CSNbbs
Preferred rivals - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC Conference Talk (/forum-246.html)
+---- Thread: Preferred rivals (/thread-639776.html)

Pages: 1 2

Preferred rivals - bigblueblindness - 07-12-2013 01:28 PM

We have so many new members on the SEC board that I thought we could bring back a fun little fantasy game since things are so slow right now. Tell which 10 schools your fan-base would prefer to face as annual rivals in every sport from football down to lady's shot-put. Take in any considerations you wish. Current conference affiliation does not matter. Remember that you would still have room to schedule other people every several years. For example, UK loves playing Auburn, but I'm not sure that either UK or Auburn would clamor to play annually in every sport considering the other rivals we may want to pursue.

Last time we did this, only one fan was represented for most teams. Since we now have multiple posters that are fans for a lot of the teams, let's see if each school's fans can actually come to a consensus. I'll start for UK. Also, just because you pick a team doesn't mean they would necessarily pick you back (my choice of Ohio State would be such a potential situation). If you see any fan-base pick a school that makes no realistic sense at all, do what we do best... call them out on it! Mine are in order of who I think would reciprocate and want UK in their top 10, as well.

1. Louisville
2. Tennessee
3. West Virginia (peas and carrots as far as culture)
4. Indiana (making fun of Tom Crean is too much fun)
5. Virginia Tech
6. North Carolina
7. South Carolina
8. Georgia
9. Florida (would understand if they want to pursue others closer to them)
10. Ohio State

Vandy is a rival of convenience and I wouldn't mind losing them, but some may disagree. I think Illinois or Missouri could be rivals if we had more history.

RE: Preferred rivals - bigblueblindness - 07-12-2013 02:01 PM

I am going to do one for Vandy, too, because I don't think they have any fans on here, and I have a strong opinion on who they should be playing since I live in Nashville and have a lot of friends with connections there:

1. Duke
2. Wake Forest
3. Northwestern (very disappointed that Vandy let this football series go. Long term mistake, IMO.)
4. Tennessee
5. Georgia Tech (very similar cultures, and the Nashville/Atlanta connection makes for an instant rivalry)
6. Ole Miss
7. Miami
8. Baylor
9. TCU
10. Tulane (killer road-trips both ways, plus they have much more in common than Vandy would for just about anyone else in the region)

RE: Preferred rivals - USAFMEDIC - 07-12-2013 02:14 PM

For Missouri:

1. Arkansas ( make an annual Ozark Corn Cob Pipe Award)
2. Illinois ( Mississippi River rival. Significant history between the two)
3. Tennessee ( just an awesome road trip to the Smokeys)
4. Oklahoma ( renew the annual Peace Pipe Award)
5. Kansas (century plus rivalry)
6. Ole Miss (always has been a good game. Mississippi River states)
7. Kentucky (another Mississippi River rival)
8. Iowa (another next door potential rival)
9. Georgia ( because they are Georgia)
10.Florida (The bi-annual Disney trip)

RE: Preferred rivals - bigblueblindness - 07-12-2013 02:19 PM

(07-12-2013 02:14 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  For Missouri:

1. Arkansas
2. Illinois
3. Tennessee
4. Iowa
5. Kansas
6. Ole Miss
7. Kentucky
8. Georgia
9. South Carolina
10.Florida

Missouri is well positioned to have good rivalries all around them, even if they just played schools that touch the state border. Interesting that you did not include Nebraska or Oklahoma. I know you too well, Medic, on USC, UGA, and UF... you want those fertile recruiting areas!

RE: Preferred rivals - USAFMEDIC - 07-12-2013 02:31 PM

(07-12-2013 02:19 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  

1. Arkansas
2. Illinois
3. Tennessee
4. Iowa
5. Kansas
6. Ole Miss
7. Kentucky
8. Georgia
9. South Carolina
10.Florida

Missouri is well positioned to have good rivalries all around them, even if they just played schools that touch the state border. Interesting that you did not include Nebraska or Oklahoma. I know you too well, Medic, on USC, UGA, and UF... you want those fertile recruiting areas!
Well honestly, I did add OU and Iowa. Nebraska is totally off my radar. Never care to play them again...

RE: Preferred rivals - USAFMEDIC - 07-12-2013 02:37 PM

After further consideration this is my final choice:

For Missouri:

RE: Preferred rivals - bigblueblindness - 07-12-2013 02:51 PM

(07-12-2013 02:37 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  After further consideration this is my final choice:

For Missouri:

Those top 8 would be awesome for both Missouri and the rival school. I would understand Georgia and Florida not having Missouri in their top 10 just because of the proximity of so many other great schools to them. I noted the same thing for Florida as it concerns UK. Actually, I'll do one for Florida real quick, and their fans can tell me where it is off base.

