CSNbbs
Charlotte TV ratings - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Charlotte TV ratings (/thread-650385.html)

Pages: 1 2

Charlotte TV ratings - sctvman - 09-19-2013 10:25 PM

Charlotte is doing very well on television for their first few games in addition to putting 16,000 in the stands.

Last Saturday, their game against N.C. Central drew 38,900 households on WCCB. It outdrew UCLA/Nebraska on ABC (27,700), along with Southern Miss/Arkansas on WAXN (5,300) and New Mexico/Pittsburgh on WMYT (1,800).

Alabama/Texas A&M drew over 133,000 homes in Charlotte, while the Panthers have drawn about 262,000 and 230,000 TV homes in their first two games.

Interesting.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2013/09/early-sales-tv-ratings-bode-well-for.html?ana=fbk&page=2

RE: Charlotte TV ratings - Tallgrass - 09-19-2013 11:10 PM

Congrats to Charlotte! And congrats to CUSA leaders who had the foresight to add Charlotte.

CUSA, in the past year and a half, reminds me of the LBJ statement about bad times: "Sometimes, you have to be like a jack rabbit in a thunderstorm. You just have to squat down and take it."

Now, with the thunderstorm over.....let's us say disapating into a shower and with the skies clearing....CUSA is now beginning to realize the benefits of its foresight into its well conceived expansion.

RE: Charlotte TV ratings - ncbeta - 09-19-2013 11:13 PM

Is there a website that clearly posts the tv ratings from all of the games over the weekend? I searched for 15 minutes and found a bunch of crappy outdated websites..

RE: Charlotte TV ratings - CougarRed - 09-19-2013 11:19 PM

(09-19-2013 10:25 PM)sctvman Wrote:  Charlotte is doing very well on television for their first few games in addition to putting 16,000 in the stands.

Last Saturday, their game against N.C. Central drew 38,900 households on WCCB. It outdrew UCLA/Nebraska on ABC (27,700), along with Southern Miss/Arkansas on WAXN (5,300) and New Mexico/Pittsburgh on WMYT (1,800).

Alabama/Texas A&M drew over 133,000 homes in Charlotte, while the Panthers have drawn about 262,000 and 230,000 TV homes in their first two games.

Interesting.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2013/09/early-sales-tv-ratings-bode-well-for.html?ana=fbk&page=2

Since Charlotte has 1.14M TV households, Charlotte-NC Central drew a 3.4 rating.

RE: Charlotte TV ratings - Niner National - 09-20-2013 10:24 AM

Our first two weeks we went up against NC State and UNC in the same time slot.

We beat their ratings by a wide margin. Beating NC State didn't surprise me because I honestly don't encounter many NC State grads in Charlotte (I guess most stay in the Triangle after school), but UNC has a huge number of alums and fans in the Charlotte area, so that one was a little surprising.

I know we're new, and I don't expect to keep such strong ratings when we are having bad years, but it does show that there is a large number of people in Charlotte that are interested in our program.

RE: Charlotte TV ratings - stever20 - 09-20-2013 10:47 AM

(09-19-2013 11:10 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  Congrats to Charlotte! And congrats to CUSA leaders who had the foresight to add Charlotte.

CUSA, in the past year and a half, reminds me of the LBJ statement about bad times: "Sometimes, you have to be like a jack rabbit in a thunderstorm. You just have to squat down and take it."

Now, with the thunderstorm over.....let's us say disapating into a shower and with the skies clearing....CUSA is now beginning to realize the benefits of its foresight into its well conceived expansion.

along with being the #9 or 10 conference in FBS out of 9 or 10 conferences. best thing you can say about their expansion is they survived.

RE: Charlotte TV ratings - Niner National - 09-20-2013 12:21 PM

(09-20-2013 10:47 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(09-19-2013 11:10 PM)Tallgrass Wrote:  Congrats to Charlotte! And congrats to CUSA leaders who had the foresight to add Charlotte.

along with being the #9 or 10 conference in FBS out of 9 or 10 conferences. best thing you can say about their expansion is they survived.

