CSNbbs
Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? (/thread-638403.html)

Pages: 1 2

Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - icehole3 - 07-01-2013 03:51 AM

Mayor Mallory has declared today Xavier day because X is officially in the Big East now.

http://www.goxavier.com/genrel/061113aaa.html

RE: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - pat5775 - 07-01-2013 06:47 AM

F*** Xavier

RE: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - jnewyouth - 07-01-2013 08:28 AM

I doubt we asked for one. If we had, we would've gotten it.

RE: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - FLIP - 07-01-2013 08:43 AM

Who cares! Other than Goergetown, it's a watered down league of has beens and now wannabes. One thing they still don't have is the city's name across their jerseys - and that will never happen!

RE: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - mlb - 07-01-2013 09:22 AM

UC got 1 back in 2005 when they joined the Big East.

RE: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - #41 - 07-01-2013 09:26 AM

(07-01-2013 08:43 AM)FLIP Wrote:  Who cares! Other than Goergetown, it's a watered down league of has beens and now wannabes.

And a league with Tulane, Houston, SMU, CFU, Memphis, ECU, Navy and Temple is...?

I mean, let's be real here.

RE: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - bearcatlawjd - 07-01-2013 09:29 AM

The Big East Conference that Xavier is joining is no where close to being the same conference Cincinnati played in. Its really a super Atlantic 10. Yes, Georgetown, Marquette and St. John's are still there but Syracuse, Pitt, WVU, UConn, Cincinnati, Louisville, and Notre Dame are all gone.

I also think the city should have declined to participate in the celebration because Xavier's new conference was a result of the implosion of the original Big East which hurt the city's namesake university.

The new Big East is going to suffer because Fox Sports 1 isn't ESPN and every conference without major college football has always been considered a mid-major.

Cincinnati has its own challenges in the American Athletic Conference, which most people will considered to be C-USA All Star edition. ESPN coverage will be an advantage. On the basketball side of things UConn, Memphis, Temple and Cincinnati are bigger names with larger alumni bases. Marquette, Xavier, Butler, and Creighton play good basketball but its going to be difficult for them to escape the smaller school underdog role.

Forget media perception because we are actually entering a new era of college basketball where you have 8 multiple bid major conferences. Depending on what happens with future conference expansion with the A-10 (VCU, Dayton, St. Louis) and WCC (BYU, Gonzaga, St. Mary's) there are two other leagues capable of sending multiple teams to the dance.

RE: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - indycat - 07-01-2013 09:36 AM

Haven't really talked to any X folks in recent months but my sense is they've slowly come to the realization that this league is a shadow of what it formerly was. MSG yes, but no ESPN broadcast of every one of those games. The "worldwide leader" will be televising the AAC tourney at that time.

No Louisville, Syracuse, UConn, Pitt, Notre Dame and Cincy; all replaced with small, regional, private schools lacking large alumni bases and national fan interest.

Not that it won't be a good conference and a step up from the A10. But it will never again be the subject of serious debate about being the best conference in the land. That ship has sailed.

So X should enjoy the mayor's proclamation and look forward to those titanic battles with DePaul, Seton Hall and Providence.

RE: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - bearcatmill - 07-01-2013 09:36 AM

(07-01-2013 09:26 AM)#41 Wrote:  
(07-01-2013 08:43 AM)FLIP Wrote:  Who cares! Other than Goergetown, it's a watered down league of has beens and now wannabes.

And a league with Tulane, Houston, SMU, CFU, Memphis, ECU, Navy and Temple is...?

We are in a league with fball, which trumps the A10 2.0. Fball drives the bus, whether those in the A10 2.0 like it or not.

RE: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - #41 - 07-01-2013 09:50 AM

(07-01-2013 09:36 AM)indycat Wrote:  Haven't really talked to any X folks in recent months but my sense is they've slowly come to the realization that this league is a shadow of what it formerly was. MSG yes, but no ESPN broadcast of every one of those games. The "worldwide leader" will be televising the AAC tourney at that time.

No Louisville, Syracuse, UConn, Pitt, Notre Dame and Cincy; all replaced with small, regional, private schools lacking large alumni bases and national fan interest.

Not that it won't be a good conference and a step up from the A10. But it will never again be the subject of serious debate about being the best conference in the land. That ship has sailed.

So X should enjoy the mayor's proclamation and look forward to those titanic battles with DePaul, Seton Hall and Providence.

Agreed -- but it's still a large uptick from titanic struggles against LaSalle, Duquense, Richmond, Fordham and St. Joes.

It's a quality move for X, but not nearly the level of move it was for UC when they moved to the old Big East.

