CSNbbs
Todd Mcshay sez... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Todd Mcshay sez... (/thread-648345.html)

Pages: 1 2

Todd Mcshay sez... - darkdragon99 - 09-07-2013 06:15 PM

He said a 2 loss SEC team would get into the national championship game over an undefeated team from another conference. Robert Smith was flabbergasted and mentioned even over the Pac 12 if they were undefeated and Mcshay did not waiver.

So if hes right and if a 2 loss SEC team does make it over an undefeated Pac 12, Big, 12 , ACC team then college football really is messed up.

RE: Todd Mcshay sez... - NJRedMan - 09-07-2013 06:17 PM

(09-07-2013 06:15 PM)darkdragon99 Wrote:  He said a 2 loss SEC team would get into the national championship game over an undefeated team from another conference. Robert Smith was flabbergasted and mentioned even over the Pac 12 if they were undefeated and Mcshay did not waiver.

So if hes right and if a 2 loss SEC team does make it over an undefeated Pac 12, Big, 12 , ACC team then college football really is messed up.

McShey can say whatever he wants, that will never happen.

RE: Todd Mcshay sez... - darkdragon99 - 09-07-2013 06:20 PM

It was shocking to hear him say that. I thought he meant 2 loss SEC team over a undefeated MWC or CUSA kinda team but no he meant over all the conferences.

RE: Todd Mcshay sez... - He1nousOne - 09-07-2013 06:21 PM

McShay may know what he is talking about when it comes to individual athletes but he is a complete idiot when it comes to this topic. Obviously his opinion is entirely based (biased) upon his perceived value of individual players in the SEC.

If the SEC is allowed to have a two loss team in the championship game without there being an extended tournament for that team to play their way into it then this whole dying BCS system will have proven just how big of a sham it is. It is supposed to be a National Championship not a second SEC Championship. If the SEC knocks it's own top teams out of the running then too bad. The top recruits will then have to realize that by congregating so heavily in one conference, they are only harming themselves.

So, with that in mind, I hope McShay is right. 05-stirthepot

The following chaos will be sublime.

RE: Todd Mcshay sez... - NJRedMan - 09-07-2013 06:24 PM

(09-07-2013 06:21 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  McShay may know what he is talking about when it comes to individual athletes but he is a complete idiot when it comes to this topic. Obviously his opinion is entirely based (biased) upon his perceived value of individual players in the SEC.

If the SEC is allowed to have a two loss team in the championship game without there being an extended tournament for that team to play their way into it then this whole dying BCS system will have proven just how big of a sham it is. It is supposed to be a National Championship not a second SEC Championship. If the SEC knocks it's own top teams out of the running then too bad. The top recruits will then have to realize that by congregating so heavily in one conference, they are only harming themselves.

The SEC is already starting to show signs of it's decline. Bama might be a world beater but the rest sure are not. Good teams but not the greatest of the great that ESPN would like you to think.

ESPN has been calling the SEC the "greatest athletic conference in the NCAA". Sorry, but there is more to NCAA than just FB. In BBall they are 5th or 6th at best.

RE: Todd Mcshay sez... - darkdragon99 - 09-07-2013 06:27 PM

They were discussing it after discussing the GA-SC game. Smith said Georgia was done if they lost because they would have 2 losses and Mchsay disagreed which led into him saying what he did

RE: Todd Mcshay sez... - Rabbit_in_Red - 09-07-2013 07:22 PM

I'm not sold on Alabama being a world beater after their performance against Virginia Tech. 14 points came from kick off returns, but beyond that their offense didn't look overly productive.

RE: Todd Mcshay sez... - Hokie Mark - 09-07-2013 07:52 PM

(09-07-2013 07:22 PM)Rabbit_in_Red Wrote:  I'm not sold on Alabama being a world beater after their performance against Virginia Tech. 14 points came from kick off returns, but beyond that their offense didn't look overly productive.

+1. Of course I hope this means the Hokies defense is REALLY good. Even so, our offense stinks and we still gained more yards than Bama.

RE: Todd Mcshay sez... - He1nousOne - 09-07-2013 07:56 PM

(09-07-2013 06:24 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 06:21 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  McShay may know what he is talking about when it comes to individual athletes but he is a complete idiot when it comes to this topic. Obviously his opinion is entirely based (biased) upon his perceived value of individual players in the SEC.

The SEC is already starting to show signs of it's decline. Bama might be a world beater but the rest sure are not. Good teams but not the greatest of the great that ESPN would like you to think.

ESPN has been calling the SEC the "greatest athletic conference in the NCAA". Sorry, but there is more to NCAA than just FB. In BBall they are 5th or 6th at best.

I don't know so much if the SEC is in decline. I think other conferences are having their premier programs finally stepping up.

The SEC programs such as Alabama are just doing their natural ebb and flows up and down.

We shall see how this season goes. The SEC is still the dominant conference until someone unseats them. That being said, the idea of a 2 loss SEC team getting into the National Championship game would be a glorious travesty. One more clear cut example of how opinion based rankings can always be skewed towards a perceived bias.

