CSNbbs
Rice / A&M post-game thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Rice / A&M post-game thread (/thread-646975.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Rice / A&M post-game thread - mrbig - 08-31-2013 03:48 PM

I think life is easier when we separate our post-game reactions from the game thread. So here's to giving it a try!

RE: Rice / A&M post-game thread - At Ease - 08-31-2013 03:50 PM

We outgained them in yards, and almost 2-1 in TOP. Probably underscores how meaningless the latter stat is, and I wonder how much of our lost rhythm we frequently run into is the result of our glacial pace on offense.

A 4th year senior and starter should be able to come to the line of scrimmage and make calls on his own.

RE: Rice / A&M post-game thread - Wiessman - 08-31-2013 03:51 PM

We had to play mistake-free football to even make this game interesting in the 4th quarter, and we did not.

That being said, A&M made almost no mistakes, and we still managed to keep it respectable. The game could have been a lot closer at the end, which is encouraging in some ways and discouraging in others.

The TD at the end of the first half was fortunate, while missing the field goal was unfortunate. Coming right out after the break and tossing two picks made it too easy for the aggies.

Considering this performance and Tulsa's meltdown at Bowling Green, 12-1 is no longer a goal; it is an expectation. Get it done, Owls.

RE: Rice / A&M post-game thread - NYC Owl - 08-31-2013 03:57 PM

Run the Damn Ball!

Ross was a beast today (obviously), and the option game was working nicely as well.

RE: Rice / A&M post-game thread - Wiessman - 08-31-2013 03:58 PM

Also:

- I am concerned about McHargue because in addition to the two picks, the TD at the end of the first half should have been an interception as well.

- The play call to snap it deep on fourth and inches was just baffling. I knew that play was doomed the moment the offense lined up.

- Our players played with heart and good character. Considering the circumstances, that is especially commendable.

- **** texas a&m. They are a cult, not a university.

RE: Rice / A&M post-game thread - Tiki Owl - 08-31-2013 03:58 PM

For those to didn't see this at the end of the game thread...here is a vid of the MOB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVy2Wxd1miw

RE: Rice / A&M post-game thread - Hambone10 - 08-31-2013 03:59 PM

My initial thoughts are as follows:

1) We played better than the score indicated. We put up more than 500 yards on an SEC defense. Don't give me the suspensions crap... This isn't Kansas' second team... but guys A&M expects to see playing time against Alabama and the SEC.

2) A continuing theme of Rice beating Rice with false starts and snaps to a qb not looking and the option with no trailing back...

3) Christian Covington defensive POG, Jordan Taylor or Charles Ross on the offense. Disappointing was our QBs passing. They both have skills and make some incredible plays but their mistakes are disastrous.

4) We need to drop the rugby thing and just play straight up. The ONLY bad punt today was the rugby kick. HOWEVER, I can't believe we can't do a better job with targeting the ten. That was despicable.

To ESPN, props to Lou Holtz for telling it like it is. You start by disciplining your star and everyone else will fall in line... lots of props to Sumlin for that, but none for Bailiff? Oh well... perhaps better to not get the props than to accentuate the mistake and embarrass our player... I'll choose to believe that Bailiff threw himself on that sword and asked them not to talk much about it... That's the kind of guy I think he is... but I also think the announcers probably didn't care... but also props to Holtz for saying that JFF's antics were good for ESPN, but not football. That was obvious from the announcers.

RE: Rice / A&M post-game thread - Wiessman - 08-31-2013 04:00 PM

Yeah, our punting was particularly awful. That was another problem.

As for the slanted coverage, I've been accustomed to it for years now. espn turns my stomach, but they do broadcast a bunch of games, so...

Thank goodness for the mute button.

RE: Rice / A&M post-game thread - mrbig - 08-31-2013 04:02 PM

For me, despite the final score reflecting that Rice got smashed, I felt much better about Rice's performance in this game than last year's UCLA game or the previous 2 opening games against Texas.

Pros:
(1) Charles Ross - is an amazing beast. Routinely ran over SEC defenders and dragged them for 5 yards.
(2) Dillard II - had some very good runs. Rice is losing lots of experienced RB's after this year, but I have no worries after seeing Dillard running, and knowing there is plenty of other talent behind the seniors.
(3) Jordan Taylor - is amazing. He catches everything.
(4) O-line - held up great. Really impressed.
(5) Coaching - I thought the team looked very prepared and ready from the opening whistle. Nice change from previous years. Also like that we weren't punting in the 4th quarter. Didn't always love the playcalling, but those are quibbles and there was more good then bad today. I like how they went back to what was working after the failures in the 2nd and early 3rd quarter. And I'm not one to heap praise on this coaching staff.
(6) CB's - Callahan is good and the guys filling in for Gaines seemed mostly fine.
(7) Mario Hull - welcome back with a nice return and some good catches. Wish he was the #1 returner on punts and kickoffs at all times.

