CSNbbs
LaTech posters, I have a question.... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: LaTech posters, I have a question.... (/thread-649305.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

LaTech posters, I have a question.... - EagleRockCafe - 09-13-2013 09:55 AM

Has Holtz said why he went for the two point conversion after the td get you within 9 points last night. Seems to me the conventional thought is that you go for the 1 pt. extra point, leaving it as a one possession game.

RE: LaTech posters, I have a question.... - techdawg88 - 09-13-2013 10:01 AM

“We were going to have to go for two either early or late. At least then, if you made the two then you kick it deep because you are in a one score game and you play defense and try to get the ball back. If you go for two, you are going to know when you go for two you, whether you need two possessions or not to kick the onside kick. If you wait until the very end to do that, you do not have that opportunity any more. That is why we went for two. We were down 15 points we had to go for two on the first one or second one and we made the decision to go for two on the first one so we would know If we needed one or two possessions.

RE: LaTech posters, I have a question.... - USM@FTL - 09-13-2013 10:08 AM

La Tech looks to be in rebuilding mode too.

RE: LaTech posters, I have a question.... - EagleRockCafe - 09-13-2013 10:21 AM

(09-13-2013 10:01 AM)techdawg88 Wrote:  “We were going to have to go for two either early or late. At least then, if you made the two then you kick it deep because you are in a one score game and you play defense and try to get the ball back. If you go for two, you are going to know when you go for two you, whether you need two possessions or not to kick the onside kick. If you wait until the very end to do that, you do not have that opportunity any more. That is why we went for two. We were down 15 points we had to go for two on the first one or second one and we made the decision to go for two on the first one so we would know If we needed one or two possessions.

Well, there it is. Thanks.

RE: LaTech posters, I have a question.... - Bulldogs145 - 09-13-2013 10:34 AM

(09-13-2013 10:08 AM)USM@FTL Wrote:  La Tech looks to be in rebuilding mode too.

That's certainly a nice way to put it. Holtz looks like he's never coached football in his life.

RE: LaTech posters, I have a question.... - Native Georgian - 09-13-2013 10:49 AM

I understand what Holtz is saying, but I still think he got it wrong.

RE: LaTech posters, I have a question.... - eco challenged - 09-13-2013 10:55 AM

(09-13-2013 10:34 AM)Bulldogs145 Wrote:  
(09-13-2013 10:08 AM)USM@FTL Wrote:  La Tech looks to be in rebuilding mode too.

That's certainly a nice way to put it. Holtz looks like he's never coached football in his life.

Holtz is a blithering idiot. You kick the extra point to make it a one possession game. If you score another touchdown, then you roll the dice and go for two and to tie, never before.

RE: LaTech posters, I have a question.... - USM@FTL - 09-13-2013 11:09 AM

Holtz ain't bad. I'm impressed he's using an up-tempo offense. His offenses at ECU were "vanilla" to say the least. He doesn't seem to have a QB right now.

RE: LaTech posters, I have a question.... - WinOrLoseEAGLE - 09-13-2013 11:11 AM

(09-13-2013 10:01 AM)techdawg88 Wrote:  “We were going to have to go for two either early or late. At least then, if you made the two then you kick it deep because you are in a one score game and you play defense and try to get the ball back. If you go for two, you are going to know when you go for two you, whether you need two possessions or not to kick the onside kick. If you wait until the very end to do that, you do not have that opportunity any more. That is why we went for two. We were down 15 points we had to go for two on the first one or second one and we made the decision to go for two on the first one so we would know If we needed one or two possessions.

If that's what Holtz said then you guys hired one stupid assed coach. You NEVER EVER EVER go for two until necessary. Once you missed the two pointer any player loses steam since it's now a two possession game. ALWAYS play to make it a one possession game. ALWAYS.

Needing one possession was the best you could have done in that situation and kicking the extra point would have done that - but your coach chose to go about it in the most difficult and least likely to be successful manner he could. In doing so HE made it a two possession game when your players had put themselves in the position to make it a one possession game.

That's not even a pee-wee coach mistake. STUPID STUPID STUPID.

RE: LaTech posters, I have a question.... - ThreeifbyLightning - 09-13-2013 11:17 AM

I have never ever liked the mentality of waiting to go for two that late in the game in that situation. There's no difference in the number of possessions needed if you fail on the two point conversion whether earlier or later. It's still a two possession game.

The benefit of doing it sooner is at least you know whether or not you're going to need another possession or not and you can do your clock management accordingly. Otherwise, if you go down and score the last touchdown to get within two but there's only 10 second left you basically have no chance at that point if the two point conversion fails.

