CSNbbs
Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 (/thread-643133.html)

Pages: 1 2

Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - georgia_tech_swagger - 08-07-2013 07:55 AM

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/23040941/did-you-see-what-jay-bilas-did-to-the-shopncaasportscom-search-engine

RE: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - QuestionSocratic - 08-07-2013 08:02 AM

Too bad Bilas doesn't do football.

RE: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - bctn8n - 08-07-2013 09:27 AM

Classic

RE: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - bigblueblindness - 08-07-2013 09:41 AM

With his legal background, awesome communication skills (oral and written), and general philosophy toward college athletics, I would be in favor of Bilas taking Emmert's place in a heartbeat.

RE: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - NJRedMan - 08-07-2013 11:04 AM

(08-07-2013 09:41 AM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  With his legal background, awesome communication skills (oral and written), and general philosophy toward college athletics, I would be in favor of Bilas taking Emmert's place in a heartbeat.

No, it's much easier to be a critic than an actual administrator. Criticizing is easy, leading is hard.

RE: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - bearcatlawjd - 08-07-2013 11:16 AM

Bilas is one of the few ESPN guys I respect. Too bad the rest are just talking heads.

RE: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - stever20 - 08-07-2013 12:49 PM

I actually totally disagree with Bilas. If players were allowed to profit on jersey sales, it would open up such a can of worms that no one thinks about. boosters could purchase tons of jerseys via themselves and the companies they own. It's way too much of a slippery slope.

RE: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - Niner National - 08-07-2013 01:33 PM

(08-07-2013 12:49 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I actually totally disagree with Bilas. If players were allowed to profit on jersey sales, it would open up such a can of worms that no one thinks about. boosters could purchase tons of jerseys via themselves and the companies they own. It's way too much of a slippery slope.

Bilas' point was that the NCAA was full of ****.

They claim they don't sell the likeness of college athletes because the jerseys don't have names on them, but they clearly have their site search engine set up so that numbers are tied directly to searches for players names.

RE: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - Wedge - 08-07-2013 01:42 PM

(08-07-2013 01:33 PM)Niner National Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 12:49 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I actually totally disagree with Bilas. If players were allowed to profit on jersey sales, it would open up such a can of worms that no one thinks about. boosters could purchase tons of jerseys via themselves and the companies they own. It's way too much of a slippery slope.

Bilas' point was that the NCAA was full of ****.

They claim they don't sell the likeness of college athletes because the jerseys don't have names on them, but they clearly have their site search engine set up so that numbers are tied directly to searches for players names.

Yeah, the NCAA has no business doing that.

If there's a concern about jersey purchases becoming disguised cash payments to players, then set it up so that the players' money goes into an account that they can access only after they are done competing in college.

And there's no excuse for not paying former players whose jerseys, photos, etc. (see the Desmond Howard article) are still being sold long after their college days are done.

RE: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - bigblueblindness - 08-07-2013 01:54 PM

(08-07-2013 11:04 AM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 09:41 AM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  With his legal background, awesome communication skills (oral and written), and general philosophy toward college athletics, I would be in favor of Bilas taking Emmert's place in a heartbeat.

No, it's much easier to be a critic than an actual administrator. Criticizing is easy, leading is hard.

I'm not saying he would take the job, but I think he would be good if he did. He would probably be leaving too much money on the table to ever want to make such a move. The guy started for Duke all four years under Coach K, was his assistant coach for three years, has been practicing law for over 20 years, and has a ton of written and spoken material on processes and legislation that would benefit the NCAA. He has gone above and beyond his responsibilities as simply a basketball analyst; he is the guy that people call to be on professional forums to provide insight on NCAA structure and practices. If nothing else, I believe he recognizes the problems as well as anyone and has the ability to approach them.

RE: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - NJRedMan - 08-07-2013 01:58 PM

(08-07-2013 01:54 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  

I'm not saying he would take the job, but I think he would be good if he did. He would probably be leaving too much money on the table to ever want to make such a move. The guy started for Duke all four years under Coach K, was his assistant coach for three years, has been practicing law for over 20 years, and has a ton of written and spoken material on processes and legislation that would benefit the NCAA. He has gone above and beyond his responsibilities as simply a basketball analyst; he is the guy that people call to be on professional forums to provide insight on NCAA structure and practices. If nothing else, I believe he recognizes the problems as well as anyone and has the ability to approach them.

I never said he would take the job either, i'm saying it's easier to look good while criticizing than it is to actually lead people. How would Bilas be able to get all of those Presidents to come to a consensus? Thats great that he has a law degree and has written and spoke a lot on college sports. Awesome. Now get 300+ presidents to agree to some massive and extreme changes. Good luck.

Is he smart? Sure. Has he ever been in an actual leadership role in the corporate world? No. Ever been an administrator? No. The head of the NCAA is like being a conference commish, you're not actually in charge, you work for those you're trying to lead. They have the final say, not you.

RE: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - perimeterpost - 08-07-2013 02:23 PM

so that $87,280 in Tuition & Fees and Room & Board that a football player at A&M gets during his eligibility, do you charge him for that if he's going to profit off of his place on the team or does he get to keep that too?

Signed,

An un-athletic college graduate with tens of thousands of dollars in student loans and a job that doesn't pay 7 figures right out of school who could care less about a future millionaire's money problems as a student.