The SEC's "strength" should be able to work against it just as much as it should be allowed to skew every single poll in the country in their favor.

RE: Todd Mcshay sez... - 10thMountain - 09-07-2013 08:02 PM

1 loss...definitely possible

2 losses...only is some ludicrously unlikely scenario where the unbeaten played an incredibly weak schedule and the 1 losses were to ridiculously bad opponents...even then its a sketch.

RE: Todd Mcshay sez... - Knightsweat - 09-07-2013 08:15 PM

(09-07-2013 08:02 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  1 loss...definitely possible

2 losses...only is some ludicrously unlikely scenario where the unbeaten played an incredibly weak schedule and the 1 losses were to ridiculously bad opponents...even then its a sketch.

But its fair to say that the SEC is the only conference that has even that possibility. No other conference is in the conversation if they have 2 loss teams. Speaks to the SEC bias in CFB today. Oh well, this type of bias is cyclical. It's just the SEC's turn.

RE: Todd Mcshay sez... - Zombiewoof - 09-08-2013 12:24 AM

Even SEC fans like 10th Mountain and I would admit that a two-loss SEC making the title game would be unlikely. It would have to be an unusual situation, but not because of any "SEC bias." Take the 2008 championship, which LSU won over Ohio State, making LSU the only two-loss team to win a BCS title. Before the final games of the season, it looked like West Virginia and Missouri would play in the game, but both lost, making Ohio State number one and elevating LSU to the #2 slot.

Since a committee will choose the participants now, it is unlikely that the committee would choose a two-loss SEC team, unless a similarly unusual set of circumstances occurred. The SEC team would have to be the most logical choice of the remaining hopefuls. For example, say Georgia has two losses -- the 3-point loss to Clemson in the opener and a 1-point loss in triple overtime to LSU in the last game of September. They go on to finish 10-2 and win the SEC championship game handily, maybe avenging the earlier loss to LSU. If the right set of circumstances happened, including last game losses by other contenders, then I could see a slim possibility of Georgia being in the national championship game. But it wouldn't simply be because they are from the SEC. I would be because everyone else had lost at least once and when those teams lost and to whom.

RE: Todd Mcshay sez... - Knightsweat - 09-08-2013 01:30 AM

(09-08-2013 12:24 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  Even SEC fans like 10th Mountain and I would admit that a two-loss SEC making the title game would be unlikely. It would have to be an unusual situation, but not because of any "SEC bias." Take the 2008 championship, which LSU won over Ohio State, making LSU the only two-loss team to win a BCS title. Before the final games of the season, it looked like West Virginia and Missouri would play in the game, but both lost, making Ohio State number one and elevating LSU to the #2 slot.

Since a committee will choose the participants now, it is unlikely that the committee would choose a two-loss SEC team, unless a similarly unusual set of circumstances occurred. The SEC team would have to be the most logical choice of the remaining hopefuls. For example, say Georgia has two losses -- the 3-point loss to Clemson in the opener and a 1-point loss in triple overtime to LSU in the last game of September. They go on to finish 10-2 and win the SEC championship game handily, maybe avenging the earlier loss to LSU. If the right set of circumstances happened, including last game losses by other contenders, then I could see a slim possibility of Georgia being in the national championship game. But it wouldn't simply be because they are from the SEC. I would be because everyone else had lost at least once and when those teams lost and to whom.

I understand your point but it equates to the same thing, right? No one else except a team that has played an SEC schedule would be given that benefit of the doubt. Because the common perception is that an SEC schedule is the toughest and that makes an SEC team more deserving. Anyways I've talked myself into a circle. I do agree however that a unique set of circumstances would have to occur for a two loss team to get into a NC game. But I still contend it would only be an SEC team.

RE: Todd Mcshay sez... - stever20 - 09-08-2013 01:39 AM

I think one reason why the SEC seems like they're slipping is the ACC finally is starting to show some good teams. I mean, the SEC right now has 4 losses OOC. 1 was Mississippi St to Oklahoma St, 1 was Kentucky to Western Kentucky. Big deal on those 2- bottom teams vs good teams in other conferences. But the other 2 were to Clemson and Miami.

RE: Todd Mcshay sez... - Zombiewoof - 09-08-2013 02:05 AM

(09-08-2013 01:39 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I think one reason why the SEC seems like they're slipping is the ACC finally is starting to show some good teams. I mean, the SEC right now has 4 losses OOC. 1 was Mississippi St to Oklahoma St, 1 was Kentucky to Western Kentucky. Big deal on those 2- bottom teams vs good teams in other conferences. But the other 2 were to Clemson and Miami.

Clemson is a dang good team that won a 3-point game at home. They have a shot to be in the mix at the end. Miami beat a Florida team that I thought was overrated from the start. I don't know that Miami is all that great, but it was a good win. Florida is probably the 7th or 8th best team in the conference IMHO.

