CSNbbs
UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. (/thread-643818.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - exCincy Kid - 08-12-2013 01:58 PM

Will play at PBS in 2014 while renovations are completed:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9560737/cincinnati-bearcats-play-2014-home-games-paul-brown-stadium

RE: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - westwolf - 08-12-2013 03:36 PM

(08-12-2013 01:58 PM)exCincy Kid Wrote:  Will play at PBS in 2014 while renovations are completed:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9560737/cincinnati-bearcats-play-2014-home-games-paul-brown-stadium

I hope they make it to the Big 12. Not much sympathy for UConn because of lack of fan fervor in the NE, but Cincy seserves better,

RE: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - kardphan - 08-12-2013 03:39 PM

Happy to see cincy moving forward with this. Great school and some of the best fans I've been around even as a school of a rival. Playing in Paul brown for a year is never a bad thing either.

RE: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - LSUtah - 08-12-2013 03:50 PM

So are they adding seats, suites...? Article does not say.

RE: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - Bearcat2012 - 08-12-2013 03:59 PM

(08-12-2013 03:50 PM)LSUtah Wrote:  So are they adding seats, suites...? Article does not say.

The actual going forward with expansion was announced in June . Today the announcement came of playing all home games in 2014 at PBS.

Here is the article/video on the actual expansion...

http://www.gobearcats.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062513aab.html

The expanded renovation focuses on both the east and west side of the stadium. On the west side, a new press box structure will be built, adding suites, scholarship club seats and patio suites/loge boxes. The west concourse will also be renovated, including concession stands and restrooms. Improvements on the east side include expanded and additional concession offerings and restroom facilities along with enhanced fan traffic flow, including the building of skywalks to connect the upper deck with the gameday brick plaza on O'Varsity Way

RE: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - OldGoldnBlue - 08-12-2013 04:10 PM

(08-12-2013 03:39 PM)kardphan Wrote:  Happy to see cincy moving forward with this. Great school and some of the best fans I've been around even as a school of a rival. Playing in Paul brown for a year is never a bad thing either.

Too bad they have trouble getting 30k for home games.

RE: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - Bearcats#1 - 08-13-2013 08:50 AM

(08-12-2013 04:10 PM)OldGoldnBlue Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 03:39 PM)kardphan Wrote:  Happy to see cincy moving forward with this. Great school and some of the best fans I've been around even as a school of a rival. Playing in Paul brown for a year is never a bad thing either.

So as has been said time and again...the last few thousand seats at Nippert are obstructed view. In addition, when there are 35K there for a game the concourses, concessions, and bathrooms are a bear. The stadium seats 35K but isn't set up for that many people. So for UC to sell out they have to either be really good or it needs to be an opponent people really want to see. In 2009 we had a lot of capacity crowds because we were really good...ie people put up with the obstructed view seats and issues with restrooms/concourse/concession stands. To further support this, check out UC bowl travel...it's very good. We took 20K to the OB, 30K to the SB, 15K to the liberty bowl, 12K to the Belk bowl, etc. That is a nice travelling base for a team that "has trouble getting 30K for home games". Once the expansion and upgrades are done you will see a whole different situation at Nippert and UC.

RE: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - Bearcats#1 - 08-13-2013 08:52 AM

RE: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - The Cutter of Bish - 08-13-2013 09:12 AM

(08-13-2013 08:50 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

So as has been said time and again...the last few thousand seats at Nippert are obstructed view. In addition, when there are 35K there for a game the concourses, concessions, and bathrooms are a bear. The stadium seats 35K but isn't set up for that many people. So for UC to sell out they have to either be really good or it needs to be an opponent people really want to see. In 2009 we had a lot of capacity crowds because we were really good...ie people put up with the obstructed view seats and issues with restrooms/concourse/concession stands. To further support this, check out UC bowl travel...it's very good. We took 20K to the OB, 30K to the SB, 15K to the liberty bowl, 12K to the Belk bowl, etc. That is a nice travelling base for a team that "has trouble getting 30K for home games". Once the expansion and upgrades are done you will see a whole different situation at Nippert and UC.

Getting people to go to home games is one thing. I think Cincy's been dismissed for football because they don't travel well, either.

But, I really hope it gets you guys into a better conference. I actually thought UC was more deserving of the ACC bid than UL. UC football kind of monopolized the top of the Big East. Just a shame there's no "oh we beat Florida!" or "we scored on Clemson again" to make a driving point on merit that's already there.

RE: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - Dr. Isaly von Yinzer - 08-13-2013 09:19 AM

(08-12-2013 03:36 PM)westwolf Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 01:58 PM)exCincy Kid Wrote:  Will play at PBS in 2014 while renovations are completed:

I hope they make it to the Big 12. Not much sympathy for UConn because of lack of fan fervor in the NE, but Cincy seserves better,

Well, that and the fact that UConn or Kansas would win the Big 12 hoops every single year.

RE: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - mlb - 08-13-2013 09:51 AM

(08-13-2013 09:12 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Getting people to go to home games is one thing. I think Cincy's been dismissed for football because they don't travel well, either.