Eh all G5 conferences will have up and down years. Some will be better more often than others, but CUSA won't be #9 or #10 every year just like the MWC and AAC won't be #1 or #2 every year.

The additions CUSA made make them a much stronger soccer conference than they were before and basketball is going to be a lot more well-rounded than it was before. Parity in a conference generally means more NCAA bids.

If you have 3-4 teams battling for first place with 20+ wins, you're more likely to get an at-large than if you had one team win 18 conference games and the next closest team finishing 3-4 games back. That makes it look like the conference is garbage outside of the one team that won.

I think CUSA did a fair job creating a well-rounded conference everything considered.

RE: Charlotte TV ratings - stever20 - 09-20-2013 12:28 PM

(09-20-2013 12:21 PM)Niner National Wrote:  

Eh all G5 conferences will have up and down years. Some will be better more often than others, but CUSA won't be #9 or #10 every year just like the MWC and AAC won't be #1 or #2 every year.

The additions CUSA made make them a much stronger soccer conference than they were before and basketball is going to be a lot more well-rounded than it was before. Parity in a conference generally means more NCAA bids.

If you have 3-4 teams battling for first place with 20+ wins, you're more likely to get an at-large than if you had one team win 18 conference games and the next closest team finishing 3-4 games back. That makes it look like the conference is garbage outside of the one team that won.

I think CUSA did a fair job creating a well-rounded conference everything considered.

um, no. The MAAC last year had 3 20 win teams and 3 19 win teams. And how many bids did they get? 1. CUSA is a lot closer to the MAAC than you ever want to admit.

CUSA way overexpaneded. There was no reason to go to 14 teams at all. None.

RE: Charlotte TV ratings - Niner National - 09-20-2013 02:42 PM

(09-20-2013 12:28 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(09-20-2013 12:21 PM)Niner National Wrote:  

um, no. The MAAC last year had 3 20 win teams and 3 19 win teams. And how many bids did they get? 1. CUSA is a lot closer to the MAAC than you ever want to admit.

CUSA way overexpaneded. There was no reason to go to 14 teams at all. None.
No, it's not.

How many at-large bids do teams from the MAAC have in the last 30 years? How many top 25 wins do those teams have?

UAB, UTEP, WKU, Charlotte, and ODU combine for 57 NCAA appearances in that span, many as at-large bids. Throw in USM and MT since they seem to be in a good groove lately and Marshall is at least respectable and could be very good barring defections or injuries.

Those schools recruit a pretty solid level of player with all landing top 150/100 players within the last 5 years except ODU. 3 star players are regular things. Hell Marshall just signed a 5 star and UTEP had one committed until tampering happened from USC. That doesn't happen in the MAAC.

Facilities aren't even close. Only FAU, FIU, and maybe Rice have facilities on par with what MAAC schools have to offer. In the MAAC, only Siena and Fairfield have arenas that are up to CUSA quality.

CUSA is nothing like the MAAC. It's not going to be an elite basketball conference, but is going to be at least as good as the CAA was before VCU, Mason, and ODU left. That conference had 3 bid years with less teams. CUSA will do the same.

RE: Charlotte TV ratings - stever20 - 09-20-2013 03:27 PM

if you look at the last 10 years... revising for auto bids.. CUSA would have had only 1 year with 3 teams in the tourney. 2004(10 years ago). In 3 of the other 9 years, CUSA gets 2 teams in. The other 6 years, CUSA would have gotten 1 team in the tourney.

CUSA's ratings with all their teams is almost equal to the MAAC last year. That's the level they are at.

RE: Charlotte TV ratings - AppfanInCAAland - 09-20-2013 05:17 PM

(09-19-2013 10:25 PM)sctvman Wrote:  Charlotte is doing very well on television for their first few games in addition to putting 16,000 in the stands.

Interesting.

I used to live in Charlotte (and briefly attended UNCC for some work related classes), but I don't remember which one was WCCB. Are they broadcasting all the 49er games? That's a great deal for you guys if so.

RE: Charlotte TV ratings - IceJus10 - 09-22-2013 01:38 PM

(09-20-2013 05:17 PM)AppfanInCAAland Wrote:  I used to live in Charlotte (and briefly attended UNCC for some work related classes), but I don't remember which one was WCCB. Are they broadcasting all the 49er games? That's a great deal for you guys if so.

