CSNbbs
ECU and the SEC - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC Conference Talk (/forum-246.html)
+---- Thread: ECU and the SEC (/thread-6580.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: ECU and the SEC - vandiver49 - 05-10-2013 01:16 PM

(05-10-2013 12:46 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  
(05-10-2013 12:39 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  JR, while I'd like WVU in the SEC, if all the GOR hold (and they will b/c no conference will want to face the legal challenge) then I think #15 becomes the equivalent of what #12 was for the B1G, a way to get (or in the SEC's case, increase) an internal playoff. As such, the 15th school doesn't need to be a home run. It's this scenario that I could see ECU getting into the SEC due to the lack of available options and potential revenue windfall from two semi-final games.

As for how to break them up: I envision more of a West, Central, East split and try to give each division access to a major recruiting state.

W: A&M, Ark, Mizzou, LSU, Ole Miss
C: Bama, Auburn, UGA, MS State, UT
E: UF, SCAR, Vandy, UK, #15

I think UF, and UGA are interchangeable but otherwise I think these divisions have the balance you are looking for without the potential dominance of any one school.

BBB: you are correct that you would need caveats but I think it could be far simpler than what you described since I think at worst we are talking about a 6-7 or 7-7 final records. I think that if you could stipulate that the division winner must have a winning record to host SEC Semi game. Otherwise, the position flip and the wild card team gets to host Semi.

You can run, but you can't hide from ECU to SEC.

I just find it to be an intriguing proposition. Don't get me wrong, I really would prefer WVU (actually, I really want VT but that's not going to happen) and I just think two 7 teams divisions is too cumbersome. Is ECU what Slive wants? Of course not, but this move falls into 'the 10% of something beats 100% of nothing' decision matrix.

The SEC in the state of NC is the equivalent of of the golden ticket for the Pirates. Recruits would flock to the school from across the state and also from the Tidewater VA area. Match-ups between SCAR and UT in Charlotte would drive up demand for Pirate football across the Piedmont. While not the academic windfall of a UNC, it would be the kind of middle finger move the SEC is known for. No different than when Roy Kramer first proposed the SEC championship game.

Unfortunately, I think UNC and NCSU both realize the potential of such a gift and as such would probably prevent ECU from accepting the invite via the Univ System governance that all NC state schools fall under. If ECU were denied, who would the SEC turn to Cincinnati or just wait for the B12 GOR to expire?

RE: ECU and the SEC - bigblueblindness - 05-10-2013 01:28 PM

(05-10-2013 01:16 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(05-10-2013 12:39 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  JR, while I'd like WVU in the SEC, if all the GOR hold (and they will b/c no conference will want to face the legal challenge) then I think #15 becomes the equivalent of what #12 was for the B1G, a way to get (or in the SEC's case, increase) an internal playoff. As such, the 15th school doesn't need to be a home run. It's this scenario that I could see ECU getting into the SEC due to the lack of available options and potential revenue windfall from two semi-final games.

As for how to break them up: I envision more of a West, Central, East split and try to give each division access to a major recruiting state.

I think UF, and UGA are interchangeable but otherwise I think these divisions have the balance you are looking for without the potential dominance of any one school.

BBB: you are correct that you would need caveats but I think it could be far simpler than what you described since I think at worst we are talking about a 6-7 or 7-7 final records. I think that if you could stipulate that the division winner must have a winning record to host SEC Semi game. Otherwise, the position flip and the wild card team gets to host Semi.

I just find it to be an intriguing proposition. Don't get me wrong, I really would prefer WVU (actually, I really want VT but that's not going to happen) and I just think two 7 teams divisions is too cumbersome. Is ECU what Slive wants? Of course not, but this move falls into 'the 10% of something beats 100% of nothing' decision matrix.

The SEC in the state of NC is the equivalent of of the golden ticket for the Pirates. Recruits would flock to the school from across the state and also from the Tidewater VA area. Match-ups between SCAR and UT in Charlotte would drive up demand for Pirate football across the Piedmont. While not the academic windfall of a UNC, it would be the kind of middle finger move the SEC is known for. No different than when Roy Kramer first proposed the SEC championship game.

