CSNbbs
CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package (/thread-652369.html)

Pages: 1 2

CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - PurpleReigns - 10-01-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:Source

[via press release from CBS Sports Network]

CBS SPORTS NETWORK ADDED TO TIME WARNER CABLE'S WIDELY DISTRIBUTED DIGITAL TV PACKAGE BEGINNING TODAY

CBS Sports Network, the 24-hour cable sports network from CBS Sports, is now more widely distributed to Time Warner Cable customers. CBS Sports Network has been added to Time Warner Cable's DTV-Digital TV package on most systems, beginning today.

CBS Sports Network is now seen in over 53 million homes and is available to more than 99 million households across the country. In the last 12 months, the Network has experienced a +18% distribution increase, representing more than seven million additional subscribers.

CBS Sports Network airs more than 400 live games annually, showcasing an array of men's and women's sports, as well as in-depth studio shows, documentaries and original programs. CBS Sports Network is highlighted by college sports with over 50 college football games and 200 college basketball games this season, complemented by week-long studio programming.

CBS Sports network also provides extensive shoulder programming around CBS Sports' Championship events, including the Super Bowl, The Masters, PGA Championship and US Open Tennis Championships.

CBS Sports Network's in-depth football studio programming is highlighted by the weekly shows NFL MONDAY QB and THAT OTHER PREGAME SHOW, the Network's new fan-focused Sunday pregame show, as well as INSIDE COLLEGE FOOTBALL. Weekday sports news and commentary shows include ROME (6:00 PM, ET) and LEAD OFF (12:00 AM, ET).

For more information, go to http://www.cbssportsnetwork.com.

RE: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - Attackcoog - 10-01-2013 05:56 PM

Surprising that being added to the Time-Warner digital package made such a small difference. I would have thought that addition would have been worth more than just 2-3 million subscribers. According to the this article they had around 50 million in August--so it wasn't much of a bump.

As one would expect, this means CBS Sports Network lags far behind the competition in ratings and distribution. The cable channel is only in approximately 50 million homes, compared to 100 million for ESPN and ESPN2 and 80 million for NBCSN.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/august/can-cbs-sports-network-become-a-sports-media-player.html

RE: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - adcorbett - 10-01-2013 05:59 PM

That's a nice bonus. I had the Sports Pack (to get NFL Redzone) on TWC, but now it looks like I can cancel it come mid- December.

That said I think the reason it added so few is many don't have that package. It's more "widely distribute," but not that much more.

RE: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - CougarRed - 10-01-2013 06:22 PM

(10-01-2013 05:48 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  In the last 12 months, the Network has experienced a +18% distribution increase, representing more than seven million additional subscribers.

This is the key. They were at 46M last year. Now they are 53M. It looks like they are working hard on expanding their distribution.

Maybe Nielsen will start to track their games soon.

RE: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - PurpleReigns - 10-01-2013 06:33 PM

(10-01-2013 06:22 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  
(10-01-2013 05:48 PM)PurpleReigns2012 Wrote:  In the last 12 months, the Network has experienced a +18% distribution increase, representing more than seven million additional subscribers.

This is the key. They were at 46M last year. Now they are 53M. It looks like they are working hard on expanding their distribution.

CBS Sports Network would have to pay Nielson for them to track their ratings.

RE: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - Crimsonelf - 10-01-2013 06:37 PM

Wonder how much this had to do w/ the addition of a fair amount of 'Murcain basketball? I'd think so, w/ Ville, Uconn, Natti & Memphis, not to mention Temple, maybe Houston, U_F's... 04-rock

RE: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - PurpleReigns - 10-01-2013 06:40 PM

(10-01-2013 06:37 PM)Crimsonelf Wrote:  Wonder how much this had to do w/ the addition of a fair amount of 'Murcain basketball? I'd think so, w/ Ville, Uconn, Natti & Memphis, not to mention Temple, maybe Houston, U_F's... 04-rock

Or this was apart of the contract negotiations that took CBS suite off TWC for a month?