Undecideds:
(1) Defense - Hard to judge the defense in this game. Sure, they had some problems stopping A&M. But they also had to battle some short fields and some injuries. Give Rice Gaines and a healthy Nwosu and I feel like things will be fine. Radcliffe for the whole game would have helped, but unfortunately, injuries happen.
(2) D-line - Covington did some very nice things, everyone else was pretty quiet. How much of this was Rice versus going up against an SEC o-line? Time will tell.
(3) Safeties - A&M had some big plays, which makes me nervous. Defenders got picked on a few of the long plays, but that happens all the time without getting called and isn't really an excuse.

Cons:
(1) Team seemed like they couldn't handle their own success. Players and coaches. Coaches tried to get cute in the mid-2nd quarter and moved away from what was working. McHargue lost the accuracy he showed on the first 3-4 drives. Bunch of mental errors right when Rice had a chance to really make a statement.
(2) Special teams - a mess for the most part. Booming punts when we neeed pooches, shanks when we needed booming punts. 2 fair catches, both completely ill-advised. Missed FG (albeit long and into a tough wind).
(3) QB accuracy - McHargue put this game away with his 2 INT's to start the 2nd half, but those weren't the only misses by either QB today.
(4) Mental errors - for goodness sake, we are the smarter team. Have to be football smart. And no, I won't blame the coaches for the 2 fair catches or Ross lining up in the wrong spot a few times. Players need to be accountable for stuff like that.

RE: Rice / A&M post-game thread - Hambone10 - 08-31-2013 04:03 PM

The MOB should auction those shirts to help pay for them or to raise money. We can then suspend them for the first half of some other game

RE: Rice / A&M post-game thread - Volente Beach Owl - 08-31-2013 04:03 PM

I hope we can get an injury report -- Turner Petersen went out early and didn't return and Nate Richards limped off late in the game. Both are key players. Was anyone else injured?

RE: Rice / A&M post-game thread - Tiki Owl - 08-31-2013 04:04 PM

(08-31-2013 04:00 PM)Wiessman Wrote:  Yeah, our punting was particularly awful. That was another problem.

As for the slanted coverage, I've been accustomed to it for years now. espn turns my stomach, but they do broadcast a bunch of games, so...

Thank goodness for the mute button.

Actually listened to JP et al and ESPN. Got to hand it to JP he has improved and he, Nate, and Jose were pretty good.

RE: Rice / A&M post-game thread - Tiki Owl - 08-31-2013 04:04 PM

(08-31-2013 04:03 PM)Volente Beach Owl Wrote:  I hope we can get an injury report -- Turner Petersen went out early and didn't return and Nate Richards limped off late in the game. Both are key players. Was anyone else injured?

Post game says Richards (OL) is ok.

RE: Rice / A&M post-game thread - Caelligh - 08-31-2013 04:07 PM

I just got back home. I couldn't watch the game. :( The report I got from my family, though, was that the two interceptions deep in our territory is what did us in. Did two of Manziel's TD passes come after the interceptions?

I was pretty happy to see the score at 21-28 at the half. I didn't know how we got there, but the conclusion of the game was very much in doubt at that point.

The Manziel half-game suspension is still a joke. Everybody I talk to who pays any attention to college football says it's a joke.

RE: Rice / A&M post-game thread - Hambone10 - 08-31-2013 04:10 PM

(08-31-2013 04:07 PM)Caelligh Wrote:  I just got back home. I couldn't watch the game. :( The report I got from my family, though, was that the two interceptions deep in our territory is what did us in. Did two of Manziel's TD passes come after the interceptions?

I was pretty happy to see the score at 21-28 at the half. I didn't know how we got there, but the conclusion of the game was very much in doubt at that point.

The Manziel half-game suspension is still a joke. Everybody I talk to who pays any attention to college football says it's a joke.

Yes. I believe all three of his TDs started from our side of the 50. He's very good, but he wasn't a difference maker. His back-up was equally effective.

RE: Rice / A&M post-game thread - Wiessman - 08-31-2013 04:13 PM

It just didn't matter who played quarterback for them. The only way we were going to win this game was to score 50+ ourselves.

The thing is, we could have.

RE: Rice / A&M post-game thread - WoodlandsOwl - 08-31-2013 04:18 PM

With this Offensive Line and Running Game we could have some insane Time of Possession numbers unseen since the day of Hatfield.

Let a Defense put eight in the Box. We can still run on anyone in CUSA.

Rice / A&M post-game thread - I45owl - 08-31-2013 04:19 PM

(08-31-2013 04:03 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  The MOB should auction those shirts to help pay for them or to raise money. We can then suspend them for the first half of some other game

Make them sit out for 30 minutes next week.

RE: Rice / A&M post-game thread - WoodlandsOwl - 08-31-2013 04:20 PM

Anyone know what JFF was yelling that drew the 4th Quarter Flag?

Rice / A&M post-game thread - I45owl - 08-31-2013 04:23 PM

I think he pointed at the scoreboard, but it didn't seem to take much to light a fire under him.