CSNbbs
OT: South Alabama question - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: OT: South Alabama question (/thread-636595.html)

Pages: 1 2

OT: South Alabama question - gassman - 06-13-2013 12:53 PM

This is completely irrelevant and off topic but I have always wondered why South Alabama was never mentioned as a potential CUSA expansion target. Is that because there were just stronger candidates or is there something inherently "wrong" or lacking about S. Alabama as a candidate?

RE: South Alabama question - MG61 - 06-13-2013 01:02 PM

(06-13-2013 12:53 PM)gassman Wrote:  This is completely irrelevant and off topic but I have always wondered why South Alabama was never mentioned as a potential CUSA expansion target. Is that because there were just stronger candidates or is there something inherently "wrong" or lacking about S. Alabama as a candidate?

They've been in the Belt a long time and should stay there.07-coffee3

RE: South Alabama question - MUsince96 - 06-13-2013 01:05 PM

Didn't they just move to FBS like 2 season ago?

RE: South Alabama question - EagleX - 06-13-2013 01:07 PM

now, there is a question that I never, ever, EVER, EVER expected to hear.

ever.

ever.

RE: South Alabama question - BeliefBlazer - 06-13-2013 01:10 PM

USM. That's why.

RE: South Alabama question - WinOrLoseEAGLE - 06-13-2013 01:17 PM

(06-13-2013 01:02 PM)MG61 Wrote:  
(06-13-2013 12:53 PM)gassman Wrote:  This is completely irrelevant and off topic but I have always wondered why South Alabama was never mentioned as a potential CUSA expansion target. Is that because there were just stronger candidates or is there something inherently "wrong" or lacking about S. Alabama as a candidate?

They've been in the Belt a long time and should stay there.07-coffee3

You rock dude. Ever think about creating and hosting your own version of CFBdatawarehouse?

It seems most USM fans don't want them...and NOT inviting them makes sense in one regard - proximity. However, most of those same folks LIKED tulane in the conference and the proximity is almost precisely the same. PERSONALLY, I can take 'em or leave 'em...but if expansion hits again I do hope they get a fair shot at C-USA.

RE: South Alabama question - EagleX - 06-13-2013 01:19 PM

(06-13-2013 01:10 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  USM. That's why.

ever.

RE: South Alabama question - FAUAEPi - 06-13-2013 01:37 PM

SoAl has a solid program down there. Untapped market, good sized stadium with the possibility of an OCS. Good basketball and baseball programs. I've thought the same thing.

RE: South Alabama question - SgtGoldenEagle - 06-13-2013 01:44 PM

South Alabama is too new and more importantly too close to Hattiesburg. Mobile is a recruiting area of USM and I am surprised that USM has USA on it's future schedule.

RE: South Alabama question - Dracorex - 06-13-2013 02:01 PM

(06-13-2013 01:37 PM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  SoAl has a solid program down there. Untapped market, good sized stadium with the possibility of an OCS. Good basketball and baseball programs. I've thought the same thing.

USM just got a QB commitment from UMS Wright. One of the better football schools in the state and better Mobile co Schools. My HS has a running streak of like 8 or 9 years straight of being knocked out in the playoffs by one of the Mobile High schools. They have some really good programs down there.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/06/ums-wright_quarterback_gunner.html

It is a great market but it is owned by Southern Miss unfortunately for my alma mater who could use the Mobile area kids.

I've said for years, USA will only be in CUSA when USM leaves. Troy will only get an invite when UAB leaves.

RE: South Alabama question - jay2000 - 06-13-2013 02:26 PM

(06-13-2013 02:01 PM)Dracorex Wrote:  
(06-13-2013 01:37 PM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  SoAl has a solid program down there. Untapped market, good sized stadium with the possibility of an OCS. Good basketball and baseball programs. I've thought the same thing.

USM just got a QB commitment from UMS Wright. One of the better football schools in the state and better Mobile co Schools. My HS has a running streak of like 8 or 9 years straight of being knocked out in the playoffs by one of the Mobile High schools. They have some really good programs down there.

It is a great market but it is owned by Southern Miss unfortunately for my alma mater who could use the Mobile area kids.

I've said for years, USA will only be in CUSA when USM leaves. Troy will only get an invite when UAB leaves.

What if something like this happened:

Tech, UTSA, Rice, UTEP to MWC

USM, UAB, Charlotte, Marshall to American

Remianing 6 CUSA schools joined by James Madison, South Alabama, Ark St, ULL. Plus maybe Tex St and GA St.

05-stirthepot

RE: South Alabama question - 49erlew - 06-13-2013 02:27 PM

My dad played at UMS in the early sixties, back before it merged with Wright. To this day he still brags about knocking Kenny Stabler's helmet five yards behind him.

RE: South Alabama question - 49erlew - 06-13-2013 02:28 PM

(06-13-2013 02:26 PM)jay2000 Wrote:  

What if something like this happened:

Tech, UTSA, Rice, UTEP to MWC

USM, UAB, Charlotte, Marshall to American

Remianing 6 CUSA schools joined by James Madison, South Alabama, Ark St, ULL. Plus maybe Tex St and GA St.