RE: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - UCBearcat4ever - 10-01-2013 09:08 PM

Good News, was hoping TW would add it since the new deal was announced. Cant wait to watch American games on there

RE: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - stever20 - 10-02-2013 07:59 AM

(10-01-2013 06:37 PM)Crimsonelf Wrote:  Wonder how much this had to do w/ the addition of a fair amount of 'Murcain basketball? I'd think so, w/ Ville, Uconn, Natti & Memphis, not to mention Temple, maybe Houston, U_F's... 04-rock

I think between that and the Big East games they just put on there- a lot quite frankly! I mean I think they added like 50-60 games.

RE: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - bearcatlawjd - 10-02-2013 08:04 AM

CBSSN is going to have a heck of a college basketball schedule this season. They have 25 American games and 20 Big East games this season.

Edit: I think you can also find Mountain West games on there too.

RE: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - CommuterBob - 10-02-2013 08:23 AM

Being added to the digital pack is still a far cry from being added to basic cable. And a lot of folks (like me) already paid for the sports pack to get it because it's cheap and I get a lot of other great sports channels with it (NFL Network, NBA Network, MLB Network, NFL RedZone, ESPN Goal Line, Fox RSNs, FS2, etc.).

RE: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - KnightLight - 10-02-2013 08:30 AM

That's certainly a good start...and good news for those with games on CBS Sports Network.

RE: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - Attackcoog - 10-02-2013 08:37 AM

(10-02-2013 08:30 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

That's certainly a good start...and good news for those with games on CBS Sports Network.

If they can keep up that growth rate, they would be similar to ESPN-U in subscribers within 2 years.

RE: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - adcorbett - 10-02-2013 09:11 AM

(10-02-2013 08:23 AM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Being added to the digital pack is still a far cry from being added to basic cable. And a lot of folks (like me) already paid for the sports pack to get it because it's cheap and I get a lot of other great sports channels with it (NFL Network, NBA Network, MLB Network, NFL RedZone, ESPN Goal Line, Fox RSNs, FS2, etc.).

Just so you know the NBA Network and NFL Network come without the Sports Package. I think MLB too (I never really watched though). You get them on the package with Big Ten Network and I think ESPNU. But you do need it for Redzone (best channel for the $ IMO), CBS Sports, FS2, and the PAC 12 Network. . I did not know it included goal line too though. I may have to check it out.

RE: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - Miami (Oh) Yeah ! - 10-02-2013 11:05 AM

Who is the big fish out there that still doesn't include CBS Sports Network with the others like NBC Sports Network??

So CBSSN is at 53 million and I believe the big carriers look like this:

Comcast 22 Million
DirecTV 20 Million
Dish 18 Million
Time Warner 12 Million (14 Milllion if you include Bright House)
Then a bunch at 4 million like VerizonFios, ATT, Charter, Cox, etc...
MediaCom, Suddenlink, etc 1 million...

So who is still the holdout to push CBSSN up next to Fox, ESPN, and NBCSN? DirecTV?, Dish, Comcast??? Its not TWC.

I actually think CBSSN is WAY BETTER than NBCSN so why do they not get the same coverage?

CBSSN has a ton of College Football and Basketball that NBCSN does NOT have. C-USA, AAC, MWC is all on CBSSN that NBCSN doesnt have. The only college football and basketball that NBCSN has is Colonial Athletic and Atlantic 10 (both conferences on the decline by raiding and future raiding). NHL games are the only positive I see of NBCSN over CBSSN.

When Aresco said he would only allow sub-license of AAC games to channels with 85 million+ subscribers as is the case with ESPN selling games to CBSSN, does that mean we can expect CBSSN in the next few months to land another big fish like Comcast or Dish that has 20 million more subscribers to add to CBSSN now 53 million?

RE: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - stever20 - 10-02-2013 11:19 AM

I think the NHL is a huge difference- though I would add MLS and the Premier League. Soccer is big.

I think the biggest difference though is the Olympics.