Unfortunately, I think UNC and NCSU both realize the potential of such a gift and as such would probably prevent ECU from accepting the invite via the Univ System governance that all NC state schools fall under. If ECU were denied, who would the SEC turn to Cincinnati or just wait for the B12 GOR to expire?

First of all, the city of Wilmington would secede from North Carolina if the state government prevented ECU to the SEC because it would be utter ridiculousness. Second, it was discussed recently on the realignment board, but ECU needs to jump about 75 academic spots, double their revenue and become an athletic equivalent to UNC and NCSU, and rename their university to get rid of the "directional" and live up to that name (become a North Carolina version of an "A&M" or "Tech") for the SEC to even reply. Not trying to belittle ECU, because they are striving to be their best, but there is a long way to go. Believe me, most SEC fans want North Carolina back in the fold, just not at the expense of downgrading what we have going.

RE: ECU and the SEC - USAFMEDIC - 05-10-2013 02:58 PM

(05-10-2013 01:28 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  

First of all, the city of Wilmington would secede from North Carolina if the state government prevented ECU to the SEC because it would be utter ridiculousness. Second, it was discussed recently on the realignment board, but ECU needs to jump about 75 academic spots, double their revenue and become an athletic equivalent to UNC and NCSU, and rename their university to get rid of the "directional" and live up to that name (become a North Carolina version of an "A&M" or "Tech") for the SEC to even reply. Not trying to belittle ECU, because they are striving to be their best, but there is a long way to go. Believe me, most SEC fans want North Carolina back in the fold, just not at the expense of downgrading what we have going.
I think, like UCF and USF, ECU might be smaller for a few years, but would grow like hell if invited into the SEC. They would probably out-recruit all the other NC schools... Long term investment. it's looking increasingly like the SEC/ B1G prestige ticket is not buying much now.

RE: ECU and the SEC - JRsec - 05-10-2013 04:07 PM

I don't disagree with what you said there Vandiver, but my insinuation was that the Big 12 could wave the GOR by vote for W.V.U. if they can't or don't take Cincy or UConn in expansion. I believe I noted B.Y.U., U.S.F., and perhaps C.S.U. which would be +3 -1= 12 for the Big 12 and then they have no travel difficulties to Morgantown and the Mountaineers would be free to join the SEC. Otherwise the GOR is a problem. There was an implication at the time WVU joined the Big 12 that they would receive consideration for closer competition should the Big 12 expand. Louisville was the idea at the time. Now that the WVU is truly on an island perhaps an amicable solution would be best for the Big 12 and WVU. That was what I was trying to convey in fewer words.

RE: ECU and the SEC - vandiver49 - 05-10-2013 08:20 PM

(05-10-2013 04:07 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

I don't disagree with what you said there Vandiver, but my insinuation was that the Big 12 could wave the GOR by vote for W.V.U. if they can't or don't take Cincy or UConn in expansion. I believe I noted B.Y.U., U.S.F., and perhaps C.S.U. which would be +3 -1= 12 for the Big 12 and then they have no travel difficulties to Morgantown and the Mountaineers would be free to join the SEC. Otherwise the GOR is a problem. There was an implication at the time WVU joined the Big 12 that they would receive consideration for closer competition should the Big 12 expand. Louisville was the idea at the time. Now that the WVU is truly on an island perhaps an amicable solution would be best for the Big 12 and WVU. That was what I was trying to convey in fewer words.

JR, I didn't mean to appear obtuse regarding your suggestion, I understood what you were saying. I was just unaware of any promises the B12 made to WVU regarding 'travel partners'. I was always under the impression that WVU to the B12 was a marriage of convenience as the Mountaineers were the one BE school will to burn down the BE house and join the B12 as a 10 team conference.

And while the decision not to invite Cinci and L'ville could be considered a breach of contract, I don't see why the B12 would be incline to trade the Mountaineers for USF, BYU or CSU. FOX/ESPN know that WVU provide a value that exceeds that of any of the other 3 school you listed.