1. Florida State
2. Georgia
3. Auburn
4. South Carolina
5. Tennessee
6. North Carolina (this is a great cultural match)
7. LSU
8, 9, and 10 - Just not sure. Maybe Ole Miss, Bama, UK, Arkansas? Maybe Texas would see the benefit of playing them annually. I don't think Miami would be a choice for Florida since they have as much to lose in that rivalry as to gain. I also don't think they would double up in a state by playing Ga. Tech or Clemson, but I may be wrong there.

RE: Preferred rivals - USAFMEDIC - 07-12-2013 03:30 PM

(07-12-2013 02:51 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  
(07-12-2013 02:37 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  After further consideration this is my final choice:

For Missouri:

Those top 8 would be awesome for both Missouri and the rival school. I would understand Georgia and Florida not having Missouri in their top 10 just because of the proximity of so many other great schools to them. I noted the same thing for Florida as it concerns UK. Actually, I'll do one for Florida real quick, and their fans can tell me where it is off base.

1. Florida State
2. Georgia
3. Auburn
4. South Carolina
5. Tennessee
6. North Carolina (this is a great cultural match)
7. LSU
8, 9, and 10 - Just not sure. Maybe Ole Miss, Bama, UK, Arkansas? Maybe Texas would see the benefit of playing them annually. I don't think Miami would be a choice for Florida since they have as much to lose in that rivalry as to gain. I also don't think they would double up in a state by playing Ga. Tech or Clemson, but I may be wrong there.
8. Georgia Tech
9. Virginia
10.Virginia Tech

RE: Preferred rivals - Phlipper33 - 07-12-2013 04:03 PM

Going for Texas A&M, the first school I list has to be Texas. I love that we're not in the same conference anymore but I'd still love to play them in every sport every year.

2-4 I could list in any order and they would be Arkansas, LSU, and Texas Tech. Arkansas has the SWC history and we renewed our rivalry with them shortly before joining the SEC. LSU doesn't share as much history but I think is most relevant now. Tech shares both SWC and Big 12 history, where it became one of the more heated rivalries. Oh, and Kliff Kingsbury.

5 OU - I'll admit this is pretty much because of football. But as a border state I'd like to develop this rivalry more
6 Alabama - Junction Boys, the Bear Bryant rivalry.
7. Virginia Tech - miltary tradition
8. Dallas/Fort Worth - I'd love a rotation of SMU/TCU played every other year, could also include UT-Arlington for baseball.
9. Houston Area - U of Houston for most sports - but give me Rice in baseball every year.
10. Oklahoma St - not entirely sure on this one, but I think they're the best of the remaining large schools in nearby states. If I were to go with any other school farther away, I'd choose Notre Dame, although we don't have much of a history with them at all. Would love to also play other in-state schools on rotating basis: UTEP, UTSA, Texas St, Sam Houston, Lamar, UNT, etc.

RE: Preferred rivals - JRsec - 07-12-2013 07:16 PM

For Auburn:
1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Georgia Tech
4. Florida
5. Tennessee
6. South Carolina
7. Clemson
8. Florida State
9. Louisiana State
10. Mississippi State

RE: Preferred rivals - georgia_tech_swagger - 07-12-2013 08:08 PM

1) Clean Old Fashioned Hate: UGAg (But if "The Hill" doesn't relent it may not be worth it in the long term any more)
2) The Battle of I-85: Clemson
3) Florida State

(gap)

4) Auburn
5) Tennessee
6) Virginia Tech

(gap)

7) Virginia (purely for recent rage and Groh ... wouldn't stay this high long term)
8) SEC West Potluck (anybody but LSU or Bama (still hold a grudge over Bear's betrayal))
9) SEC East Leftovers (USC-east, UK, Vandy, UF)
10) UNC

RE: Preferred rivals - ncbeta - 07-12-2013 11:12 PM

UT:

Just for me.. not the rest of the UT fans.

1. Vandy
2. UK
3. 'Bama
4. Georgia
5. Florida
6. Auburn
7. South Carolina
8. Southern Cal.
9. VT
10. Memphis- Basketball (Probably could move up to like #5/6 if both teams were good at the same time for once..)

RE: Preferred rivals - 10thMountain - 07-13-2013 04:16 PM

1) UT - glad to be away from them and I could care less that we're never playing them again outside bowl games and NCAA tournaments but most of our older alums wont just let it go and will have to comes to terms with this on their own.

2) LSU

3) Arkansas

4) Baylor (pure convenience of a 60 min drive but could take or leave)

5) Alabama

6) Auburn

7) Georgia Tech

8) Florida

9) Virginia Tech

10) SMU/TCU

RE: Preferred rivals - STLfan - 07-14-2013 05:07 PM

I think I'd go with

1. kansas (too much history not to have them at the top, even if they are still crying about us leaving)
2. Nebraska (would love to play them every year in Arrowhead. A ton of history here as well)
3. Illinois (Braggin Rights is great, need to bring back the Football game asl well)
4. Arkansas (already the main team I root against in the SEC)
5. Oklahoma (A lot of history here as well)
6. Tennessee (border state. Surprised we haven't played more)
7. Kentucky (border state. Surprised we haven't played more)
8. Ole Miss (close by, good games in the past, could grow into something good.)
9. Texas (good for recruiting and plenty of hate given the way the ruled/destroyed the Big 12)
10. Texas A&M (fellow Big 12 escapee, good recruiting area)

I think over time as we develop more histroy in our new conference more SEC teams will move up this list.