RE: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - bigblueblindness - 08-07-2013 02:36 PM

(08-07-2013 01:58 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 01:54 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  

I never said he would take the job either, i'm saying it's easier to look good while criticizing than it is to actually lead people. How would Bilas be able to get all of those Presidents to come to a consensus? Thats great that he has a law degree and has written and spoke a lot on college sports. Awesome. Now get 300+ presidents to agree to some massive and extreme changes. Good luck.

Is he smart? Sure. Has he ever been in an actual leadership role in the corporate world? No. Ever been an administrator? No. The head of the NCAA is like being a conference commish, you're not actually in charge, you work for those you're trying to lead. They have the final say, not you.

If I had the skills and opportunities of Jay Bilas throughout his life, I would not take a leadership role in the corporate world, either. What he does now is surely more enjoyable, he makes a major impact, and he definitely earns enough to keep the family happy and secure. You are right, the NCAA commissioner is a consensus builder, not a dictator. 5 years ago, you would be right about a guy like Bilas. Today, I believe we are at such a tipping point that many schools seem ready and willing to go through major changes, and, based on my reading and listening, it seems that the top tier schools and Bilas are on the same page in many regards. I understand that there are many more schools that just the top tier, but those schools drive the bus and know what needs to be done for student equity and to continue the massive revenue stream that keeps so many of the NCAA's operations for the smaller schools afloat.

If you don't like Bilas, I'll through out another name: Bob Bowlsby. I have been very impressed with him since he has stepped into the Big 12. If there was ever a guy with a pedigree for NCAA commissioner, it is him, and he is in a position to lead for years to come.

RE: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - Wedge - 08-07-2013 02:44 PM

(08-07-2013 02:23 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  so that $87,280 in Tuition & Fees and Room & Board that a football player at A&M gets during his eligibility, do you charge him for that if he's going to profit off of his place on the team or does he get to keep that too?

Signed,

An un-athletic college graduate with tens of thousands of dollars in student loans and a job that doesn't pay 7 figures right out of school who could care less about a future millionaire's money problems as a student.

Don't drink Jim Delany's Kool-Aid on this topic.

Manziel is obviously not going to TAMU to get a degree. The tuition and fees thus don't have value to him like they do to real students. As for room & board, again, the only reason he is in College Station is because of his (technically non-paying) job as an Aggie football player. He's essentially an employee whose living expenses are being paid by his company so that he can live near where his company wants him to work.

RE: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - perimeterpost - 08-07-2013 04:20 PM

(08-07-2013 02:44 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 02:23 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  so that $87,280 in Tuition & Fees and Room & Board that a football player at A&M gets during his eligibility, do you charge him for that if he's going to profit off of his place on the team or does he get to keep that too?

Signed,

Manziel is obviously not going to TAMU to get a degree. The tuition and fees thus don't have value to him like they do to real students. As for room & board, again, the only reason he is in College Station is because of his (technically non-paying) job as an Aggie football player. He's essentially an employee whose living expenses are being paid by his company so that he can live near where his company wants him to work.

He's not an employee, he's a student athlete. He's given free room and board and a quality education in exchange for representing the school on one of its athletic teams. If he doesn't like it he can go get a real job somewhere else.

RE: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - Native Georgian - 08-07-2013 05:48 PM

I agree with Bilas about the basic hypocrisy of the NCAA, and I agree with Perimeterpost about the status of Manziel and other "celebrity" scholarship athletes, who have a very sweet deal going, as it is.

If we consider Manziel an "employee" (which I do not), that actually works against Bilas' implied point that the players are being taken for an unfair advantage by the NCAA. Because if players are employees, then for the employer to license their names/images (or to allow 3rd-parties to do so) is simply part of the employment contract.

RE: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - Dr. Isaly von Yinzer - 08-07-2013 06:27 PM

Good for Bilas! The NCAA's hypocrisy is astounding! That said, rules are rules and if it is proven Manziel profited from the sale of autographs, it is my view that he should be suspended for at least the season and possibly forever.

RE: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - ilovegymnast - 08-07-2013 08:36 PM

(08-07-2013 04:20 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 02:44 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

Signed,

He's not an employee, he's a student athlete. He's given free room and board and a quality education in exchange for representing the school on one of its athletic teams. If he doesn't like it he can go get a real job somewhere else.

They could easily fix everything by switching from student athlete to intern and there would be no need to pay them. Like the real business world where they give experience instead of pay. No one would question then if they did then it is something that would affects a whole lot of companies that look for free labor out of college kids.

RE: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - Native Georgian - 08-07-2013 10:02 PM

(08-07-2013 08:36 PM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 04:20 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 02:44 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Manziel is obviously not going to TAMU to get a degree. The tuition and fees thus don't have value to him like they do to real students. As for room & board, again, the only reason he is in College Station is because of his (technically non-paying) job as an Aggie football player. He's essentially an employee whose living expenses are being paid by his company so that he can live near where his company wants him to work.

They could easily fix everything by switching from student athlete to intern and there would be no need to pay them. Like the real business world where they give experience instead of pay. No one would question then if they did then it is something that would affects a whole lot of companies that look for free labor out of college kids.
The suggestion by ilovegymnast would actually be much more transparent and above-board than the status quo.

RE: Bilas 1 -- NCAA 0 - CommuterBob - 08-07-2013 11:11 PM

Here's irony for you: Bilas gets paid to comment on and write about college kids, and the NCAA profits from his publicity. He himself makes money off of college athletics - and quite the hefty sum at that - and contributes to the success of the NCAA. I don't hear or read him denouncing himself, but then again you never would.