RE: ECU and the SEC - JRsec - 05-10-2013 08:40 PM

(05-10-2013 08:20 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(05-10-2013 04:07 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

JR, I didn't mean to appear obtuse regarding your suggestion, I understood what you were saying. I was just unaware of any promises the B12 made to WVU regarding 'travel partners'. I was always under the impression that WVU to the B12 was a marriage of convenience as the Mountaineers were the one BE school will to burn down the BE house and join the B12 as a 10 team conference.

And while the decision not to invite Cinci and L'ville could be considered a breach of contract, I don't see why the B12 would be incline to trade the Mountaineers for USF, BYU or CSU. FOX/ESPN know that WVU provide a value that exceeds that of any of the other 3 school you listed.

I don't think it was contractual as much as it was implied and repeated. The only reasons they would give them up is the travel. If they are truly on an island and Brigham Young would be much more convenient, especially with the addition of the Rams, then why not make the move. It would basically be a trade off. As for FOX & ESPN, FOX would be the one to object as ESPN would own them more fully in the SEC and in a conference where the content value on W.V.U. would be even higher.

But it's going to be moot anyway. If Texas doesn't want to expand the Big 12 it is because they have designs on another arrangement.

And sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that you were obtuse, I was just afraid that I was too understated upon reviewing my post.

If the Big 12 is raided it will take 8 to dissolve the conference and grant of rights. While a tall order it is doable for the Big 10, SEC, and PAC to do in concert, and in the interest of the ACC for them to provide some help if necessary.

If the Big 12 does expand then I really do think that any further raiding by the Power 5 against one another is over. We'll see soon enough.

RE: ECU and the SEC - vandiver49 - 05-10-2013 08:46 PM

(05-10-2013 02:58 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

I think, like UCF and USF, ECU might be smaller for a few years, but would grow like hell if invited into the SEC. They would probably out-recruit all the other NC schools... Long term investment. it's looking increasingly like the SEC/ B1G prestige ticket is not buying much now.

BBB, is ECU's position any different than Ark and SCAR back in 1992. What about the compared to the MS schools? UAB is rank ahead of UAT, should the SEC invite the Blazers to the conference. (of course not) I am not trying to mock you for bringing up the academic rankings, just that they are simply an advertizing mechanism at best and a means elitism in academia at worst.

People like to mock WVU for the near universal acceptance for in-state residents, but honestly they are performing their mission far better than GT, UNC or UVA. That's why I refer to it as 'academic perception'.

And to USAFMEDIC's point, who else is available to help resolve the scheduling nightmare coming down the road with a 9 game conference sked and two 7 team divisions? Teams like Auburn ardently care for UGA/Auburn but a 6-2 format may very well be the thing that break the last two traditional rivalries in the SEC. This will even be detrimental to the MS who will see their frequency of visit to FL and GA plummet.

It has been speculated that the reason expansion to 16 died is because both the B1G and the SEC both wanted UNC and UVA. The window of ACC instability proved to be brief as Swofford did what no thought possible; made his conference stronger after losing a founding member. The additions of ND and L'ville placated the football first schools, allowed ESPN to plus up the TV revenue and provided the basis for and ACC GOR. So will the SEC deal with a decade of scheduling woes or swallow a bitter pill?

RE: ECU and the SEC - JRsec - 05-10-2013 08:58 PM

(05-10-2013 08:46 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(05-10-2013 12:46 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  You can run, but you can't hide from ECU to SEC.

BBB, is ECU's position any different than Ark and SCAR back in 1992. What about the compared to the MS schools? UAB is rank ahead of UAT, should the SEC invite the Blazers to the conference. (of course not) I am not trying to mock you for bringing up the academic rankings, just that they are simply an advertizing mechanism at best and a means elitism in academia at worst.

People like to mock WVU for the near universal acceptance for in-state residents, but honestly they are performing their mission far better than GT, UNC or UVA. That's why I refer to it as 'academic perception'.

And to USAFMEDIC's point, who else is available to help resolve the scheduling nightmare coming down the road with a 9 game conference sked and two 7 team divisions? Teams like Auburn ardently care for UGA/Auburn but a 6-2 format may very well be the thing that break the last two traditional rivalries in the SEC. This will even be detrimental to the MS who will see their frequency of visit to FL and GA plummet.

