CSNbbs
Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions (/thread-651491.html)

Pages: 1 2

Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - boroeagle2 - 09-26-2013 03:44 PM

Georgia Southern fan here, I've been lurking for a while, but first time posting.

We've been talking on our message board a lot about increased exposure and $$ when we move up, but I don't know if I've ever seen a reputable answer to these questions and I figured some of you guys might know.

What is the SB's tv and/or media contract like currently? How much and for how long? How much is each school's take? I'm not talking about bowl tie-ins, just media dollars.

I appreciate it, look forward to playing you guys next year and beyond.

RE: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - fencereagle - 09-26-2013 04:11 PM

(09-26-2013 03:44 PM)boroeagle2 Wrote:  Georgia Southern fan here, I've been lurking for a while, but first time posting.

We've been talking on our message board a lot about increased exposure and $$ when we move up, but I don't know if I've ever seen a reputable answer to these questions and I figured some of you guys might know.

What is the SB's tv and/or media contract like currently? How much and for how long? How much is each school's take? I'm not talking about bowl tie-ins, just media dollars.

Internet, the Google... we all haz it...

Not trying to be a jerk but really 95% of questions can be typed verbatim into Google and your answer will pop out if you spend like 3 minutes looking for it. It took more time to register for this message board than it would have to find information that points you in the right direction. What's that stuff about teaching a man to fish etc...

http://www.goblueraiders.com/content.cfm/id/54655

Now this article obviously is dated and the contract has to be changed because there are new players but it give a clear idea of what the contract and exposure looks like and it's a whole lot more than we ever got from the SoCon.

Welcome to the board btw. Really I'm not trying to be a jerk I just wish people would do more baseline research in general.

RE: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - TOPPERSonTOP - 09-26-2013 04:12 PM

(09-26-2013 03:44 PM)boroeagle2 Wrote:  Georgia Southern fan here, I've been lurking for a while, but first time posting.

You get no media sharing from the conference. There is nothing there to share. With NCAA money and everything, you get about 30k. Exposure? there are 2 baseball games and 2 basketball games, a handful of football games on tuesday-friday at midnight.

thats about.

RE: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - chiefsfan - 09-26-2013 04:43 PM

Media deal will provide a little bit, but not much. The Exposure becomes the important part of the deal. ESPN will broadcast a certain number of league games nationally between the main network and ESPNU. The rest will be mostly placed on ESPN3.

You'll get 1.2 million or something close to that next year for the CFB Playoff money, and you'll share revenue with the league based on bowl and NCAA Tourney appearances just like everyone else.

Its not much, but there is very little money in G5 football anyway. It just pays better than FCS.

RE: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - GSU Eagles - 09-26-2013 05:23 PM

(09-26-2013 04:11 PM)fencereagle Wrote:  

Internet, the Google... we all haz it...

Not trying to be a jerk but really 95% of questions can be typed verbatim into Google and your answer will pop out if you spend like 3 minutes looking for it. It took more time to register for this message board than it would have to find information that points you in the right direction. What's that stuff about teaching a man to fish etc...

http://www.goblueraiders.com/content.cfm/id/54655

Now this article obviously is dated and the contract has to be changed because there are new players but it give a clear idea of what the contract and exposure looks like and it's a whole lot more than we ever got from the SoCon.

Welcome to the board btw. Really I'm not trying to be a jerk I just wish people would do more baseline research in general.

So you make fun of the guy saying how easy it is to google the answers..........then you fail to answer his questions. Maybe you need to google a little harder.

RE: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - boroeagle2 - 09-27-2013 09:21 AM

I did google this by the way. It has been a few months probably, but I never found anything very recent or official looking, and I'm a pretty good googler (at least I think I am). Anyway, I'll take a look at the article you posted, and thanks to everyone for your responses.

RE: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - MJG - 09-27-2013 04:54 PM

Supposedly the MAC is getting a new TV Deal that will pay each team one million.

The reason for the increase FOX sports1 increasing competition .

So the next deal should be a lot better .

RE: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - FoUTASportscaster - 09-27-2013 07:59 PM

(09-27-2013 09:21 AM)boroeagle2 Wrote:  I did google this by the way. It has been a few months probably, but I never found anything very recent or official looking, and I'm a pretty good googler (at least I think I am). Anyway, I'll take a look at the article you posted, and thanks to everyone for your responses.

Kinky...

RE: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - BlazerUnit - 09-27-2013 11:24 PM

http://mattsarzsports.com/Contract/GameList?year=2013&conference=SunBelt

http://mattsarzsports.com/Contract/GameList?year=2013&conference=SunBelt

RE: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - arkstfan - 09-30-2013 10:48 AM

ESPN deal runs through 2020. Money is about one million a year (basically same deal as MAC).

Guaranteed a small number of exposures on ESPN/ESPN2 and another set on ESPNU. The Sun Belt Network deal (CSS/CST primarily) is basically no money but is generally Saturday games.

You are free to telecast your own games as long as they are not distributed outside of states with a Sun Belt teams or states bordering one of those states. Your telecasts cannot be shown head-to-head against Sun Belt home games telecast on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/CSS/CST

All games not selected for ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU that are telecast must be made available to ESPN for showing on GamePlan and ESPN3 in areas outside the broadcast footprint of the entity showing the game locally/regionally.

