ended up winning a weekend stay at the Hotel Galvez.

Ha, I thought I was the only Browns fan here. I had a coworker last year upon finding out I was a Browns fan tell me "Oh, I've never actually met a real Browns fan before" like it was a notable occasion and she was going go write it in her diary.

RE: Astrodome Memorial Thread - JustAnotherAustinOwl - 11-06-2013 08:26 AM

Saw The Who there sophomore year; Pete Townsend impaled his hand on his guitar or something and they had to cut the set short.

RE: Astrodome Memorial Thread - d1owls4life - 11-06-2013 08:34 AM

I went to so many Astros games with a close friend of mine growing up that had season tickets 6 rows back from the Astros dugouts. Lots of great memories of games. Vividly remember our sprint from the concourse to the players' parking lot to get autographs. One of my greatest sports memories was getting my Craig Biggio rookie card signed outside that parking lot. It was sometime between midnight and 1 am and the Astros had just lost an extra inning game to the Mets I believe, the winning run scoring on a Biggio error. My friend and I sprinted to our usual spot, but knew the chances of players signing wasn't great because of how late it was and the fact they lost. One player after another left and then Biggio drove up in this huge truck. He stopped, looked down at us, hopped out of his truck, and proceeded to sign something for everyone there. When he was finished and everyone was thanking him, he turned and said "No, thank you" and drove off.

On the flip side, I was there for the Oilers preseason game that got cancelled because of issues with turf. Bizarre scene.

RE: Astrodome Memorial Thread - texd - 11-06-2013 09:26 AM

(11-06-2013 08:26 AM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  Saw The Who there sophomore year; Pete Townsend impaled his hand on his guitar or something and they had to cut the set short.

Totally forgot the Biggest Party in History. Dehydrated music festival outside the stadium all day followed by Fab Tbirds, SRV, and The Who inside that night. My buddy and I were 16 and remarkably our parents let us drive ourselves there from Lufkin and then drive to New Braunfels the next day to catch up with my family' Labor Day trip. Got my second speeding ticket of the summer on I10 that next day.

RE: Astrodome Memorial Thread - Hambone10 - 11-06-2013 09:30 AM

My favorites were

Scott's No Hitter
The Jackson 5
Monsters of Rock
Beating UH in 1980, 86 and 94
and a personal favorite, warming up the friday before and running a 2 minute drill to a field goal (typical run through drill) but we were bobbling catches etc... dropped the last pass... no yard markers... ball hung in the air in what felt like forever through that dead air before going through... Keith Irwin grabbing me as I jogged off the field... "you have any idea how long that was?? 62

RE: Astrodome Memorial Thread - JSA - 11-06-2013 10:01 AM

Took the Dome tour with my family and went to AstroWorld in 1970 when my brother started classes.
Went to the first two games of the 1986 NLCS.

During the season you could park, get a mezzanine level ticket, and a hot dog and coke and get change from a $20.

RE: Astrodome Memorial Thread - JSA - 11-06-2013 10:04 AM

(11-05-2013 11:27 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  Jose Cruz but said in the Astros announcers voice

Jose Cruuuuuuuuuuuuuz.

He said the first time he heard it from the crowd, he thought they were booing him.

RE: Astrodome Memorial Thread - I45owl - 11-06-2013 10:31 AM

(11-05-2013 11:42 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  ETA: And how could I possibly forget, 0-0 for 23 innings, 1-0 in 24.

(11-06-2013 08:17 AM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(11-06-2013 06:25 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  In June, 1989, the Astros were playing the Dodgers and the game went extra innings so after getting tired of waiting, I went to the Dome around midnight or so and get there perhaps in the 14th inning? The game ended up going 22 innings, was over at 2:50 in the morning and we left the building maybe at 4? That was the game that Fernando Valenzuela ended the game at 1st base.

Yes, 22 innings in the Saturday night game, and 13 innings in the Sunday afternoon game -- and the Astros won both. I was at both games. That was 35 innings of baseball in less than 24 hours. I wasn't living in Houston at the time, but just happened to come into town that weekend to watch some baseball -- I certainly picked the right weekend.

Who was it, Kevin Bass, that seemed to foul off about 8 pitches on a full count before getting some kind of positive result out of it? (note, I watched that game on TV)

I think it was Nolan Ryan's final game there that I saw him just walk off the mound and go straight to the dugout in about the 2nd inning, obviously having some sort of physical problem and no need to talk to the coaches or anyone else about it.

I spent time at the Astrodome watching Rice, Astros, and Oilers, but I can't really single out one memory above the others.
Texas Jam was probably the first time I'd been there, as a senior in high school. Roger Waters and Pink Floyd (separately) were probably the best concerts I went to there.

My grandparents were there for the opening.