CSNbbs
UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks (/thread-637511.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - BE4evah - 06-22-2013 08:29 PM

UConn big dollar insider:

"it is coming from non-university affiliated people, so no chance of Susan getting caught professing love of AAC while lobbying B1G."

RE: UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - UCbball21 - 06-22-2013 08:48 PM

(06-22-2013 08:29 PM)BE4evah Wrote:  UConn big dollar insider:

"it is coming from non-university affiliated people, so no chance of Susan getting caught professing love of AAC while lobbying B1G."

I have a pretty hard time believing that UConn is on the B1G radar, but then again, they have proven that they belong more so than Rutgers ever did so it wouldn't shock me. UConn brings a lot to the table from a market standpoint and fits the B1G profile aside from there stadium and AAU (although they are close). There is no chance that UConn is a #15 but I guess they could potentially be a #16. If there is smoke, it begs the question...who would #15 be? Either way, if true then UConn is likely positioning themselves for the long term because I don't see much movement coming in the short.

RE: UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - bitcruncher - 06-22-2013 09:08 PM

That doesn't mean that UConn isn't begging every P5 conference in existence for relief...

RE: UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - RutgersMike - 06-22-2013 09:36 PM

If the B1G expands again, I would have to think their eyes would be on UVA and UNC.

RE: UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - He1nousOne - 06-22-2013 10:22 PM

Saw something as well, not saying whether it is about UConn or another Northeasterner but there is some smoke.

My only question if I could ask it to someone of actual consequence would be "Why now or anytime in the near future?"

Sixteen without anyone else there is too soon and pods with two Northeastern expansions makes for a terrible East pod.

Can't blame UConn for trying though if it is true.

RE: UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - lumberpack4 - 06-22-2013 10:25 PM

(06-22-2013 09:36 PM)RutgersMike Wrote:  If the B1G expands again, I would have to think their eyes would be on UVA and UNC.

Forget it - UNC and UVa will never, never leave the ACC for the B10. You also need to understand they can't leave without making certain that VT and NC State are "happy". Also, UNC will go nowhere without Duke. Those five are a pushme-pullyou.

The Big 10 is not that attractive. If they were, they could have landed someone other than Rutgers and MD. Maryland has been the sickman of the ACC since the Washington Nationals began to cut into the market - now they face 8 pro teams. Rutgers - well if that's a good move, why didn't the ACC take them?

UConn is of no value to the ACC, but probably is of some marginal value to the Big 10, but do you really think the B10 is going to add a football program that has been playing at highest level for only a dozen years? The B10 gets the same thing with UMass or SUNY-Buffalo.

RE: UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - lumberpack4 - 06-22-2013 10:26 PM

(06-22-2013 08:48 PM)UCbball21 Wrote:  

I have a pretty hard time believing that UConn is on the B1G radar, but then again, they have proven that they belong more so than Rutgers ever did so it wouldn't shock me. UConn brings a lot to the table from a market standpoint and fits the B1G profile aside from there stadium and AAU (although they are close). There is no chance that UConn is a #15 but I guess they could potentially be a #16. If there is smoke, it begs the question...who would #15 be? Either way, if true then UConn is likely positioning themselves for the long term because I don't see much movement coming in the short.

UConn is not close to AAU. Not by a longshot.

RE: UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - lumberpack4 - 06-22-2013 10:38 PM

Perhaps someone can answer this question - why does UConn deserve special treatment? What suddenly made UConn so great, when 15 years ago they were no different from UMass and any other NE school that played FCS football and division one basketball?

It seems to me they are asking for something they don't begin to deserve - a place at the FBS table with schools that have been playing at that level for 50-110 years.

In the ACC, the youngest FBS program is FSU. They were a girls school until the end of WWII. They have been FBS for 65 years. UNC, UVa, NCSU, GT, VT, Pitt, Syracuse, Clemson, etc., have been at the FBS level since the 19th Century. Who is the B10's youngest program? MSU - at 105 years old? The SEC's youngest program is 107 years old.

It appears to me that UConn is attempting to climb up into an environment in which they have no place and have not paid their dues - they are no different from USF, UCF, or a number of other formerly FCS schools trying to move up - the question is why does UConn deserve to move up, when others do not?

UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - chargeradio - 06-22-2013 10:44 PM

Could UConn take a Notre Dame-style deal with the ACC? UConn is obviously worth more to the ACC for basketball than football.

RE: UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - CrazyPaco - 06-22-2013 11:19 PM

(06-22-2013 10:26 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  

I second that. Decades away, if ever.

RE: UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - nzmorange - 06-22-2013 11:49 PM

(06-22-2013 10:44 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  Could UConn take a Notre Dame-style deal with the ACC? UConn is obviously worth more to the ACC for basketball than football.

Why would the ACC agree to that?

RE: UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - Marge Schott - 06-23-2013 09:01 AM

(06-22-2013 08:48 PM)UCbball21 Wrote:  UConn brings a lot to the table from a market standpoint and fits the B1G profile aside from there stadium and AAU (although they are close).

I disagree. They aren't close to AAU status because their research isn't that high. They are a smaller enrollment than nearly every Big Ten school and have a smaller endowment than every Big Ten school as well. I don't think the stadium location is a major issue but it, again, would be the smallest venue in the Big Ten.