It has been speculated that the reason expansion to 16 died is because both the B1G and the SEC both wanted UNC and UVA. The window of ACC instability proved to be brief as Swofford did what no thought possible; made his conference stronger after losing a founding member. The additions of ND and L'ville placated the football first schools, allowed ESPN to plus up the TV revenue and provided the basis for and ACC GOR. So will the SEC deal with a decade of scheduling woes or swallow a bitter pill?

E.C.U. wouldn't be a bitter pill but who do you put with them? Cincinnati, South Florida, or do we go for someone a bit more unusual and if so who?

RE: ECU and the SEC - USAFMEDIC - 05-10-2013 09:37 PM

(05-10-2013 08:58 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-10-2013 08:46 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(05-10-2013 01:16 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  I just find it to be an intriguing proposition. Don't get me wrong, I really would prefer WVU (actually, I really want VT but that's not going to happen) and I just think two 7 teams divisions is too cumbersome. Is ECU what Slive wants? Of course not, but this move falls into 'the 10% of something beats 100% of nothing' decision matrix.

E.C.U. wouldn't be a bitter pill but who do you put with them? Cincinnati, South Florida, or do we go for someone a bit more unusual and if so who?
Bit, on another thread, explained the reasons for the WVU universal in-state admission policies. I cannot really remember the complete reasons, but it made perfect sense. They specialize in educating the state's students on things that pertain to West Virginia almost exclusively like mining/minerals. In short, they are meeting the needs of their own people.

RE: ECU and the SEC - He1nousOne - 05-10-2013 09:38 PM

If ECU is to be had and you want 16 teams for four team groupings whether they be pods or divisions then it depends upon what you would want from your divisions. A division in the northern portion of the footprint? Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky and? That is why WVU would fit in so well. They would help strengthen that division in football where as any other additions and Missouri might have to be placed in that division.

SMU in the West to go with the two powerhouses of LSU and A&M as well as the strong program of Arkansas? A team they regularly beat and playing in Dallas every other year that way?

RE: ECU and the SEC - JRsec - 05-10-2013 10:14 PM

(05-10-2013 09:38 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  If ECU is to be had and you want 16 teams for four team groupings whether they be pods or divisions then it depends upon what you would want from your divisions. A division in the northern portion of the footprint? Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky and? That is why WVU would fit in so well. They would help strengthen that division in football where as any other additions and Missouri might have to be placed in that division.

SMU in the West to go with the two powerhouses of LSU and A&M as well as the strong program of Arkansas? A team they regularly beat and playing in Dallas every other year that way?

Personally He1nous I don't think we will take anyone if the Big 12 isn't involved. I just don't see the SEC taking any team that is not clearly one of the top two of their state. In other words if they can't deliver the whole state's market they aren't getting in. O.S.U. and W.V.U., K.S.U. and W.V.U., O.U. and W.V.U. all fit that bill, as does Texas and W.V.U. but I don't see that one happening. In the end I doubt seriously that the SEC would take S.M.U., Houston, T.C.U., or Baylor (although Baylor might be the only one of those who could pull it off). I also don't see us taking South Florida or East Carolina. I just wouldn't refer to ECU as a bitter pill. They do come from a new state and they average almost 55,000 per game in attendance and that's more than you can say for T.C.U., Houston, S.M.U., and South Florida (although the Bulls have good attendance).

RE: ECU and the SEC - He1nousOne - 05-11-2013 12:16 AM

Well, if that is what it came to then I think your ideal combo would be Oklahoma and West Virginia. Your most likely combo would be Oklahoma State and West Virginia. KSU being the back up to OSU should they somehow go out West instead or incase WVU for some reason went with the ACC instead although I cant fathom why they would.

North
Tennessee
West Virginia
Kentucky
Missouri

West
LSU
Arkansas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma State

Central
Alabama
Vanderbilt
Ole Miss
Miss State

East
Florida
Georgia
Auburn
South Carolina

RE: ECU and the SEC - Gamecock - 05-11-2013 12:18 AM

(05-09-2013 11:00 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(05-09-2013 10:39 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(05-09-2013 08:18 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(05-08-2013 11:00 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Until we get to 16 Bama just needs to relax and let Auburn move to the East and Missouri to the West. 9 conference games with two permanent rivals might get that done. We'll see.