RE: Preferred rivals - USAFMEDIC - 07-15-2013 12:42 PM

(07-14-2013 05:07 PM)STLfan Wrote:  

I think I'd go with

1. kansas (too much history not to have them at the top, even if they are still crying about us leaving)
2. Nebraska (would love to play them every year in Arrowhead. A ton of history here as well)
3. Illinois (Braggin Rights is great, need to bring back the Football game asl well)
4. Arkansas (already the main team I root against in the SEC)
5. Oklahoma (A lot of history here as well)
6. Tennessee (border state. Surprised we haven't played more)
7. Kentucky (border state. Surprised we haven't played more)
8. Ole Miss (close by, good games in the past, could grow into something good.)
9. Texas (good for recruiting and plenty of hate given the way the ruled/destroyed the Big 12)
10. Texas A&M (fellow Big 12 escapee, good recruiting area)

I think over time as we develop more histroy in our new conference more SEC teams will move up this list.
I do like your choices and your reasons. We really need that Illinois game at Edward Jones Dome back.

RE: Preferred rivals - Gamecock - 07-16-2013 10:11 PM

South Carolina:

Clemson
Georgia
Florida
Tennessee

Kentucky
Vandy
Auburn
North Carolina maybe

Any other random SEC teams to round out the top ten. LSU, Bama, A&M, Missouri, Ole Miss, Miss St, and Arkansas are all interchangeable to me.

RE: Preferred rivals - Gamecock - 07-16-2013 10:12 PM

Bullet to my head I'd take LSU and Ole Miss, but only because they are great road trips

RE: Preferred rivals - ohio1317 - 07-20-2013 12:38 PM

Not for an SEC team, but I like the thread idea. Anything beyond #1/2 is pretty interchangable.

1. Michigan (no better way to end the regular season than beating the state up north).
2. Illinois: This seems odd and most OSU fans would put the Illini lower, but it is our only trophey game and our original Big Ten rival when we joined the conference 100 years ago.
3. Wisconsin
4. Iowa
5. Penn State
6. Purdue
7. Northwestern
8. Michigan State
9. Indiana
10. Minnesota
11. Nebraska (great game, but minimium history)

RE: Preferred rivals - JRsec - 07-20-2013 01:11 PM

(07-20-2013 12:38 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Not for an SEC team, but I like the thread idea. Anything beyond #1/2 is pretty interchangable.

1. Michigan (no better way to end the regular season than beating the state up north).
2. Illinois: This seems odd and most OSU fans would put the Illini lower, but it is our only trophey game and our original Big Ten rival when we joined the conference 100 years ago.
3. Wisconsin
4. Iowa
5. Penn State
6. Purdue
7. Northwestern
8. Michigan State
9. Indiana
10. Minnesota

You and any of the Big 10 guys are welcome to post here anytime as we all suffer from the same board maladies:
1. Big 10 & SEC hated for expansion.
2. Big 10 & SEC hated for success.
3. Big 10 & SEC hated for our income disparity with others.
4. Big 10 & SEC hated by all little schools whose posters do nothing but insult us without provocation and offer no substantial details or decent argumentation for their butt hurt ideas.
5. Big 10 & SEC hated by Big 12 and ACC (out of fear we are going to take more of their schools).
6. Most Big 10 posters here, like most SEC posters are discussion oriented and seldom issue ad hominems.
7. We don't have many but PAC posters are welcome as well.

RE: Preferred rivals - USAFMEDIC - 07-20-2013 05:15 PM

(07-20-2013 01:11 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-20-2013 12:38 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Not for an SEC team, but I like the thread idea. Anything beyond #1/2 is pretty interchangable.

3. Wisconsin
4. Iowa
5. Penn State
6. Purdue
7. Northwestern
8. Michigan State
9. Indiana
10. Minnesota

You and any of the Big 10 guys are welcome to post here anytime as we all suffer from the same board maladies:
1. Big 10 & SEC hated for expansion.
2. Big 10 & SEC hated for success.
3. Big 10 & SEC hated for our income disparity with others.
4. Big 10 & SEC hated by all little schools whose posters do nothing but insult us without provocation and offer no substantial details or decent argumentation for their butt hurt ideas.
5. Big 10 & SEC hated by Big 12 and ACC (out of fear we are going to take more of their schools).
6. Most Big 10 posters here, like most SEC posters are discussion oriented and seldom issue ad hominems.
7. We don't have many but PAC posters are welcome as well.
04-bow