RE: Todd Mcshay sez... - He1nousOne - 09-08-2013 02:11 AM

(09-08-2013 02:05 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 01:39 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I think one reason why the SEC seems like they're slipping is the ACC finally is starting to show some good teams. I mean, the SEC right now has 4 losses OOC. 1 was Mississippi St to Oklahoma St, 1 was Kentucky to Western Kentucky. Big deal on those 2- bottom teams vs good teams in other conferences. But the other 2 were to Clemson and Miami.

Clemson is a dang good team that won a 3-point game at home. They have a shot to be in the mix at the end. Miami beat a Florida team that I thought was overrated from the start. I don't know that Miami is all that great, but it was a good win. Florida is probably the 7th or 8th best team in the conference IMHO.

Florida is proof that preseason rankings are complete garbage and rankings are just tossed out to half of the SEC teams by unofficial and unwritten rule. Hell, no one in the media had anything good to say about that damn team before the season even started yet they were in the top 15?

Going to be funny when Alabama loses two games this year. Watching ESPN scramble later this year when it all goes down, will be fun to watch.

RE: Todd Mcshay sez... - 10thMountain - 09-08-2013 08:15 AM

It's certainly possible this is the year we don't win the title...

But a 3pt loss to a great Clemson team and Florida beating themselves with turnovers doesn't exactly have me ready to declare the ACC is "back"

Lot of football left to be played this season

RE: Todd Mcshay sez... - hawghiggs - 09-08-2013 08:28 AM

I know everyone is looking to Bama as the program to beat in the SEC. But they should be looking at LSU. That team is going to be a monster this season.

RE: Todd Mcshay sez... - USAFMEDIC - 09-08-2013 09:57 AM

The ACC had a down period and everyone started writing them off as a power conference. They are pretty good. Both wins against the SEC were home wins, as they should be.04-cheers

RE: Todd Mcshay sez... - JRsec - 09-08-2013 10:14 AM

(09-07-2013 06:24 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

Overall the SEC for the last decade has won more national championships in the main sports than any other conference. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Track and Field (Indoor & Outdoor), Women's Gymnastics, Golf, Tennis, and Swimming and Diving. I'm not saying they have won more in any one particular sport, just more overall for those sports collectively than any other conference.

As for the SEC being in decline, dream on. Out of conference losses this year so far include our worst team Kentucky losing to Western Kentucky, Georgia losing to a really fine Clemson squad, and Muschamp's Gators continuing their woeful offensive problems of last year under the same quarterback in their 5 turnover game against a Hurricane squad that they out gained 2 to 1. Mississippi State lost to perhaps one of the two strongest of the Big 12 teams. Their defense played well enough to win, but they too insisted on playing a quarterback who for 2 years hasn't been able to consistently throw down field and they are perennially one of the worst teams in the SEC. South Carolina's loss was to rival Georgia on the Dogs home field and Vanderbilt lost a squeaker to a vastly improved Ole Miss team. By the way the SEC has only 1 loss that wasn't against P5 teams.

Texas A&M and Alabama will reveal whether or not Alabama has improved since the Virginia Tech game, or if their new offensive line is truly an issue.

Tennessee, Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Missouri look to be significantly improved over last year's teams. Top to Bottom the SEC is still by far the strongest conference in the nation. Will it win a national championship this year? Who can tell? Oregon and Clemson may have something to say about that.

Who has, or will, Ohio State play? Michigan & Wisconsin. Cal? Baylor handled Buffalo way better than Brutus. At least Michigan can add Notre Dame to their repertoire. Northwestern looks solid and could do some more damage. Purdue and Indiana look to be awful. Illinois and Minnesota look to be improved and Wisconsin a little more improved than those two. Michigan State is only 2 - 0 because of a weak opening schedule. Good thing Sparty didn't open with McNeese State huh? Iowa.....poor Iowa. Nebraska squeaks by mighty Wyoming and runs it up on a hapless Southern Mississippi. I still haven't seen anything in the Big 10 that looks like national championship material. If they are represented in the final it will be because of their God awful schedules.

Texas, U.S.C., and I might add Florida have been exposed as over hyped frauds. With Kansas State losing to South Dakota State and T.C.U.'s good, but losing performance to L.S.U. (who certainly doesn't look to be down this year) the Big 12 is looking weak. West Virginia has struggled two weeks in a row and if they had an offense they would have beaten a Sooner's team that also had four turnovers. If T.C.U. hadn't lost their starting QB this weekend I'd say the Big 12 race was between them and Baylor.

The AAC? Nope, nothing there but Louisville who will have the weakest SOS of any top 25 school and that hands down. UCF remains on their schedule.

So NJRM where outside of Clemson, Oregon, and perhaps a too soon to tell F.S.U. team does that competition come from that says the SEC is in decline? F.S.U. has to play Clemson and still has a couple of other significant games, and Clemson still has to get by South Carolina. It's way too early to make a claim like the one you made.