RE: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - MG61 - 09-30-2013 10:53 AM

(09-30-2013 10:48 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  ESPN deal runs through 2020. Money is about one million a year (basically same deal as MAC).

Guaranteed a small number of exposures on ESPN/ESPN2 and another set on ESPNU. The Sun Belt Network deal (CSS/CST primarily) is basically no money but is generally Saturday games.

You are free to telecast your own games as long as they are not distributed outside of states with a Sun Belt teams or states bordering one of those states. Your telecasts cannot be shown head-to-head against Sun Belt home games telecast on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/CSS/CST

All games not selected for ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU that are telecast must be made available to ESPN for showing on GamePlan and ESPN3 in areas outside the broadcast footprint of the entity showing the game locally/regionally.

A million per year per school or a million per year for the conference ?07-coffee3

RE: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - Klak - 09-30-2013 11:00 AM

(09-30-2013 10:48 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  ESPN deal runs through 2020. Money is about one million a year (basically same deal as MAC).

Georgia Southern currently does a top notch web broadcast. Would we be required to provide that for ESPN3? Not saying that's a bad thing at all, just trying to figure out the legalese.

RE: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - arkstfan - 09-30-2013 11:05 AM

(09-30-2013 10:53 AM)MG61 Wrote:  

A million per year per school or a million per year for the conference ?07-coffee3

Nobody likes a troll.

RE: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - MG61 - 09-30-2013 11:30 AM

Arkstfan I ask YOU the question because there seems to be some conflicting stuff out on the MAC. A thread on their site says they will receive 1 million per school. To my knowledge when we were in the Belt there wasn't an agreement with ESPN that paid 1 million per school. Not trolling just wanting to get some clarification as you usually seem to know what is going on.

RE: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - arkstfan - 09-30-2013 11:35 AM

(09-30-2013 11:30 AM)MG61 Wrote:  Arkstfan I ask YOU the question because there seems to be some conflicting stuff out on the MAC. A thread on their site says they will receive 1 million per school. To my knowledge when we were in the Belt there wasn't an agreement with ESPN that paid 1 million per school. Not trolling just wanting to get some clarification as you usually seem to know what is going on.

The MAC report was an error counting CFP money. Both leagues get a bit less than $100,000 per team.

RE: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - arkstfan - 09-30-2013 11:36 AM

(09-30-2013 11:00 AM)Klak Wrote:  

Georgia Southern currently does a top notch web broadcast. Would we be required to provide that for ESPN3? Not saying that's a bad thing at all, just trying to figure out the legalese.

You can do it like you do now but if you are putting good money into it, you might as well distribute via ESPN3.

RE: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - MG61 - 09-30-2013 11:37 AM

(09-30-2013 11:35 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(09-30-2013 11:30 AM)MG61 Wrote:  Arkstfan I ask YOU the question because there seems to be some conflicting stuff out on the MAC. A thread on their site says they will receive 1 million per school. To my knowledge when we were in the Belt there wasn't an agreement with ESPN that paid 1 million per school. Not trolling just wanting to get some clarification as you usually seem to know what is going on.

The MAC report was an error counting CFP money. Both leagues get a bit less than $100,000 per team.

Thanks.

RE: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - Klak - 09-30-2013 03:15 PM

(09-30-2013 11:36 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  

You can do it like you do now but if you are putting good money into it, you might as well distribute via ESPN3.

Thanks. I would prefer that every one of our home games was on ESPN3 at the least.

RE: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - chiefsfan - 09-30-2013 04:38 PM

Heck, if you found a TV station in say Savannah that wanted to broadcast all of your home games that weren't picked up via the SBC Television contract it would work out. The only rule is that the feed cant go out of the general Sun Belt Region, and must be made available via ESPN 3 for the rest of the country, and that you didn't start the game opposite a televised SBC home game.

ASU has gotten games televised statewide in Arkansas thanks to this deal.

The only downside would be a situation like WKU had, where the school had a separate deal with Fox Sports. Much to the chagrin of Hilltopper fans, they had to drop that contract because Fox wouldn't make the gave available via ESPN3. At least that is my rough understanding of what happened.

RE: Sun Belt Media Deal-questions - arkstfan - 09-30-2013 04:46 PM

(09-30-2013 04:38 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Heck, if you found a TV station in say Savannah that wanted to broadcast all of your home games that weren't picked up via the SBC Television contract it would work out. The only rule is that the feed cant go out of the general Sun Belt Region, and must be made available via ESPN 3 for the rest of the country, and that you didn't start the game opposite a televised SBC home game.

ASU has gotten games televised statewide in Arkansas thanks to this deal.

The only downside would be a situation like WKU had, where the school had a separate deal with Fox Sports. Much to the chagrin of Hilltopper fans, they had to drop that contract because Fox wouldn't make the gave available via ESPN3. At least that is my rough understanding of what happened.

Main issue was Fox wanted to use a channel with broader distribution than the contract allowed.