Also, up until 2-3 months ago, CBSSN didn't have AAC or Big East. CBSSN with just C-USA and MWC not all that great. Now it's got a lot more meat on their bones- and you'll see the gap close quickly I think.

RE: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - Attackcoog - 10-02-2013 11:32 AM

(10-02-2013 11:05 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  Who is the big fish out there that still doesn't include CBS Sports Network with the others like NBC Sports Network??

So CBSSN is at 53 million and I believe the big carriers look like this:

Comcast 22 Million
DirecTV 20 Million
Dish 18 Million
Time Warner 12 Million (14 Milllion if you include Bright House)
Then a bunch at 4 million like VerizonFios, ATT, Charter, Cox, etc...
MediaCom, Suddenlink, etc 1 million...

So who is still the holdout to push CBSSN up next to Fox, ESPN, and NBCSN? DirecTV?, Dish, Comcast??? Its not TWC.

I actually think CBSSN is WAY BETTER than NBCSN so why do they not get the same coverage?

CBSSN has a ton of College Football and Basketball that NBCSN does NOT have. C-USA, AAC, MWC is all on CBSSN that NBCSN doesnt have. The only college football and basketball that NBCSN has is Colonial Athletic and Atlantic 10 (both conferences on the decline by raiding and future raiding). NHL games are the only positive I see of NBCSN over CBSSN.

When Aresco said he would only allow sub-license of AAC games to channels with 85 million+ subscribers as is the case with ESPN selling games to CBSSN, does that mean we can expect CBSSN in the next few months to land another big fish like Comcast or Dish that has 20 million more subscribers to add to CBSSN now 53 million?

I heard him use that "at least 74 million subs" line in multiple radio and TV interviews but Ive never heard an explanation of how we came to be on CBS-Sports.

My guess--Fox Sports-1 and NBC Sports are the only two sports networks that exceed 74 million. It may be that Fox Sports-1 and NBC-Sports were unwilling to play ball or wouldn't bid. That left CBS-Sports as the only remaining viable national option. If we want to think positively, maybe they have a plan to be at 74 million during the next few years and the plan was good enough that Aresco, an ex-CBS guy, was willing to go with a CBS-Sports network where he has lots of friends and influence.

I wish they had 74 million or more actual subscribers, but CBS-Sports is widely available, and I will say Ive been happy with the quality of the CBS-Sports broadcasts that I watched when we were In CUSA.

As for your question---I think CBS Sports is available from most of the big boys cable carriers. The problem is they have failed to be designated as part of their "basic" lower tier packages.

RE: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - adcorbett - 10-02-2013 11:42 AM

(10-02-2013 11:05 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  Who is the big fish out there that still doesn't include CBS Sports Network with the others like NBC Sports Network??

I think everyone. NBC Sports is essentially on tiers with ESPNU. CBS is mostly on sports packs, save for DirecTV. Even Time Warner, though they are including it on the "Digital package" has no inbetween. They have basic and digital. Many cablers have an expanded basic somewhere inbetween which is where the discrepancies come from.

RE: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - Inigo - 10-02-2013 12:04 PM

CBS Sports Network is carried on the digital tier by Comcast in Central Florida without the separate Sports Entertainment Pack required. I believe the Sports Entertainment Pack is still required by Comcast in much of the country in order to watch CBSSN.

The carriage of CBSSN on Comcast basic digital cable in some markets dates back to when UCF was in C-USA and the league signed a deal with CSTV (which would go on to become CBS College Sports Network and now just CBS Sports Network). As part of that TV deal which included a deal to sub-license games to CSS (Comcast Sports Southeast), Comcast agreed to put CSTV on the basic digital tier in all C-USA markets:

http://www.cstv.com/genrel/110606aab.html

That coverage on the digital tier has been grandfathered in since then.

RE: CBS Sports Network Added to Time Warner Cable's Widely Distributed Digital TV Package - PurpleReigns - 10-02-2013 12:39 PM

Dish actually needs to include NBCSN (AT250 and above) with CBSSN (AT200 and above). Doubt both will move to AT120 and up but we may see NBCSN move soon (hopefully).