Bama can relax with the current arrangement for right now. I think we need to see whether or not Mizzou in the East is a determent to the schools' integration into the SEC or if they need the western rival to gin up the necessary fan interest.

I've previously mentioned that there are only two permanent cross division rivals that matter, UT/Bama and UGA/Auburn. There is nothing stopping the other 10 schools to schedule however they desire while leaving these two games intact.

Bama can relax because this year they are looking at playing the easiest schedule in the SEC. But LSU and Florida are tired of having to play each other every year just so Alabama can play Tennessee every year.

I agree. But nothing says that has to remain the two schools rival. Fo instance, let UF play A&M and LSU could play Mizzou. Next year it would be different. All I'm suggesting is that the other ten teams figure it out.

THIS.

At the very least, lets swap it every few years. We played Arkansas yearly, now we are about to play A&M. In say 5 years lets swap it to LSU. Then maybe Miss State

RE: ECU and the SEC - Indiana Bones - 05-11-2013 01:06 AM

ECU & WVU would be the combo. They have a long history with one another. They are already scheduled to renew their home and home series in a couple years. They both make geographic sense. More importantly, WV AD Oliver Luck has already been politicking to get ECU into the BIG XII.

Notwithstanding ECUs "directional school" stigma, its saving grace is the fact that it is the only football first program in its state. No other ostensibly available candidate has that going for it & that is huge. If invited to the SEC one could imagine the growth potential. Just consider the fact that despite being relegated to C-USA, ECU has consistently competed with the other NC BCS programs in terms of football prowess and fan support. In fact, ECU has the best fan support in the state for football. That puts ECU in a class of its own over other prospects.

ECU & WVU would put the SEC in two new states and ECU would own NC. It would be a national anomaly that would increase scrutiny. People would intrinsically be intrigued to see if ECU could rise up to the competition. The combination of a rabid fan base & SEC status would allow ECU to grow exponentially.

Remember ECU beat the Gamecocks 4 out of 5x in the 90s before SC got acclimated to the SEC. Moreover, ECU held a 4-3 advantage over VT in the 90s before the Hokies upgraded to a power conference. The point is, ECU could follow the same blue print as those two regional rivals and be just as successful.

All of the other D-1 schools in NC are basketball schools. If the SEC added ECU & WVU it would devastate the ACC, particularly the NC schools. Granted, I have a vested interest in it and I do recognize that it's still unlikely at this point but objectively it really is a good fit despite the perception issue. The SEC is strong enough to play with house money and take a chance on ECU. Football still runs the show & that is why ECU has a shot.

RE: ECU and the SEC - USAFMEDIC - 05-11-2013 01:16 AM

(05-11-2013 01:06 AM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  ECU & WVU would be the combo. They have a long history with one another. They are already scheduled to renew their home and home series in a couple years. They both make geographic sense. More importantly, WV AD Oliver Luck has already been politicking to get ECU into the BIG XII.

Notwithstanding ECUs "directional school" stigma, its saving grace is the fact that it is the only football first program in its state. No other ostensibly available candidate has that going for it & that is huge. If invited to the SEC one could imagine the growth potential. Just consider the fact that despite being relegated to C-USA, ECU has consistently competed with the other NC BCS programs in terms of football prowess and fan support. In fact, ECU has the best fan support in the state for football. That puts ECU in a class of its own over other prospects.

ECU & WVU would put the SEC in two new states and ECU would own NC. It would be a national anomaly that would increase scrutiny. People would intrinsically be intrigued to see if ECU could rise up to the competition. The combination of a rabid fan base & SEC status would allow ECU to grow exponentially.

Remember ECU beat the Gamecocks 4 out of 5x in the 90s before SC got acclimated to the SEC. Moreover, ECU held a 4-3 advantage over VT in the 90s before the Hokies upgraded to a power conference. The point is, ECU could follow the same blue print as those two regional rivals and be just as successful.