05-stirthepot

I'm cool with that, so long as ODU can come too.

RE: South Alabama question - johndavidblue - 06-13-2013 02:33 PM

It just sounds like a good ole protectionist attitude. Why don't you just come out and say it without placing it between the lines. Southern Miss doesn't know if they would be able to compete with the Mobile and south Alabama market if there was ever a reason to extend an offer to USA.

Makes it much much simpler and I would be more apt to agree with you!

(06-13-2013 01:44 PM)SgtGoldenEagle Wrote:  

South Alabama is too new and more importantly too close to Hattiesburg. Mobile is a recruiting area of USM and I am surprised that USM has USA on it's future schedule.

RE: South Alabama question - AtlantaEagle - 06-13-2013 02:55 PM

(06-13-2013 02:33 PM)johndavidblue Wrote:  It just sounds like a good ole protectionist attitude. Why don't you just come out and say it without placing it between the lines. Southern Miss doesn't know if they would be able to compete with the Mobile and south Alabama market if there was ever a reason to extend an offer to USA.

Not entirely sure of the nature of your post, but it's done everyday in the business private sector & at every conference level.
Call it what you want, but It's smart business.
If C-USA wants another startup in football, I'd guess GA State will probably be a front runner.

RE: South Alabama question - SgtGoldenEagle - 06-13-2013 03:05 PM

(06-13-2013 02:33 PM)johndavidblue Wrote:  It just sounds like a good ole protectionist attitude. Why don't you just come out and say it without placing it between the lines. Southern Miss doesn't know if they would be able to compete with the Mobile and south Alabama market if there was ever a reason to extend an offer to USA.

truthfully our area is so heavily recruited by so many teams that when you have a pretty good foothold into an area like the Mobile Area, then you don't want to have a fellow conference member that could compete and offer the same things you offer. It is stupid to even think USM would hurt itself by adding USA and losing that important area. What a dumb thing it would be for any school to give up a valuable area especially when we have (or had) a strong area like Birmingham that we have to share with fellow conference member UAB who we are fine with. Think about the dumbness of adding USA for USM and it becomes simple logic.

RE: South Alabama question - FloridaJag - 06-13-2013 03:54 PM

(06-13-2013 03:05 PM)SgtGoldenEagle Wrote:  

truthfully our area is so heavily recruited by so many teams that when you have a pretty good foothold into an area like the Mobile Area, then you don't want to have a fellow conference member that could compete and offer the same things you offer. It is stupid to even think USM would hurt itself by adding USA and losing that important area. What a dumb thing it would be for any school to give up a valuable area especially when we have (or had) a strong area like Birmingham that we have to share with fellow conference member UAB who we are fine with. Think about the dumbness of adding USA for USM and it becomes simple logic.

Mobile is the largest school system in the state. I have high school classmates that went to USM. USM and USA would be a great rivalry. There is no such thing as USM losing Mobile to USA because that is nonsense.

Alabama, Auburn, LSU and most schools recruit Mobile. USM has already "lost it" to Alabama, Auburn, LSU, West Virginia ...etc.

RE: South Alabama question - johndavidblue - 06-13-2013 04:05 PM

It didn't stop MTSU blocking WKU did it?

What exactly do you mean that "it's done everyday in the business private sector..."? Are you referring to protectionism? Maybe a job protected by a local workers union would have the barriers to entry and tiered status of benefits but in the daily grind, I know of no such protectionism in a true profit driven company.

BTW, the nature of my post was to converse. Nothing more. I am not a flamer and don't intend to be.

(06-13-2013 02:55 PM)AtlantaEagle Wrote:  

Not entirely sure of the nature of your post, but it's done everyday in the business private sector & at every conference level.
Call it what you want, but It's smart business.
If C-USA wants another startup in football, I'd guess GA State will probably be a front runner.

RE: South Alabama question - AtlantaEagle - 06-13-2013 04:30 PM

(06-13-2013 04:05 PM)johndavidblue Wrote:  It didn't stop MTSU blocking WKU did it?

What exactly do you mean that "it's done everyday in the business private sector..."? Are you referring to protectionism? Maybe a job protected by a local workers union would have the barriers to entry and tiered status of benefits but in the daily grind, I know of no such protectionism in a true profit driven company.

BTW, the nature of my post was to converse. Nothing more. I am not a flamer and don't intend to be.

Would the Atlanta Braves allow another club in Birmingham or Nashville? Charlotte's having a hard enough time because of the Braves "territory."
What's the difference?
As far as WKU, not sure MTSU in their new found position, was in a position to block anyone.
I really don't see the problem. The question's moot anyway until USA grows their athletic program.

RE: OT: South Alabama question - gassman - 06-13-2013 04:47 PM

That explains it. That is exactly the kind of regional specific knowledge that this board can provide. Thanks!