RE: LaTech posters, I have a question.... - ThreeifbyLightning - 09-13-2013 11:21 AM

IMO, the bottom line is do you want to know sooner or later whether your going to need another possession or not?

This isn't applicable in the third quarter but by the time you have reached mid way through the fourth quarter the number of possessions your going to get is dwindled down.

If I'm a coach I want to know as early as possible whether I'm going to need the ball again.

RE: LaTech posters, I have a question.... - keebler645 - 09-13-2013 12:11 PM

Yeah, I agree with going for two the first time. It's important to know if you need one or two more scores.

RE: LaTech posters, I have a question.... - eco challenged - 09-13-2013 12:14 PM

(09-13-2013 11:21 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  IMO, the bottom line is do you want to know sooner or later whether your going to need another possession or not?

This isn't applicable in the third quarter but by the time you have reached mid way through the fourth quarter the number of possessions your going to get is dwindled down.

If I'm a coach I want to know as early as possible whether I'm going to need the ball again.

It's all about momentum, the very life blood of a comeback. If you fail to convert the two point conversion, all momentum is dead, your team is faced with the nearly impossible task of scoring twice in the time remaining.

RE: LaTech posters, I have a question.... - Native Georgian - 09-13-2013 12:15 PM

But if you make the kick (that's about a 98% chance), you only need 1 more score, and you don't have to "find out" if you need another one.

RE: LaTech posters, I have a question.... - ultraviolet - 09-13-2013 12:22 PM

(09-13-2013 10:55 AM)eco challenged Wrote:  

Holtz is a blithering idiot. You kick the extra point to make it a one possession game. If you score another touchdown, then you roll the dice and go for two and to tie, never before.

I agree. You don't chase the points too early. Take the sure thing and put the pressure on Tulane's offense to execute. Skip is usually very good at end of game and end of half strategy, but he blew chunks on that one.

RE: LaTech posters, I have a question.... - ThreeifbyLightning - 09-13-2013 12:25 PM

(09-13-2013 12:15 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  But if you make the kick (that's about a 98% chance), you only need 1 more score, and you don't have to "find out" if you need another one.

No, you actually need one more score plus a two point conversion. It's the same either way. However, if I'm in those shoes I need as much information as soon as possible so that I can manage the game and the clock accordingly.

Further, if all it takes is not getting a two point conversion to suck the momentum out of my team I really don't have much of a chance anyway. Again, if I'm coaching I want information. The best way for me to have that information is go for two when I'm down by 15 with four minutes to go.

RE: LaTech posters, I have a question.... - ThreeifbyLightning - 09-13-2013 12:27 PM

(09-13-2013 12:22 PM)ultraviolet Wrote:  
(09-13-2013 10:55 AM)eco challenged Wrote:  

I agree. You don't chase the points too early. Take the sure thing and put the pressure on Tulane's offense to execute. Skip is usually very good at end of game and end of half strategy, but he blew chunks on that one.

There were less than four minutes to go on the clock. How's it too early?

If I'm going for two with 12 minutes on the clock in third quarter that's chasing points.

RE: LaTech posters, I have a question.... - PGPirate - 09-13-2013 12:29 PM

(09-13-2013 11:09 AM)USM@FTL Wrote:  Holtz ain't bad. I'm impressed he's using an up-tempo offense. His offenses at ECU were "vanilla" to say the least. He doesn't seem to have a QB right now.

We had an offense? I thought it was "give it to CJ".

RE: LaTech posters, I have a question.... - eco challenged - 09-13-2013 12:40 PM

(09-13-2013 12:25 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  Further, if all it takes is not getting a two point conversion to suck the momentum out of my team I really don't have much of a chance anyway. Again, if I'm coaching I want information. The best way for me to have that information is go for two when I'm down by 15 with four minutes to go.

NFL coaches don't follow this advice, let alone by competent D-1 coaches, you're leaving out the human element. Last night's potential comeback should have been predicated on the possibility that if LA Tech scored again, then went for two on a final drive to cut the lead to two, make it, then win it in OT. Comebacks are fueled by emotion, especially with 18-22 year old players, I'd be outraged if I was a LA tech fan.

RE: LaTech posters, I have a question.... - chidave - 09-13-2013 01:22 PM

(09-13-2013 12:11 PM)keebler645 Wrote:  Yeah, I agree with going for two the first time. It's important to know if you need one or two more scores.

+1. Your play calling is different as well, down one score or down two and having to hope for an onside kick. Hmmm...I can't believe I'm defending Holtz! Time to exit this thread.....