WCCB was the Fox affiliate until June (I think that is when Fox corporate bought another station (WJZY) and switched affiliates, as to now own their affiliate station outright). WCCB became the local CW affiliate, but continues many of its popular local shows like it's 10pm newscast, their morning program "Fox Rising" (now WCCB Rising) and entertainment talk show "Fox News Edge" (now WCCB Edge). It's Digital Channel 18.1 over the air and channel 11 & HD1125 on Time Warner Cable.

They carry all of Charlotte's home games live from the RICH, which is the only way for many shutout of the games by sellout to see them. There is a Charlotte Business Journal article recently that says WCCB is tempted to try and show some away games too.

RE: Charlotte TV ratings - sctvman - 09-22-2013 09:37 PM

Yep. WCCB is a good station in the Charlotte area. It often outdrew NBC when they were Fox.

RE: Charlotte TV ratings - VA49er - 09-23-2013 08:24 AM

Charlotte is doing well. Hopefully these TV ratings keep up as they will play a role in whatever future realignment scenarios pop up in the future.

RE: Charlotte TV ratings - sctvman - 11-05-2013 02:19 PM

An update from this weekend: Falcons-Panthers drew 407,100 viewers on WJZY (Fox) on Sunday; Georgia-Florida drew 97,900 on CBS; while UNC-NC State only drew 76,600 viewers on WBTV.

61,300 watched Mississippi State-South Carolina on WAXN (an independent) while Charlotte's road game at Coastal Carolina drew just 10,500 viewers.

BTW, the Bobcats home opener only drew 18,000 viewers.

RE: Charlotte TV ratings - IceJus10 - 11-05-2013 11:51 PM

I didn't even know the game was on... grrrrr missed that one!

RE: Charlotte TV ratings - wh49er - 11-06-2013 07:29 AM

(11-05-2013 02:19 PM)sctvman Wrote:  An update from this weekend: Falcons-Panthers drew 407,100 viewers on WJZY (Fox) on Sunday; Georgia-Florida drew 97,900 on CBS; while UNC-NC State only drew 76,600 viewers on WBTV.

61,300 watched Mississippi State-South Carolina on WAXN (an independent) while Charlotte's road game at Coastal Carolina drew just 10,500 viewers.

BTW, the Bobcats home opener only drew 18,000 viewers.

Link?

RE: Charlotte TV ratings - sctvman - 11-06-2013 11:43 PM

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2013/11/fans-tuning-in-for-carolina-panthers.html

RE: Charlotte TV ratings - NovaNiner - 11-08-2013 05:20 PM

(11-06-2013 11:43 PM)sctvman Wrote:  http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2013/11/fans-tuning-in-for-carolina-panthers.html

Our only game we didn't have a strong showing in viewers. Also our only game that was not at noon and away which have led many to believe that it wasn't promoted well. Just capturing the normal home attendance and viewership should have led to strong ratings.

Our last TV game:
49ers v GWU, WCCB (25,900 viewers)
Navy-Air Force (11,800), WBTV
UNC-Va Tech, WMYT (29,500)

RE: Charlotte TV ratings - 49RFootballNow - 11-08-2013 06:34 PM

(11-08-2013 05:20 PM)NovaNiner Wrote:  
(11-06-2013 11:43 PM)sctvman Wrote:  http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/queen_city_agenda/2013/11/fans-tuning-in-for-carolina-panthers.html

Our only game we didn't have a strong showing in viewers. Also our only game that was not at noon and away which have led many to believe that it wasn't promoted well. Just capturing the normal home attendance and viewership should have led to strong ratings.

Our last TV game:
49ers v GWU, WCCB (25,900 viewers)
Navy-Air Force (11,800), WBTV
UNC-Va Tech, WMYT (29,500)

While I think the time change was a big factor, it is also possible many didn't know this game was on. It was added only a few weeks before and most of our fans knew all the home games were on at 12 since June. This game was also broadcast on WOLO (Columbia) and WFXB (Myrtle Beach).