(06-22-2013 11:49 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(06-22-2013 10:44 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  Could UConn take a Notre Dame-style deal with the ACC? UConn is obviously worth more to the ACC for basketball than football.

Why would the ACC agree to that?

Obviously the ACC won't.

If the ACC were to take all-sports-but-football (and hockey, gymnastics, etc) schools they'd just target Villanova, Georgetown and St. John's to group with ND.

(06-22-2013 10:38 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  In the ACC, the youngest FBS program is FSU. They were a girls school until the end of WWII. They have been FBS for 65 years.

Just to be clear, FSU was only all-female for 42 years out of its 162 year history. Prior to the early 1900's FSU was, at various times, either co-ed, all-male or a military institution (during the Civil War).

RE: UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - TerryD - 06-23-2013 09:04 AM

Lol, nice "stealth" move by UConn, if true.

I never believe all of this "misdirection" and "stealth" talk.

It is way too cloak and dagger plus it gets spread all over the internet.

If internet posters are all over it, then conference commissioners and school administrators would have to be in a coma to be fooled by any of this stuff.

RE: UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - UConn-SMU - 06-23-2013 08:31 PM

(06-22-2013 10:38 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  Perhaps someone can answer this question - why does UConn deserve special treatment? What suddenly made UConn so great, when 15 years ago they were no different from UMass and any other NE school that played FCS football and division one basketball?

It seems to me they are asking for something they don't begin to deserve - a place at the FBS table with schools that have been playing at that level for 50-110 years.

In the ACC, the youngest FBS program is FSU. They were a girls school until the end of WWII. They have been FBS for 65 years. UNC, UVa, NCSU, GT, VT, Pitt, Syracuse, Clemson, etc., have been at the FBS level since the 19th Century. Who is the B10's youngest program? MSU - at 105 years old? The SEC's youngest program is 107 years old.

It appears to me that UConn is attempting to climb up into an environment in which they have no place and have not paid their dues - they are no different from USF, UCF, or a number of other formerly FCS schools trying to move up - the question is why does UConn deserve to move up, when others do not?

Money, market, commitment to success, land-grant status, academics, etc. UConn probably the best combination of assets in the G5, rivaled only by BYU. And UConn probably offers more than a dozen P5 schools.

In this thread, you're spouting off a lot of negatives about a school you don't know much about.

BTW, the state of Connecticut just announced another $2 billion gift to UConn last week. This is to increase the research budget and get the undergrad enrollment up from 16K to 22K, mainly with science & engineering majors. UConn is dead serious about reaching the top 10 among public schools.

RE: UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - miko33 - 06-23-2013 08:45 PM

Another bullish!t rumor to pacify the UCONN fans who feel entitled to a P5 invite.

RE: UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - UConn-SMU - 06-23-2013 10:07 PM

(06-23-2013 08:45 PM)miko33 Wrote:  Another bullish!t rumor to pacify the UCONN fans who feel entitled to a P5 invite.

Even though we have more going for us than many P5 schools, I still don't feel "entitled" to a spot in the P5.

RE: UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - AntiG - 06-23-2013 10:12 PM

(06-22-2013 10:26 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  

UConn versus Rutgers in terms of deserving to be in the B1G... Fact of the matter is, football drives B1G sports and Rutgers has been the fourth best football program in the former Big East since Miami/VTech left, and has far and away out-recruited UConn annually. On top of that in terms of recent program momentum, Rutgers has been on the constant upstream while UConn has been dropping big-time.

That said, UConn obviously has shown they belong with the big boys with two good FBS football seasons in the old Big East, and of course their incredible basketball history. And of course they have been investing heavily in their overall athletic program.

As far as AAU goes, UConn I've heard is coming close. I wouldn't say its a longshot.

Finally, when it comes to money and influence, of the public FBS schools with high level athletic programs, UConn is one of the best choices due to their location and alumni base. A lot of Wall Streeters and government VIPs either have connections or will get involved due to the closeness to both NYC and Boston.

RE: UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - Flying Bearcat - 06-23-2013 10:17 PM

If true, is this news really that surprising?

RE: UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - UConn-SMU - 06-23-2013 11:04 PM

(06-23-2013 10:17 PM)Flying Bearcat Wrote:  If true, is this news really that surprising?

UConn to the B1G is not likely. Could it happen? Yes. But I believe it's less a than 50-50 chance. Maybe we have a 10% chance.

Two things I expect to happen:

1) UConn will continue to move up the academic ladder.
2) UConn will be in the AAC for a while.

RE: UConn insider: individuals retained to insulate President Hebst in secret talks - ohio1317 - 06-24-2013 07:03 AM

To the Big Ten in the immediate future, I'd wager money against. They only announced the 2014 and 2015 schedules in the last month or so. They had to go through all that division talk last year. They weren't going to go through all of that and then decide to add a school they could have added from the start a few months later. With Maryland and Rutgers, a little more time had passed (Nebraska was actually in the conference for one), but more than that, the situation had changed (ACC big expansion in northeast exposure).

For the ACC, while I'm sure the conference would love UConn basketball enough to add it in isolation, they aren't going to add someone who is always going to want to move in for football, but they don't want now. It's too awkward and the question of if they are joining/can join would always come up.