CSNbbs
LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment (/thread-638502.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - techdawg88 - 07-01-2013 02:34 PM

14. Louisiana Tech
The Bulldogs were a geographic misfit in the WAC but should be a perfect fit in a revamped Conference USA. With the change in conferences, Louisiana Tech is in a much better league in terms of developing geographic rivals, which includes North Texas, Rice, UTEP, UTSA and Southern Miss. The Bulldogs should find life in Conference USA a little easier when it comes to recruiting; and with no established mid-majors like Boise State, Utah State or Fresno State to worry about in their new league, Louisiana Tech has a chance to become one of the premier programs in C-USA.

13. UTSA
No program in college football has experienced quite the ascension that UTSA has over the last few years. The Roadrunners played 2011 as an I-AA Independent and jumped to the WAC for '12. UTSA was impressive in its first season on the FBS level, winning eight games – with victories over New Mexico State, Idaho, and Texas State. The Roadrunners are on the move once again, as Larry Coker’s team is joining Conference USA. UTSA will need time to build depth and get acquainted to its new league members, but the Roadrunners have a rich recruiting area, along with a good fan base to help ease the transition to life as a full-time FBS member.

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-15-winners-conference-realignment

Re: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - ark30inf - 07-01-2013 02:39 PM

I think (as much as it is against my nature) that LaTech will be the best of the CUSA moves.

RE: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - SApuro - 07-01-2013 02:59 PM

People forget UTSA had a open invitation to join the MWC. We chose CUSA. As long as Texas teams stick around I'm pleased with CUSA-West.

RE: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - Deuce - 07-01-2013 03:42 PM

(07-01-2013 02:59 PM)SApuro Wrote:  People forget UTSA had a open invitation to join the MWC. We chose CUSA. As long as Texas teams stick around I'm pleased with CUSA-West.
yeah, but UTEP had that invite first, and we just copied them by going to C-USA.

05-stirthepot

03-lmfao

RE: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - Native Georgian - 07-01-2013 03:55 PM

I don't know a whole lot of UTEP people, but the handful I've spoken to over the last 8 years are unanimous that they want for UTEP to be in a league with as many Texas-based members as possible.

RE: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - zyxwvutsru - 07-01-2013 04:20 PM

(07-01-2013 03:55 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  I don't know a whole lot of UTEP people, but the handful I've spoken to over the last 8 years are unanimous that they want for UTEP to be in a league with as many Texas-based members as possible.

That's the university administration's position as well. However, some of us would like to move to the MWC. But, as long as we are members of CUSA, we will be good conference mates.

RE: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - techdawg88 - 07-01-2013 04:23 PM

(07-01-2013 03:55 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  I don't know a whole lot of UTEP people, but the handful I've spoken to over the last 8 years are unanimous that they want for UTEP to be in a league with as many Texas-based members as possible.

IA, it makes sense for UTEP to be with other Texas schools. The only problem I'd have if I was them is that El Paso is closer to Los Angeles than it is to Houston

RE: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - PirateTreasureNC - 07-01-2013 05:17 PM

I agree on those two being in good situations. It still remains to be seen if UTSA can wear the big boy pants though.

RE: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - T_Won1 - 07-01-2013 05:21 PM

(07-01-2013 05:17 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  I agree on those two being in good situations. It still remains to be seen if UTSA can wear the big boy pants though.

I think UTSA is better than Memphis and Tulane already. (but that's hardly "big boy pants" to compare them to).

RE: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - MG61 - 07-01-2013 05:24 PM

(07-01-2013 04:23 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  

IA, it makes sense for UTEP to be with other Texas schools. The only problem I'd have if I was them is that El Paso is closer to Los Angeles than it is to Houston

There's a whole lot of Texas. Texarkana is closer to Chicago than El Paso. El Paso is closer to LA than Texarkana. That said, it's not hard to get to El Paso via SW Airline. Glad we've got them as a conference mate !04-cheers

RE: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - TulsaEye - 07-01-2013 05:27 PM

(07-01-2013 02:39 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  I think (as much as it is against my nature) that LaTech will be the best of the CUSA moves.
La Tech has a long and proven history on the Div I level. It makes a difference. Everyone else is as yet unproven. Yes I am putting UTSA in the unproven category. Even as watered down as C-USA will be this year its still better than the WAC.