RE: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - mlb - 07-01-2013 10:24 AM

(07-01-2013 09:29 AM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  I also think the city should have declined to participate in the celebration because Xavier's new conference was a result of the implosion of the original Big East which hurt the city's namesake university.

The new Big East is going to suffer because Fox Sports 1 isn't ESPN and every conference without major college football has always been considered a mid-major.

Completely disagree. X should get some nice publicity from the city, it is a great move for them.

1. The Big East is a HUGE step up from the A10.

2. FS1 will not hurt the perception of that league. Any league with Georgetown, Villanova, Xavier, Butler, St. John's, and Marquette will get very strong coverage no matter what network they are on. All of those schools will do great.

RE: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - icehole3 - 07-01-2013 11:34 AM

should'nt X be given the key to Norwood instead of the city?

RE: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - indycat - 07-01-2013 11:41 AM

(07-01-2013 11:34 AM)icehole3 Wrote:  should'nt X be given the key to Norwood instead of the city?

Good point--it's X Day in Norwood, OH, with all the publicity and benefits associated with that honor.

RE: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - 123az - 07-01-2013 12:07 PM

(07-01-2013 09:36 AM)bearcatmill Wrote:  

We are in a league with fball, which trumps the A10 2.0. Fball drives the bus, whether those in the A10 2.0 like it or not.

Yeah! That is why our TV contract is so much larger than the Big East!!! ...Oh wait 03-banghead

RE: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - bearcatlawjd - 07-01-2013 12:10 PM

There is one thing to play good basketball which those school will probably do but I doubt they ever be considered in the same light as the old Big East. In a lot of ways UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, and Louisville helped prop up the remaining members. No ESPN TV deal hurts badly. Go the the ESPN website during basketball season and they list ranked teams plus games on ESPN networks with a link to stream the game. Forget the hype during football season for early season basketball games, actually forget any hype at all.

Most of those schools are small schools without national appeal. Butler, Providence, Seton Hall, Creighton, DePaul and Xavier do very little to move the needle unless they are playing a bigger name school. People watch Bulter because they are the underdog dog that can pull the upset on top ranked Indiana, they are not going to care about Butler when they play most of their conference slate against good but not great teams. You can substitute Xavier and Cincinnati for Butler and Indiana and get the same result.

Going forward in college basketball the ACC and the Big Ten will be the top two conferences but the American, SEC, PAC-12, Big XII, Mountain West, and Big East will be fighting for next six spots each season.

RE: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - bearcatlawjd - 07-01-2013 12:13 PM

(07-01-2013 12:07 PM)123az Wrote:  
(07-01-2013 09:36 AM)bearcatmill Wrote:  

Yeah! That is why our TV contract is so much larger than the Big East!!! ...Oh wait 03-banghead

Fox overpaid the Catholics so they could leave early. Overpaying them allowed them to leave the settlement fund on the table. Fox needed programming and the ability for the American to receive a great settlement offer negated any haggling over a million or so dollars in a six year TV deal that can be looked at when Navy joins in 2015.

RE: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - Captain Bearcat - 07-01-2013 02:18 PM

This is a great move for them. They jumped from essentially the 7th best conference to what I think will be the 3rd best conference (after the ACC and Big 10).

It's also a big jump in academic prestige. X was near the top of the A-10 academically, but they're near the bottom of the Big East. Associating yourself with better schools tends to raise your image, similar to how UC's image improved in 2005.

Personally, I'm happy for them. I don't think that it hurts UC in any way. There's no reason our great city can't have two top-tier basketball teams.

RE: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - Bearcats#1 - 07-01-2013 02:25 PM

it's a nice upgrade for XU...If I was an XU fan I'd be excited too. That in itself doesn't mean the new big east is the same as the old big east, it's not. But it's still an upgrade for XU any way you slice it.

RE: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - bearcatmark - 07-01-2013 04:50 PM

It's a big upgrade for XU, there is no doubt about that, but it is worth noting that this season 14 of the last 15 Big East tournament champions will not be playing in the Big East. There is a big drop in quality from what the league was.

RE: Did UC get a UC day declared by the mayor? - CincyBro - 07-01-2013 05:36 PM

(07-01-2013 02:18 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  This is a great move for them. They jumped from essentially the 7th best conference to what I think will be the 3rd best conference (after the ACC and Big 10).

It's also a big jump in academic prestige. X was near the top of the A-10 academically, but they're near the bottom of the Big East. Associating yourself with better schools tends to raise your image, similar to how UC's image improved in 2005.

Personally, I'm happy for them. I don't think that it hurts UC in any way. There's no reason our great city can't have two top-tier basketball teams.

No way it's the 3rd best league. Big XII and AAC will be better, also might want to include PAC XII in there.