Actually, that is completely false. In the Big East, there was WVU then UL and UC were very close to 2nd in terms of the travelling fan base. UC brought 10,000 fans to Birmingham, 20,000 to Miami (didn't completely sell out the allotment because tickets were so cheap through other means online), and is estimated to have had over 30,000 people in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl. The business owners in New Orleans said they thought UC had twice as many fans as Florida there for the weekend.

RE: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - Bearcats#1 - 08-13-2013 12:32 PM

(08-13-2013 09:12 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  
(08-13-2013 08:50 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

Getting people to go to home games is one thing. I think Cincy's been dismissed for football because they don't travel well, either.

But, I really hope it gets you guys into a better conference. I actually thought UC was more deserving of the ACC bid than UL. UC football kind of monopolized the top of the Big East. Just a shame there's no "oh we beat Florida!" or "we scored on Clemson again" to make a driving point on merit that's already there.

UC travels very well....

RE: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - ringmaster - 08-13-2013 12:38 PM

(08-13-2013 09:51 AM)mlb Wrote:  
(08-13-2013 09:12 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Getting people to go to home games is one thing. I think Cincy's been dismissed for football because they don't travel well, either.

Actually, that is completely false. In the Big East, there was WVU then UL and UC were very close to 2nd in terms of the travelling fan base. UC brought 10,000 fans to Birmingham, 20,000 to Miami (didn't completely sell out the allotment because tickets were so cheap through other means online), and is estimated to have had over 30,000 people in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl. The business owners in New Orleans said they thought UC had twice as many fans as Florida there for the weekend.

I can vouch for this. I was in New Orleans during that Sugar Bowl with my wife for our five-year anniversary. We were all over Bourbon St and the French Quarter for New Year's Eve and the few days before that, and I can assure you there were many more Bearcats than Gators in attendance. EDIT: At least in the day or two run-up prior to the Sugar Bowl. We left well before the game.

RE: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - uccheese - 08-13-2013 12:42 PM

Ya it was extreme at the game. I was sitting on the UC "side" which extended for basically the whole stadium minus right behind the Gators sideline.

RE: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - BigOwensboroCard - 08-13-2013 12:44 PM

I would love to see Cincinnati get a bigger venue, but really that is a lot of dough for just 5 thousand additional seats. I hope this will provide them with what they are in need of to move up when the time comes, but for me I would rather see them bulldoze it all down ( seating that is ) and build all new. Take the field out go down if at all possible for more seating, and get with a architect and see if seating could be placed amongst a couple of roof tops etcs where the views are excellent. Again I hope this is something that will benefit them long term for that is a lot of money.

RE: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - bctn8n - 08-13-2013 12:53 PM

(08-13-2013 12:44 PM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  I would love to see Cincinnati get a bigger venue, but really that is a lot of dough for just 5 thousand additional seats. I hope this will provide them with what they are in need of to move up when the time comes, but for me I would rather see them bulldoze it all down ( seating that is ) and build all new. Take the field out go down if at all possible for more seating, and get with a architect and see if seating could be placed amongst a couple of roof tops etcs where the views are excellent. Again I hope this is something that will benefit them long term for that is a lot of money.

-This cant happen. We are already as low as you can go.

-There is no way the Universoty will allow the Athletic department to build on top of buildings on campus. This will interfere with UC's world renowned architecture that surrounds the stadium.

RE: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - mlb - 08-13-2013 12:53 PM

(08-13-2013 12:44 PM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  I would love to see Cincinnati get a bigger venue, but really that is a lot of dough for just 5 thousand additional seats. I hope this will provide them with what they are in need of to move up when the time comes, but for me I would rather see them bulldoze it all down ( seating that is ) and build all new. Take the field out go down if at all possible for more seating, and get with a architect and see if seating could be placed amongst a couple of roof tops etcs where the views are excellent. Again I hope this is something that will benefit them long term for that is a lot of money.

This was all about the luxury suites. The seats were not even guaranteed when they first started designing it.

RE: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - uccheese - 08-13-2013 01:01 PM

Outside of making up fake attendance numbers like everyone else, I'm not sure what more seats would do. We already have a venue that can be used if their is a huge draw.

RE: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - Bearcats#1 - 08-13-2013 03:15 PM

Nippert upgrade/expansion was more about the upgrade...and addition of premium seating (luxury suites, loge boxes, etc). It will look sharp when it's done, be first class and the stadium should be around 40K when finished...and it will still be the Wrigley Field of college football. Can't wait. The Nip, when full is a tremendous home field for UC and very very loud.

For the games that require over 40K we can always use PBS....

RE: UC moving forward with major Nippert stadium renovations. - SuperFlyBCat - 08-13-2013 03:43 PM

We can use PBS downtown for any marquee games. The ROI one the premium seating and the 18 suites, which are already sold out, is strong. The concourses, concessions, and restroom are being upgraded, expanded etc.
Money well spent.