All of the other D-1 schools in NC are basketball schools. If the SEC added ECU & WVU it would devastate the ACC, particularly the NC schools. Granted, I have a vested interest in it and I do recognize that it's still unlikely at this point but objectively it really is a good fit despite the perception issue. The SEC is strong enough to play with house money and take a chance on ECU. Football still runs the show & that is why ECU has a shot.
I tend to agree with you. These conferences are going to have to think outside the box and see the future. Same goes for USF and UCF... lots of future potential. There are some mighty small programs in these P5 conferences right now...

RE: ECU and the SEC - vandiver49 - 05-11-2013 02:59 AM

(05-10-2013 10:14 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-10-2013 09:38 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  If ECU is to be had and you want 16 teams for four team groupings whether they be pods or divisions then it depends upon what you would want from your divisions. A division in the northern portion of the footprint? Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky and? That is why WVU would fit in so well. They would help strengthen that division in football where as any other additions and Missouri might have to be placed in that division.

Personally He1nous I don't think we will take anyone if the Big 12 isn't involved. I just don't see the SEC taking any team that is not clearly one of the top two of their state. In other words if they can't deliver the whole state's market they aren't getting in. O.S.U. and W.V.U., K.S.U. and W.V.U., O.U. and W.V.U. all fit that bill, as does Texas and W.V.U. but I don't see that one happening. In the end I doubt seriously that the SEC would take S.M.U., Houston, T.C.U., or Baylor (although Baylor might be the only one of those who could pull it off). I also don't see us taking South Florida or East Carolina. I just wouldn't refer to ECU as a bitter pill. They do come from a new state and they average almost 55,000 per game in attendance and that's more than you can say for T.C.U., Houston, S.M.U., and South Florida (although the Bulls have good attendance).

It would be bitter from the POV of schools like UGA and UF who want to try and improve the academic reputation of the SEC. Its one of the reasons I think Mizzou was picked over WVU. The Tigers AAU status coupled with the potential TV sets for the SEC Network were simply too good to pass up.

RE: ECU and the SEC - Zombiewoof - 05-11-2013 03:14 AM

(05-11-2013 02:59 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

It would be bitter from the POV of schools like UGA and UF who want to try and improve the academic reputation of the SEC. Its one of the reasons I think Mizzou was picked over WVU. The Tigers AAU status coupled with the potential TV sets for the SEC Network were simply too good to pass up.

I think you are right vandiver. There would likely be enough opposition to ECU to keep them out despite their popular support. IMHO, ECU falls so low in the pecking order that they are really not a legitimate candidate. For ECU to get an invitation, the SEC would have to strongly want to get into North Carolina and UNC, NCSU and Duke would have to decline. Additionally, the SEC would have to want to get into the North Carolina market more than adding "more attractive" candidates in Virginia, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, West Virginia and maybe even Pennsylvania.

RE: ECU and the SEC - JRsec - 05-11-2013 05:10 AM

(05-11-2013 03:14 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  

I think you are right vandiver. There would likely be enough opposition to ECU to keep them out despite their popular support. IMHO, ECU falls so low in the pecking order that they are really not a legitimate candidate. For ECU to get an invitation, the SEC would have to strongly want to get into North Carolina and UNC, NCSU and Duke would have to decline. Additionally, the SEC would have to want to get into the North Carolina market more than adding "more attractive" candidates in Virginia, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, West Virginia and maybe even Pennsylvania.

Good to see you on the SEC board Zombiewoof.

RE: ECU and the SEC - USAFMEDIC - 05-11-2013 11:09 AM

(05-11-2013 03:14 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  

Yep. From a pure fan-base, football side of things I think ECU would grow rapidly and end up fitting well. That was the point behind my "thinking outside the box" comment. I agree that academics seems to be an SEC initiative right now. I think the five SEC AAU schools will now start working together, as the B1G does now, to better organize the conference in order to obtain grants, etc. A&M and Missouri gave them two more AAU schools, and you are correct...lots of TVs. We may never see another SEC invite that does not involve superior academics. Hopefully, the other schools see this trend and will make efforts to upgrade academic status. That said, I am not knocking anyone, as universities all bring great specialties to the table, and I have stated that many times to my B1G friends...

RE: ECU and the SEC - LSUtah - 05-11-2013 04:50 PM

Work hard on improving the brand. You never know....in 10 years may be a good addition to partner with WVU when the Big12 finally implodes.