RE: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - UofMemphis - 07-01-2013 05:31 PM

(07-01-2013 05:21 PM)T_Won1 Wrote:  
(07-01-2013 05:17 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  I agree on those two being in good situations. It still remains to be seen if UTSA can wear the big boy pants though.

I think UTSA is better than Memphis and Tulane already. (but that's hardly "big boy pants" to compare them to).

03-lmfao

If you say so chief...

RE: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - PirateTreasureNC - 07-01-2013 05:37 PM

Did you get high today?
[Image: towelie-intervention-sp.jpg]
"I have bad ideas when I'm high"

*seriously though to UTSA fans. I was kind of surprised how well you did do last year. But again, its big boy time this year.

RE: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - T_Won1 - 07-01-2013 05:47 PM

(07-01-2013 05:37 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

Did you get high today?

*seriously though to UTSA fans. I was kind of surprised how well you did do last year. But again, its big boy time this year.

We played them last year. They are solid. The computers have them ranked ahead of Memphis and Tulane last year.

RE: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - cortezthekiller - 07-01-2013 05:58 PM

I like all the new teams but I dont think LT will find the going any easier with Marshall, USM, MTSU, Rice, UTEP, etc than they did with Utah St and Fresno. I will admit two of their recent teams would have been at the top of the league. Since they were top 25 last yr I have to assume they were better than Fresno and Utah St last yr, right?

RE: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - UofMemphis - 07-01-2013 05:59 PM

(07-01-2013 05:47 PM)T_Won1 Wrote:  
(07-01-2013 05:37 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

Did you get high today?

We played them last year. They are solid. The computers have them ranked ahead of Memphis and Tulane last year.

Wake me up when they make 5 bowls in 6 season with a Heisman candidate on the roster...and don't even try and compare our basketball programs...UTSA...please.

RE: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - PGPirate - 07-01-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:15. Mid-American Conference
What realignment? That’s what the MAC is saying after avoiding any major departures of their own members. The conference could stand to add a 14th team to balance the divisions, but avoiding a massive exodus was a huge boost for weeknight MACtion.

LOL....the MAC is stable because their teams bring NOTHING. As much the chaos in CUSA sucks, it means teams are wanted.

RE: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - SApuro - 07-01-2013 06:22 PM

UTSA gets no love. Most people have never seen us play. No sweat off my balls. Soon enough teams will be welcomed at the dome.

Tech is in a great position. No longer on the WAC island.

CUSA-W is in good shape.

RE: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - rabidTU2 - 07-01-2013 06:30 PM

Personally, I want us to keep some of our rivalries with our friends in CUSA by scheuling them in all sports, especially FB and basketball. We are an easy drive to NT and La Tech isn't far. Rice is our academically aligned brother and UTEP has been a great rival. We actually need those series' for purposes of inexpensive travel, recruiting and visiting attendence. We have a series coming with Toledo and play Bowling Green again, but IMO they add nothing to our schedule. The teams in CUSA certainly do and we'd hope the feeling is mutual.

RE: LaTech & UTSA are winners in conference realignment - laxtonto - 07-02-2013 02:40 PM

I am always shocked when I see these lists of conference realignment winners an I never see UNT on there. I guess most people fail to realize how big of a difference playing in CUSA is for UNT than the Sun Belt. UNT has their first football conference opponent in the state of Texas since they rejoined the FBS. UNT had been on an island, much like LT, and has suffer significantly for it. CUSA is a major boon, even with the Tulsa defection, just due to the proximity of opponents within the state.

The only Texas team I really feel bad for in all of this realignment mess is TxSt. They are going to have to deal with the same island concept that makes it difficult to sustain fan support above an eventual static level. Teams always have their diehard fans, but it is very hard to continue to grow a fanbase without some sort of sustainable conference rivalry. That is generally built through proximity and in Texas that means playing Texas teams.