CSNbbs
New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Member - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Member (/thread-650027.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Member - MG61 - 09-17-2013 02:47 PM

Does this bode well for CUSA when our TV contract comes up for renewal in a couple of years ?

A new Mid-American Conference television contract will help, providing about $1 million to each member after this year.

(Above is only mention in this article)
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130915/NEWS/309150046/Miami-Campaign-signals-big-time-intentions?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

RE: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Team ? - shiftyeagle - 09-17-2013 02:49 PM

They do have some decent markets, but I'm not sure a single program averages over 20,000 in attendance per game.

RE: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Team ? - OwlFamily - 09-17-2013 02:51 PM

(09-17-2013 02:49 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  They do have some decent markets, but I'm not sure a single program averages over 20,000 in attendance per game.

Attendance doesnt mean squat for TV deals. Its all about the number of sets in the market. In fact I would imagine that TV would want less attendance at games cause it means more folks are watching the tube.

Not saying its right but its the way it is.

RE: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Team ? - Niner National - 09-17-2013 02:54 PM

(09-17-2013 02:51 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  
(09-17-2013 02:49 PM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  They do have some decent markets, but I'm not sure a single program averages over 20,000 in attendance per game.

Attendance doesnt mean squat for TV deals. Its all about the number of sets in the market. In fact I would imagine that TV would want less attendance at games cause it means more folks are watching the tube.

Have to think that # of people watching on TV factors in as well.

I've been very impressed with Charlotte's tv ratings so far. In our first three games we've beaten out every game in our time slot by a large margin each week...including games with UNC and NC State.

RE: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Team ? - PGPirate - 09-17-2013 03:02 PM

(09-17-2013 02:54 PM)Niner National Wrote:  

I've been very impressed with Charlotte's tv ratings so far. In our first three games we've beaten out every game in our time slot by a large margin each week...including games with UNC and NC State.

Because you are new. Period. Do that in five or ten years, and it will be something to write home about.

RE: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Team ? - monarx - 09-17-2013 03:13 PM

Ive got to think CUSA has more fans and a much broader viewing audience than the MAC. I think this bodes well for CUSA. The interest in our teams, and sets in our markets and hunger for football is better. Maybe things wont be that bad after all.

RE: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Team ? - ncbeta - 09-17-2013 03:19 PM

(09-17-2013 03:02 PM)PGPirate Wrote:  

Because you are new. Period. Do that in five or ten years, and it will be something to write home about.

I'd suspect many residents of a city will watch their city's "team" vs the states "team" if they have no ties to either. Say someone who wen't to a school without FBS football, went to school out of state, or just didn't go to school.

RE: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Team ? - blunderbuss - 09-17-2013 03:21 PM

Wow. $1,000,000 per team. hHw many individual teams do the universities field? That's a lot of money. smh.

RE: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Team ? - MG61 - 09-17-2013 03:27 PM

(09-17-2013 03:21 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Wow. $1,000,000 per team. hHw many individual teams do the universities field? That's a lot of money. smh.

Cute.

RE: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Member - WinOrLoseEAGLE - 09-17-2013 04:55 PM

(09-17-2013 03:02 PM)PGPirate Wrote:  

Yep - everybody wakes up Saturday morning and anxiously looks at the guides to see which first year college football team is on television.

RE: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Member - Monarch_Pride - 09-17-2013 05:07 PM

Good for the MAC! Hopefully a positive sign of what's to come for us, as well!

RE: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Member - MeanGreenGem - 09-18-2013 08:59 AM

Lets see now, which G5 conference sent a team to a BCS Bowl, ie, namely the Orange Bowl? :)

RE: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Member - ODUalum78 - 09-18-2013 09:10 AM

In 2009, an ESPN announcer said just that in response to a comment about the lack of attendance at a Miami [Fla] game.
He said something like "there is more money to be made from the fan who stays home and watches on TV than if that same fan went to the stadium"
04-cheers

The current MAC TV contract doesn't expire until 2017, so I suspect that this is premature speculation at best, or more likely wishful thinking.
07-coffee3

RE: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Member - ThreeifbyLightning - 09-18-2013 09:30 AM

Good for them. Short answer is yes this bodes well. I've gone over this a few times having spent way too much time talking to TV execs on this topic, so I'm going to skip all the detail.

Bottom line is our timing for renegotiation is good. Two new national networks have come online and college football is highly desired. The period between 2015 and 2019/2020 is the time to lock in a long term contract. Apple TV is a wildcard. Hearing it may be introduced early 2014. That will be a game changer. As discussed before that's the future.

Not only will we have the opportunity to lock in a long term contract at time where I believe contracts in the traditional sense will be at an apex we'll also be able to be early adopters of the online revolution. Hopefully, BB will be smart about building that in.

P5 schools are currently locked into TV deals that have purchasing power that's going to erode over time. AAC was so dumb to sign a deal as long as they did. Of course P5 schools can try to renegotiate contracts, so it's not like we're going to have an advantage for long but because every one of the P5 are locked into long term deals well into 2020's we'll have a good opportunity to capitalize on the network needs and we'll initially have value beyond what anyone else has in trying to integrate online broadcasting.

RE: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Member - blunderbuss - 09-18-2013 09:33 AM

(09-18-2013 09:30 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  AAC was so dumb to sign a deal as long as they did.

03-confused AAC only signed a 6 year deal. One of only a few smart moves from Aresco. It's all the P5 conferences that have been signing 15-20+ year deals.

RE: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Member - MG61 - 09-18-2013 09:39 AM

(09-18-2013 09:30 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Good for them. Short answer is yes this bodes well. I've gone over this a few times having spent way too much time talking to TV execs on this topic, so I'm going to skip all the detail.

Bottom line is our timing for renegotiation is good. Two new national networks have come online and college football is highly desired. The period between 2015 and 2019/2020 is the time to lock in a long term contract. Apple TV is a wildcard. Hearing it may be introduced early 2014. That will be a game changer. As discussed before that's the future.

Not only will we have the opportunity to lock in a long term contract at time where I believe contracts in the traditional sense will be at an apex we'll also be able to be early adopters of the online revolution. Hopefully, Benson will be smart about building that in.

P5 schools are currently locked into TV deals that have purchasing power that's going to erode over time. AAC was so dumb to sign a deal as long as they did. Of course P5 schools can try to renegotiate contracts, so it's not like we're going to have an advantage for long but because every one of the P5 are locked into long term deals well into 2020's we'll have a good opportunity to capitalize on the network needs and we'll initially have value beyond what anyone else has in trying to integrate online broadcasting.

Benson ? Are you lost or somethin' ? Thought MT had moved to CUSA.

RE: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Member - ThreeifbyLightning - 09-18-2013 09:45 AM

(09-18-2013 09:33 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  
(09-18-2013 09:30 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  AAC was so dumb to sign a deal as long as they did.

03-confused AAC only signed a 6 year deal. One of only a few smart moves from Aresco. It's all the P5 conferences that have been signing 15-20+ year deals.

IMO, three years should have been the max length. They failed to take into account the new competition being created. Aresco has essentially wasted three years of value. That is to say from 2016 to 2018/19 you would have gotten a lot more than you're actually now going to get during those three years. This is most surprising given his network ties, but I think he politically wanted to prove he could get a good TV deal.

I would have signed a two year deal but no more than three.

RE: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Member - SVHerd - 09-18-2013 09:46 AM

I would say this is pure speculation and wishful thinking. I don't think any of the non B5 leagues or schools will get much more than they are now. The B5 leagues will take every buck they can and then some. We'll get scraps. jmo.

RE: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Member - ThreeifbyLightning - 09-18-2013 09:46 AM

(09-18-2013 09:39 AM)MG61 Wrote:  
(09-18-2013 09:30 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Good for them. Short answer is yes this bodes well. I've gone over this a few times having spent way too much time talking to TV execs on this topic, so I'm going to skip all the detail.

Not only will we have the opportunity to lock in a long term contract at time where I believe contracts in the traditional sense will be at an apex we'll also be able to be early adopters of the online revolution. Hopefully, Benson will be smart about building that in.

Benson ? Are you lost or somethin' ? Thought MT had moved to CUSA.

Sorry, the other guy whose name starts with B that I can never spell right. Banowsky I think? I'll correct. Thx.

RE: New MAC TV Contract - $1million Per Member - BleedsGreen33 - 09-18-2013 09:48 AM

Is this 1 million per year or over 6 years? I only ask because I can't access the article without subscribing and out last tv share in the MAC was $24,000.